Moparts

who's got the best 440 dampner?

Posted By: Deepockets

who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 02:47 PM

pro's con's on the best dampner for 528ci new build drag engine with jessel drive. some where i heard that some crankshaft company would not warrenty there crank is you used a certain brand. if thats so i dont think i'd go that way. please share your experiances
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 03:01 PM

Quote:

pro's con's on the best dampner for 528ci new build drag engine with jessel drive. some where i heard that some crankshaft company would not warrenty there crank is you used a certain brand. if thats so i dont think i'd go that way. please share your experiances

ATI hands down.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 03:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

ATI hands down.

Posted By: moparniac

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 04:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ATI hands down.

Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 04:31 PM

ATI X4
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 04:33 PM

Fluidamper............x10
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 04:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ATI hands down.

Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 05:07 PM

ATI on all my power and higher end builds, Powerbond SFI for everyday bracket and street/strip builds.

ATI is proven stuff that is available, very adaptable and flat out works.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 05:35 PM

I bought and used a Fluid Dampener on my 528, 4.375 stroke. I bought and used a ATI on my 512 (4.250 stroke) street motor and again when I switch cranks to increase the compression on the 4.3 stroke crank. I have now decided to only use ATI on all of my motors, steel or steel and aluminum ATI all the way
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 05:38 PM

ATI !
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 06:04 PM

wow! sounds like ati wins the poll. it looks as if thats the way im going, thanks
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 06:30 PM

ATI here as well if your still on the fence.
It's lighter then my fluidamper under the workbench.
Posted By: cbarracuda

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/01/10 10:00 PM

heres some good info from a crank company:

"2. DAMPERS WITH MOVING INERTIA WEIGHTS
A. Fluid, balls, springs, inertia rings with rubber O-Rings, etc. Can
you balance a wheel on your race car if the tires are flat???? How
can your rotating assembly be balanced if to quote one
manufacturer, “These units (Dampers) should not be on the crank
for balancing as the inertia weight may not be centered until the
engine starts.” NEWS FLASH!!!! Centrifugal force will always take
the inertia weight off center no matter what RPM. Your assembly
is never balanced. TELL TALE SIGN!!!! Metal transferred on nose
outside diameter and damper internal diameter . . . A fatigue crack
starts. SNAP!!!! The crank breaks"
Posted By: BradH

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 02:52 PM

What's the deal w/ having to use spacers or whatever to make sure the pulleys are all aligned when using an ATI damper? I've never been sure exactly what the deal is w/ that...
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 03:09 PM

In case it has not sunk in ATI!
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 03:24 PM

ATI, here aslo!

I was told by a well known engine builder that the ATI is the best damper because they are accurate throughout the rpm. Fluid Dampers are good for low RPM, Diesel engines accually. Some diesel mfgs run fluid dampers on their OEM engines. My machinist spun my old Fluid damper for my 360 build, and he told me it was wacky, would spinn up ok 1 time, then be way off the other time, then be only a little bit another time. I bought an OEM 340 damper for it, and it was nuts on. For my 408 build, I did a bunch of reserch, and the ATI is what I found was the most accurate.

Kasey
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 04:32 PM

Quote:

What's the deal w/ having to use spacers or whatever to make sure the pulleys are all aligned when using an ATI damper? I've never been sure exactly what the deal is w/ that...

I have an ATI on my Hemi, I found the damper was farther out than a stock damper, I had to fabricate a mount for my alternator anyways so it wasn't a problem, but the waterpump pulley had to be spaced out from the front of the engine... I have elephant ears and I think I used a 1/4" or 1/2" spacer inside the waterpump pulley, can't remember which....
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 04:37 PM

I have an ATI on my hemi and a Fluidampr on my wedge. No complaints about either one.
Posted By: Mopar_racer_99

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 04:54 PM

I have had fluidampr and ATI, only problem with ATI it needs to be rebuilt every other year if making under 900 hp or every year if over, Elastomer breaks down. That is realworld results and also what ATI will tell you. John
Posted By: RobR

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 05:17 PM

Innovators..!!

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 06:39 PM

Don't leave out the part about ATI having several BB Mopar units--duh..which one? Different hub lengths --some will clear timing cover, some won't clear certain ones etc big PIA and the big deal with ATI is that they send them out from the factory too small on the ID--with all the different brands of cranks and the small side on the ID you usually have to have a shop HONE the indside for decent fit--yea they need to be tight but not THAT tight--measure before you go to install--if someone says they fit easy they had a China crank with the snout on the small side of spec..also ATI's run with no pulleys NEED BOLTS in the pulley holes per ATI instructions or they can come apart---READ the instructions and CALL them as they have enough choices to get you in the weeds with a quickie order.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 06:46 PM

ATI makes a 2 ring and 3 ring the 2 ring fits on without a spacer, no problem.
Posted By: BradH

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 07:25 PM

Quote:

Don't leave out the part about ATI having several BB Mopar units--duh..which one?

There's part of my confusion w/ ATI...
Quote:

ATI makes a 2 ring and 3 ring the 2 ring fits on without a spacer...

... and there's the other part, especially after I heard that the 2-ring doesn't work as well and the only reason for the 2-ring was to make an ATI that fit w/ any other modifications.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 09:12 PM

I cast my vote ferrr ....an OEM stocker !!

That aftermarket stuff is uNnecessary ...uNless you are racing at a "sanctioned" event.

If there ...I vote furrr SFI Hughes. I got a brand-new one off eBay ferr 70 beans ... delivered to my door !
Posted By: DragtimeDodge

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 10:08 PM

I just published a piece about this topic entitled "Crankshaft Vibration Dampers 101" at The Dragtime News, along with other newly added items. Hope you like it.

Bob Beucler
DRAGTIME 1964 Dodge Polara
www.DragtimeNews.com
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 10:13 PM

ANY of you YOUNGSTERS remember what happened from coast-to-coast when NHRA first mandated a replacement part(the alum hub was the most popular item) for the OEM dampner?
Posted By: Old School

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 10:17 PM

i have fluid dampners in all of my motors.never any problems.i was told the engine sees the fluid dampner weight as alot lighter than it's static weight.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: who's got the best 440 dampner? - 08/02/10 11:14 PM

...Not a BB, but fwiw, an ATI went back on this P5 R4 358 before I sold it ~3 yrs ago.

Attached picture 6119012-Wallpaper004.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums