Moparts

N/SS...why no smallblocks?

Posted By: TMP66

N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 08:29 AM

Just wondering why...It seems every nostalgia super stock association only allows the use of big blocks. You would think if they stuck to the current rules on vehicle years and just allowed small block combinations that were availiable, they could get more interest and Participation.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 12:22 PM

Participation and interest are not a problem. Believe me, we have races every other week in the northeast with 40-50 car fields. There is literally more than I can attend.

The reason for the rule is that NSS racing is designed to re-create the factory "wars" of the sixties. That was totally done with big cars, and big blocks. The exception to the big cars were some of the factory SS packages....i.e. Hemi Darts & Cudas, AMX SS packages, and the Ford CJ deals.

The fear, and I share it, is that once you let small blocks/pony cars in, you pretty much have destroyed the uniqueness of it. NSS cars are not bracket cars...they are unique. Once you start with small block Camaros, Dusters, etc., then you've opened it up to regular bracket guys with a bracket mentality. Those cars are not unique in local racing today. There's nothing wrong with that, but it ain't NSS racing the way it was. Most NSS races are index races (here most have a dial that ends in zero, with no change in dial.

Like I say, popularity and participation are not a problem with the way things are set up now, so don't expect it to change anytime soon.
Posted By: Troublemaker427

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 01:18 PM

Well said Steve. I agree with you, don't fix it if it ain't broke...

Quote:

Participation and interest are not a problem. Believe me, we have races every other week in the northeast with 40-50 car fields. There is literally more than I can attend.

The reason for the rule is that NSS racing is designed to re-create the factory "wars" of the sixties. That was totally done with big cars, and big blocks. The exception to the big cars were some of the factory SS packages....i.e. Hemi Darts & Cudas, AMX SS packages, and the Ford CJ deals.

The fear, and I share it, is that once you let small blocks/pony cars in, you pretty much have destroyed the uniqueness of it. NSS cars are not bracket cars...they are unique. Once you start with small block Camaros, Dusters, etc., then you've opened it up to regular bracket guys with a bracket mentality. Those cars are not unique in local racing today. There's nothing wrong with that, but it ain't NSS racing the way it was. Most NSS races are index races (here most have a dial that ends in zero, with no change in dial.

Like I say, popularity and participation are not a problem with the way things are set up now, so don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 01:26 PM

They are afraid of getting there azzes kicked..This way they know a big block will win no matter how slow it is.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 01:28 PM

Quote:

well put

Casey
Posted By: Mr340

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 01:32 PM

Quote:

They are afraid of getting there azzes kicked..This way they know a big block will win no matter how slow it is.

Well Said Phil
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 02:08 PM

Quote:

Just wondering why...It seems every nostalgia super stock association only allows the use of big blocks. You would think if they stuck to the current rules on vehicle years and just allowed small block combinations that were availiable, they could get more interest and Participation.

How many factory Super Stock packages came from the factory with a small block?
Posted By: proshiftcharger

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 04:04 PM

Quote:

ditto
Posted By: BradH

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 07:34 PM

Quote:

... the factory "wars" of the sixties... was totally done with big cars, and big blocks. The exception to the big cars were some of the factory SS packages....i.e. Hemi Darts & Cudas, AMX SS packages, and the Ford CJ deals.

That's the gist of it: Super Stock during that era on the drag strip was ruled by big blocks. Small blocks were basically an afterthought for the budget-minded.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 07:46 PM

Sometime they were for people that wanted to win. Jenkins Hemi hunter.

Attached picture 6118710-66chevy2varga.jpg
Posted By: BradH

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 08:02 PM

Jenkins' Chevy II was the exception to the rule...
Posted By: emarine01

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 08:29 PM

I think they are afraid of Vic
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 08:39 PM

any car even your granny's slant 6 wagon when changed to meet the rules could be a S/S class racer.
I think you will find all the NSS cars to be a factory built as a race package.
There is a difference
Posted By: RATPATROL

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 09:00 PM

maybe they can't afford the oil dry.

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 09:21 PM

Quote:

maybe they can't afford the oil dry.

I walked the entire length of all 4 lanes at that track moments after Bob Reed crashed. There is no rubber on the track anywhere. At best a slight haze that could been seen clear thru showing the concrete. Maybe the professional cars Top fuel and funny car can lay down enough to stick with all those wings and downforce they make. My sneakers didn't even stick to the track anywhere I stepped. At ATCO the track surface is so sticky they get pulled off even at the finish line.

my attempt moments after the track had been sprayed

Posted By: emarine01

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 09:26 PM

Well at least it was the right wall this time
Posted By: tubtar

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 09:53 PM

Please tell me that the bottom pic is as close to the wall as you got.
That doesn't look like any kind of fun.

