Moparts

Turbo Exh System plans

Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Turbo Exh System plans - 09/14/10 04:33 PM

Attached is a pic of my plans for the exhaust system on my 94. Originally, I was going to just run a single Magnaflow muffler off of the downpipe, but I was warned that would be a little loud (I know that is subjective...). I listened to a Mustang with that setup and it is a pretty deep, throaty sound. While it sounds nice and racey, that is not the sounds Im going for.

I want super quiet, stock sounding as possible!

So my idea is to come off the downpipe with a Magnaflow 3" to 3" transition (or any brand transition that is the best for this) to all mandrel bent 3" pipe to 2 Magnaflow mufflers (big cases) to tailpipes that merge together for 1 outlet that will exit in front of the rear passenger tire. I don't think I can go over the ladder bar to exit behind the rear wheel, but if I can, I will do that.

What do yall think?

Where is the best price to get the materials?

Thanks!

Attached picture 6195643-exh.jpg
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/14/10 04:46 PM

turbos are not loud I ran my GN's without a muffler for awhile.For the best results noise and power I would use a single as large as possible
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/14/10 04:50 PM

Why split the exhaust just to merge it again? Just size the pipe slightly larger if necessary....just my opinion.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/14/10 04:57 PM

www.mandrel-bends.com for exhaust pieces. BEst prices I could find
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/14/10 05:17 PM

I'd just run one BIG pipe and muffler. Where's the cut-out going?

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/14/10 05:47 PM

Thanks for the link on the exh pieces.

My other option, which I will probably do is run 2 mufflers in series with one tail pipe.

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/14/10 05:48 PM

"Where's the cut-out going? "

Are you refering to the "tail pipe" which will go in front of the rear tire..

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/14/10 05:58 PM

Quote:

"Where's the cut-out going? "

Are you refering to the "tail pipe" which will go in front of the rear tire..

no where is the cut-out...like uncapping the exhaust at the track... for max HP. I'd run something like this w/ a 4" pipe, cut out and muffler.

Attached picture 6195787-exh.jpg

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/14/10 06:12 PM

no cut out...run it like I drive it... I have never driven a car down the track that is mine that has not been like I drive it on the street.
Posted By: Cranky

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/14/10 06:43 PM

Me either

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/14/10 07:32 PM

FWIW my buddy has an 8 second Omni w/ a W5 SB w/ a 93mm turbo and no exhaust, you can hardley hear the thing. I'd think if you just ran a large diameter pipe all the way out the back it'd be pretty quiet.
Posted By: Cranky

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/15/10 03:56 PM

Have a straight pipe on my diesel and it's kinda loud in the lower rpm range but it gets quiet as the rpm gets higher.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/15/10 04:59 PM

one big one does a better job just like yo8u always would use a larger downpipe
Posted By: 1badx

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/15/10 05:41 PM

A single turbo is all the muffler you need.

If you were running twins then it would be worth considering mufflers.
Posted By: blowndart

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/15/10 06:30 PM

I don't know. My single turbo, which has a 5" splitting out to two 3 1/2" pipes and mufflers, is much louder than I like. Not as loud as if it were not going through the turbine, but still not anywhere near as quite a some stock setup on a new car, for example. I have to think that the larger the diameter of the exhaust pipe, the less effective the muffler is at reducing sound. I'd think you would want to run the smallest size pipe you can run without seeing an increase in back pressure, if you're looking for the quietest setup.
Posted By: Randy514

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/15/10 06:52 PM

I would keep it simple. The muffler with the biggest body will generally dissipate the most sound and flow the most air provided you have adequate inlet outlet size.......with that being said I would run the longest round muffler you can fit and keep it single. The round muffler will give you more clearance. And when you race it, you can always open up the cutout. Running two short round muffler inline would also be an option if space permits.....

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/15/10 08:46 PM

I think I will run the biggest Magnaflow I can get with a 3" inlet and maybe run 2 1/2" tail pipe. If that is still too loud, I will run a few mufflers in series.

"And when you race it, you can always open up the cutout"

Read a few posts above...

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/15/10 09:06 PM

Quote:

I think I will run the biggest Magnaflow I can get with a 3" inlet and maybe run 2 1/2" tail pipe. If that is still too loud, I will run a few mufflers in series.

"And when you race it, you can always open up the cutout"

Read a few posts above...

I have a knock of flowmaster 3" in and dual 2.5's. Sounds good, not near as loud as the old flowmaster 3" in and single 3" out I had before. 1st exhaust on my 95 was a 3" dynomax w/ dual 2.5's. It was almost too quiet.

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/15/10 10:11 PM

"It was almost too quiet."

That's what Im looking for!
Posted By: furious70

Re: Turbo Exh System plans - 09/16/10 04:56 PM

I would think for your power level you'd want a 4" down pipe for sure and then just run diesel spec stuff, 4" pipe and a big aftermarket cummins muffler?
© 2024 Moparts Forums