Moparts

Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda.

Posted By: PUNK

Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 02:34 AM

We have been checking the prices to get rid of the 8 3/4 in the Cuda when we swap the new engine into the Cuda. The current 8 3/4 just has a Richmond spool and gears and budget Moser axles. The Dana we are looking at is a Strange S60 with 35 spline axles, richmond spool and gears with a standard chrome cover. Everyone I talk to is saying.."The only people that run a Dana are people that HAVE to run a Dana." Well, the 9 inch option seems to be MUCH more costly. I could care less about the ease of swapping third members. We have NEVER broken at the track and would like to keep it that way. Lets hear some opinions and the +/- of Dana vs. 9 inch.

Attached picture 6078930-May102009BryanatAutoClubspeedway5-09020.JPG
Posted By: 572B1

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 02:46 AM

Quote:

We have been checking the prices to get rid of the 8 3/4 in the Cuda when we swap the new engine into the Cuda. The current 8 3/4 just has a Richmond spool and gears and budget Moser axles. The Dana we are looking at is a Strange S60 with 35 spline axles, richmond spool and gears with a standard chrome cover. Everyone I talk to is saying.."The only people that run a Dana are people that HAVE to run a Dana." Well, the 9 inch option seems to be MUCH more costly. I could care less about the ease of swapping third members. We have NEVER broken at the track and would like to keep it that way. Lets hear some opinions and the +/- of Dana vs. 9 inch.

I like the Dana, they came out in mopars and are reasonably priced, very strong, brakes are interchangable and just look bad from behind.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 02:46 AM

Don't listen to them. put a dana in it and forget about it..
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 02:49 AM

...."they look BAD from behind."

Attached picture 6078949-freddy\'stoy013.jpg
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:03 AM

Dana = no worries.Install it and forget it.
Posted By: GregCon

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:12 AM

Three good reasons to use a Dana:

A Dana is lighter than people think it is.

A Dana has a higher pinion center than a 9"; the 9" has one of the lowest pinion centers of all. When it comes to pinion center, lower is worse.

God uses a Dana.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:15 AM

The only thing I don't like about the dana 60 is the cost to rebuild the posi. Seems I killed it every year, but might have been the crappy SS springs. Either way, I put a spool in it, and no more rebuilds needed. If your not going to put a spool in it, I would run the 9". If your its a spool application only, then which ever is cheaper, or if the dana's width gets in the way of mounting wheelie bars or something like mine nearly did, it was real close....

Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:15 AM

The Dana 60 is super beefy right out of the box. It doesn't need beefing up like the Ford 9" does. I'm sure the stamped sheet metal housing of the 9" is lighter, but the extra weight of the Dana doesn't appear to hurt performance. If anything, the extra weight right on the back tires might help traction a little bit.
Posted By: enelson

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:17 AM

I got a 3.91 in my dart and need a dana, and have yet to change to a smaller 3rd to go "drive on the street"

Granted it's not a 4/5.x gear but I have 26" tires so it is steep with my converter still....
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:25 AM

I really like the Dana. The 8 3/4 has kind of one advantage which is the ease of the swap. But I say Kind of cause I have found it not really a problem, cause I havent ever broke one so no need to worry about it. (knocking wood). So its not that big of a deal, unless one likes to experiment with gear swaps etc.
I bet the last two Dana's I have built didnt cost me $1300-$1400 for both combined.
I just used a Truck Dana, used old 8 3/4 ends so I didnt buy any new ones either. Picked up a ring and pinion, and spool from a swap meet for $175. I did order new Strange 35 spline lightened axles which fit my narrowed rear-end specs. Even took a stock cover, cleaned it up a little and painted it with some very Nice paint Aluminum Blast. Picked up some new GM metric calipers for a mid 80's S-10 and a set of Jeep rotors and made me some brackets for a very effective and cheap rear disc brake setup.

Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:31 AM

With Mark Williams 40 spline gun-drilled axles, aluminum spool and Aerospace
disc brakes, mine weighs 15 lbs. less than my 8 3/4" did with 11" x 3" drums.
I forget what the T/A cover weighs but, I think like 15 lbs.

