Moparts

Which Mig welder????

Posted By: 74-440Charger

Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 05:22 PM

Going to start welding, need to pick a machine. Will be using for sub-frame connectors, some roll cage gusseting, sheet metal etc. Don't anticipate any real hevy stuff. Like to hear your recommendations on a machine...gas or flux wire, brand etc...thanks in advance.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 05:47 PM

You get many fine opinions but from someone who has endured welding with a crappy unit this is the minimum I would recommend.

http://store.cyberweld.com/mi211aumigwe.html
Posted By: We The People

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 06:15 PM

That is a nice machine...it will do every thing you need for a race car. unless your into tig, but if your just starting to weld thats probly N/A. good luck

Attached picture 6131034-elephantear.JPG
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 06:20 PM

You cant go wrong with Miller
Posted By: The Duster

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 06:57 PM

I'm just starting too, but after a lot research, I went with the Hobart Handler 187. Hobart is owned by Miller, and some of the parts are the same but at a lower price. The gun even says Miller on it.

http://hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler187/

I got mine at my local Tractor Supply (TSC) for $600. You will still need to buy a tank ($210) and fill with C25 ($20), and a cart. I have yet to get a 50 foot extension cord ($110). You will also need to have your garage wired for the welder. I did mine myself, but you need to know what you're doing. Most people should have it done. I wired two outlets, one in front and one in the back of the garage. From what I learned before buying, there are three good brands to buy. Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 07:19 PM

Quote:

Hobart is owned by Miller, and some of the parts are the same but at a lower price. The gun even says Miller on it.

They aren't the same internally.

The handler 187 is a nice machine.
Posted By: Welderman

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 07:28 PM

If your really serious. Buy a Lincoln Electric Power Mig 255. You also cant go wrong. First of all dont believe all the lies about a 110 volt machine. Dont waste your money!!! A 220 volt machine is the ONLY way to go. It gives you the ability to weld from 16ga.(1/16 in.) up to 3/8 in. plus it has a cheat sheet for wire speed and volt settings. Very User friendly for beginners and veterans alike. Plus its made entirely in Cleveland,Ohio. With this machine youll be capable of everything youve described and so much more. Oh yeah, Just FYI, Have your electrician wire in a 20 ft. extention lead(cord) into your panel. That way you can roll out around car, across shop,outside for sidejobs(mufflers,trailer repair,etc.). A new Lincoln will cost you about $2500.oo complete with small 75/25 mix cylinder. Depending upon your location, you could go with a used setup for about $1000.oo or better. Shop carefully (Machinery auctions,factory auctions etc.) ALWAYS REMEMBER WHAT AND WHERE YOU ARE WELDING!!!!!!. Those sparks and heat remain long after youve stopped tacks and welds. SAFETY is always #1. I hope this will help. I have taught many people to weld in my 35 yr???? tenure. If you want I could teach you to weld online for FREE! Thank You
Posted By: TMP66

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 07:42 PM

Quote:

First of all dont believe all the lies about a 110 volt machine. Dont waste your money!!! A 220 volt machine is the ONLY way to go.

Save up and spend the extra coin. Don't use the 'I'm only going to weld thin stuff' excuse. You might regret a small cheap welder, but never a bigger quality machine.
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 08:07 PM

my lincoln 110 has served me well for 9 years now for any and all automotive work. i don't think my bee has any 3/8" steel on it anywhere? of course a 220 will be more versatile and if it's in the budget get one, but my 110 was like $500 and i use it for tons of stuff. don't bother with flux core wire, get a tank of migmix and start welding
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 08:11 PM

miller 185 here....
Posted By: The Duster

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 08:27 PM

I forgot the most important piece, the helmet. Do not skimp on the helmet at all. I got a Speedglas 9002X online auction, but there are several good ones to choose from. Things to look at are field of view, how fast it auto darkens. You may or may not want the delay option to stay dark after you stop welding because of your work still glowing, I believe this is mostly for TIG, but could be wrong.

