Moparts

SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE!

Posted By: blown360

SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/19/10 10:27 PM

Hey allim sure im not the first to ask this but how do you install these evil things? This is the first time ive ever used these and Im struggling like mad to install one let alone an engines worth. My pistons have double spirolox each side and its driving me mad (and cutting my fingers)! Please shed some light on these pesky little critters and if anyone can demonstrate somehow it'd be great! Even better pop on over and show me! Please help people before I go crazy!
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/19/10 10:52 PM

My flight get's in in about an hour.. LOL J/K. It helps to stretch them out a little like a spring, then get one end in and walk them around with your thumb, finger or a small screwdriver. IHTHs
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/19/10 11:09 PM

Quote:

My flight get's in in about an hour.. LOL J/K. It helps to stretch them out a little like a spring, then get one end in and walk them around with your thumb, finger or a small screwdriver. IHTHs

Yep... stretch them out some(you'll get the hang of
how much) then use a pointed item to walk them in in
a circle... it gets pretty easy
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/19/10 11:13 PM

Yes this has been asked before, and it takes technique. So don't feel bad on your first attempt. Spend some time with the search feature on this board for older posts. Hopefully somebody can give better "instructions". This is what I can add.

1) Stretch it out so when you let go, it is about 1/2" wide (sprung).
2) Push one end into the groove, and don't let the other end get in the hole until the very end. About 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn can be in the hole at one time.
3) Work around and push it in the groove a little bit around at a time in the circular direction.

It will go in the groove without excessive pressure if you are doing it correctly. So don't force it.

From the Ross Piston Instructions (web):
Quote:

Spiro Lox installation may be facilitated by grasping each end of the lox and pulling the ends apart a MODERATE (approximately ˝”) amount. This will cause the lox to resemble a small coil spring. The lox can then be “spiraled” into place almost as if you were screwing them into the groove. Be sure that all lox are properly seated and that they exert radial pressure against the lox groove. You should not be able to spin the lox by hand after they are installed. Most Ross Racing Pistons come with double lox (four lox total per piston – two at each end of the pin). Be sure that the correct number of lox
are installed in each piston.

Posted By: RyanJ

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/19/10 11:19 PM

Spirolox are piece of cake compared to round wire locks, I enjoy the nasty emails I get form customers who I sell pistons to that have wire locks in them & they have never installed them before LOL.

If you are having trouble installing them I'm just guessing you either are trying to install them without stretching them out or are not stretching them out (unwinding them) enough... I start the first end in the groove around 12 'O clock position & work the lock downwards counterclockwise & spiral it into the groove. Normally I can get them in with my fingers, but I have small hands, you may need to use a small flat blade screwdriver to assist spiraling the lock into the groove.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/19/10 11:36 PM

Quote:

Spirolox are piece of cake compared to round wire locks,

After doing this stuff for years, your hands become like "tools". You can explain it to someone till your blue in the face, but they don't get it.

Then again, while my hands are well equipped for various shop tasks, I cannot use this new touch-screen phone. It's maddening, but who do they make these phones for anyway? I can't press the screen without hitting two buttons at the same time.

MB
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/19/10 11:44 PM

Quote:

I can't press the screen without hitting two buttons at the same time.

MB

Sounds like you use a pointed instrument to fit those locks.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/20/10 01:32 AM

Also, do yourself a BIG favor and count the spiro lox carefully. I got down to the last piston and had 5 lox left. After checking and rechecking and checking again, I realized I got one too many.
You'll get the hang of it after about 7 pistons.
Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/20/10 01:46 AM

Quote:

Also, do yourself a BIG favor and count the spiro lox carefully. I got down to the last piston and had 5 lox left. After checking and rechecking and checking again, I realized I got one too many.
You'll get the hang of it after about 7 pistons.
Brian Dunnigan

You should have saved that one for our

"DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" thread
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/20/10 04:39 AM

If you think they are fun putting in just wait till you have to take them out! Make sure you DBBL check your rod and piston are assembled correctly before putting the locks in.
Posted By: thecarfarmer

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/20/10 04:54 AM

And, I like to put 'em in so that the "rounded" side is to the inside.

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/20/10 11:40 AM

Aha I was trying to feed them in in a spiral motion and all I seemed to do was get them in a quarter ture then cut my finger a little bit at a time until they eventually hit bone ha ha! Ill be back on it tonight with a positive mental attitude , bandaged fingers and all the fresh advice I now have! Thanks everybody for helping me out yet again!
Posted By: chris3

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/20/10 12:31 PM

I don't want to steal someone's thread but I have double trouble. First how do you get these locks out of Ross Pistons. Once I have all of them out then I have to install the new pistons. Are these locks re-useable.

I guess everyone has figured out I am too old for all of this modern technology.
Posted By: BradH

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/20/10 03:04 PM

Quote:

Spirolox are piece of cake compared to round wire locks...

Are the wire locks you refer to like the ones that motorcycle pistons have used for decades?

The PITA w/ those, as I recall, was when the locks were the style without the little tang that you could grasp w/ needle-nose pliers when twisting them in. It depended on the piston supplier as to which style of lock was provided.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/20/10 03:34 PM

Quote:

I don't want to steal someone's thread but I have double trouble. First how do you get these locks out of Ross Pistons. Once I have all of them out then I have to install the new pistons. Are these locks re-useable.

I guess everyone has figured out I am too old for all of this modern technology.

They are re-usable but if your changing pistons you
would need to make sure the new pistons are set up
for that type of lock (diameter and if for double
locks or not) ask the piston manufacturer
EDIT
For me I would just order new locks and keep the
old ones with the same pistons

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/21/10 12:59 PM

Thanks a lot everyone! Fitted them all last night and its a doddle now I know how! The first couple were tricky but I soon got to grips with them following all the sound advice you all gave me! Once again cheers everyone
Posted By: chris3

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/21/10 02:05 PM

Sound like if I follow the instructions I should be able to put the new ones in. No advise on how to get the old ones out? They are doubles in Ross Pistons.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/21/10 02:11 PM

Quote:

Sound like if I follow the instructions I should be able to put the new ones in. No advise on how to get the old ones out? They are doubles in Ross Pistons.

I use a small "jewelers" screwdriver. Once you get the end started out of there, then you can just wind them out.

MB

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 07/22/10 11:35 AM

I just put the tip of my electrical screwdriver under the tip of the lock and eased it up and out of the groove then simply ran it around under the ring until it was out. This was also on a double lock setup.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 02/21/11 01:01 PM

Quote:

If you think they are fun putting in just wait till you have to take them out!

Made this vid last night... this is my buddy and he says he is the fastest so I put him under the gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THHkJPhV_qw
Posted By: mafo

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 02/21/11 01:12 PM

next time I have to remove those f******,I ll just ship them to your buddy
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 02/21/11 01:45 PM

When I install them I use the heel of a Snap On 90 degree pick. Put the end in and roll the rest right around with the round edge of the pick.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 02/21/11 03:32 PM

Doubles are easier than the longer singles. I have had them hold the last spiral out. They will come out if the entire lock is not in the groove. I have used a 1/2" drive socket that fits inside the spirals bore. Then tap it lightly to push the last part of the lock into the groove. Works great on the first side of the piston. You have to grind the socket short to use it on the the opposite side.

I was told for years they didn't work. They do. They is the tool from Precision Products. I have a removal and an installer tool. Works great. About $100 for the combo. Worth every penny.

Leon
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: SPIROLOX HELP ME PLEASE! - 02/21/11 04:18 PM

They don't call them bleeders for nothing!
© 2024 Moparts Forums