Moparts

New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson

Posted By: flatiron

New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 02:00 AM

I know I'm opening up a can of worms as far as tire makers. I have a 1972 Dart strictly strip car with a 360 in it. The wheels are 15x7 Auto Drags with 3.25 back space. Not sure which tire to get Hoosier slicks 26x9.0-15 or ET Drags in 26x8.5-15 any in put? Also how much would I lose in gearing going from a 26 inch tire to a 28 inch I currently have 4.10 gears
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 12:58 PM

I'm running 29x10 Hoosiers and it dead hooks every time. I run 3.91 gears and a mild 360.
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 03:22 PM

M/T's will last longer and hook great. That's all I will run after trying Hoosiers for a year.
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 03:33 PM

M/T's all the way!!!!!
Posted By: BobR

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 03:37 PM

M/T's smaller tire and Outlaw 10.5 tires are excellent. Their big tire program is behind the competition imo. You won't see many, if any, Pro Mod/Pro Street cars using M/T's but most of the fast Outlaw cars are running them.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 03:44 PM

I picked up 60' by switching from Goodyear to M/T. This is a 15X33 tire. If I can ever get the last couple of pieces for my engine we will see how long they last.
Posted By: rva

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 04:49 PM

Quote:

M/T's will last longer and hook great. That's all I will run after trying Hoosiers for a year.

Posted By: flatiron

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 04:57 PM

Guess I'll stick with the M/T. They call for tubes. But I also hear of guys running them with out what's up with that? I'm already having to dig deep in my pockets for new tires hate to shell out another 125 bucks if I don't need to
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 05:15 PM

They'll go flat in a week or two without tubes. DAMHIK...

Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 05:52 PM

Quote:

Guess I'll stick with the M/T. They call for tubes. But I also hear of guys running them with out what's up with that? I'm already having to dig deep in my pockets for new tires hate to shell out another 125 bucks if I don't need to

Try some dish washing soap on the inside of the tires. Lay it down nice and thick and let it dry, it will fill the pores of the tires and stop or slow down any leaks. I have some 33*15's that don't go flat at all with no tubes.
Posted By: abodiesonly1

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 06:18 PM

M/T with no tubes here. Like stated above try Dawn dish soap, covering the inside of the tire. Let it sit 24 hrs before mounting.

I tried Hoosiers last year and short times seemed to vary a bit, to the extent I replaced my old SS springs and shocks. Went back to the Mickey's for this season and the 60's went right back as well.
Posted By: BobR

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 09:44 PM

Quote:

I picked up 60' by switching from Goodyear to M/T. This is a 15X33 tire. If I can ever get the last couple of pieces for my engine we will see how long they last.

Try Hoosiers.
Posted By: racerx

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 09:51 PM

Quote:

M/T's all the way!!!!!

x2
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/23/10 10:59 PM

Phoenix!! Last a long time and always hook.
Posted By: NoJoke

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/24/10 12:57 AM

Hoosier 1000%
Posted By: REHBERGERRACING

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/24/10 01:01 AM

Phoenix...2000%
By far the best tire I have used.
Posted By: Runner

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/24/10 01:08 AM

on my junk i got a few more pass on my hoosiers than i did on m/ts, im now running Phoenix, they seem to be alot more consistant and are wearing better than either hoosiers or m/t. ill be sticking with them on my next set as well.
Posted By: 383man

383man - 08/24/10 05:05 AM

I am using a Hoosier 30 x 9 radial slick and I really like them. I would definetly use tubes if you go with M/T. I have a set of M/T slicks and they wont hold air at all. I mean they go flat in about 30 minutes. My Hoosier hold air as good as a tire with tubes. They held the same pressure all winter without tubes. I do a good burnout and they will hook good for me but of course its only a mid 11 car and most of my racing is T & T or Mopar events as I am not an every weekend racer. I can also tell you I have been driving on the street with the Hoosier radial slicks since April of 2009 and they handle great ! I have raced on them 3 times and put over 2000 street miles on them and they still have plenty of tread on them. I just have to be careful if I get caught in rain. Ron
Posted By: jdfpam

Re: 383man - 08/24/10 05:17 AM

Mickey Thompson all the way!!!

Jeff Day
Posted By: justinp61

Re: New Slicks Hoosier or Mickey Thompson - 08/24/10 02:27 PM

Quote:

Phoenix!! Last a long time and always hook.

I think my next ones will be Phoenix.
© 2024 Moparts Forums