Mine came out of a truck with 5/16" wall axle tubes.

Attached picture 6079011-DSCN2463.JPG
Posted By: go green

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:57 AM

9" and 9.5 , is the rear end of choice for 98% of pro stock ,promod ,outlaw 10.5 and top sportsman cars .

You guys must know something that they don't.

Attached picture 6079038-rearshot.jpg

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:01 AM

Quote:

God uses a Dana.

Thats funny right there. OK, you convinced me. Im going DANA 60. LOL!
I know of 2 people personally that switched to a DANA from a 8 3/4 and lost NOTHING in performance. Which coincides with much of what Ive read. I need to get ahold of DR. Diff and get a price and ask him some questions about options.

Attached picture 6079045-May102009BryanatAutoClubspeedway5-09020.JPG

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:09 AM

Quote:

9" and 9.5 , is the rear end of choice for 98% of pro stock ,promod ,outlaw 10.5 and top sportsman cars .

I completely understand this. If I was building a car like you have listed I would definitely go that route, but for a cost effective Street/Strip application on a budget, Im hoping the Dana would be the choice. My friend Rons Valiant has a Mark Williams 9" and it is LITE to say the least, but a little too pricey for us. The new engine should have a little more than 650hp and we dont need every .001 of a sec. The car isnt getting completely caged, so we need to keep it 10.0 and slower. We just want it to go 10.0 at a high elevation, hot temp track and 10.0s with the power turned down at a good track.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:15 AM

Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this.....

Mine was still cheaper.
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:20 AM

Got a dana in my duster. I never worry about breaking!!
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:35 AM

Do the Dana!!!
Posted By: 72demon416

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:52 AM

You do what YOU KNOW is right- anybody giving you a hard time about wanting to use the dana should go pound sand.
I'm in the same boat as you with my new mill coming and having similar performance expectations- I can guarantee you there will be a dana in there as soon as the money tree blooms again.
Posted By: G_bob

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 05:34 AM

DAAAANA...DAAAANA...DAAAANA...DAAAANA...DAAAANA...

Under the coronet...

Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 05:36 AM

Quote:

for those classes yes, but a low to mid nine sec car, id go dana, that MW rearend is at least 4-5 grand mabey more
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 06:16 AM

Quote:

...."they look BAD from behind."

Put the 2X4s down and step away from the car. lol

If I was buying from stratch for racing, the 9" is the way to go.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 06:18 AM

Quote:

Three good reasons to use a Dana:

A Dana is lighter than people think it is.

A Dana has a higher pinion center than a 9"; the 9" has one of the lowest pinion centers of all. When it comes to pinion center, lower is worse.

God uses a Dana.

BS
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 07:13 AM

I would use the S60, the prices on them are darn good. I was pricing out new spool, gear and axles for my 8-3/4, and it was about the same cost as just getting an entire new S60 assembly.

I almost never change gears, so the interchangable pumpkins is no big deal for me.
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 11:18 AM

Hey I'd love a laid out pro stock 9" from Mark Williams too.
Just dont have the champagne budget.
Hands down the Dana wins it PERIOD.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 11:32 AM

I ordered my Dana directly from Strange, very good customer service . IIRC it was less than $1950 shipped.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 11:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

God uses a Dana.

. LOL!
I know of 2 people personally that switched to a DANA from a 8 3/4 and lost NOTHING in performance.

You don't know me personally,but we went from 8.75's to Dana's in both cars and both cars ran the same.So add 2 more cars to the list.The Dana in our car is a Direct Connection deal that was installed in 1982,still works with no problems.
Some say 9"...but in reality,how many really swap gears at the track?? Dana is peace of mind.Change the gear lube once a year and don't worry about the rear end ever.
Posted By: bp27

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 12:14 PM

Dollar for doller the dana wins.

