Moparts

Spicer u-joint cross reference...

Posted By: Jeepmon

Spicer u-joint cross reference... - 07/28/10 03:52 AM

I'm in a bind here.. I need to get a replacement u-joint for my POS junk tomorrow as I am running out of time to wrench on it before this weekends race.

The U-joint I have is a Spicer and is labelled SPR 539 right in the center.. I cant seem to find it, either on-line or in our local parts stores.. I orginallly got it from a driveshaft shop that custom made the the driveshaft and sold me the yoke that it would work with..

If anyone can cross reference this part number, I sure would appreciate it ..

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: Spicer u-joint cross reference... - 07/28/10 04:16 AM

I search google and found this (the reason you can't cross this number is because its a casting number, not actually a part number. the best thing to do if you can't find any other numbers on it is to take one out if you haven't already and take it to your local parts store and match it up to find the right one. they will help you measure the cap size and all. also if you're replacing the front ones too take a sample because they might be different size than the rear. hope this helps) Hope this helps....Matt
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Spicer u-joint cross reference... - 07/28/10 04:46 AM

take it into a Napa store. Any parts counter guy worth a dang can find it. IIRC the std stock type deal is 1.078 cap and 2.12 across, but dont quote me on it. And yes the number on the spicer is a casting number. Why not go back to where the shaft was built? Might be a conversion joint?!?

Re: Spicer u-joint cross reference... - 07/28/10 05:44 AM

I stopped by two different part stores today trying to match up the u-joint... without any luck. So far we've bought two different ones only to have them not be the right ones..

This could very well be a conversion joint.. The driveshaft shop that I bought it from either moved without a forwarding address or they went out of biz... But oh well.. tomorrow is another day and we'll stop at a couple more places..

Thanks for your help!!
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Spicer u-joint cross reference... - 07/28/10 01:43 PM

Do a search on a: Precision 347 u-joint. Summite carries this part and I am not sure its what you need but I have had this empty box laying around for the last 30 years.

Found this on another site. If the Precision 347 looks like the right u-joint.

TRW part #20226 or
CR UJ347,
Mancini 5-527X
Auto zone 2-0527
Napa NUJ240-0369
Neapco 2-0527
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Spicer u-joint cross reference... - 07/28/10 02:09 PM

You can measure it yourself and look at Summit Racing. They carry plenty of universals. Search under Spicer u joint and you will find them. Most all of them list the dimensions and you might be able to cross the part number to pick one up local. Or heck drive top Reno
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Spicer u-joint cross reference... - 07/28/10 02:16 PM

I can't believe you couldn't find a match. NAPA has a book 2" thick to look through. I did that years ago when I needed to mix and match a shaft and yoke, ended up with a ford bronco joint that had 2 different cross lengths. Try again, maybe ask for a old book or just for you to look in their counter book, so it doesn't take up their time. Auto Zone , Advanced etc. only have computers and very limited knowledge counter people. Sorry but true. Oh , by the way you might try that Bronco joint.

Re: Spicer u-joint cross reference... - 07/28/10 02:51 PM

Like I said above, we stopped in at two local parts stores, neither of them were Napa as Napa closed our local store and the next closest was 15 miles away..

Today I have more freedom at work and will be stopping at Napa, other stores, driveshaft/rear end places.. shoot I can even drive up to Reno if need be.. lol

We'll get her figured out.. Thanks again for everyones help...
© 2024 Moparts Forums