Bottom line, protect your eyes well.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 09:03 PM

I have a Miller 210, it is a great machine, if I were to buy another it would be a Miller 252. Hobarts are made by Miller but are not the same inside.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 09:28 PM

+1 on the 220 v.
I have a Lincoln 170 and it really works well for me.
I test drove Miller's and ESAB's before I bought and they were all close in $$$
I just liked how the Lincoln worked.........easier to weld with for me.
A purely subjective criterion , but how it felt making beads did it.
Big tank of 73/30 CO2 and argon and I have been happy with it for 15 years.
Posted By: 65signet

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 09:32 PM

Miller 180 here, 220 for frame and roll bar only! 110 will not do it.
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 10:12 PM

Quote:

Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln.

Agreed, but get one with infinite voltage and wire speed control.

Dennis
Posted By: TMP66

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 11:40 PM

Quote:

I have a Miller 210, it is a great machine, if I were to buy another it would be a Miller 252.

Ditto...
Posted By: mkdart

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/09/10 11:54 PM

Lincoln SP-170T here,It's a 220 unit that works well. Mike

Attached picture 6131530-Dart14.jpg
Posted By: 74-440Charger

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/10/10 02:56 AM

Thank you all for the inputs, Moparts Rocks
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/10/10 04:16 AM

Quote:

I forgot the most important piece, the helmet. Do not skimp on the helmet at all. I got a Speedglas 9002X online auction, but there are several good ones to choose from. Things to look at are field of view, how fast it auto darkens. You may or may not want the delay option to stay dark after you stop welding because of your work still glowing, I believe this is mostly for TIG, but could be wrong.

Bottom line, protect your eyes well.

Good info on the helmet Good field of view ( especially if you ware glasses ), adjustable auto darkening and adjustable delay are all features you will want. Quality helmets will start at $150 and up. BTW, you don't need a 220 welder to weld 3/8" plate. I bought a used HTP that has adjustable weld and pause times ( great for stitching pannels ) and will easily weld 3/8" plate. Runs on 110. Unless you are welding outside in the breeze, stay away from flux core mig welders. Gas is the way to go.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/10/10 04:34 AM

Miller all the WAY

Miller 200, a miller 250, and an old 70s model miller 210. We are looking at a used miller syncro wave machine a friend has. The big miller 250, and 210 are at my dads shop in Wyoming, I have a small econo tig there too, but Dad uses them a lot. I have a new miller 200, and its got the auto arc feature. My dad in law likes it, I hate it. But by far one of the smoothest welders I have run.

Kasey
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/10/10 04:50 AM

A 140 amp 110v will be just fine for material up around 1/8" or so...despite what some say...Some of these recommendations are welders that cost towards $2K..sorry but you dont need a 225 amp Miller to do any job for a race cars/ auto's. Anything over 3/8 I weld with a stick, I dont care what it is.
But let me add this, if you live on a farm, have equipment, or piddle a bunch, a large welder will come in handy.
But for the average joe, who just wants to work on a race car......A 160-175 amp will be plenty.
I have a little 145 amp Lincoln that I can do any thing humanly possible with a race car, and have proper, strong, penetrating welds... (it just might mean some extra prep work like beveling etc)
No need for a $250 hood. Wont help a welder one bit. Those fancy hoods have there faults also. They can be andy in tight space where you dont have room to flip the hood up, thats the only advantage IMO.
The old 2x3 hoods work fine, and you can flip the welding lens and it doubles as a grinding shield....Big Plus..Cause if you do any grinding which you will, you will need a grinding shield.
Dont trust safety glasses only, you will get metal in your eye.
Flux wire can look just as good, as shielding gas also. Its cheaper to operate thats for sure.
Take the extra money you saved with a traditional hood and buy a decent welding jacket, spats, or sleeves minimal.
Just talking from someone who has burnt more welding rods in a few ten hour shift that lots of people wouldnt burn in a lifetime...

Bob Coomer
Journeyman IronWorker Local 769 Ashland Ky
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/10/10 04:55 AM

Quote:

more welding rods in a few ten hour shift that lots of people wouldnt burn in a lifetime...