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/02/10 11:50 PM

Quote:

Please tell me that the bottom pic is as close to the wall as you got.
That doesn't look like any kind of fun.

that's all no more.
my car never did that move before
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/03/10 12:20 AM

Scary, but I still love that first picture.

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/03/10 01:30 AM

Jenkins Chevy II was an A/Stocker, not a SS car. Besides, it was beaten by Jere Stahl's A/S Hemi Belvedere three of the four NHRA events that existed in 1966. The only reason Jere Stahl didn't win the Winternationals, the fourth NHRA event is because the car hadn't been competed at that time.

Do your homework......
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/03/10 01:35 AM

because they want the cars to go fast
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/03/10 04:13 AM

I know the Nova was run in the Stock classes but as you can clearly see in the picture it was also run in
C/SS.

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/03/10 09:09 PM

Quote:

Participation and interest are not a problem. Believe me , we have races every other week in the northeast with 40-50 car fields There is literally more than I can attend.

When I mentioned participation and interest, I look at it from the perspective of living west of the continental divide. Not nearly the amount of events or number of associations like back east and in the midwest.

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/07/10 04:35 AM

Quote:

The fear, and I share it, is that once you let small blocks/pony cars in, you pretty much have destroyed the uniqueness of it. NSS cars are not bracket cars...they are unique. Once you start with small block Camaros, Dusters, etc., then you've opened it up to regular bracket guys with a bracket mentality.

Not sure exactally what a "bracket mentality" is.

NSS cars, if built to the limit of rules of most associations (Lexan windows, liberal use of fiberglass, oversized 'factory' hood scoops, intake & carb combos that never existed for certain year vehicles, aluminum heads, unlimited C.I.) combined with lack of real a real class structure other than pick your class based on ET, they are are more bracket car than real super stocker.

If the cars are restricted by year and visual appearance to resemble S/S cars or even Jr. stockers of the past to include big car/small car small block combos it would make the series even more unique and like it really was back in the day.
Just my and thinking a little outside the current box.
Posted By: topside

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/07/10 05:55 AM

I'd be willing to wager that if historical lower SS class cars came, as in wearing their period paint schemes and equipment, they'd be popular. I would love to see even the real/vintage lower Stock class cars, like the '55-'57 Chevys, run. Those were great days.
I really don't even care about their ETs that much, just to see them run again.
No elimination ladder, just bring the old cars out and make a few passes, display, visit with the "real" guys you'd invite, and keep the history alive and correct.

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/07/10 08:10 AM

Quote:

I'd be willing to wager that if historical lower SS class cars came, as in wearing their period paint schemes and equipment, they'd be popular. I would love to see even the real/vintage lower Stock class cars, like the '55-'57 Chevys, run. Those were great days. I really don't even care about their ETs that much, just to see them run again.
No elimination ladder, just bring the old cars out and make a few passes, display, visit with the "real" guys you'd invite, and keep the history alive and correct.

With the expecption of just making passes. Racers want to race. Dial-in and maybe ladder the cars first round with a mix of ET ranges and vehicle makes.
I think this could be a fun deal and an affordable addition.

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/07/10 03:37 PM

Again, interest and popularity is not an issue. To be frank, NSS simply doesn't NEED those cars. Besides, at least here in the northeast, there is a Nostalgia Jr. Stock deal gaining momentum for those pieces.

As far as "bracket mentality"...it is the "we race for blood" and "it's a business" mentality that has spawned electronics and all the other gizmos that you need to win in brackets today. It has spawned the "professional" bracket racer that travels to events, all paying big bucks and costing big bucks to enter....and buy backs that have made the program run until next Tuesday to finish up. That is wonderful for those that want that..but NSS guys are different. Perhaps it's generational, but, even though very competitive the guys just want to race the old cars, put on a show, and have some fun. Intensity and the Rol-Aids can be left at work. It's hard to describe, but is pretty obvious once you've done both types of racing. But, the environment, as well as the cars, is very much nostalgic. The whole package.

Them's the rules. If you want an NSS car, build one within the rules and come out and have some fun. It works very well as is. If you don't like it, start your own program.
Posted By: moparbrown14

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/07/10 05:21 PM

wow great job steve, couldnt have said it better

Attached picture 6127614-Picture001.jpg
Posted By: mr_340

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/07/10 05:34 PM

Darn, I guess my idea of a "wide block" 318 (a.k.a., polysphere) in NSS is out! Too hard to find roller cams for it anyway. I guess I'll have to use my Hemi stuff instead. Sigh!

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/07/10 09:13 PM

Your going to have to stick to one of them old Hemis, Jim.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: N/SS...why no smallblocks? - 08/07/10 10:58 PM

nss old school

Attached picture 6128122-DSC01577.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums