Moparts

One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT

Posted By: feets

One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/05/10 09:06 PM

I guess that explains the reduction in power I had.
When I pulled the turbos off today the driver's side was a little wiggly. It's not bad but a bit looser than I like. It's still serviceable.
The other would turn but not with a thumb and one finger. It's pretty tight and will not freewheel at all.
I'm sure it was turning when the engine starting revving but it wasn't doing anything before that.

The driver's side manifold was pretty beat up with cracks. The passenger side should be better.
It really doesn't matter since they won't be going back on the car.
It feels so wrong to tear an engine down with the intentions of taking power away. I'm really having to force myself to do it, against my religion or not.

Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/05/10 10:33 PM

I can only imagine the pain you're going through having to de-power an engine. It doesn't feel natural. I imagine the tight turbo would produce a lack of power but as that other turbo kept getting looser could have easily deconstructed and made an ugly mess. Good thing you caught it.

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/05/10 10:55 PM

The tight turbo was on the passenger side. It's the one that smoked like a Cheech and Chong movie. It only did it when it was cold. I figured out the return line had moved. After it was adjusted it the smoking problem went away.

I wonder if that's part of it.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 04:41 AM

Are you saying that you intend to permanently remove turbos from your car? Say it aint so!
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 05:11 AM

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 05:14 AM

The hot rod is going away. I never had any interest the body style. Call me weird.

I will pull all the go fast, stop fast, and turning goodies off the car. If the planets are in alignment, I will find my "dream car" and drop all the good stuff on it.

What kind of car might that be? I'm thinking.....

I want white with a black top and black interior. Tint the windows. Lower the car an inch or two. Install nice quiet exhaust just barely tipping below the rear valence. Go moderate on the boost. Something around 600 hp. Make the Autotemp A/C work. Drop a 3.73 gear out back and slide my 518 OD behind the engine.
Cruise with six of my closest friends at 65 mph turning 2200 rpm and have plenty of power to dust off the Camaros and Mustangs that dare cross me on a roll.
Who would expect that from a 69 Imperial coupe?

Whaddya think?
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 12:42 PM

Quote:

Whaddya think?

I think I know a guy that'd love to sell you an original 6 pack C-body for a great deal .

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 02:52 PM

A 6 pack C-body is nifty but it just isn't an Imperial.

If you're gonna go absurd, I say go all the way!
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 03:02 PM

Quote:

A 6 pack C-body is nifty but it just isn't an Imperial.

If you're gonna go absurd, I say go all the way!

a boosted cam would be smoother also.awsome project!

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 04:48 PM

I have a custom ground turbo cam but it's going with the engine in the hot rod.
I have the sneaky suspicion that better minds than mine have been working on streetable cam profiles in the last 10 years.

I'm holding off on my rear gear decision until I discuss things with the cam guys. I want the car to cruise with as low rpm as possible on the freeway. Since it'll be a low compression engine I need to see what cruise rpm is realistic.
A 3.91 would give me a 2.65 after overdrive and the 3.73 would end up at 2.54 with OD. Toss in a 28" tire and the rpm drops.
I want the deeper gears for in-town driving and the OD for road trips. I already have the 518 tranny and Ultrabell.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 05:21 PM

seams like you have one real good plan! alitle of from what is considered "normal" but i like it!
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 05:22 PM

What happened with that blue one ?

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 05:49 PM

I'm really digging the blue one. It's haunting me. I really want a 69 coupe. The blue car is the wrong year with too many doors. However, it's extremely tempting and calling my name.

Dare I take a chance on messing it up?
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 07:03 PM

Wish I had the coin to take whats left of the Hotrod off your hands. Goodluck on your search for a new cruiser. Im tearin apart a truck I had plans for aswell but My reasoning is to thin the heard some
Posted By: fbernard

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 07:17 PM

Quote:

Whaddya think?

I think the C-body is the absolute best platform for turbos. There is indeed far too much room under the hood for anything reasonable, you have to go overboard with these.

The required brake equipment will definitely kill the sleeper look, you're going to need really big rotors and wheels to slow that thing down (not to mention the fact that C-body spindles and brakes may be specific). No black steelies and whitewalls will do, and 17" or more with serious rubber will stand out on such a car.

