Moparts

Death in Seattle - NHRA

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 12:19 AM

Top Alcohol Dragster driver Mark Niver Died in a Crash today @ Pacific Raceways. RIP, Mark. This is more bad news that we do not need. Prayers for the Niver family.
http://www.nhra.com/story/2010/7/11/accident-claims-life-of-alcohol-dragster-competitor-in-seattle/
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 12:24 AM

I watched that run on espn3, that sucks...
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 12:58 AM

that is bad news forsure.prayers to the family!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 01:34 AM

Sorry to hear that
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 01:36 AM

Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 01:45 AM

Rick Blake
Posted By: Aspen7695

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 01:52 AM

Mark was a great guy. He was one of he nicest racers I ever met. I can't believe this happened. His stepdaughter and my wife are very good friends. He and his family are are one of the reasons I started running stock eliminator this year.

His pit crew is made up of family members and I can't imagine what they are going through.

RIP Mark

Raul
Posted By: MoparPitBull

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 02:01 AM

Posted By: BobR

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 02:30 AM

When you tighten down the harness straps you just never know. Our outlaw car goes 225 and my good friend drives it. It frightens me knowing how close even the good runs come to disaster.

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 02:31 AM

RIP MARK.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 02:42 AM

Seeing it in person it honestly didn't look that bad. But looks can be deceiving, The chassis broke when it hit the catch net. Hopefully some good comes of this, safety improvements or whatever it takes.

RIP Mark Niver
Posted By: cjfordman

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 03:42 AM

His chutes came off the car when he pulled them.Seems like a bad mistake was made.
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 06:09 AM

thta crash was weird, it didnt look like he hit that hard, RIP
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 06:10 AM

RIP
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 06:21 AM

chasis broke and impaled him on steel tubing.
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 06:52 AM

Quote:

chasis broke and impaled him on steel tubing.

that's what I was afraid of... :/ very very sad. RIP Mark, you will be missed.
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 11:56 AM

Very sad. Our thoughts and prayers are with family and friends.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 03:01 PM

Very sad indeed...Thoughts go out to the family....

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 05:19 PM

Quote:

His chutes came off the car when he pulled them.Seems like a bad mistake was made.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe a pin was left off the strap mounting point or the bracket broke.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 05:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmwSrb1oe04
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 06:02 PM

Any idea how fast he was going when he got into the net?
Posted By: RoadRnnr69

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 06:08 PM

What a tragedy!!! Too many deaths in the last couple of years!!
They shortened the track to slow the cars down and they still have safety issues. Was teh cute an item on a checklist? Was the car built correctly? After all, they say he built all of his own cars
NHRA in general, they need to review the tech inspection procedures of the cars, the tracks themselves, the speed rating of tires, chassis fabrication quality, etc...
The rules are there but as is in any competive sport, people will cut corners to save money or weight or whatever and compromise safety.
I'm not saying that is what happened here but an overall opinion of what I have personally witnessed as inconsistent tech inspections and people knowingly violating safety rules.

Prayers to his family and friends for their loss
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 06:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I was thinking. Maybe a pin was left off the strap mounting point or the bracket broke.

OMG I think your right. I've raced Mark before. RIP
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 06:56 PM

Quote:

What a tragedy!!! Too many deaths in the last couple of years!!
They shortened the track to slow the cars down and they still have safety issues. Was teh cute an item on a checklist? Was the car built correctly? After all, they say he built all of his own cars
NHRA in general, they need to review the tech inspection procedures of the cars, the tracks themselves, the speed rating of tires, chassis fabrication quality, etc...
The rules are there but as is in any competive sport, people will cut corners to save money or weight or whatever and compromise safety.
I'm not saying that is what happened here but an overall opinion of what I have personally witnessed as inconsistent tech inspections and people knowingly violating safety rules.

