Moparts

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!"

Posted By: 1BadMeepMeep

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 08:28 PM

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - Muscle Motors 2010 catalog (p.3)

So let me preface this by saying I've been lurking here for awhile, but this is my first post. I hope this doesn't marginalize what I have to say.

I noticed a negative Muscle Motors rant recently, and was tempted to jump in. I tried to resolve my recent issues with them repeatedly over the phone, but to no avail. I'm going to the Monster Mopar weekend at Gateway this weekend, and I don't want my experience to be tainted by this resentment I'm carrying around. In that spirit, I'm trying one final time to find recompense prior to attending an event I know they'll be at.

Last fall I killed a piston in my 528. I wasn't that upset about it because I wanted to move up to a 572 anyway. I talked with my regular engine builder, and he didn't think he could fit my project into his winter schedule. In lieu, he recommended Muscle Motors due to the positive feedback he'd heard on here. He gave me their catalog, and I read through it, impressed.

I called Mike up and explained my project: a 572 Six-Pak that runs on pump gas. He promised me a 30-day turnaround and a PROMISED MINIMUM of 800HP. Sounds good, right? So I took my whole combination up to Michigan, and headed home.

30 days, 2 months, 3 months, 5 months passed. Finally, March came and I got the call. My motor's done!

Part list:
new World block
new Callies crank
new Diamond pistons (with a 30 cc dish)
new oil pan, pickup and pump
new cam
new pushrods (one piece)
new valve springs
new rocker adjusters
same heads, replaced the 2.19 valves w new 2.25 valves, same T&D rockers
same lifters
same intake (kind of...see below)
same carbs (but modified...see below)
same Jesel belt drive
same crank pickup
same distributor/cap/rotor (strangely modified...see below)

I got a single dyno sheet with a claimed 820HP and my motor, with a supposed three runs on it. I asked for a build sheet, and was told that I would receive one in the future. According to their catalog, "All sizes are recorded on a build sheet that is available at the time of purchase." (p.8) To date, I have still not received one.

I noticed for the dyno runs that they replaced the Six-Pak with a single 4bbl. Their reasoning was that it made more HP with the 4bbl. I asked for my Six-Pak setup back, since that was what I wanted to run. Eventually they did. So I took it home, and gave it to my engine builder here to dyno it, break it in since it only had three runs on it, and to back up the numbers.

He put it on his dyno (with my 6Pak), and it maked NO horsepower. He couldn't get more than 680hp out of it. After four passes, he decided something was wrong, so he took it off and tore it down. What he found was flat out terrifying.

1. He checked the static compression. Keep in mind, this was supposed to be a pump gas motor. When checked, the compression was 11.87:1. The breakaway rotational torque, without plugs, was measured at 90 ft-lbs.

2. When he drained the oil, it was so glittered, he thought he was back in the 70's. Come to find out, the main bearings were eating themselves up. One crank journal was already SEVERELY scored. The oil pan magnet was fully loaded with particulate. There was an abundance of silicone in the pickup as well. I have attached a pic of the filter media, clogged with glitter.

3. The balance job on the crank was very poorly executed. The counterweights were obliterated with huge holes that had been plunged to within an inch of their lives, some over 2" plunge depth. One of the weights had been filled back in with a welded freeze plug to cap it. All of this despite their assertion in their catalog that "...if you are paying to get your kit balanced, you should get it balance (sic) correctly." (p.16) The obvious correct balance method would have included a reduction in the counterweight diameter as opposed to a half dozen 1” diameter holes, plunged nearly all the way through the counterweight. The bearing clearances as measured ranged from .0009 to a maximum of .0015, way too tight to ever be assembled at a competent machine shop. They utilized .001 undersized main bearing to accomplish this.

4. The Jesel belt drive had been installed at A+0, but had “A-5=108 degrees” inked on it. The adjustment bolts on the cam timing hub were coated in so much Loctite that one of the bolt holes STRIPPED when it was loosened. I'm told that these are NEVER supposed to be Loctited.

5. The cam itself had massive lift and duration, probably partially owing to the high compression. I also did not receive my old roller cam, nor a credit for it.

6. For some reason, they drilled out the bleeder holes in my 2bbl carbs and plugged them with BB's. It is my understanding that this is an old trick to improve acceleration, but the fact is they now run horribly. I'm particularly disappointed about this because I have spent thousands of dollars and years getting them tuned. They're essentially ruined. I was not consulted on this decision, nor was I informed. I found out when I took it home.

7. The heads were apparently cut .075", and the intake was re-cut to fit. This also hurt my pump gas aspirations and made it difficult to return the engine to a reasonable static compression.

8. My old oil pump was replaced with a different one, complete with a 2 piece Milodon pump cover with standard gasket. I had a modified high-volume pump on there, and it was replaced with a standard volume one that was unrelieved. This is odd to me after reading in their catalog about how they "always use(d) high volume oil pumps in any performance engine build." (p.15), and that they DO NOT use the Milodon cover due to the many gasket failures. This seems wholly illogical to me because the World block is plumbed for a -12AN line to start with, deleting the need for an aftermarket pump cover of any kind.

9. My old three-piece pushrods were replaced with one-piece pushrods. I did not receive my old ones back, or a credit for them.

10. I did not receive my old valve springs back, nor a credit for them.

11. The distributor came back with the drive shaft tab that engages the pump drive ground down and a collar on it that seemed to do nothing. I could get no explanation on this, but we replaced the distributor shaft to fully engage the pump drive.

12. The new valve springs had .075" of shim under every single one, yet they installed lash caps, which I absolutely did not want due to the many street miles I drive. When the lash caps were removed, the rockers hit the retainers. They reused my old valve locks, which were worn hard from the 4 years of previous street use with high spring pressures. All of this was a simple fix- we installed -.050 valve locks, throw away the lash caps and shims, and all was good once again.

13. The new pistons were scored by burrs at the bottom of the bores because the bores had not been deburred, and they showed scuff marks on the skirts from nickel to quarter size, indicating that the bores were too tight and would have NEVER lived on the street. We rechecked the bore sizes, the clearances ranged from .0053 to .0065, none were round or straight.

14. The lifter bores were bushed, but were not drilled for oil holes to accommodate street driving.

15. Two connecting rods had their caps switched. They both measured .0015+ out of round, with the larger one measuring .002+ out of round as ran.

16. Muscle Motors installed 2.25 intake valves to increase the flow in my max ported Indy SR’s over the previous 2.19’s. We retested these on a SF-600 flowbench, the old versions flowed 356, the new 350, another failure.

17. After 4 runs at my engine builder's, and a supposed 3 runs at Muscle Motors, the cylinders leaked between 3% and 19%.

After being re-engineered/redone/what-have-you, including a smaller camshaft, it dynoed at 722hp in pump gas mode with the 6 pack setup.

Having spent well north of 20K with Muscle Motors on this project, I called to discuss this. I simply asked for reimbursement for the money I spent to repair it. I got the runaround for three weeks, and then got a verbal agreement for full reparations. They cut me a check for half of what I asked for, claiming that they would make it “completely right” soon after. When I tried to finalize our verbal agreement in the following weeks, I continued to get the runaround. I called over thirty times during a six week period, and finally was told that Muscle Motors felt we were even. I would get no more recompense, nor would I receive my old parts. Also missing in the exchange, besides the remainder of my hard parts, were several braided hoses, brackets and misc accessories from the 528.

