Moparts

K-1 Technologies Conn Rods

Posted By: hemiparts

K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 02:56 AM

Any body ever us K-1 technologies connecting rods ?? Found a set to match my pistons just never heard of anyone using them ?? good ?? bad ???
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 03:03 AM

GOOD!!!

Cranks, GOOD!!!

K1, GOOD!!!

KAsey
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 03:17 AM

The K1 stuff is a very good piece for the money. Some of the better " offshore" stuff, only second to Compstar in my opinion, but way, way better selection for the Mopar crowd. I was one of the very early users of their parts when they first came out. Dan ( DRAM) got involved shortly after as well. We have had very good luck with their products.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 03:18 AM

Quote:

GOOD!!!

Cranks, GOOD!!!

K1, GOOD!!!

KAsey

Original Frankenstein movie by any chance...?
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 03:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

GOOD!!!

Cranks, GOOD!!!

K1, GOOD!!!

KAsey

Original Frankenstein movie by any chance...?

You are GOOD!!!

Kasey
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 04:42 AM

Not good, just old....

Old is GOOOOOOOD.

Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 05:07 AM

I use K1 stuff all the time. No negative issues so far. Last motor was 1000HP and it's running well at >7000 RPM.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 07:57 AM

I would ask Wild Bill.

He has gone through 4 rods now, I believe.

Pretty sure they are K-1..
So,,,, He could, and most likely would give you an honest overview of them. I'm sure they have figured out what happened by now, and whether the rods were the culprit.
It should be interesting..

Chris..
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 08:07 AM

Quote:

I would ask Wild Bill.

So,,,, He could, and most likely would give you an honest overview of them. I'm sure they have figured out what happened by now, and whether the rods were the culprit.

Chris..

if the rods were the problem shouldn't that have been caught?
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 08:11 AM

Quote:

I would ask Wild Bill.

Chris..

wild bill doesnt count he seems almost haunted when it comes to bad stuff happening sadly:(

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 09:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would ask Wild Bill.

Chris..

The first ones spun a bearing I believe. The second just broke, if I remember the pictures..
I have no inside info here. Just waiting to hear as well. But I'm quite sure you can't predict a rod failure. Unless you have a crystal ball.. If you do can you loan it out?

Chris..

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 12:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would ask Wild Bill.

Chris..

The first ones spun a bearing I believe. The second just broke, if I remember the pictures..
I have no inside info here. Just waiting to hear as well. But I'm quite sure you can't predict a rod failure. Unless you have a crystal ball.. If you do can you loan it out?

Chris..

no crystal ball, just find it hard to believe it was a rod failure twice in the same place. if it was I doubt it was the fault of the rod. something else played a roll either way.
Posted By: Shaker223

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 12:05 PM

No issues in my boosted 6.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 12:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would ask Wild Bill.

Chris..

Chris..

no crystal ball, just find it hard to believe it was a rod failure twice in the same place. if it was I doubt it was the fault of the rod. something else played a roll either way.

his combo is a stroker i believe so the condition may be for that rod/stroke ratio.i doubt we will ever know unless someone else brakes some with that combo.if rod brke like that on my i sure would not get the same rod again.

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 12:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would ask Wild Bill.

Chris..

Chris..

his combo is a stroker i believe so the condition may be for that rod/stroke ratio.i doubt we will ever know unless someone else brakes some with that combo.if rod brke like that on my i sure would not get the same rod again.

tell me how it was the fault of the rod with spinning a bearing?

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 12:47 PM

i nore you can say what went wrong. we did not inspect the failure.my view is anything could happin.

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 01:17 PM

I can assure you all of one thing. A H-beam style rod just doesnt break in half. Bills problems were clearly from something else.

