Moparts

That was fun....T&T night with the stick

Posted By: LAR_414

That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/30/10 12:38 PM

Had some fun at test and tune last night. Didn't break anything, and left there with room to improve.

Finally made some runs on the new stick shift combo, and I'm running my old M1 single plane intake for a change. I want to sort this out and then put the cross ram back on. Do a good comparison.

All in all, ran a 11.4 at 121mph with a 1.68 60'...pulling the wheels A LOT (for my car). I've pulled the wheels before (2 inches or so), but last night, it was probably 6+ inches of air.

Dropping the clutch at 5k, pulling the wheels, and powershifting to a 11sec 121mph time is F U N !!!!
Posted By: oldiron

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/30/10 01:07 PM

nothing quite like it
congrats - sounds like more to go
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/30/10 01:11 PM

Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/30/10 01:19 PM

sounds like a great time, makes me want to put my stick back in!!
Posted By: lowflyingdart

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/30/10 01:29 PM

Congrats on a fun and sucessful testing session. I'm jelous, it'll be next season before I get to test my stick car.

Attached picture 6112903-IMG_1906.jpg

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/30/10 07:27 PM

One thing that I do have to fix is the fact that my engine/trans seems to be moving Backwards....toward the rear of the car. It's been a problem lately, and I even repositioned my mounts (solid) forward about 3/8" a month ago. Well, last night the engine is back again, and the distrib is hitting the firewall and my Z bar is no longer positioned correctly.

Looked at my K member and the Solid mount is kinda twisted and has bent the attaching area of the K member.

What gives? Obviously I need to rebrace some stuff here.

But WHY would the engine WANT to move backwards? What force is in place that would cause this?

My pedal pressure is super light, so it's not from the clutch!

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/30/10 09:10 PM

The only thing I can think of is the mass of the engine/trans times the acceleration. (or might think inertia)
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/30/10 10:39 PM

Slap a limiter on it and forget about it Man I wish mine was done

What clutch setup are you running....I'm going through a learning curve....

Rickster
Posted By: mike67net

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/31/10 12:44 AM

Quote:

One thing that I do have to fix is the fact that my engine/trans seems to be moving Backwards....toward the rear of the car. It's been a problem lately, and I even repositioned my mounts (solid) forward about 3/8" a month ago. Well, last night the engine is back again, and the distrib is hitting the firewall and my Z bar is no longer positioned correctly.

Looked at my K member and the Solid mount is kinda twisted and has bent the attaching area of the K member.

But WHY would the engine WANT to move backwards? What force is in place that would cause this?

It's probably from when it stood up in the air, it slid backwards

Them sticks sure are fun ain't they?
Posted By: joedust451

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/31/10 01:04 AM

Quote:

Rickster

, If you think it pulls the wheels now, what it off a limiter .
Posted By: gearjammerdart

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/31/10 02:00 AM

Congrats on a great outing. It is alway good to come back home in one piece lol.

Donald

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/31/10 03:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

, If you think it pulls the wheels now, what it off a limiter .

I thinks we are talking about two different things here....by limiter I mean to limit engine movement

Rickster

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/31/10 03:21 AM

I'm running a McLeod RST Twin Disc clutch. Simply a fantastic street strip clutch. It's perfect for what I do.

I'll definately be designing a limiter for the engine movement, that's for sure. Just not sure why it did it. It leaves hard, but I wouldn't think hard enought to slide backwards....but maybe?

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 07/31/10 03:37 AM

Quote:

I'm running a McLeod RST Twin Disc clutch. Simply a fantastic street strip clutch. It's perfect for what I do.

I'll definitely be designing a limiter for the engine movement, that's for sure. Just not sure why it did it. It leaves hard, but I wouldn't think hard enough to slide backwards....but maybe?

Yeah, I was very surprised to hear it moved with the solid mounts, thats a little confusing...

First outing at the track in my sons truck (mild 360) the dizzy slammed the firewall (rubber mounts) and broke the rotor....epoxied it back together and it's still running...

I'm looking at going with the same setup on the clutch

Rickster
Posted By: 383man

383man - 07/31/10 04:40 AM

Good to hear you had a great time. I really used to like bracket racing my 340 four speed Dart back in the 80's. It even seemed back then that I was always one of the only stick cars around in a sea of auto cars. Ron

Re: 383man - 07/31/10 03:37 PM

I was the only stick car in the "slick" lanes. There were a bunch in the street tire lanes,...typical mustangs and camaros (late models). Really bad shifting going on over there!...not that I'm some expert.'

One cool car was a F.A.S.T. style 60's firebird on Polyglass tires. Low 12's with a stick. That was pretty impressive to watch.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: 383man - 07/31/10 04:16 PM

Hey Larry - good job slammin through the gears. Thats old school drag racing right there!
Posted By: toddd

Re: 383man - 07/31/10 04:16 PM

The first few times I went to the track, I have been the ONLY stick car there aswell.

It is amazing how many people come up to watch "THE" stick car run though isn't it!.
Posted By: 383man

383man - 07/31/10 05:12 PM

Quote:

I was the only stick car in the "slick" lanes. There were a bunch in the street tire lanes,...typical mustangs and camaros (late models). Really bad shifting going on over there!...not that I'm some expert.'

One cool car was a F.A.S.T. style 60's firebird on Polyglass tires. Low 12's with a stick. That was pretty impressive to watch.

Its funny to watch the stick cars at the track as I notice most of the stick drivers are not very good and when you see one really hitting the gears you can appreciate how good a driver they are. Ron

Re: 383man - 07/31/10 05:21 PM

I like seeing them try - many of the transmissions just don't shift under wot at higher rpms, but at least they're giving it their best shot
Posted By: 1OFNONE

Re: 383man - 08/01/10 01:45 PM

What track did you go to?
Any pics or vids?
Hands down, your Dart is my fav on the board and has been for years.

Attached picture 6116170-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
Posted By: ProSport

Re: 383man - 08/01/10 02:38 PM

Good job Larry, sounds like a good time!

Re: 383man - 08/01/10 02:43 PM

Thanks....I race it at Pittsburgh Raceway Park. They do a fantastic job keeping traction on T&T nights.

My dad took vid's, mostly to see what happens with the rear on launch. That has helped get the thing off the line. Slow motion replay is a big help.

I don't know how to get the things to post, but I'll have to work on it.
Posted By: mshred

Re: 383man - 08/01/10 02:50 PM

nice! its good to come back and not have anything broken and have had a good time. Im assuming your runnin an 833? 23 or 18 spline?

Re: 383man - 08/01/10 03:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks....I race it at Pittsburgh Raceway Park. They do a fantastic job keeping traction on T&T nights.

My dad took vid's, mostly to see what happens with the rear on launch. That has helped get the thing off the line. Slow motion replay is a big help.

I don't know how to get the things to post, but I'll have to work on it.

I saw one of your older threads on face plating and pro shifting and have to agree that for a street car that doesn't need to be shifted at 7-8000 rpm it really wouldn't be cost effective....I'm actually staying with a narrower tire on purpose to hopefully limit breakage

Sure would be awesome to see a couple of your video's

Rickster
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 08/01/10 09:56 PM

Quote:

I had the same problem when I went to a stick.
Even tho the 60ft. was the same the "hit" is more violent. What was OK with auto,nolonger worked.
Run a pair of struts from the bell to the K-member,or back to the trans/frame crossmember

Attached picture 6117108-QuakerWheelie.jpg

Re: That was fun....T&T night with the stick - 08/02/10 01:41 PM

I'm running a STOCK 23 spline E body trans. No mods inside.

I'm definatedly going to run a limiter, I'm figuring that out right now. Thanks for the idea on how you ran yours!
© 2024 Moparts Forums