As another aside, I decided to redo the engine again, and we recently installed Indy 440-1 heads, ported by Jeff at Modern Cylinder Head, and dynoed the motor at 798hp, pump gas, with the 6 pack. Knowing that the 6 pack wasn’t really enough air for this combo, we switched tops on the Indy NSS manifold and checked out twin four barrel carbs, resulting in 840hp with no tuning.

I have more pics from the reverse engineering process documenting the poor machining, installation and overall poor condition of the motor after a purported seven dyno runs.

Attached picture 6184866-p_0009.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 09:03 PM

All I can say is.............."someone`s got some splaining to do"........
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 09:14 PM

Thats just wrong. I know they lurk on this site, perhaps they have a side to the story. BUT, I hate it when I don't get my parts back, even replaced parts. I want to see what was happening.
Posted By: MoparPitBull

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 09:21 PM

Posted By: tubtar

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 09:22 PM

It don't sound too good for them fellas.
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 09:53 PM

I am sorry to hear about all of your problems!

I hope that MM gets on here and explains them selves,
because this sounds like complete horse sh!t!!!
Posted By: QWK_ENUF

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 10:02 PM

whats the story Mike
Posted By: BradH

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 10:07 PM

Ooooohhhh... posts like this always leave me with an uncomfortable feeling.
Posted By: Bill_LBSR

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 10:07 PM

Definitely know the feeling. Been waiting on my engine for over 2 years from another engine builder. Not fun sitting out a season of racing or multiple seasons waiting.
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 10:10 PM

I had a car for sale earlier this year and a guy calls me to discuss it........Nice guy.......We're shooting the breeze and he asks me if I've ever used Muscle Motors and I say "Yes, in the past, to buy pistons, rods, and stroker kits".........he then goes into this horror story of how he had a motor built there, how long it took and all of the issues he'd had, how he'd sent them a Fogger kit for them to plumb, then when he got the bill they'd charged him for the kit, and on and on.........It freaked me out because I'd never heard anything bad about them before.......I figured there was another side to the story and didn't think too much about it, but now, it seems there may be a pattern developing.......
Posted By: QWK_ENUF

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 10:22 PM

Posted By: plycuda

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 10:42 PM

welcome to my world. Did he tell you how all these things just came to lite to him because he had some one else doing his engines. I could go on for pages with all the problems I had on this predator head motor. I've just cut my loses. Tony (boatracer572) knew way more about the engine than mike, so I talked to him now to ask any questions.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 10:43 PM

Sorry for this gentleman`s issues and I hate to see these post`s also...............I`m the only one who builds my stuff,not cos I`m the best just cos I enjoy it and I(somewhat)trust myself. Hope it gets resolved............

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 11:32 PM

Quote:

...I`m the only one who builds my stuff,not cos I`m the best just cos I enjoy it and I(somewhat)trust myself.

I build mine now because I got tired of paying somebody else to screw up my engines when I'm perfectly capable of doing that all by myself.
Posted By: MuscleMike

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 11:35 PM

We screwed up! No tap dance, no weak excuses.

The delay initally was block avaiblity, out of my control. The FIRST block we asssembled, and attemped to dyno has casting problems and would not circulate water. In the appearent rush (since we were dreadful late in delivery) the clearances in the second block machined, were assumed, screwed up, I don't know? Of course World/Mopar Performance never did anything about the useless block or the machining. We ate that, that's just life.

I don't know exactly what went wrong. Scott who does assembly is VERY thurogh and it is not like him but obviously we messed up.

There is no magic in Indy SR heads, no matter who, no matter how they will flow 350 CFM + or - depeding on who's bench. Marks heads had two really good ports but the shortside radius' were not all the same. Before I had Jeff @ modern run his program thru the heads six shortside radius' were as much as a .120 taller than the "good ports" . Short story long, the ports WERE NOT consistant. The equalized ports and bigger valves will help a bigger engine, this is why this work was preformed.

Initally we had sent the carbs out and had them done and appearnly what they did was incorrect. The engine did not run well with the 6 pak carbs we are responsible for so we tried a 1x4 and it ran makedly better. I told Mark Bastemeryer (the customer I dealt with)that I had the carbs modified, what we had done appearnlty didn't work so have your carb guy go thru them and send me a bill. He had his guy redo the carbs and I paid him the $700ish he asked for. He was then going to have the engine redynoed locally. I figured I would owe him for some dyno time and life would go forward.

Next thing I know i get a bill for $5000. A lot of you out there I know are in business. Let me ask you a question: if you do something, and something goes wrong, you are responsible correect? But isn't the customers responsiblitly to bring it back to you to fix it? Example: You don't buy a product from Home Depot, have problems, take it to Lowes to get it fixed and send home Depot the bill?? You take (or at least inform the original provider) there is a problem and let them decide what to do about it, correct?

I sent $3000 dollars in a effort to make it right but when you do not tell me you have major problems and then go somewhere else I dont feel it is my obligation to pay someone else to do what we were responsible for. If it was as messed up as Mark says then I would have had a shpping company pick it up correct it and then sent it back no charge.

Should it have been right to begin with, Yes! Did we screw up, it apears we did. But I will also say the sign of a good shop is one who takes care of a problem when there is one. I can't fix it if I dont know about it. And then send me a bill is not letting me know about it.

Mike @MM

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 11:51 PM

thanks for your side of the story.

You make it sound like all of this was fixed and there are no problems.

But he says you did not come through and fix all the problems.

I dont blame him for having someone else fix the mistakes.

You are not a fly by night company. you come highly respected.

If i got shafted like this from you or any other major big time shop,

there is no way you would get another chance of giving me more of the shaft.

Noone is perfect, but it shouldnt come to this.

I hope both parties are able to work this out.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/08/10 11:55 PM

That`s stand up stuff right there and was waiting for you to post. We ALL make mistakes and the bigger man/shop makes it right and I agree about taking it back to those that assembled/dynoed it in the first place but, that`s a whole nother story.
Posted By: old_racer

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 12:03 AM

also ,what happens' to the old parts, ie, cam,pushrods, springs etc. the parts have some value to someone.
thanks
Russ
Posted By: Leigh

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 12:14 AM

I read these stories, and am thankful as ever to have dealt with Mike, Gary and Todd Tesar. They were slow, but they are consumate proffesionals. No stone remained unturned. The engine remains perfect, 15 years later (3 freshenups) I say it's poor communication (both with customers and employees), scheduling and management. They know how to do it, just on a hit or miss success. Not a personal slam, just a business tip off: Get in tune with your customer base, or watch it dry up.
Posted By: sr4440

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 12:20 AM

820 hp then moved to a different dyno and it's under 700? a single dyno sheet after 3 runs and no build sheet?
if they had done a build sheet would there have been a "screw up"?