Prayers to his family and friends for their loss

I'm not an NHRA butt boy, but this is a dangerous sport, and unfortunately competitors will be hurt and even die. Isn't the element of danger that makes the sport fun? This guy had been building his cars for a long time, and it was unfortunate that Paul (dipstick) Page had to bring question into whether or not he Mike knew how to build them, but tech inspection is very thourough at national events. And I just think it was one of those freak things that happened. I feel bad for his family, but that's the risk some of us take. It would be nice if NHRA would do more than be that giant sucking sound coming from the competitors, but then again, we keep coming to the events. JMO!
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 07:07 PM

that's a real shame and it sure does look like whatever attaching point for the chutes wasn't made up, like as mentioned a pin was left out or something. another point which surprises me a bit is that there's no give in those nets. we used to use elastic straps for pulling out stuck 4X4s and something similar would be much better suited for that application. i wonder if they're just using cables or similar. without any give or absorption i don't think that net is a great idea.

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 07:16 PM

also someone correct me if i'm wrong but from that clip it looks as though whoever is responsible for the telecast (nhra, espn?) chose to replay the crash which personally i find in rather poor taste
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 08:17 PM

sad,

I saw it and thought there was something wrong with the sand, he hit it dead center and it looked like he skimmed over the top of it instead of digging in.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 08:26 PM

I don't understand why NHRA hasn't done anything to safely stop cars that have a brake for chute failure. It could easily be done if they cared to spend the money. I don't think NASCAR has had a single fatality since the safety changes after Earnharts death. Soft walls were the main change. My car only runs a little over 130 mph but I don't like the look of the cement barriers at the end of the track. They are only there to stop the cars from leaving the property not to preserve the drivers life in the process.

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 09:21 PM

Anyone questioning whether the car was built properly or not, Paul Page included, need to put their own foot in their mouth. Contrary to the belief of those that can't fabricate, your name doesn't have to be Hadman to be able to build a safe and competitive car. I don't know Mark, but I have no doubt he was fully capable. It's entirely possible a mistake was made in the attachment of the chutes between rounds, but that's nothing more than guessing at this point. Sounds to me like he was a real racers racer, and had the true hot rodder spirit, unlike most nowadays who write a check.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 10:32 PM

Mark Niver knew how to build a race car and did it for several years. Sometimes I'm not sure who the dummy is, Paul Page for saying the things he does, or the people that hired him and told him to say it. There are nights the wife and I sit in the TV room and make bets how long it will take him to screw up. It doesn't take long.

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 10:38 PM

Quote:

Anyone questioning whether the car was built properly or not, Paul Page included, need to put their own foot in their mouth. Contrary to the belief of those that can't fabricate, your name doesn't have to be Hadman to be able to build a safe and competitive car. I don't know Mark, but I have no doubt he was fully capable. It's entirely possible a mistake was made in the attachment of the chutes between rounds, but that's nothing more than guessing at this point. Sounds to me like he was a real racers racer, and had the true hot rodder spirit, unlike most nowadays who write a check.

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 10:56 PM

it really is sad i always have a lot more respect for people like that actually build the cars they race. there's a lot of difference between writing a check and spending hours on end fabbing, welding and building a car. imho you get a lot more personal satisfaction from the whole thing as well. from the "stands" it sure looks like the chutes weren't anchored. not like anything failed but just weren't anchored to begin with. not being familiar with the between rounds activity on a car like that is there any reason the chute anchoring point would have been disconnected as part of a standard procedure?
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 11:08 PM

Quote:

it really is sad i always have a lot more respect for people like that actually build the cars they race. there's a lot of difference between writing a check and spending hours on end fabbing, welding and building a car. imho you get a lot more personal satisfaction from the whole thing as well. from the "stands" it sure looks like the chutes weren't anchored. not like anything failed but just weren't anchored to begin with. not being familiar with the between rounds activity on a car like that is there any reason the chute anchoring point would have been disconnected as part of a standard procedure?

A lot of chutes are reloaded on stands rather than on the car.....gets things out of the way..then they re-install them back on the car.Not sure if his set up was like that or not.