Oh yea.........50 lbs of 1/8th" 7018 in two shifts...
Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/10/10 05:55 AM

Quote:

If your really serious. Buy a Lincoln Electric Power Mig 255. You also cant go wrong. First of all dont believe all the lies about a 110 volt machine. Dont waste your money!!! A 220 volt machine is the ONLY way to go. It gives you the ability to weld from 16ga.(1/16 in.) up to 3/8 in. plus it has a cheat sheet for wire speed and volt settings. Very User friendly for beginners and veterans alike. Plus its made entirely in Cleveland,Ohio. With this machine youll be capable of everything youve described and so much more. Oh yeah, Just FYI, Have your electrician wire in a 20 ft. extention lead(cord) into your panel. That way you can roll out around car, across shop,outside for sidejobs(mufflers,trailer repair,etc.). A new Lincoln will cost you about $2500.oo complete with small 75/25 mix cylinder. Depending upon your location, you could go with a used setup for about $1000.oo or better. Shop carefully (Machinery auctions,factory auctions etc.) ALWAYS REMEMBER WHAT AND WHERE YOU ARE WELDING!!!!!!. Those sparks and heat remain long after youve stopped tacks and welds. SAFETY is always #1. I hope this will help. I have taught many people to weld in my 35 yr???? tenure. If you want I could teach you to weld online for FREE! Thank You

X2

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/10/10 12:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

more welding rods in a few ten hour shift that lots of people wouldnt burn in a lifetime...

Oh yea.........50 lbs of 1/8th" 7018 in two shifts...

Holly crap!! That is a lot of rod. Went through about 20 lbs of 5/32" 6013 in one shift welding up plows in the past. Agree with most of what you said. Many of the welders listed are bigger than what is needed for most car applications - point with my comment - My 110 powered welder will weld 3/8" ( which you will never run in to in a car application ), but I would also go with a 250 amp or bigger stick welder for 3/8" or over. The big plus with a 110 powered welder is that you can use it just about anywhere there is a 110 outlet. I used the old flip-up 3X5" windowed helmets for years also - and chipped with them. The new self darkening helmets are just better - and better for your eyes IMO. I use a seperate clear face shield for chipping / grinding these days. Even with side shields, safety glasses won't make it. Don't ask me how I know.

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/10/10 08:53 PM

This is the welder I use most often in my shop for car work ( I also have an old Miller 225 amp buz box stick welder - 220vlt for heavier work). The HTP 140 amp is a top of the line mig welder - probably well over $1k new. I bought it used for $400. I probably have less than $600 invested in the welder, gas, helmet and all accessories in the pic. Point is you don't have to spend big $ for a quality mig welder that will handle 99% of your shop needs as there is a lot of quality used stuff out there.

Attached picture 6132996-HTP140.jpg
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/10/10 10:35 PM

WARNING>>>>COMEDIC BREAK>>>>>>>>
Quote:

Holly crap!! That is a lot of rod.

That's what she said !

Sorry , guys.
I had to.
I'll chime in on the helmet too..........I used to HATE my helmet , to the point of not even getting it out for small jobs.
Turn my head and point and pull........stupid , I know. Believe me , I know.
Then I bought a nice helmet.
Near 3 bones , and I could go in the garage and give you a name.
But the auto darkening helmets make it a pure joy to weld.
I love mine.
I do have a clear shield for grinding and switching is a small pain.
But nowhere near the P.I.T.A. that the old helmet was.
Posted By: Welderman

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/11/10 11:00 AM

Excellant advice from all . I feel as if I should clarify my opinion that if one was to upgrade to a larger voltage machine, not only would you become more versatile but you would also increase your customer base capabilities which means more revenue. Example: I dont pay for my hotrods and parts, MY CUSTOMERS DO !!!
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/12/10 03:07 AM

I bought the miller 211 with the mvp as shown in the first post. I have not too many miles on it so far but love it! Will be the last welder I'll ever need unless Gearjammer dart teaches me to TIG!!!(Hint hint)

Attached picture 6135623-IMG_4291.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Which Mig welder???? - 08/12/10 03:36 AM

I only use a shielding gas(bottle and regulator)...
I sold my 110v...all of my units are Lincoln but if
I was buying today I would be looking at a Miller....
I wouldnt mind having a 110v 140 for the race trailer
© 2024 Moparts Forums