Joe
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 02:06 AM

Times are tough, money is tight. When someone steps up to spend money to get something done they expect service. This includes talking to them and explaining whats going on. If this takes a status call every week so be it. I have a MM stroker kit in my car and dealing with them was no hassle. However, a business is only as good as its last satisfied/dissatified customer and with the internet it don't take long for the word to get out.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 02:20 AM

Quote:

also ,what happens' to the old parts, ie, cam,pushrods, springs etc. the parts have some value to someone.
thanks
Russ

I have to agree and that part slipped me.............would be nice to know about the "used" customers parts.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 02:59 AM

WOW! lots of Muscle Motors issues lately... Kinda of a sticky topic here! I had a few issues in the past myself but I gave the original place the opportunity to make things right and they always did! I can see how MM would be conserned with that and not given the opportunity to make things right! seems like MM gave them $3700 back about regardless! Im not to sure many shops would do that... I think for situations like this its impossible to find the balance point of who owes who what and there will be no winner regarldess... just sayin!
Posted By: Big_Fish

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 03:06 AM

Wow, is all I can say. This is every enthusiests biggest fear when not behind the wheel (getting ripped off). Sounds pretty involved now with all the hands in the cookie jar to make it easy to resolve. But that's why we have a court system for that amount of loot involved. At 6 months I would have picked up my stuff and pulled out sensing issues on the horizon. Best of luck to both.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 03:15 AM

Yea sure no one perfect
But to make mistake after mistake, after mistake, and sounds like a cover up.
How is it they never bother to check bearing clearances, and assembling techniques that a high school auto class would catch?
I can understand a few things that were listed but some are unforgivable from a person whom you trust to spend your hard earned money.
I dont blame him for sourcing the engine work elsewhere why would he? maybe he was afraid you would replace most of the engine, keep the parts again, and make him pay again? Who knows? Why would he trust you?
You gotta put your self in his shoe's, thing is they had no problem cashing his check, seemed they got what they wanted...
" I got mine, to h.e.l.l. with yours"
Not only did they botch the build, sounded like someone kept some parts and screwed up his six pack carbs to boot. Had to plead to get them back even.
Aint it funny how they seem to always answer the phone before the check gets cashed than after?
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 03:42 AM

Take whatever side you feel, but there are two facts as both sides have spoken:

1) The motor was a mess. BUT...

2) I didn't see the OP saying he contacted MM when it dynoed so poorly. Or when he found all of the issues when taken apart.

I have to wonder how something got out the door like that at MM, BUT...they were never given a chance to fix it.

A no win for each party involved...
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 03:51 AM

My thinking goes like this........If you can't pay them to do the
job right, I don't expect they will do it right for FREE!
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 04:59 AM

sure wish world blocks would man up on there bogus main stud deal, like MM did on this post.
Posted By: mbogina

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 04:27 PM

while MM did "man up" and admit mistakes were made, it sure doesn't sound like the situation was ever really resolved to either parties satisfaction. The Mopar community is pretty solid, we don't need fractures like this that don't get resolved. What say Mike/Mark- can you guys get together on this?
Posted By: Commando1

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 07:03 PM

Quote:

What say Mike/Mark- can you guys get together on this?

They don't need cheerleaders. They've both acted like adults about the situation so far.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 07:05 PM

" I called over thirty times during a six week period, "
Posted By: cptn60

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 07:40 PM

Quote:

Posted By: d7cook

- - 09/09/10 08:09 PM

If they screwed it up that bad I sure wouldn't take it back to them!

The worse part is admitting they took 20K to build a motor and didn't check the clearances.
Posted By: Thor500

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/09/10 08:48 PM

Quote:

Thats the truth there! The only reason for the humbleness from Muscle Motors is because it was aired on this site IMO. I'll stick with 440Source and my local engine builder!
Posted By: Labratt

Re: - - 09/10/10 04:55 AM

20 grand to build a JUNK motor???!!! I only paid $2500 to have mine built...and never had an issue,after 5 yrs. of ABUSE! Thank You Todd Fisher!!!(Todd440)

Attached picture 6187784-GRATIOTCRUISE-2010025(Small).jpg
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: - - 09/10/10 07:13 AM

Don't take this wrong Randy but you don't have a 572 motor with aftermarket block and some of his higher dollar parts either. You can build a 440 or 500 cu motor a LOT cheaper then 20 grand so your motor and his are totally different in cost etc.
I am Not taking sides on this but trying to look at it both ways.
I wouldn't be Happy if my 20 grand motor went south so soon but
I also would have tried to let MM make it right first before I spent another 7 or so grand again.
I have gotten parts and a LOT of advice from MM and Appreciate all they have helped me with.
I agree that the motor should NOT have had that many issue coming from MM either if all is correct in this post.
Stuff Happens Sometimes, We are Not All Perfect.
David
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: - - 09/10/10 01:55 PM

One thing I dont understand is why dont you get a
build sheet with the engine on delivery... its like
they are going to fill in the blanks later.... the
person building the engine is/should be filling those
blanks in as he builds it... and I believe IF the
build sheet showed the numbers, that engine wouldnt
have made it to the dyno......... JMO
Plus I wouldnt be happy about not getting my parts back

Re: - - 09/10/10 03:00 PM

My impression of MM has been pretty positive over the years, although I haven't done a lot of business with them (a cam or two, a set of heads, some misc. parts), so I don't know if this applies or not. However... I'm aware of more than one business that experienced growth faster than it was capable of supporting. The end result was that quality control, ability to meet promised / scheduled dates, etc. all were impacted significantly and customer satisfaction took a major hit as a result.

I hope this is not what's happening w/ Mike's operation, but it wouldn't be the first time a business has gone through this.
Posted By: Old School

Re: - - 09/10/10 03:22 PM

Quote:

If they screwed it up that bad I sure wouldn't take it back to them!

The worse part is admitting they took 20K to build a motor and didn't check the clearances.

same here!
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: - - 09/10/10 04:18 PM

Quote:

One thing I dont understand is why dont you get a
build sheet with the engine on delivery... its like
they are going to fill in the blanks later.... the
person building the engine is/should be filling those
blanks in as he builds it... and I believe IF the
build sheet showed the numbers, that engine wouldnt
have made it to the dyno......... JMO
Plus I wouldnt be happy about not getting my parts back

and a complete inventory list of all customer parts being taken in should be done. and a complete list of parts/numbers and cost should be given to the customer at time of pick up / payoff.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: - - 09/10/10 04:20 PM

Quote:

Of course World/Mopar Performance never did anything about the useless block or the machining.

Uh...nobody from MM told MP about it

In fact, since the "World" style block's inception, nobody from Muscle Motors has ever called Mopar Performance about problems with that product. Ever.....so I don't understand that statement.

If the block was purchased from World instead of Chrysler, that's a whole other deal I won't get involved with....

Just saying

General comments:
Re: lack of a build sheet...I'm not sure it's all that abnormal to not get one....an aquaintance bought a 360 street engine from Koffels in the late '90s for something like 4 grand, bugged them for a build sheet for months afterwards and never got one. Another bought a Booth Aarons motor, and he had no idea what cam was in it because they would never tell him.

Like alot of others I prefer to do as much as I can myself (except machine work) and deal with the consequences....
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: - - 09/10/10 04:33 PM

Not trying to pile on here, but several years ago i posted an issue a real good friend of mine had with MM doing a " stage 2"port job on a set of eddie heads that resided on top of his 408 motor they built that was 12.5 to 1 compression that was a dog at the track( high 11's with pretty darn good combo).

I took the heads off for him and had them sent to a well known mopar builder on here. He looked them over and said basically nothing had been done to them..just shined the intake ports a tiny bit and removed no metal, to make it appear they had been massaged.He was far from happy with the valve job also.
This guy ported the heads to the level my buddy had expected MM to have done in the first place, and the car goes 11 flat on a 90 degree day up here in michigan..6 tenths difference!!!! from 113 mph to 120.This was first time out with it.

They finally did make some sort of restitution, i honestly dont remember what it was now,this was about 4/5 years ago...but the point is, he was charged for work that out and out wasnt done in the first place. So, i am not really surprised to read this post and others...its frankly a continuing saga with MM.
Its a real good reason why i have taken any motors i have had built over the years out of my immediate neighborhood( i am very near MM) and had the work done elsewhere, where i had nary a lick of trouble, either at Hensley or Best Machine.
Both of whom i would recommend to anybody.

