Moparts

Weight transfer/front end rise basic question

Posted By: ZIPPY

Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/05/10 07:44 PM

Bear with me, and try to remember I'm
mostly a street guy....

I've got stock, big torsion bars and SS springs on my GTX, and all newer OEM type rubber bushings in it.
On a launch, the rear lifts a bunch but the front just sits there and does nothing.

It does drive nicely on the street, but 60' is very inconsistant at the strip, and over the years I've found it's a little too dependant on track prep compared to more strip oriented cars than mine. Best 60' ever has been a 1.55, but that was with stellar track prep on a perfect day. Average seems to be in the 1.6s and I'd like to improve on that a bit.

Which is going to make a greater improvement in front end rise...lighter torsion bars, or freeing up the control arms? I'm looking at a pair of MP drag bars for sale and thinking about trying them.

Thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/05/10 07:49 PM

what front shocks are you using on the car?
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/05/10 07:51 PM

Mopar Enthusiast Article

Rich - I did this a few months back and was surprised at the gains we saw.

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/05/10 08:48 PM

Cab, currently QA1 Stocker Stars set full loose
(which I feel is still too tight, and could probably use a revalving to QA1R instead).

Dave, Yep I have that article...probably should have mentioned I subscribe in old fashioned paper format

What I was really looking for is some guess at a noticeable gain with a torsion bar + shock change. If it's worth it to try that, I wanted to leave the control arms alone for now since the OE bushings have only got a couple thousand miles on them and I didn't enjoy replacing 'em at the time.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/05/10 09:36 PM

No need to change anything with the upper control arms.
Cheap OEM shocks can provide quick lift, but they also have very little resistance on compression. Not good for headers or deep oil pan. I found Koni SPA-1 shocks to work well for my combo. I took my time and followed instructions carefully to get them equal. But i forgot "where" I set them at, possibly about 3/4 loose, but it's been a while since I installed them. Smaller torsion bars will also help. Unfortunately, there will be some compromise in handling on the street with these changes.

A little extra carb tuning (pump cam and squirters) may also help by minimizing any rich or lean spots, which may not always be obvious. The purpose is to keep the application of power to the suspension as smooth as possible so it doesn't unload to any degree.

A long time ago I had a home-built Challenger with ladder bars. It wasn't the best set-up, but worked ok. Adding 130lbs helped consistency a noticable amount.
Posted By: Labratt

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/05/10 10:11 PM

Zipster...do yourself a favor and get a set of Calverts! Just about everybody who's tried them REALLY like them! I went from Lakewood 90/10's to them and it made a BIG difference in front-end rise! NO PROBLEM AT ALL on the street either! The smaller bars should be beneficial as well! I put on the .840 drag bars about 3 yrs. ago,noticeable difference from the stock bars! RandyB

Attached picture 6124691-GTXINPOLEBARN002.jpg

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/05/10 10:24 PM

I like the way your car leaves Randy, your chassis is working 100 times better than mine. thanks
Posted By: deaks

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/05/10 11:24 PM

I changed my 340 GTS bars for 6 cyl and went from 1.74 to 1.62 and pulled both wheels off the floor.
Mick

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 02:28 AM

Sounds promising, thanks.

I think I need to try the bars and find out how they act, and whether they're going to be liveable on the street for me.

Appreciate the responses
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 02:31 AM

I agree with Randy,,,

there was someone on the board selling some .840 bars
the calvert shocks are fairly inexpensive,,,,

I put them both on the Belvedere as well recently,,but havent had the chance to try them out.
Posted By: Evil67

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 03:10 AM

On my 71 i raised rear a little and stiffened shocks - improved 60' .2sec.....it was a 4 link car though but same front setup as yours. oh well ...just thought i would put my 2cents in...maybe help????