Attached picture 6079265-dusterdana1.jpg
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 12:17 PM

Quote:

thats true up to about 800hp+ after that the aftermarket 9-9.5s take over. SS/AH doesn't run dana's any more for a reason.
Posted By: dc426

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 12:26 PM

Who really cares what others say? Sounds like they are jealous. Go with the Dana. Personally, I would find a truck dana and go from there. You should be able to build one a lot cheaper than an S60 or Moser. And like said before with the money you save, you could pop for lightened axles, spool and ring gear and be ahead of the game
DC

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 12:37 PM

OK, Challenger, since you are man of few words, just what is BS about what I wrote?

I gave facts; you can't just say "BS".
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 12:40 PM

Quote:

thats true up to about 800hp+ after that the aftermarket 9-9.5s take over. SS/AH doesn't run dana's any more for a reason.

.... has this been proven the dana is only good to 800HP ... can you please post the test results

Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 12:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

God uses a Dana.

Thats funny right there. OK, you convinced me. Im going DANA 60. LOL!
I know of 2 people personally that switched to a DANA from a 8 3/4 and lost NOTHING in performance. Which coincides with much of what Ive read. I need to get ahold of DR. Diff and get a price and ask him some questions about options.

We lost nothing switching from a 8.75 to a Dana 60.

Good Luck,
Bill

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 12:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

.... has this been proven the dana is only good to 800HP ... can you please post the test results

read it again, says 800hp+. just ask some of the SS/AH guys. they were replacing ring and pinions on regular basis. theres a lot of other factors also. how many so called 800hp cars you see running 10s?

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 12:44 PM

my dana was also lighter than the 8 3/4 I took out..... 8 3/4 + 11x3 drums + suregrip VS. dana with spool and discs and 1" shorter = dana was lighter

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 12:45 PM

Quote:

my dana was also lighter than the 8 3/4 I took out..... 8 3/4 + 11x3 drums + suregrip VS. dana with spool and discs and 1" shorter = dana was lighter

with the same brakes? I bet not

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 12:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

read it again, says 800hp+. just ask some of the SS/AH guys. they were replacing ring and pinions on regular basis. theres a lot of other factors also. how many so called 800hp cars you see running 10s?

tony you seem like a real nice guy but I get tired of people saying "they said" with no proof of anything! And is this the same guy thats busting on Wild Bill for his 780HP car with a 8 3/4 in it that runs 10.2x? just saying! and when I was at Ray Bartons about last august he said the only reason he runs the 9" is cause of gear selection... call him in ask

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 12:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

with the same brakes? I bet not

I posted I switched to discs from the 11*3 drums and cut the housing 1" shorter and sure grip to spool

and yes I weighed it..
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 01:21 PM

Friend has blown BB chevy, 1100 hp. and 3200lbs. runs 8's, door wars @ Norwalk.
No Dana problems there.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 01:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

tony you seem like a real nice guy but I get tired of people saying "they said" with no proof of anything! And is this the same guy thats busting on Wild Bill for his 780HP car with a 8 3/4 in it that runs 10.2x? just saying! and when I was at Ray Bartons about last august he said the only reason he runs the 9" is cause of gear selection... call him in ask

well how are you supposed to record what people tell you? so I guess you can believe what you want. the dana is a great rear for the money but it has it's limits. the aftermarket 9-9.5s are race pieces not some truck rear. as you said better selection on everything gears etc.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 01:22 PM

and just switching from drum to disc probably saved 40lbs or so.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 01:26 PM

Quote:

That rear assembly costs how much? And, is it really a Ford 9"? There's probably not one stock Ford part in that thing anymore. It does win top prize in the sexy department, tho.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 01:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That rear assembly costs how much? And, is it really a Ford 9"? There's probably not one stock Ford part in that thing anymore.

well no kidding, was all the other race parts you bought all mopar? they are aftermarket race parts plain and simple. why didn't you use all oem parts?

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 01:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That rear assembly costs how much? And, is it really a Ford 9"? There's probably not one stock Ford part in that thing anymore.

well no kidding, was all the other race parts you bought all mopar? they are aftermarket race parts plain and simple. why didn't you use all oem parts?

The point I was making was, he was comparing a 40 year old factory rear to a modern, all-out, clean sheet design. Hardly a fair comparison. It's like comparing a '71 dodge Dart to a Ferrari Enzo. Let's compare apples to apples, and compare the strength of the factory Dana to a factory 9". Dana wins hands down.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 01:44 PM

8 3/4 all the way ... just build a lighter car

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 01:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The point I was making was, he was comparing a 40 year old factory rear to a modern, all-out, clean sheet design. Hardly a fair comparison. It's like comparing a '71 dodge Dart to a Ferrari Enzo. Let's compare apples to apples, and compare the strength of the factory Dana to a factory 9". Dana wins hands down.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 02:06 PM

[quote It's like comparing a '71 dodge Dart to a Ferrari Enzo.

Ill race the enzo in the 1/4 all day long

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 02:15 PM

Quote:

Front yes, rear NO WAY! 10 LBS maybe!

This Blown alcohol hemi Pro Mod car also runs a DANA without any problems

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 02:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This Blown alcohol hemi Pro Mod car also runs a DANA without any problems

did you ask him how many passes before he changes gears? and do you have proof? ole sledge wants recorded proof

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 02:23 PM

Quote:

the dana is a great rear for the money but it has it's limits. the aftermarket 9-9.5s are race pieces not some truck rear. as you said better selection on everything gears etc.

9" is a pure race rear end nowadays, there's many advantages. That's why they cost more, look under any serious race car and you'll see 9" rear ends.

I don't have to justify anything I say, greg.

If your gonna race a 600 hp car, then you don't need a serious race rear end then. How's that?

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 02:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the dana is a great rear for the money but it has it's limits. the aftermarket 9-9.5s are race pieces not some truck rear. as you said better selection on everything gears etc.

9" is a pure race rear end nowadays, there's many advantages. That's why they cost more, look under ant serious race car and you'll see 9" rear ends.

I don't have to justifie anything I say, greg.

If your gonna race a 600 hp car, then you don't need a serious race rear end then. How's that?

thats the gospel
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:07 PM

It's a 10.0 car. Put a Dana in it and be done.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:16 PM

Quote:

It's a 10.0 car. Put a Dana in it and be done.

or even a 9 sec car.
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The AH cars run the 9 inch because of gear selection. Easier to make a gear change and it is lighter and it takes slightly less hp to opperate.

The s60 is plenty strong and looks much cooler under a mopar.
I run an s60 with the aluminum rear cover in my cuda. A ford 9 inch would kill the look of the car.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The AH cars run the 9 inch because of gear selection. Easier to make a gear change and it is lighter and it takes slightly less hp to opperate.

The s60 is plenty strong and looks much cooler under a mopar.
I run an s60 with the aluminum rear cover in my cuda. A ford 9 inch would kill the look of the car.

huh how many people go climbing under your car tosee what rear end you run
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:02 PM

What some people "call" a real racing 9in has little to do with a real Ford 9in. I have a fabricated 9 with a 9.5 Ultra in one car and a fabricated 9 with a lightweight 9in in another.

There is NOTHING Ford about serious racing rears.....period.

The Dana rears my brother and myself had in our older cars were troulbe free. One was in a 3280# 499 with Indy 1s and oxide (street driven plenty), the other was a blown smallbock car at 3400# the morphed into a low buck blown alky Hemi at 2900#.

For a typical 10, 9, 8 sec car, for the price and strenght, the Dana is tough to beat.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:08 PM

its more of the ease and gear selection of a 9" over the dana.. not strength!

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:24 PM

LOL...you have to justify it if you want anyone to believe it.

All serious cars run a 9"? I hardly think so...explain why the Mark Williams catalog is full of rear ends above and beyond any 9". Just walk around any pit and you'll see the fastest cars using zero 9" rears.

The 9" Ford rear is like the SB Chevy - guys use them because they are sheep.

If the 9" rear were an album, it would be 'Thriller' - proof that popular doesn't even come close to being best.