Edit..in fairness i should mention my buddy was running a 750 on his combo that i had him replace with a 950 from summit( just a box stock proform unit i sat the float bowls and idle on for him prior to that outing, nothing more) i suspect that accounted for maybe 10-15% of his ET increase, but not a solid 6 tenths and 7 MPH. The combo was otherwise identical to what he ran previously. just the head work, new valve job and carb change.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: - - 09/10/10 04:52 PM

My motor from BEST came with its built sheet attached and all my unused parts came back as well.
The engine was flawless. Class act guys.

Everyone makes mistakes on both sides, we're all human, but to not get a call back as soon as the RED light goes on in the delivery room is uncalled for, literally.
Posted By: killersix

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/10/10 05:16 PM

Well I sat out the last bashing and even sent Mike a nice personal e-mail telling him so.Same basic thing just happened to a good friend who I met after his $18000.00 plus purchase of a turn key Max-wedge clone. Another simple case of quality issue on assembley of block where two mishaped core/ soft plugs were installed with less then 1/16th of lip on the edge. One blew out a Martin/ 131 at the big end dumping the water on the track. Luckily he didn't crash. Pulled the other bad one and Larry sent it to them to let them know what happened and nicely expressed his displeasure with it. Only asked for an acknowledgement not restituion. {75 cents?}. Three weeks no response. After Mike recieved the e-mail said he didn't know about it. Then said he talked to Eric and would be in contact with Larry about it and that was August 9th. Still nothing. Also holding back some questions on another persons build that he just got going with several minor issues so far. Seems same basic thing to much to fast.

Re: - - 09/10/10 06:16 PM

Dave..THANKS for be-littling my el-cheapo little 440!!! I understand where you're coming from on the differences of parts..and cost of parts! But..if a motor is put together PROFESSIONALLY...do a PROFESSIONAL job!!! That's all I'm sayin'! DIDN'T CHECK CLEARANCES???...LUDICROUS!!
Posted By: BobR

Re: - - 09/11/10 02:26 AM

I've heard a lot of MM crap over the years both in forums and in person. I wouldn't spend a penny there.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

There is something in the water in michigan - 09/11/10 04:11 AM

MM customer here, parts only, but I am done now.
There are no excuses for what happened.

There must be something in the water in Michigan as currently another moparts member has michigan built $30,000.00+ hemi with a cylinder head that has epoxied cracks that go into the water jacket. The cracks nor the epoxy were part of the specs for the build. They were not disclosed either...The engine guy says he will make good on it, but what that really means remains to be seen as his work is already questionable and word worthless. He can say what he wants because when my engine shop tears that heeemi [sic] down the truth will come forth. This wont be the first time some big dog's engine building did not measure up upon inspection

I just don't understand the lack of integrity and pride in ones work.

Re: - - 09/11/10 04:20 AM

The longer this goes on, the more I regret my original post about "manning up" especially since he hasn`t posted again explaing the many things wrong with the build AND the non-returned customers parts.

Re: - - 09/11/10 04:47 AM

Looks like some additional "manning up" might clarify the messy situation!!?? Hope everything gets resolved,for both their sakes! A BAD REPUTATION is VERY hard to correct!
Posted By: cudadon

Re: - - 09/11/10 05:53 AM

Quote:

Dave..THANKS for be-littling my el-cheapo little 440!!! I understand where you're coming from on the differences of parts..and cost of parts! But..if a motor is put together PROFESSIONALLY...do a PROFESSIONAL job!!! That's all I'm sayin'! DIDN'T CHECK CLEARANCES???...LUDICROUS!!

OK lets look at this in a different way.
MM builds a $20,000 engine, customer picks up says thankyou gives him a check and leaves.
A few days later the bank tells MM the checks clearances are TOO tight and won't cash
So he calls 30 times in 2 weeks and gets NO answer.
The customer accidently answers the phone and it's MM, he tells them he had no idea the check didn't clear , but don't worry he will make it right.

So would the customer be treated with KID GLOVES ON HERE or BY THE POLICE?? Don
Posted By: kilroy

Re: - - 09/11/10 08:22 PM

Quote:

The customer accidently answers the phone and it's MM, he tells them he had no idea the check didn't clear , but don't worry he will make it right.

So would the customer be treated with KID GLOVES ON HERE or BY THE POLICE?? Don

Hmmmmm.....
Posted By: dOoC

Re: - - 09/11/10 08:39 PM

The THING that stands-out to me is .....

90 ft pounds BREAKaway .... with NO plugs
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: - - 09/11/10 08:42 PM

The "everybody makes mistakes" comment does not hold water with this situation. An engine of that caliber, being built by a shop like MM, that goes out the door without the bearing clearances being checked is absolutely inexcuseable. That's engine building 101.

If I got my motor back like the OP described, MM wouldn't even get an opportunity to fix it. If they didn't do it right the first time and made such elementary mistakes, not to mention screwed me on my old parts, they'd never get another dime of my money. I'd be expecting money and my old parts back.

Re: - - 09/11/10 08:49 PM

Quote:

Everyone makes mistakes on both sides, we're all human, but to not get a call back as soon as the RED light goes on in the delivery room is uncalled for, literally.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.
You're a business and you crank out $20,000 work.
NONE should bad. NONE!
Statistically impossible but if you want to play in the big boys arena, that ONE bad engine IS going to end up on the internet. Rightfully or NOT rightly so.
You let out one bad $20k engine and you're gonna pay.
Sorry. No sympathy for the shop. That engine went out the door. Too late. If it's 1 out of a 1000, then the bad pr will survive, but the internet brings out everybody that had a bad time...
Just saying, MM IS going to lose more than they save by insisting the amount they paid was more than fair. Eat the $$, MM. It's gonna cost ya.
Or is the hit going to put you over the edge because your finances are super shaky?

FWIW, I build my own. I screw up? Nobody's going to come bail my sorry-azz butt out finacially. The stakes are higher so the QC you put in are worth it.
Forty years. Never met a shop that owed up to replacing 100% a $20k shop to an individual. Foose? They'd be overnighting him TWO replacement engine.
IT's all about publicty.

Re: - - 09/11/10 08:58 PM

Quote:

The THING that stands-out to me is .....

90 ft pounds BREAKaway .... with NO plugs

Ummmm... what is the spec, anyway????

Re: - - 09/11/10 09:03 PM

On a hi-$$ race-engine like this ? ... with low-drag rings ?? .....

30-40 ....
Posted By: HPMike

Re: - - 09/11/10 10:40 PM

Quote:

30-40 ....

Perhaps if the valvetrain wasn't installed. But put the valvetrain on and the breakaway will be significantly greater than that as the valvesprings compress then lesser as the valvesprings relax. Especially if the springs are heavy psi rated.

How was the rotational torque tested? Valvetrain or not?

MB
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: - - 09/11/10 10:49 PM

Quote:

30-40 ....