Also, a spun rod bearing is not the fault of the rod. A spun bearing is either improper rod bearing clearances, poor lubrication, or an oiling problem or overstreched rod bolts ( which would almost always be an old set that are worn out). Lastly would be if there was an oblonged rod big end etc. IF the rod got hot enough, THEN it possibly break. You are talking about a total catastrophic set of conditions to break anyones ( assuming its a quality brand) H beam rod.I'll try and post some pics later of what some customers have brought me, when done wrong.

All I am saying, is I wouldnt be making this a K1 witch hunt based on what has happened to Bill. Those are other issues.

However, Wild Bill and "witch" anything might not be a good idea right about now !
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 01:39 PM

Posted By: 408Dust

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 03:06 PM

Thank you Competition Wedge and I will add that Ray Charles could of seen that was not a rod failure.

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 03:32 PM

we will never know so speek as you please.should this be in brail for you?J/K i guess i am done here.

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 04:20 PM

Metalstorm,

You may in fact be correct.

After the fact,sometimes its just an educated guess, but this isnt Scotts first dance either. I would be willing to bet he has a very good idea what happened.

Just based on my experience/opinion and knowing his experience as well.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 04:23 PM

I used K-1 rods and crankshaft in the 427 inch small block. Nice stuff and didn't have any issues with either one. The crank needed to be turned down to balance it but I'd rather turn one than add Mallory.

Attached picture 6127506-K1rod.jpg

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 04:24 PM

Quote:

we will never know so speek as you please.should this be in brail for you?J/K i guess i am done here.

you can believe what you want, we know
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/07/10 05:16 PM

I run the same rod/piston combo in my stroker and I have had it to 7000 more times than I would have liked but it's still going strong Well I hope I didn't jinx myself
I think Bill's engine just had too many hands on it
You should be the only one touching that engine from start to finish IMO.
Anyways I love my K1's they were almost perfect out of the box,just a little honing on the pin end for a few of them.
Gus

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/08/10 12:46 AM

Quote:

I can assure you all of one thing. A H-beam style rod just doesn't break in half. Bills problems were clearly from something else.

Also, a spun rod bearing is not the fault of the rod. A spun bearing is either improper rod bearing clearances, poor lubrication, or an oiling problem or over stretched rod bolts ( which would almost always be an old set that are worn out). Lastly would be if there was an oblonged rod big end etc. IF the rod got hot enough, THEN it possibly break. You are talking about a total catastrophic set of conditions to break any ones ( assuming its a quality brand) H beam rod.I'll try and post some pics later of what some customers have brought me, when done wrong.

All I am saying, is I wouldn't be making this a K1 witch hunt based on what has happened to Bill. Those are other issues.

However, Wild Bill and "witch" anything might not be a good idea right about now !

I have to disagree here. There is nothing clear about any of Bills photos, except broken parts. I don't see heat in the rod, but it is broken. Parts DO fail.. And those were the 2 new rods.

Not a witch hunt here. I have a K1 crank in my 950+ hp B1, and it is running great. But I have GRP aluminum rods.

Chris..

Attached picture 6128272-blockdamage1007.jpg

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/08/10 12:48 AM

Attached picture 6128275-BrokenRodK1.jpg
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/08/10 02:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I can assure you all of one thing. A H-beam style rod just doesn't break in half. Bills problems were clearly from something else.

Also, a spun rod bearing is not the fault of the rod. A spun bearing is either improper rod bearing clearances, poor lubrication, or an oiling problem or over stretched rod bolts ( which would almost always be an old set that are worn out). Lastly would be if there was an oblonged rod big end etc. IF the rod got hot enough, THEN it possibly break. You are talking about a total catastrophic set of conditions to break any ones ( assuming its a quality brand) H beam rod.I'll try and post some pics later of what some customers have brought me, when done wrong.

All I am saying, is I wouldn't be making this a K1 witch hunt based on what has happened to Bill. Those are other issues.

I have to disagree here. There is nothing clear about any of Bills photos, except broken parts. I don't see heat in the rod, but it is broken. Parts DO fail.. And those were the 2 new rods.

