Moparts

Valve Spring compressor

Posted By: GregCon

Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 07:04 PM

Summit, and other places, sells a spring compressor that appears to be copied and sold under various names.

Here is a pic. My question is ... has anyone used one of these? Do they work very well? This would be for Hemi springs.

By 'work well' I mean do they have enough guts to compress the spring and not feel like they are going to flex apart.

Attached picture 6169157-pro-66832_cp.jpg
Posted By: rebel

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 07:49 PM

i personally haven't used one of those units but it looks like it's backbone is ridgid enough. i was using a CAT spring compressor for trucks but roller springs were too much for it. i now use a homemade compressor which makes working on springs a 2 man job, but at least we don't have parts shooting all over my garage floor.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 08:17 PM

I got this one from mancini's a few years back. Does my roller springs 275 on the seat and 650 open.
And they are getting old used to be over 300 and 700 still did them.
I did put a aluminum sleeve in the cup end as it is too big so it stays centered better!
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/heavdutvalsp.html
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 08:47 PM

I have one of the old style made by KD or someone and I have one like the one that is pictured. The old one buckeled with a good roller spring and the type that is pictured did the Job.

Go ahead and buy it.

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 09:38 PM

OK thanks guys.

I had one that had the air cylinder on it. It wouldn't compress a Hemi double spring with my measly 120PSI. I took it to a friend's shop and used 175 PSI and it still wouldn't do it. Sold it on Ebay.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 09:57 PM

Do you use a socket and hammer it on the retainer to unlock the keepers and retainers before trying to disassemble the springs on the heads? If not try that first I have several differnt valve spring compressors including a Snap On and one with the air cylinder on top that you described, it will work on most roller springs (under 800 lbs so far) if I knock the retainers and keepers first with a socket and hammer I am looking to buy a better one like in your picture and from Mancini
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 10:01 PM

My spring comp. is like the one posted, but its older then I am and have never had an issues with it.

Cab is right as well, ive never used the socket method but a few good thumps with a rubber hammer does the same and I do the same after assembly to make sure everything is seated.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 10:09 PM

Quote:

Summit, and other places, sells a spring compressor that appears to be copied and sold under various names.

Here is a pic. My question is ... has anyone used one of these? Do they work very well? This would be for Hemi springs.

By 'work well' I mean do they have enough guts to compress the spring and not feel like they are going to flex apart.

I have that model and it works great until you try some of the triple roller springs and then it wants to spring open and almost take your head off with the handle. I purchased a LSM on the engine spring comp and really liked it so I bought their off the engine comp and it really works great. Summite sells both models.

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 10:26 PM

Yes, I use the socket tap method.

I saw that aluminum job....looks nice but more $$ than I want to spend for a tool I don't use a lot.

The design is one they claim is super strong though I have to say all those curves don't look especially strong.

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 10:33 PM

I'd be interested in knowing what they use in the circled areas for taking axial thrust and rotational forces. Is it metal to metal or do they use some sort of bearing?

Attached picture 6169506-springcomp002.jpg
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 10:34 PM

I've never used that specific compressor. I have used that same type of compressor on BBC that bolt to a stud.

These will do any head, any spring.
One's from Wizards Racing and the air one is from Melody Troxal, MTI
The other ones are for use on the head and one is hand made!

I wish the previous poster would post a smaller picture so we don't have to scoll back and forth.

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 10:41 PM

Quote:

I'd be interested in knowing what they use in the circled areas for taking axial thrust and rotational forces. Is it metal to metal or do they use some sort of bearing?

There is a bearing located in both circles.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 10:45 PM

Hey, anyone have a pic of a shaft system spring pressure checker?

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 10:52 PM

Quote:

The tool with a pressure gauge iin my picture above is a spring pressure tester that can be used with shaft mounted rockers.

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 10:54 PM

Here's another cool hemi compressor, works great.

This tool is similar in design I think, it works fine, but the frame on that tool don't look to hot to me.

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 10:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The tool with a pressure gauge iin my picture above is a spring pressure tester that can be used with shaft mounted rockers.

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 11:07 PM

Do you clip that one on the top of the rocker, it does not seem to have enough hook to grab the shaft

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 11:22 PM

Quote:

Do you clip that one on the top of the rocker, it does not seem to have enough hook to grab the shaft

it hooks under the rocker arm by the push rod and rests on top the rocker over the spring. They recommend setting up your springs on a bench style pressure checker and then use the supplied shims to calibrate so that the readings are the same and you are good to go. Mine was calibrated right from the box. It comes in very handy at the track and can also be used to check for any binding.

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 11:30 PM

I am not sure if you can do offset intake rocker with that , my intakes are like .650 off center, W5 junk, but it looks like a good tool for normal stuff

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 11:34 PM

I just used it on a set of 440-1 rockers and it worked great with that offset.

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 11:45 PM

Cool, Where did ya get it

Re: Valve Spring compressor - 08/31/10 11:53 PM

Quote:

Cool, Where did ya get it

Summit
© 2024 Moparts Forums