On my small block I got 18 pounds break away without
the springs... sure a BB will have a higher number
but a GUESS would be 25 - 30 due to area of the rings
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: - - 09/11/10 10:54 PM

Mistakes happen,the best resolution is a fast resolution,to drag the issue out only gives both sides a chance to get bitterly piss at each other and as it drags on and others get involved the situation only gets worse.If one of our racers or customers have a problem then we have a problem.We get involved and work through the problem together and usually can determine if we were at fault or they created the problem,either way we resolve the issue together and usually come to a amicable settlement to retain a positive relationship and move on.While I was recuperating in the hospital the guys at BGR stepped up keep the shop operating and help keep our commitments to our racers and customers.At that time we were having issues with bad lifters and hurt cams.As soon as I was able,Donny,Lou,Chaz,Curt Jr and I delt with everyones issues,correcting each on a personal level.We were able to get some warranty help and took all the problem engines down to bare blocks and started over correcting every issue including new rings,bearings,oil pumps,gasket and what ever else needed.There were a few engines that never left the shop and we didn't want to chance more problems and remove the cam and lifter and installed replacements.Every lifter that we replaced was disassembled and cleaned and checked before use.I was a tough time for all of us at BGR and costly.I can honestly say that everyone that had issues understood and I never handed a single one a bill for anything.The amasing thing was each person that had a problem came directly to me an insisted the that we accept some payment for our efforts and I know that some slipped the guys some cash on the way through the show.We humbled ourselves and servived the ordeal and have retained each and everyone as customers today.As always respect those who keep you in business and you will always have them knocking on your door.BGR's philosophy,"our customers become our friends,our friends become our family"
The best thing to do from here is for each party to step back,reflect,regain each respect and confidence and come to an amicable resolution or settleup and move on.Life is too short.

Re: - - 09/11/10 11:50 PM

Quote:

Mistakes happen,the best resolution is a fast resolution,to drag the issue out only gives both sides a chance to get bitterly piss at each other and as it drags on and others get involved the situation only gets worse.If one of our racers or customers have a problem then we have a problem.We get involved and work through the problem together and usually can determine if we were at fault or they created the problem,either way we resolve the issue together and usually come to a amicable settlement to retain a positive relationship and move on.While I was recuperating in the hospital the guys at BGR stepped up keep the shop operating and help keep our commitments to our racers and customers.At that time we were having issues with bad lifters and hurt cams.As soon as I was able,Donny,Lou,Chaz,Curt Jr and I delt with everyones issues,correcting each on a personal level.We were able to get some warranty help and took all the problem engines down to bare blocks and started over correcting every issue including new rings,bearings,oil pumps,gasket and what ever else needed.There were a few engines that never left the shop and we didn't want to chance more problems and remove the cam and lifter and installed replacements.Every lifter that we replaced was disassembled and cleaned and checked before use.I was a tough time for all of us at BGR and costly.I can honestly say that everyone that had issues understood and I never handed a single one a bill for anything.The amasing thing was each person that had a problem came directly to me an insisted the that we accept some payment for our efforts and I know that some slipped the guys some cash on the way through the show.We humbled ourselves and servived the ordeal and have retained each and everyone as customers today.As always respect those who keep you in business and you will always have them knocking on your door.BGR's philosophy,"our customers become our friends,our friends become our family"
The best thing to do from here is for each party to step back,reflect,regain each respect and confidence and come to an amicable resolution or settleup and move on.Life is too short.

Bob can you pass this letter along to indy?

Re: - - 09/12/10 12:01 AM

Well said Bob.......... Very well said!!!

Re: - - 09/12/10 12:05 AM

Quote:

Well said Bob.......... Very well said!!!

Thanks Matt,but your gonna be pissed at what Max did to your Arrow. He pooped in your seat and I'am not going to clean it up,you have to deal direct with him. He will show you what "customer service"really is.

Tony,I'am not, nor will I tell anyone how to run their business,I was just giving an example of a situation we found ourselves in, how we approached it and the outcome.And offererd a suggestion on how to treat a problem as well as steps to settle a dispute to an amicable resolution or just move on.It's just the same as recently a couple of members that I know here were having issues and I suggested that they resolve it quietly and quickly before it come to "the Judge Judys" on the internet.They both know what is needed to settle it,just one wants to drag it out.If he took my advice it will be over soon,if not I'am sure it will be on YB,B-Bodys and YB for public opinion which will only hurt the guy who is dragging his feet.This serves no purpose of any redeeming qualities.

Re: - - 09/12/10 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

that was actually funny tony
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: - - 09/12/10 12:17 AM

One disgruntled customer will cost you ten good customers - but that seems like times past. I was taught a mans word and his work are his honor - maybe that's why we have all the problems we have today - there are few honorable men left.

Re: - - 09/12/10 12:33 AM

Attached picture 6190784-pink_panther_on_tip_toes_surprised_postcard-p239430383519358708trdg_400.jpg

Re: - - 09/12/10 12:52 AM

Quote:

One disgruntled customer will cost you ten good customers - but that seems like times past. I was taught a mans word and his work are his honor - maybe that's why we have all the problems we have today - there are few honorable men left.

I would rather take a loss and correct the problem to the customers satisfaction,maintain the relationship,keep the customer and hope he respected me enough to to tell others of his positive experience.We have also seen people you can't please,we either won't do work for them or if we have a bad experience and can't satisfy them we just apologize and refund their money and move on.Our theory is "never get in a pissing match with a skunk,you can't win"It takes talking and listening on both partys to settle an issue.Remember,"conversation between people is an exchange of knowledge,argument is an exchange of ignorance.I think the issues were presented well,but the responce didn't address all the issues.I understand that it's ackward to respond with many people ready to comment,but it should have be settled before someone is left no recourse but to post it here.I hope they can reach a settlement,but doubt if it will be amicable at this juncture.Good luck to those involved.Respectfully Bob.
Posted By: torkrules

Re: - - 09/12/10 02:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would rather take a loss and correct the problem to the customers satisfaction,maintain the relationship,keep the customer and hope he respected me enough to to tell others of his positive experience.We have also seen people you can't please,we either won't do work for them or if we have a bad experience and can't satisfy them we just apologize and refund their money and move on.Our theory is "never get in a pissing match with a skunk,you can't win"It takes talking and listening on both partys to settle an issue.Remember,"conversation between people is an exchange of knowledge,argument is an exchange of ignorance.I think the issues were presented well,but the responce didn't address all the issues.I understand that it's ackward to respond with many people ready to comment,but it should have be settled before someone is left no recourse but to post it here.I hope they can reach a settlement,but doubt if it will be amicable at this juncture.Good luck to those involved.Respectfully Bob.

I say "Bob G for President" (and I'm not even an American!)

Re: - - 09/12/10 03:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

that was actually funny tony

thats all it was meant to be Wedgie

Re: - - 09/12/10 03:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

thats the way a good business operates, but not all are like that....
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: - - 09/12/10 06:32 AM

Hmm ? I wonder if my 588 BG is still in warentee

Re: - - 09/12/10 11:30 AM

Quote:

Hmm ? I wonder if my 588 BG is still in warentee

Didn't you read the disclaimer:Warranty void if handled by wierdo,physco,perverted,demented and animal molesting types of people.So if you fall under any of these catagories,the answer is NO.

Re: - - 09/12/10 12:13 PM

Quote:

I get that 9 Im changing my name again... I b getting some double adjustables out back soon
Posted By: BB Dart 69

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/12/10 03:45 PM

Quote:

We screwed up! No tap dance, no weak excuses.

The delay initally was block avaiblity, out of my control. The FIRST block we asssembled, and attemped to dyno has casting problems and would not circulate water. In the appearent rush (since we were dreadful late in delivery) the clearances in the second block machined, were assumed, screwed up, I don't know? Of course World/Mopar Performance never did anything about the useless block or the machining. We ate that, that's just life.

I don't know exactly what went wrong. Scott who does assembly is VERY thurogh and it is not like him but obviously we messed up.

