Moparts

M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS

Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 04:08 AM

These heads any good??? I remember back in the early 90's when they came out but dont hear much about them now.
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 06:00 AM

I run them on my 496 70 3400 pound Dart, runs [Email]10.22@126[/Email] so far. Broke my driveshaft at the end of last year, checked motor and trans waiting on new shaft and yokes should get high 9's. These heads were ported when I brought them has had valve spring pocket work, clearence for push rods and bowl work. No flow #. Did some Nitrous tuning when the drive shaft broke...Matt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjGtqFFFo6k
Posted By: moparniac

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 09:24 AM

I have a set of the intake spacers if anyone wants to buy them

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 12:32 PM

Thaks Wicked....and oh,by the way??? WICKED DART!!!!!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 01:54 PM

unless the yare Chapman CNC they need a lot of work to get them to their potential. you need to check everything on them , machining operations had no QC , I have a casting that when you put it on the dowel pins on the block only 2 heads bolts will thread into the block.

Best would be to find a good used set that have already been fixed .
Posted By: fishy340

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 02:07 PM

i heard there poor quality..leaks,from my mopar sansay!
Posted By: dragram440

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 02:17 PM

I have a set on my 499 I have only made three passes on the car but the heads I bought new and they were already completely worked over. Car ran 10.89 @ 126 mph spinning @ 3680 lb
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 02:45 PM

I've run Stage VI heads since the early 90's. At the time they were the ONLY moderately priced aluminum big block head..... but the time you got them fixed and hopefully didn't get a porous set you usually had more into them that you ever wanted. I've seen a few sets go nines and mine have helped my Mirada go 10.0's at 134.

Dwayne Porter is THE MAN for the stage VI heads, although he does laugh that people still call him and ask about them...... there are so many better choices out there now.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 02:49 PM

If the price is right and they have already had the work done like mine how can you pass em up.
Posted By: BradH

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 04:15 PM

They're not B1s, but they pushed my 3750# 440 street car to mid 10s on pump gas. Mine had the full Porter Racing Heads treatment and have met all my expectations for them.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 04:26 PM

Quote:

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 04:40 PM

I would NEVER buy them new and I would never buy B-1's either. I will always be a street guy,not a all out racer so I wouldnt need B-1's

How does the Stage 6's compare with the Edelbrocks??

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 05:00 PM

Quote:

How does the Stage 6's compare with the Edelbrocks??

IMO...
- Better chamber design (heart shaped = more efficient)
- Better intake port (raised runner = straighter shot at valve)
- Better exhaust port (raised slightly = better peak flow)
- Fully ported Stage VIs and comparably ported Edelbrock Performer RPMs can flow similar #s, but the chamber & runner of the Stage VI works better

Out of the box quality is better w/ Edelbrocks than the MP heads. If you buy stuff new, it'll cost you more initially to get the MP stuff truly "ready to run".

Like I said, "IMO"... but they've certainly worked well for me.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 05:33 PM

the mp stage 6's have some interesting design compromises. the valves are too short, the valve spring pockets are too deep, and there were some qc issues early on. the short valves and deep spring pockets restrict the port shape going into the bowl (the roof of the port is low and can't be raised). there are plenty of eddies running nines, maybe even eights, prolly.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 05:51 PM

Quote:

the mp stage 6's have some fatal flaws, imho. the valves are too short, the valve spring pockets are too deep, and there were some qc issues early on. the short valves and deep spring pockets restrict the port shape going into the bowl (the roof of the port is low and can't be raised). there are plenty of eddies running nines, maybe even eights, prolly.

Those issues on the Stage 6's can be addressed , they were on the heads we ran on the EM470.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 05:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 06:02 PM

Quote:

the mp stage 6's have some fatal flaws, imho...

I don't think "fatal flaws" is the right term. The design has limitations as a result of MP's original goal to offer a replacement head that could leverage much of the existing valve train (valves, rocker arms, springs) available already for OEM heads. Given those limitations, they work pretty well.

Those small(er) ports result in high velocity and very good throttle response, even when using moderate compression ratios and fairly large cams for true street use.

If you want big(ger) ports while keeping the basic Stage VI design, you can go w/ Edelbrock Victors or Chapman's Stage VIs.
Posted By: bp27

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 06:09 PM

Mike I run B1-BS heads on the street. thay run good.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/30/10 06:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the mp stage 6's have some fatal flaws, imho...

I don't think "fatal flaws" is the right term. The design has limitations as a result of MP's original goal to offer a replacement head that could leverage much of the existing valve train (valves, rocker arms, springs) available already for OEM heads. Given those limitations, they work pretty well.

Those small(er) ports result in high velocity and very good throttle response, even when using moderate compression ratios and fairly large cams for true street use.

If you want big(ger) ports while keeping the basic Stage VI design, you can go w/ Edelbrock Victors or Chapman's Stage VIs.

i'll change it to "design compromises".

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/31/10 12:10 AM

Thanks Guys!!!