I only have E-bodies, and I've been looking (with envy) at B- and C-bodies for this kind of project for years. No way I could park an oil tanker like this anywhere near home though.

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 09:22 PM

Quote:

The required brake equipment will definitely kill the sleeper look, you're going to need really big rotors and wheels to slow that thing down (not to mention the fact that C-body spindles and brakes may be specific). No black steelies and whitewalls will do, and 17" or more with serious rubber will stand out on such a car.

I've got that covered.
Here's the current front brake setup:

And the rear:

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 09:31 PM

Quote:

That brake rotor looks familiar

Attached picture 6180986-011(55).JPG

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 09:33 PM

Quote:

I'm really digging the blue one. It's haunting me. I really want a 69 coupe. The blue car is the wrong year with too many doors. However, it's extremely tempting and calling my name.

Dare I take a chance on messing it up?

How would be adding a couple turbos, lots more brake, etc be messing it up

Messing it up would be putting a slant into it

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 10:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That brake rotor looks familiar

gee... that does look vaguely familiar.

Maybe you'll get to try 'em out some day. Mine have been worked great for years now.

I think you need more caliper.

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/06/10 11:35 PM

Send me your calipers....you won't be needing them for a while now

My mufflers will be here tomorrow..once I get them mounted, it will be road test time.

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/07/10 02:24 AM

I drug home a spare front caliper last week. It had some cosmetic damage so the insurance company replaced it. Instead of tossing it in the trash, I tossed it in the car.
Posted By: wrenchinrandy

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/07/10 02:45 AM

Hey Feets,
I think your project sounds awesome. I look forward to seeing it. For what it is worth, when I was in Montana this summer, one of my old haunts had a 1967 Chrysler New Yorker two door for sale. It was a rust free 440/auto car, white with a white/black interior. I know it isn't quite an Imperial but they only wanted $1500 for it. If you are interested I would be happy to send a few pics I took and give you their number.

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/07/10 03:20 AM

I appreciate the heads up but that's the wrong car and wrong chassis.
I'm being a little picky this time.

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/07/10 04:15 AM

Quote:

I drug home a spare front caliper last week. It had some cosmetic damage so the insurance company replaced it. Instead of tossing it in the trash, I tossed it in the car.

Need my address to mail it too ?

I can send you a screwdriver to "accidently" scratch another one there..
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/07/10 01:54 PM

Hey Feets, Im sure your new project will be just as nice and creative!

How did you convert to AMG front brakes? The front brakes on the 94 were converted "older" style Mopar disc and they drag alot. I want to convert to Willwood or something like you have, if it is inexpensive and will solve the dragging brake issue.

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/07/10 03:40 PM

Quote:

if it is inexpensive and will solve the dragging brake issue.

Inexpensive?

AMG = Add More Green
AMG = All the Money you Got

For me to do another 4 wheel AMG conversion it would cost me $2800 at my employee cost (cost +10%).
Retail, the front calipers are $900 each.

Once you get the hardware, you've got to get some bar stock, a mill, and a lathe. Spend a few days messing around with that stuff and you'll end up with something usable.

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/07/10 04:15 PM

Sounds too complicated...only took me a few minutes to make brackets and mount my Brembos on the MBZ rotors on the Holden.

(Few minutes....give or take that is )

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/07/10 06:27 PM

I also recall the guidance you received from others. Oh yeah, there's that whole part where I ran around taking measurements and such for you.

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/07/10 06:57 PM

Well...picking out the rotor might have been ever so slighty due to your help

The caliper brackets where all my doing, since I couldn't afford the whiz-bang AMG ones (and copy your bracket)

Attached picture 6182773-018(34).JPG
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: One turbo slightly loose and the other is TIGHT - 09/08/10 03:34 AM

I realize they aren't nearly a trick as Feets Benz brakes but I recently picked up a set of these..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-07-MUS...30#ht_526wt_941

Pretty cheap for much improved braking on a Mopar... Or Ford...
© 2024 Moparts Forums