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/12/10 11:29 PM

Quote:

not being familiar with the between rounds activity on a car like that is there any reason the chute anchoring point would have been disconnected as part of a standard procedure?

Like what was mentioned, but also sometimes they are removed for wheelie bar installation after it comes down off the pro jacks in the pits.

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/13/10 01:43 AM

yea i figured there was a good chance they pulled them to service them and/or the car, probably as simple as a pin left out
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/13/10 02:02 AM

Looks like NHRA pulled the video pretty quickly, but when I saw the tape, it appeared to me that the first net barrier was strung mighty tight and drove the nose of the car in to the sand. I always thought that the first barrier had more give to it. I just wonder if the end result would have happened to any top fuel car that ran in to it.
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/14/10 02:41 PM

I look directly at NHRA for this. The chutes came off the car-- it happens. The driver was able to slow the car down, drove across the sand and right into the center of the net, exactly as he should have.

Ever drive a vehicle on a sandy beach or trail? When you let off the gas, you slow way down, fast. That sand trap looked more like concrete.... maybe it was just how it looked on tv.

I also wonder about the catch net. They had 2. Seems like the first net should have a lot more give than that one did. To me it looked like it wasn't much different than putting a wall there.

Seems like over the last couple years there have been enough top end incidents that NHRA should have a better system in place.
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/14/10 03:20 PM

Quote:

Mark Niver knew how to build a race car and did it for several years. Sometimes I'm not sure who the dummy is, Paul Page for saying the things he does, or the people that hired him and told him to say it. There are nights the wife and I sit in the TV room and make bets how long it will take him to screw up. It doesn't take long.

For Page to say anything about the construction of the car was extremely poor judgement and bad taste.
That car was certed and inspected like everything else and allowed to run.
his comment was insulting and he should be reprimanded for it.
Dunn should refuse to work with him.
He should stick with commentating for hot dog eating contests like he did in NY.
At least he sounds like he has a mouthfull.
Godspeed Mr. Niver.
Sounds like he was another epitome of sportsman racers.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/14/10 04:26 PM

Quote:

look directly at NHRA for this. The chutes came off the car-- it happens. The driver was able to slow the car down, drove across the sand and right into the center of the net, exactly as he should have.

I usually do not get into these debates because there is so much conjecture and may haves but in this case I agree 100%. Mark did all he could do and relied on the safty measures put in place, for exactly this kind of situation, and they failed him. As with all these cases, and I have seen way too many in my 30 years of racing, there will be a new bar added, or a foot of sand added, or a material change in the netting or whatever is done until the next unfortunate incident happens. I know you can not plan for every contingent but a realitively simple senario like this should have had different results than a loss of a life.
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/14/10 06:29 PM

I don't care for NASCAR but they value the life of their drivers more than the NHRA. There are so many things today that could have saved this drivers life but NHRA doesn't even talk about these type of safety measures.
What about soft water filled bariers like they used in the pit enty to the NASCAR pits? I've seen guys hit these bariers head on and don't even get hurt. The water disperses all of the energy.
What about the deceleration system they use on aircraft carriers for how many years now? Something similar attached to a net wouldn't be to expensive.
How much is a mans life worth?
But I will say this. At the track where I race I've only ever seen concrete barriers. I know the risk but I still choose to race there. If I ever get killed racing do to a brake failure I have no one to blame but myself.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/14/10 06:49 PM

I heard on another web site the shorten the shut down area by almost half to put in a Cart track...Is this true...They said it just went in a month or so ago?
Can anyone confirm this??

Re: Death in Seattle - NHRA - 07/14/10 09:20 PM

Quote:

I heard on another web site the shorten the shut down area by almost half to put in a Cart track...Is this true...They said it just went in a month or so ago?
Can anyone confirm this??

Not true. The cart track is Easily 250 yards North, through a fence, off to the side of the track. The shutdown was the same length as always. I race there on a weekly basis.
© 2024 Moparts Forums