Bob....I know you run them and im sure they are a GREAT head but I wouldnt want to spend alot of money.
Posted By: earthmover

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/31/10 12:57 AM

hay mike you going big block we're in the planing stage for my sons car now and dec. on what we're going to do with the backend .

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/31/10 01:40 AM

Hey Mike......Naw,Im a SB guy and probably would never run a BB UNLESS I found one cheap enough.
Posted By: earthmover

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/31/10 02:48 AM

i know what you mean .my son told me that once he beats me with his big block i'll change over but he forgot im the 1 building the motor so he's not going to be fast at all hahaha but we're going to try and make some preety good power with this thing if all works out for him.... you got the duster out yet??? i went out friday night and had a good time car ran ok 7.58 with a 1.63 short time the trans is going out in it i think its glideing in gear and not snapping like it use to ..but its been in the car since 99/2000 so hay its time...but im gonna try a new filter and fluid and see how it goes ...still gotta find out where i lost my time but im having fun with it thats all the matters..
Posted By: rook440

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/31/10 03:08 AM

I have a set of factory hand ported stage vi heads that made 650 hp and 650 tq at midwest racing engines on a 505 with 13 to 1 compression and a 700 lift roller ....power was all in by 5700 tho ...frankly I like them ..they have their faults tho ....lots better than 915s

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/31/10 01:07 PM

Hey Mike....It is running but we kind of "Threw it together" so I was able to load it on and off the trailer. So before I take it to the track,its got to cool down first and I need to check EVERYTHING over to make sure its ALL right. I will let you know when I go racing.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/31/10 02:31 PM

had them on the duster when I first bought him...they were non maxwedge...just cleaned up..with a .557 cam, 1050 dom, Ebrock intake with adapters(I have a set available too)12.5 ross pis. and at a weight of 3300lbs w/driver(must have been a heavy driver), MAX was consistant 10.0's...

had Crane 1.52 rockers(Dove)

bad part was the LY rods which seemed to have snapped many times as there were 4 sleeves in the block and many dents and repairs to the oil pan...LOL

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/31/10 08:44 PM

I like mine so far.
Posted By: flathood

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 08/31/10 11:12 PM

Useful info http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techa...ting/index.html

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/01/10 12:35 AM

Quote:

Useful info http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techa...ting/index.html

those be the stage vi chapmans. very expensive, and VERY good! those heads are amazing. too bad i'm not awash in lucre!
Posted By: BloFish

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/02/10 08:11 PM

I run them on my 500ci 575hp crate engine. I just got these today for $999.99 too good to pass up

http://slo.craigslist.org/pts/1862914057.html

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/02/10 09:14 PM

Quote:

I just got these today for $999.99 too good to pass up

Are those "out of the box"? Not sure from the description.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that "out of the box" Stage VIs can require a lot of $$$ to make 'em right, even if you get them cheap to begin with. MP had a whole bunch of different quality control issues w/ those things, even after the original leaking castings were long gone.

They're simply not cost-effective to buy 'em new and have to pay for all the "fix it" work needed, compared to the other choices available today. It's a shame, too, because they can work really well, once finished properly.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/02/10 09:41 PM

They are right out of the box, he even included new Mopar valves. I just had Harland Sharp make me a custom set of rockers/shafts with the proper offset for my existing stage VI heads, that's why I bought these. I won't be trying another brand anytime soon

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/02/10 09:52 PM

Nice deal!!!!! Are you having someone port and flow them??
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/02/10 10:05 PM

I had a set on my 496 low deck stroker...ported first by Muscle Motors on my stock stroke 440..went 5.28 in the 1/8 on my dragster...built my low deck and had them re-ported by a local small block chevy "expert" (I know, I know)...they then went 4.86 at 140 in the same dragster with the addition of a roller cam (old 440 was a flat tappet) the stock block engine made 782hp on the dyno. So I guess I am happy with my stage VI's. My

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/02/10 11:10 PM

Quote:

I will have Dwayne Porter do them for me.
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/02/10 11:49 PM

Hmm I know where there is a set for sale . . . Close to Florida too.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/download.php?Number=6115824

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 01:35 AM

Quote:

I have a set of factory hand ported stage vi heads that made 650 hp and 650 tq at midwest racing engines on a 505 with 13 to 1 compression and a 700 lift roller ....power was all in by 5700 tho ...frankly I like them ..they have their faults tho ....lots better than 915s

Interesting.... Mine are small ports that I purchased from Muscle Motors and then later sent to Dewayne Porter (picts and info in the archives here) for additional work. While I've never dynoes the engine, we've shifted as high as 6200 and not had any gain over the 5600 shift point we've had it set at forever. I run the old tried and true Ultradyne NF 69 flat tappet grind. We did pick up a ton though when we finally removed the M1/850cfm 4150 carb and went with the M1 stage VI 4500 intake and a Carb Shop 1050. Engine is plenty powerfull for low 10 fun and easy on parts.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 12:19 PM

Do you have to use spacers all the time with Stage 6's??
Posted By: topbrent

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 01:07 PM

RB block: yes* spacers required when using a traditional RB intake and RB block.