If the 9" is so great, why does Strange offer a 12 bolt center section that drops in place of the Ford guts? One reason alone - to get the pinion higher and save HP.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:35 PM

Quote:

LOL...you have to justify it if you want anyone to believe it.

All serious cars run a 9"? I hardly think so...explain why the Mark Williams catalog is full of rear ends above and beyond any 9". Just walk around any pit and you'll see the fastest cars using zero 9" rears.

The 9" Ford rear is like the SB Chevy - guys use them because they are sheep.

If the 9" rear were an album, it would be 'Thriller' - proof that popular doesn't even come close to being best.

If the 9" is so great, why does Strange offer a 12 bolt center section that drops in place of the Ford guts? One reason alone - to get the pinion higher and save HP.

Why is it, MW doesn't even mention the Dana 60 for a race rear end?

The GM 12 bolt is used in comp cars that need maximum efficiency not strength.
Posted By: galen

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:39 PM

I have a 9" in the belvedere only because I got a deal on it. I ran a Dana 60 in the GTX manual car, worked great. If I would have got a deal on a dana, that would be in there. In my opinion both very good. Bottom line, run what you want they both will work. Galen
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I lost 16# going from 11 X 2.5 drums to a Willwood disk set up WITH the internal parking brake, 56# vrs 38#. Race brakes would be quiet a bit lighter.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:53 PM

sloan - I'll make you a really good deal on the MW center section that came my way in a parts deal! It will take a little fab work to finish off the project but you'll have the coolest looking rear end in the pits.

Attached picture 6079615-mw.jpg
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 04:58 PM

That doesn't look like a Ford 9" to me. It must not be for a serious race car.
Posted By: jughed

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 05:15 PM

Quote:

i know they have more money to spend than most of us

here's a stat for ya...that high dollar $$$$ setup in that pic is overkill, and a complete waste of money for 99.99999% of street/strip cars

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 05:20 PM

Quote:

did you ask him how many passes before he changes gears? and do you have proof? ole sledge wants recorded proof

Sure, he beat Darren Tedder in 2009 Barracuda challenge in VLD. Same set of gears since it was debuted.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 05:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sure, he beat Darren Tedder in 2009 Barracuda challenge in VLD. Same set of gears since it was debuted.

no offence and I love DT'S car but thats not very fast for a pro mod. not to mention it probably don't weigh 2200#s not really apples to apples.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 05:31 PM

Tony, were you there? did you see the race? C'mon, you asked what proof there was now your bashing the car. How do you know he didn't beat him because Tedder broke, or for that matter maybe he killed him by 8 car lengths..... You asked
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 05:33 PM

Kinda surprised nobody has brought up the "other" Mopar diff. I think there is a 9 second Cordoba running with a 9 1/4" diff. Definitely stronger than the 8 3/4. Takes Dana 60 size clutch discs. Bone yards are full of them - came in lots of Cordoba's and pick-ups.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 05:37 PM

Quote:

Tony, were you there? did you see the race? C'mon, you asked what proof there was now your bashing the car. How do you know he didn't beat him because Tedder broke, or for that matter maybe he killed him by 8 car lengths..... You asked

youhave to learn when people are joking I am not bashing the car nor the source. why was a pro mod racing DT heck why not a top fuel

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 05:38 PM

Quote:

Kinda surprised nobody has brought up the "other" Mopar diff. I think there is a 9 second Cordoba running with a 9 1/4" diff. Definitely stronger than the 8 3/4. Takes Dana 60 size clutch discs. Bone yards are full of them - came in lots of Cordoba's and pick-ups.

That brown '77 I just got rid of had a Sure Grip 9-1/4" in it and I gave $2fiddy for the whole car.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 05:38 PM

It was the "Barracuda challenge". Only rule is to be a Barracuda. Not my rules.....