There is no magic in Indy SR heads, no matter who, no matter how they will flow 350 CFM + or - depeding on who's bench. Marks heads had two really good ports but the shortside radius' were not all the same. Before I had Jeff @ modern run his program thru the heads six shortside radius' were as much as a .120 taller than the "good ports" . Short story long, the ports WERE NOT consistant. The equalized ports and bigger valves will help a bigger engine, this is why this work was preformed.

Initally we had sent the carbs out and had them done and appearnly what they did was incorrect. The engine did not run well with the 6 pak carbs we are responsible for so we tried a 1x4 and it ran makedly better. I told Mark Bastemeryer (the customer I dealt with)that I had the carbs modified, what we had done appearnlty didn't work so have your carb guy go thru them and send me a bill. He had his guy redo the carbs and I paid him the $700ish he asked for. He was then going to have the engine redynoed locally. I figured I would owe him for some dyno time and life would go forward.

Next thing I know i get a bill for $5000. A lot of you out there I know are in business. Let me ask you a question: if you do something, and something goes wrong, you are responsible correect? But isn't the customers responsiblitly to bring it back to you to fix it? Example: You don't buy a product from Home Depot, have problems, take it to Lowes to get it fixed and send home Depot the bill?? You take (or at least inform the original provider) there is a problem and let them decide what to do about it, correct?

I sent $3000 dollars in a effort to make it right but when you do not tell me you have major problems and then go somewhere else I dont feel it is my obligation to pay someone else to do what we were responsible for. If it was as messed up as Mark says then I would have had a shpping company pick it up correct it and then sent it back no charge.

Should it have been right to begin with, Yes! Did we screw up, it apears we did. But I will also say the sign of a good shop is one who takes care of a problem when there is one. I can't fix it if I dont know about it. And then send me a bill is not letting me know about it.

Mike @MM

thats more than than my buddies got from Best

Re: - - 09/12/10 08:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I get that 9 Im changing my name again... I b getting some double adjustables out back soon

I wish you guys would quit changing your s/n it's hard enough to keep up with you anyway I am not sure you are who I think you are anyway

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/12/10 09:06 PM

"that's more than my buddy's got from Best"??? Another can of worms to open???
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/12/10 11:25 PM

I have an unfired 416/340 engine with MM parts in it-crank, rods, pistons. Even though it was built by one of the best I now have concerns about it because the response to this particular problem from MM Mike is well...poor...and leads me to question whether work I was charged [balancing] for was actually performed.

I would like to inform the epoxied hemi head engine builder who is lurking here that he needs to read and understand the excellent post by Bob George .

I have had a bunch of pm's about the epoxied head
The clock is ticking Mr. cracked/epoxied hemi head engine builder from michigan
Here is the proof:

In the lower right of the pic-that's coolant pushed thru the crack...nice work there...covered it with engine paint and called it glyptol-which is red.

Tick tock Dave. Here is your last chance before I let the cat out of the bag.

Attached picture 6192405-HemiHeadCrackedepoxy.jpg

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/13/10 01:02 AM

Quote:

I have an unfired 416/340 engine with MM parts in it-crank, rods, pistons. Even though it was built by one of the best I now have concerns about it because the response to this particular problem from MM Mike is well...poor...and leads me to question whether work I was charged [balancing] for was actually performed.

I would like to inform the epoxied hemi head engine builder who is lurking here that he needs to read and understand the excellent post by Bob George .

I have had a bunch of pm's about the epoxied head
The clock is ticking Mr. cracked/epoxied hemi head engine builder from michigan
Here is the proof:

If that is the pushrod slot,we have successfully welded areas like that on both iron and aluminium heads and blocks.Epoxy is ok for none pressurized repairs,but if that is into the water jacket then it should be welded.

Also thanks for your comment.I'am not critizing anyone and hope everyone realizes we are just sharing our philosophy of how we deal with issues and hope others can apply them for similar results.As mentioned you can do a 100 great jobs and 1 bad one,100 people will know about the great work,but 1000s will here about that 1 bad one,especially with the internet.Another way to look at it is if you do 100 great jobs you should be able to take the hit and correct the bad one.Once you get a bad reputation those good jobs will be few and far between.Again I mean no disrespect to anyone,just offering suggestions on how to resolve issues.We need everyone in the Mopar world to work together to insure our sport will survive,and it will if we be considerate towards each other and "play it forward"

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/13/10 04:40 AM

Very well said, Mr. George! If these other "so-called" Professionals had that same philosophy,the world would be a much better place to live in! 3 cheers for BG!!! As for Mr. Epoxy..it'll bite em' in the butt one day..probably REAL SOON!

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/13/10 07:00 AM

BG shows there are some of us who still value their reputation more than the dollar.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/13/10 01:28 PM

Quote:

BG shows there are some of us who still value their reputation more than the dollar.

Exactly Fred,when we leave this world the only thing we leave behind is the record of our character and reputation.We follow the legesy of my son Curt's character.He had set the bar so high that if we can only try to be 1/2 the person he was we will succeed.We can only hope that we will be remembered with similar respect and reverence as Curt is even to this day.It will be 6 years next month since we lost Curt,October 13 2004.Curt's favorite words"racers helping racers".Many of you who knew Curt,understand what I'am trying to instill in others.

Another thing to remember is most people don't praise good work that they pay good dollars for,they expect it.Good dollars for bad work is unacceptable and will always bite someone in the azz.Good work for good dollars no problem,good dollars for poor work,big problem.We have years of backlog in our judicial system because someone feels they were screwed.Then we have the radicals that get their revenge in other ways,(none good)

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/13/10 01:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly Fred,when we leave this world the only thing we leave behind is the record of our character and reputation.We follow the legesy of my son Curt's character.He had set the bar so high that if we can only try to be 1/2 the person he was we will succeed.We can only hope that we will be remembered with similar respect and reverence as Curt is even to this day.It will be 6 years next month since we lost Curt,October 13 2004.Curt's favorite words"racers helping racers".Many of you who knew Curt,understand what I'am trying to instill in others.

I have exactly the same philosophy about life but driven by different reasons.
It's the only way to play the game and leave a winner.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/13/10 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have exactly the same philosophy about life but driven by different reasons.
It's the only way to play the game and leave a winner.

Yeah,but if we all play well together,we are all winners and we all leave winners.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/13/10 07:12 PM

Quote:

"that's more than my buddy's got from Best"??? Another can of worms to open???

No, what im saying every body makes mistakes.If you want me to open the can i will

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/13/10 10:15 PM

Won't be the 1st time with them either! Trust me!
Posted By: unknown

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/13/10 10:29 PM

Hmm, I would be very interested to know what was wrong with the first block that it would not circulate water??? World was not interested??? Then made MM buy another block, not exchange it.If thats the way it went down, shame on World. But on the other hand, I dont understand how MM would assembly that motor with out checking all clearances on the 2nd block, man thats disturbing. You would think they would have been telling the customer whats going on with all the delays. Hearing crap like this makes me really appreciate the engine shop that builds my engines.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/13/10 11:15 PM

Quote:

Hearing crap like this makes me really appreciate the engine shop that builds my engines.

Makes me ...appreciate me-self ... with me building my own "junk".

I know THIS .. that when I lay-the-crank in-there ...and torque the mains ... that if I can not spin said crank with my pinky-finger ... that there are probs !

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/14/10 03:52 AM

Hey Mark..You can open that "can of worms" now! This post is starting to lose steam!

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/14/10 02:26 PM

Quote:

Hey Mark..You can open that "can of worms" now! This post is starting to lose steam!

