Moparts

Magnum parts on an early la

Posted By: 1swingin

Magnum parts on an early la - 08/15/10 02:19 PM

Well I got alot of great responses on building a lowbuck 360 for my demon. I have a low mileage 360 out of an 85 truck and a good running magnum 318. I was told to put the heads and rockers off the 318 onto the 360. Can I use the roller lifter setup and pushrods off the magnum motor or do I have to stay with the old flat tappet stuff. I know the intake bolts are different. Any help would be appreciated. Ive owned 30 mopars and this is my first small block! Thanks again guys!!!
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Magnum parts on an early la - 08/15/10 02:39 PM

Magnum heads oil through the pushrods and LA's through the rocker shafts.
I don't know that you can't use Hyd. rollers , but I don't think the magnums are a drop in ........I recall reading that this swap was done with AMC lifters , and I don't know if there is a hyd. roller that will work with this deal.
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: Magnum parts on an early la - 08/15/10 06:05 PM

I have a set of conversion push rods with about 1 hr run time on them that I got for a boat engine head swap. then went with a 360 magnum instead.
Posted By: 1swingin

Re: Magnum parts on an early la - 08/15/10 09:21 PM

So should I use the amc lifters and magnum pushrods? I would like to use the hyd. rollers but if its gonna be a major modification then I will use a hyd. flat tappet lifter. I just want to make sure Iam using the proper parts for the conversion. Also, are the amc lifters the same height as a mopar lifter or am I going to be buying special length pushrods? Thanks
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Magnum parts on an early la - 08/15/10 10:14 PM

the 85 360 is not setup to use the OEM roller lifters from the Magnum engines.

you can use the retro fit roller lifters if you want to go hydraulic roller cam/ lifters.

otherwise the amc/mopar lifter that oil thru the pushrods are the one to use.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Magnum parts on an early la - 08/15/10 11:59 PM

Can't help you on the push rod length.
I'd slap her together and mock up before I started torquing in earnest.
Check what length it wants and if it is the same as the magnums , you are good to go.
If not , you are spending somewhere around 125.00 and calling Smith Brothers.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Magnum parts on an early la - 08/16/10 01:20 PM

there was a block change for the OEM roller lifters...the lifter bores are taller, and there's some bosses in the valley for the lifter hold downs.

get some retainers off of a 2.2l mopar, and some hughes #1110 springs.

cam, use a flat tappet comp magnum 280H....
© 2024 Moparts Forums