Moparts

What insert do you guys recommend for a collector?

Posted By: haddixj

What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/11/10 11:10 PM

Just got the car running and it is loud what insert do you guys recommend? The car chemistry ones or dyna tech cone ones? Thanks Jason
Posted By: ProSport

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/11/10 11:17 PM

Neither, just attach mufflers to the collectors. I've never heard anything good about those inserts.
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/11/10 11:24 PM

if you have a 3" collector, try putting a 2" outside dia. pipe in the collector after you install the choker, uh, i mean the insert. i can't stand those things!!!!!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/11/10 11:28 PM

No comment on those things

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/11/10 11:28 PM

The collector exits out the fender so mufflers are out of the question the car sits a few inchs off the ground so inserts are the only option oh and there 4 inch
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 12:08 AM

A stainless steel hootie valve works good! Race cars are supposed to have open headers! Old School all the way!

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 02:00 AM

What is a hootie valve
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 03:18 AM

Quote:

The collector exits out the fender so mufflers are out of the question the car sits a few inchs off the ground so inserts are the only option oh and there 4 inch

when i said 3", that was just for reference. if you have a 4" collector, you obviously want a 4" collector. with the insert, you will have about 3"
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 04:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

when i said 3", that was just for reference. if you have a 4" collector, you obviously want a 4" collector. with the insert, you will have about 3"

Will these inserts work to quiet the car for street driving? I was really hoping to use them for that! I planned my street exhaust hookup around using them.
What is the main issue?
Posted By: joshking440

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 04:16 AM

dynatech makes a set that I have seen used. They didnt make my buddies car quite enough so he wrapped them with some muffler packing and the got a lot better

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 04:26 AM

Quote:

dynatech makes a set that I have seen used. They didnt make my buddies car quite enough so he wrapped them with some muffler packing and the got a lot better

Well I guess I can experiment. I thought they were like the baffles used in boat headers, and would get me by.
Thanks,
Mark

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 04:28 AM

http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_US...ortex_conesonly

Pics if you havent seen them yet...

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 04:38 AM

Are those preferred over the Car Chemistry?
Unfortunately that is what I have now.
Thanks for the link,
Mark

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 04:42 AM

Not familiar with the car chemistry inserts....if the header exits the fender, do you have the length to do the car chemistry style?

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 05:17 AM

My exhaust is side exit rear, in front of the wheel openings. It's close to the floor, and merges to ovalized for ground clearance.
The Car Chemistry inserts slide into the header collectors.
I really don't have room for mufflers.

http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=20
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 02:08 PM

Will these inserts work to quiet the car for street driving?

Yes, it will take at least 2 hours for permanent hearing loss, instead of 10 minutes.

What they don't do:
"have no effect on power"
"effectively quiet open exhaust"

What they do best:
transfer money from your bank to theirs

Re: What insert do you guys recommend for a collector? - 09/12/10 04:38 PM

Yes, it will take at least 2 hours for permanent hearing loss, instead of 10 minutes.

What they don't do:
"have no effect on power"
"effectively quiet open exhaust"

What they do best:
transfer money from your bank to theirs

Since they have already done what they do best,and I am not looking to gain power. Hopefully, I can modify the baffles to lower the dbs to an acceptable level.
If not, I will have to be content to set off car alarms, and be equally as irritating as the big sub woofer gang. Maybe get a nod and smile from the loud pipes save lives crowd!!
Does anyone have experience with mods to these? Successful or otherwise would be of some help.
I have my exhaust system finished and ceramic coated, so I am committed to using these for some time.
Thanks,
Mark
© 2024 Moparts Forums