Looks like i dont need to [Poor Dave]

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/15/10 09:43 PM

So- I haven't been back here in nearly a week. Initially, I was just giving myself a little cool down time after reading MuscleMike's 'response.' Then work, life and Monster Mopar Weekend came in, but I finally found time to get back to this thread.

Without further ado, on with the show...

Quote:

If it was as messed up as Mark says then I would have had a shpping company pick it up correct it and then sent it back no charge.

Quote:

I can't fix it if I don’t know about it.

Quote:

Next thing I know I get a bill for $5000. A lot of you out there I know are in business. Let me ask you a question: if you do something, and something goes wrong, you are responsible correct? But isn't the customers responsibility to bring it back to you to fix it?

Fact is, I gave MM the opportunity to do exactly that. I called MM the day after the disappointing dyno session here, and I was told by Eric to 'get the engine re-built to expectations, and send (him) a bill for any out-of-pocket expenses.' It was at this point that I had my guy go to work on it. I was a little pressed for time since my projected October completion by MM was delayed 4 extra months and we were attending Mopar’s at The Strip (which we did attend with the repaired/re-dyno’ed version of the Road Runner)

The total for the repair work was $4,849.50, and it included labor, machining, and parts to repair the motor. I faxed a letter explaining in detail everything above, as well as an itemized list of expenses.

After two weeks (and many phone calls) passed, I got a call from Eric. He told me he was putting a check in the mail for $3000 as 'good faith' money, claiming he and Mike would get together to work out the remaining balance of $1849.50.

I did receive the $3k check, but no other check ever appeared. Repeated phone calls to Muscle Motors always resulted in a myriad of excuses from Eric about Mike's unavailability. He was always gone, busy, on the phone, counting his money, etc.

I eventually tried to give Eric an out by suggesting that he utilize his status as an Indy dealer to apply the balance of $1849.50 as partial payment on a new pair of 440-1 heads from Indy. To restate that last sentence, I TRIED TO GET THEM TO TAKE MORE OF MY MONEY IN EXCHANGE FOR THEIR POOR WORKMANSHIP. But again, several more calls resulted in the same song and dance. Eric continued to tell me that he and Mike could not find time to talk about my situation. Was Mike out of the country at this time? Perhaps in a coma? Possibly kidnapped? The truth may never be known.

Eric continued to give me insufficient and unsatisfactory answers until he finally got fed up, told me I wouldn't receive anything else, and stopped taking my calls. The last call I made was fielded by the Muscle Motors answering machine. I stated my case a final time, and hung up.

Quote:

I sent $3000 dollars in a effort to make it right but when you do not tell me you have major problems and then go somewhere else I don’t feel it is my obligation to pay someone else to do what we were responsible for.

I find it almost impossible to believe that after a total of over 50 phone calls, Eric had not/would not discuss any of the above with Mike. I, in good faith, notified Muscle Motors of the problems with my engine. Also in good faith, following Eric's directions, I rectified the situation locally and asked for recompense from MM. Despite numerous attempts, varied avenues, and a multitude of negotiations, pleadings and calls, I was kept wanting. The internet is evidently the only avenue I have left to find a reply of any type.

It's disappointing that I need to resort to airing a business matter such as this for the entire world to see, just to get a response. I guess that's just the world we live in today, though.

Thanks to all the guys on here voicing their opinion of the unfairness of the situation. It gives me hope that there are still some people in this business I haven’t met that aren’t out to rob me blind.

Re: - - 09/15/10 09:47 PM

Quote:

How was the rotational torque tested? Valvetrain or not?

The 90 ft/lb breakaway torque was tested with full valvetrain, no plugs. The current version of the 572 measures just under 50 ft/lbs with full valvetrain, 26 ft/lbs for shortblock w/ cam.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/15/10 11:46 PM

Quote:

So- I haven't been back here in nearly a week. Initially, I was just giving myself a little cool down time after reading MuscleMike's 'response.' Then work, life and Monster Mopar Weekend came in, but I finally found time to get back to this thread.

Without further ado, on with the show...

Quote:

If it was as messed up as Mark says then I would have had a shpping company pick it up correct it and then sent it back no charge.

Quote:

I can't fix it if I don’t know about it.

Quote:

Next thing I know I get a bill for $5000. A lot of you out there I know are in business. Let me ask you a question: if you do something, and something goes wrong, you are responsible correct? But isn't the customers responsibility to bring it back to you to fix it?

Fact is, I gave MM the opportunity to do exactly that. I called MM the day after the disappointing dyno session here, and I was told by Eric to 'get the engine re-built to expectations, and send (him) a bill for any out-of-pocket expenses.' It was at this point that I had my guy go to work on it. I was a little pressed for time since my projected October completion by MM was delayed 4 extra months and we were attending Mopar’s at The Strip (which we did attend with the repaired/re-dyno’ed version of the Road Runner)

The total for the repair work was $4,849.50, and it included labor, machining, and parts to repair the motor. I faxed a letter explaining in detail everything above, as well as an itemized list of expenses.

After two weeks (and many phone calls) passed, I got a call from Eric. He told me he was putting a check in the mail for $3000 as 'good faith' money, claiming he and Mike would get together to work out the remaining balance of $1849.50.

I did receive the $3k check, but no other check ever appeared. Repeated phone calls to Muscle Motors always resulted in a myriad of excuses from Eric about Mike's unavailability. He was always gone, busy, on the phone, counting his money, etc.

I eventually tried to give Eric an out by suggesting that he utilize his status as an Indy dealer to apply the balance of $1849.50 as partial payment on a new pair of 440-1 heads from Indy. To restate that last sentence, I TRIED TO GET THEM TO TAKE MORE OF MY MONEY IN EXCHANGE FOR THEIR POOR WORKMANSHIP. But again, several more calls resulted in the same song and dance. Eric continued to tell me that he and Mike could not find time to talk about my situation. Was Mike out of the country at this time? Perhaps in a coma? Possibly kidnapped? The truth may never be known.

Eric continued to give me insufficient and unsatisfactory answers until he finally got fed up, told me I wouldn't receive anything else, and stopped taking my calls. The last call I made was fielded by the Muscle Motors answering machine. I stated my case a final time, and hung up.

Quote:

I sent $3000 dollars in a effort to make it right but when you do not tell me you have major problems and then go somewhere else I don’t feel it is my obligation to pay someone else to do what we were responsible for.

I find it almost impossible to believe that after a total of over 50 phone calls, Eric had not/would not discuss any of the above with Mike. I, in good faith, notified Muscle Motors of the problems with my engine. Also in good faith, following Eric's directions, I rectified the situation locally and asked for recompense from MM. Despite numerous attempts, varied avenues, and a multitude of negotiations, pleadings and calls, I was kept wanting. The internet is evidently the only avenue I have left to find a reply of any type.

It's disappointing that I need to resort to airing a business matter such as this for the entire world to see, just to get a response. I guess that's just the world we live in today, though.

Thanks to all the guys on here voicing their opinion of the unfairness of the situation. It gives me hope that there are still some people in this business I haven’t met that aren’t out to rob me blind.

wow sorry to hear that. really sad maybe small claims is your answer if they don't pay.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 12:22 AM

What`s really sad is that no one came back on here to make it right. Kinda like the local(or nationwide for that matter)auto shops that totally rip people off with the "one time customer" attitude thinking they`ll never see em again and rape em for all that they can. This could really damage Muscle Motors in my opinion and I`m not even sure there`s a solution at this point unless the original poster thinks so.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 12:54 AM

Thumper that is there "MM" Prerogative or there decision.