Attached picture 6125279-Duster_sideweb.jpg
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 03:47 AM

BACK IN THE DAY WE DRILLED A HOLE IN THE FRONT SHOCKS
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 04:55 AM

Quote:

I keep a set of those in the trailer sometimes a drilled shock on the right side(paasenger) can make the difference in hooking and not hooking
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 04:59 AM

Any pics of these drilled shocks??
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 05:08 AM

Quote:

they must have been a ball of fun when lifting or hitting the brakes at speed.
Posted By: Labratt

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 05:16 AM

Mike,I'll post one tomorrow! Mike Ricketts(Macomb Missile)gave me a set to try out a few yrs.ago! They definately transfer the weight nicely...just don't hit a hole on your return trip!!! I thought ALL my fillings and bridge were going to come flyin' out of my mouth! Needless to say,they've been on the pole barn shelf since! RandyB
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 05:21 AM

LOL...Thats funny!!!!
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 05:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

they must have been a ball of fun when lifting or hitting the brakes at speed.

I laugh when looking back at things we tried. besides the drilled shock. CAB pointed that out
I can remember running a 7" B-140 M&H slick on a 5" rim with 2 lb of air. Yes TWO POUNDS !!
We thought those skinny rims would push down more weight on the center of the slick.
The first time I did that and reached the traps I nearly pooped in my draws.
The entire rear of the car would sway side to side about 2 feet.
thankfully the front tracked straight.
The tire or maybe the rim would move left to right from bead to bead.
After the first time I got used to it but it sure was crazy
Posted By: BB Dart 69

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 05:47 AM

Quote:

BACK IN THE DAY WE DRILLED A HOLE IN THE FR
ONT SHOCKS

I was thinking the same thing, wicked on the street!
Posted By: proshiftcharger

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/06/10 06:05 AM

What is the size of the small block V-8 original factory torsion bar?
Compared to the .840 drag bar Im wondering whats lighter and would transfer weight better between the S/B V-8 and the .840 drag bar??
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/08/10 12:22 AM

I am curious as to the results from changing the bars and also changing the shocks out in ET differences.
I have thought about doing these changes also but just need to justify the cost in doing it.
My blue RR 60' like Zippy's but it does raise the front some just no Air under the tires yet.
It runs 10.90's ET and 1.62 - 1.67 60' times.
David
Posted By: proshiftcharger

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/08/10 05:06 AM

Quote:

I am curious as to the results from changing the bars and also changing the shocks out in ET differences.
I have thought about doing these changes also but just need to justify the cost in doing it.
My blue RR 60' like Zippy's but it does raise the front some just no Air under the tires yet.
It runs 10.90's ET and 1.62 - 1.67 60' times.
David

David,
In your sig pic....
what brand & size (width & heighth) front tire are you running?
I like the look and how it fills out the wheel well.

Doug
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/08/10 01:56 PM

Fred, when I think of some of the stuff we pulled, my blood runs cold.

Find a set of worn out shocks in someone's garbage pile, drill a hole in them to let whatever is left of the fluid out, and WALLA.....instant drag shock. Cheep.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/08/10 01:56 PM

6cyl .830. 6cyl w/ac and 318 .850. 318 w/ac and 340 .870. The B body stock diameters are .860, .880 and .900
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/08/10 02:23 PM

Quote:

Cab, currently QA1 Stocker Stars set full loose
(which I feel is still too tight, and could probably use a revalving to QA1R instead).

I borrowed a set of the QA1 shocks (A-body) and they were very loose during extension on the lightest setting. Looser than my Koni SPA-1. The compression damping is different. I don't think these were revalved to QA1-R, since the body of the shock didn't have the "R" on it. That seems strange.

Don't forget about the rear shocks. It is important to control the rear suspension separation on launch (extension damping).

Attached picture 6128965-QA1_TC1538P_2small.jpg

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/08/10 04:05 PM

Yep, I will probably need to play with the rear shocks too at some point and will need to give that some thought. Extension damping on mine is probably not controlled enough.

Long ago I tried some inexepensive CE 50/50 shocks in the rear but found them unliveable on the street (too stiff in compression/no good for Michigan potholes). In hindsight they might have been fine with a more compliant tire but at the time I was testing with stiff radials and that didn't work at all.
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Weight transfer/front end rise basic question - 08/08/10 09:43 PM

Doug, I have the biggest Moroso tires on the front of the grey car. They are the 7.60 x 15 tall ones.

I know the blue RR has the 7.10 x 15 tires on it and they fit that car Nice.

David
© 2024 Moparts Forums