Not a witch hunt here. I have a K1 crank in my 950+ hp B1, and it is running great. But I have GRP aluminum rods.

Chris..

by looking at the pictures, i'd suspect either the wrist pin seized or the rings butted together, pulling the rod in two. once cooled back down the rings might be free again, making it easier to overlook that as the problem. a seized wrist can do almost the same thing, although galling will be very evident upon inspection. in my experience, the connecting rod itself is almost never at fault in that type of failure.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/08/10 04:25 AM

Where is the cap, bolts and whats left of the rod?

Ive seen the bolts fail for one reason or another, rod cap come off, crank cuts the rod in half with the help of the block and then sends whats left of the rod right up into the head while its turning.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/08/10 04:29 AM

Quote:

by looking at the pictures, i'd suspect either the wrist pin seized or the rings butted together, pulling the rod in two. once cooled back down the rings might be free again, making it easier to overlook that as the problem. a seized wrist can do almost the same thing, although galling will be very evident upon inspection. in my experience, the connecting rod itself is almost never at fault in that type of failure.

I have seen this failure also but the piston usually rips apart before the rod
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/08/10 03:05 PM

Quote:

Metalstorm,

After the fact,sometimes its just an educated guess, but this isnt Scotts first dance either. I would be willing to bet he has a very good idea what happened.

I wish that cause was posted. He should have told WildBill, and he makes tons of posts. I suspect oiling...
I will have to check a couple hundred of Bill's posts, but I thought he had plenty of ring end gap, 0.021"? As long as it wasn't sprayed with nitrous.

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/08/10 05:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Metalstorm,

I wish that cause was posted. He should have told WildBill, and he makes tons of posts. I suspect oiling...
I will have to check a couple hundred of Bill's posts, but I thought he had plenty of ring end gap, 0.021"? As long as it wasn't sprayed with nitrous.

with Jim, same 2 rods. maybe something in the block was clogged up. be nice to know what Scottt thinks happened. you don't make all these posts then never say.....
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/11/10 07:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Metalstorm,

with Jim, same 2 rods. maybe something in the block was clogged up. be nice to know what Scottt thinks happened. you don't make all these posts then never say.....

X2

Some kind of suspected cause of failure would be nice to see, from those who have the parts in hand. Accidents happen but some kind of avoidance plan would be a helpful thing.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/11/10 08:39 PM

I'm not trying to hide anything.

I was trying to stay out of it as I still don't know what went wrong.

I haven't been out to the shop since my last post about the motor as all of my free time since then has been consumed with my daughters racing.

I need to get back out there but the situation with my job has left me very little free time on my hands and as such my girls and their cars have gotten the priority.

FWIW, I think the K 1 rods are a great product for a good price.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/12/10 06:22 AM

This is our fourth season with K1 crank and rods. Dynoed 1580 hp and 1530 ft-lb. No problems so far.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/12/10 02:11 PM

Also, a spun rod bearing is not the fault of the rod

You mean, except for big-end eccentricity, bearing crush, cap align and bolt position.....
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/12/10 02:13 PM

Quote:

You mean, except for big-end eccentricity, bearing crush, cap align and bolt position.....

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/12/10 02:21 PM

Quote:

That would be the fault of the machinist and/or engine builder for not finding these problems before assembly. Very few rods made nowadays are useable right out of the box and all need to be checked prior to assembly.

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/12/10 02:39 PM

Thanks Chip, exactly.

If all those things WERE wrong, then you still cant blame the rod. Its the person doing the measuring and assembly.My point again was, rods just dont fail all on their own.

I think most people knew what I meant.

Then again, what would I know about that, I've only built one engine in my lifetime.....
Posted By: tboomer

Re: K-1 Technologies Conn Rods - 08/12/10 02:57 PM

Quote:

Then again, what would I know about that, I've only built one engine in my lifetime.....

yeah...right...
© 2024 Moparts Forums