They are choosing to do people wrong, and not do anything about it.

Typing a couple words on here does not fix the problem.

Someone still got screwed and it sounds like more could get the same treatment.

I am a buisness man, and the customer is always right.

Even though sometimes i totally disagree, the customer is always right!

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 02:05 AM

I guess the question is, how much is your reputation worth?

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 02:07 AM

I can not speak for anyone else,

But my reputation is worth more than my life.

If people dont respect me and like me, then i dont have a reason to live.

I try hard to treat people the way i want to be treated.
Posted By: mopowers

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 02:11 AM

I was considering having them build me a stroker shortblock when the time came. I even got one of their catalogs for that purpose... NOT ANYMORE!!!

I'm soooo glad I found this thread! Thanks Mark!
Posted By: wesw

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 02:35 AM

just thought i would let you know. Muscle Motors was a no show at monster mopar.i called them looking for a cam so we could make monster mopar. i'm still waiting for them to call me back. that's ok. chuck and pete at best machine took care of me and we made it to the race.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 04:53 AM

This doesn't bode well for MM!!! They will lose a LOT of future business..just because of this ONE THREAD! It's a REAL shame!
Posted By: Welderman

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 09:25 AM

Good thing I checked out this thread. I was considering Muscle Motors for wifeys next street smallblock motor. We wont even consider them now. Whatever it takes to make it right with the customer is very good business ethics.
Posted By: Moparmal

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 11:03 AM

Just as an independant reader - I am impressed with the OPs ability to leave the "bucks out of the discussion", except for detailing the facts as they panned out.

This could have been a real whine about money, but he's kept it to the point. For that reason alone, I reckon he has shown real class.
Posted By: Old School

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 12:45 PM

MM......

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" *DELETED* - 09/16/10 02:22 PM

Post deleted by Blew My Budget!
Posted By: MuscleMike

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 03:41 PM

I will be attempting to contact Mark Bastemeyer to see if some sort middle ground can be reached in this situation. I have stated in the past I generally out of these forums and let people express themselves as they see fit but here is my side of the situation:

I stated that we were at fault! What I/we DID NOT do is authorize someone else to do $5000 worth or work on the engine in question.
I do have a question though? Who is James Michaels? I dealt with Mark Bastemeyer. There seems to be a few inaccuracies in the story like: “Sounds good, right? So I took my whole combination up to Michigan, and headed home.” No, I met Mark at St Louis and pick up his disassembled engine from him in September 09.
Or the statement; ”Last fall I killed a piston in my 528. I wasn't that upset about it because I wanted to move up to a 572 anyway. I talked with my regular engine builder, and he didn't think he could fit my project into his winter schedule. In lieu, he recommended Muscle Motors due to the positive feedback he'd heard on here. He gave me their catalog, and I read through it, impressed.” I am assuming he is referring to our catalog where the he also got the title of this thread? I find that statement odd because in the fall of 09 WE DIDN’T HAVE A CATALOG. I finished just in time for the Indy trade show 2010.

Also, the piston didn’t fail, the Mega block that he was using had a cylinder wall collapse and destroyed the piston, block, bent valves etc, real ugly. AND the delay was based on World’s inability to deliver blocks when promised. At the time the World block was the only block in an acceptable price range. If Mark had “only” hurt a piston, we would have used his block. But since the cylinder wall collapsed and broke the cylinder, the skirt of the block and as I recall the main webbing, it was unusable. I would think one would not forget this little fact?
Why do I bring these points up? Because it appears to me that it may not be Mark who is writing these post and perhaps the author is adding his inflection or opinion into to mix???
Did we screw up? Yes, I stated we were at fault before. What I do not agree with or accept is the solution to the issues. I thought Mark understood the protocol based on the carb situation: We had mods made, they didn’t work. The engine ran like crap with the carb work we had done so we finished with a single 4 to verify the engine ran ok. I call Mark and told him this. He shared with me that he had went to several “carb guys” until he found one who could really make the 6 pak set up work. I admitted our mods did not work and asked that (in the name of time) that Mark take the engine and send the carbs back to his guy and ask him to look at them. Then get a price of what it would take to get them back to his spec’s and let me know. Mark did this and contacted me with a price around $700. The outer carbs could be switched back but the center carb needed to be replaced. I said “OK, have your guy do the work”.
When they ran the engine again with the cross ram and the “corrected” carbs, performance was unsatisfactory. Mark, in the interest of expediting the program was told “ have your guy look at it and tell us what he thinks it needs” JUST LIKE BEFORE WITH THE CARBS. Maybe the cam was out of phase, I didn’t know and could not check it over the phone. His engine guy was willing to “look at it” so I authorized him to LOOK AT IT. The next thing I know I get a bill for $4800+. If things were as screwed up as they said I would have paid the engine guy for his time and to crate everything up and send it back!

Why did I send Mark $3000? Because I would obviously have cost in paying his guy for disassembly and crating, shipping both ways, shop hours to clean, bearings gaskets, remachine, dyno and ship back his engine. I would not have $3000 in it but I was trying to make the best of a obviously bad situation.

There have been comments about “not feeling comfortable sending it back”. The reason why Mark came here was not a catalog (because it didn’t exist at the time) or one persons opinion. The Mark I dealt with had talked to many people and heard good things. The reason is our reputation IS important to us and WE DO make every effort to solve problems if and when they occur. Things are easy when everything goes well, what separates a good shop is one that deals with the problems when things go wrong. We haven’t been in business for 21 years by sending out screwed up engines and “ripping people off”.

I will give an example of this. Lets say you buy a new truck, 4 door, Cummins, the works and let say it kicks a rod. This is not normal, this is not what you paid for, you are pissed and unhappy. You are furious that your new truck is not right but you do not take it to you local mechanic to fix it and send Chrysler the bill. You bought the truck because they have a good rep and the do what they say. I do not view our relationship with our customers any different. We are always asked “do you have a warrantee?” I have always said “it is hard to warrantee a race engine because of its intended use but if something goes wrong and we are at fault, we always make every attempt to “make it right”. Incurring unapproved/unauthorized cost without approval and then sending me the bill is not an acceptable solution to a problem

I will not comment on this further and like I said will attempt to reach some middle ground with Mark Bastemeyer directly.

Mike @ MM

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 04:03 PM

Quote:

Whatever it takes to make it right with the customer is very good business ethics.

WHATever ? ..... there are limits. And I will relay one experience I had with a guy from Westland MI.

This guy bought a WHOLE 1973 Dart fiberglass package from me ....EVERYTHING ... except for the quarters and roof.

GOOD customer ....and I treated him reaaaally right on the price. He picks these parts up in the spring ....puts them in the garage .... and UP in the rafters .... and this garage does NOT have AC. You see where I am going with this ?

Well ... late summer or early fall he pulls these parts down from the rafters .... and the way he stored the fenders(3-4 lbs each) up-there - they warped.

Well ..he blames ME for this. Nice. I say that I will fix them FREE ....but they are going to weigh MORE them. And he says NO.....he wants NEW lightweight parts.

Well ....we go to court(first and only time I was there biz-related) ...and I think it was in-front of Judge Mathis ..... and I won.

I still would have accomodated him ... but he wanted what he wanted.

So should all biz people be door-mats? ....I don't think so.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" - 09/16/10 05:32 PM

Quote:

I do have a question though? Who is James Michaels? I dealt with Mark Bastemeyer.

Attached picture 6199573-1BadMeepMeepProfile.png
© 2024 Moparts Forums