B block: no spacers needed if using an RB intake on a B block. B intake& B block = spacers needed.

*: no RB spacers required if you use one of the wider Stage VI specific Mopar M1 intakes available for RB motors. The spacers are cast in already as is the valley tray.

- P4532758 Dominator Flange
- P4876128 MW port 4150
- P4532757 ?MW port?
- ?

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 03:12 PM

...and pay close attention to "traditional" RB intake. There were M1 intakes made to fit the RB/stage VI combo that did away with the spacers. That's what I currently run, but I still have my old "traditional" M1 and spacers stored away.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 03:51 PM

Attached picture 6175489-tmpphpjFl0GA.jpg

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 04:38 PM

Quote:

...and pay close attention to "traditional" RB intake. There were M1 intakes made to fit the RB/stage VI combo that did away with the spacers.

In the Stage VI intakes, the 4500 version was a much better performer out of the box. The 4150 intake sucks, unless you pay somebody who knows intakes to perform a major rework on the underside of the carb mounting pad (like I did). The 4150 version is a good example of how band-aiding a 4500 design to fit a 4150 carb can really screw up things.

Even then, the large size of those intakes' plenums was much better suited to 500-ish engines, rather than the 440-ish size to which the standard Stage VI heads seemed best suited.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 04:46 PM

Are those heads in the ad stage 6's or the 383/440 replacement heads ?

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 04:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I will have Dwayne Porter do them for me.

IMO, he's a great choice for that work. Be prepared for him to let you know about all the other "stuff" he finds that need to be fixed. That's life w/ Stage VIs...

Mine actually just came back from Dwayne's shop this week. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do w/ 'em.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 04:47 PM

Quote:

... because they can work really well, once finished properly.

I have the EM470 heads and ran them until I switched to alcohol, and I didn't want to take a chance with the epoxy in the intake ports. So they are a back up for a gas setup.

My Indy 440-1 heads run about the same as the highly modified/ported EM470 heads. But my E85(ethanol) combo makes a little more power since it added injection, a bigger cam, more CR, with the fuel. So the EM470 heads are about the same as a decent set of Indy 440-1's (not the CNC version).

In good air, they went 9.29 in my 3220 pound Dart, with a flat tappet cam.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 04:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... because they can work really well, once finished properly.

I have the EM470 heads and... they went 9.29 in my 3220 pound Dart, with a flat tappet cam.

You probably had the fastest full-bodied (3000+ #s) Stage VI-headed car on the planet. The only cars w/ those heads that I'd ever heard of going faster were tube-chassis deals that were closer to 2500 #s.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 05:07 PM

Quote:

Are those heads in the ad stage 6's or the 383/440 replacement heads ?

Yes, they are stage VI heads.
.290 offset.

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 10:15 PM

Quote:

Mine actually just came back from Dwayne's shop this week. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do w/ 'em.

(Don't look here...)
Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/03/10 11:53 PM

Well I need to chime in here a bit. My car weighs 3100# w/out me in it. Im a good 270, so we are at almost 3400#. I just went 10.29@126 at Quaker city. Ive been running this on a Muscle motors 474 kit for sometime now. Not a really hard combo either, old Ultra-Dyne .613 flat tappet cam shaft. The heads were done by Minors engine in Ohio. Ive never had them flowed or have I ever done anything since they were done. The car is dead on and runs well anywhere. Cant knock the heads at all. I know they are not Indy's or B-1's, but they seem to work. We will be at Norwalk w/a fresh motor. Curious if I will see some quicker times over Quaker. Track was ba, but the air was great. See ya, Ken Michalik

Attached picture 6176278-Grnmotor6.jpg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/04/10 02:24 AM

Here is a pic of one of mine...This is the street version. Porting done by Radar at R&J Performance in Hudson,Iowa...

Attached picture 6176508-stage6-Mvc-014f.jpg

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/04/10 02:28 AM

Looks like jewelry
Posted By: tboomer

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/04/10 02:43 AM

Thanks!! For those who don't know Radar Lechtenberg....He used to work for Gary Ostrich. He went on his own and did heads for John Force and Kenny Bernstien. He is now doing Pro Stock heads for the S&S cycles in NHRA...Not bad for a local guy!!

Re: M.P. STAGE 6 HEADS - 09/05/10 06:16 PM

Quote:

Well I need to chime in here a bit. My car weighs 3100# w/out me in it. Im a good 270, so we are at almost 3400#. I just went [Email]10.29@126[/Email] at Quaker city. Ive been running this on a Muscle motors 474 kit for sometime now. Not a really hard combo either, old Ultra-Dyne .613 flat tappet cam shaft. The heads were done by Minors engine in Ohio. Ive never had them flowed or have I ever done anything since they were done. The car is dead on and runs well anywhere. Cant knock the heads at all. I know they are not Indy's or B-1's, but they seem to work. We will be at Norwalk w/a fresh motor. Curious if I will see some quicker times over Quaker. Track was ba, but the air was great. See ya, Ken Michalik

Are those Harland Sharp rockers Ken? I f so, what valve covers are you using?
© 2024 Moparts Forums