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 06:54 PM

If a 9 is so great why did Ford only use it in trucks no larger than 1/2 ton? When they went to a 3/4 ton....they used a Dana 60.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 07:14 PM

Quote:

If a 9 is so great why did Ford only use it in trucks no larger than 1/2 ton? When they went to a 3/4 ton....they used a Dana 60.

for one, who's been talking about a ford 9" factory rear? and it's the same reason mopar went from an 8 3/4 to a dana. which came from a truck also.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 07:25 PM

The real question is........How should he set his pinion angle when he installs the Dana?

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 07:33 PM

Quote:

my first dana housing came out of a ford van! ford engineers must not know more than quiktree

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 07:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

my first dana housing came out of a ford van! ford engineers must not know more than quiktree

that really doesn't make a lot of since I have been saying they came from a ford truck for a while. people think they are a mopar piece.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 07:47 PM

Quote:

The real question is........How should he set his pinion angle when he installs the Dana?

don't even worry about it. dana's are bullet proof.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 08:44 PM

I was wondering about the SS/AH Cars and there NON-use of Danas. So I asked a local Chassis guy that has built 6-8 SS/AH cars. He said it has nothing to do with parasitic hp loss or cost. It has to do with the fact that the Dana is physically larger than a 9" style rear and the SS/AH cars are built so low now that they need all the clearance under the car that they can get. The gear swap is a major plus for these guys as well. I understood that. Our slow 10.0 car will get a Dana for sure now. Ive heard claims that a 9" style rear built similar to a Dana; part for part uses a little more power than a Dana to turn. But then again Ive heard exactly the opposite as well. I think Im just gonna go Dana for the cool factor under the car. We need to order (2). 1 for my wifes Dart and 1 for the Cuda.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 09:11 PM

I don't know it I got a bad set of gears, or what. But, I trashed a set of Richmond Pro Gears 4.56-1 that came with Herb's Dana. The car vibrated so bad on decel, it vibrated the rear view mirror and dash like tire shake. The gear pattern looked like a flying v (not Gibson, either ) I called Mark Williams tech line, described the pattern, and he said "yeah, it happens, don't worry about and use it." I replaced it anyway, with another Richmond Pro Gear set. The recession set in, that Hemi Fred said didn't exist, and I haven't made enough passes to retest the new gear set.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 09:32 PM

as someone that's normally a proponent for the 9" ford for your application i'd use a dana. you can get a new one in pieces from summit delivered for less than $1700 with the racer discount. that's a new axle housing, strange 35 spline race axles (HD 5/8" stud kit), spool, all bearings/retainers/seals, ring and pinion, heavy duty support cover and yoke with bolts. heck back out the flashy support cover and you could get it with their S series brake kit for under 2K. i say in pieces because it saves $125 in shipping.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/11/10 11:39 PM

Quote:

You must not know about gear changes and/or availablity of certain ratios. Pretty much everybody mentioned "unless you plan on changing ratios often".
Posted By: mloboda

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 01:00 AM

Dodge used Dana 60s in their trucks.
Ford used Dana 60s in their trucks.

NOTHING beats using a truck rear end in your race car! It looks too cool NOT to do it.

I have a S60 in my Duster and when i blow up the 9in in my AMX, it will get a Dana too.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 02:55 AM

I like my ole Dana 60. I have ran with over 1,500 HP and never broke a gear. The MW alluminum spool broke after racing for 5 years. When I put the Dana in gears were plentiful and I ran a small tire. Under the same cercumstances I would go Dana again even thought the PRO GEAR choices are slim.

I now run a lot taller tire and a lower pinion would be nice as the driveshaft is uphill eating HP. Not going to go into that one here. But, it has nothing to do with the strength. I have a heavy Dana HD60. It is the toughest housing out there.

I have considered going with a 9" to level the driveshaft and get gears cheaper and more ratios available. But these are the only reasons. My DANA has worked just fine for my uses. 3100 car ran many 8.0 passses in the quarter with no issues.

MOST of the reasons on both sides have been rediculous. Your car DANA. Tube chassis car with tall tires the 9" has some benefits just depends on what you feal you need.

Leon
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 07:32 AM

You "purists" kill me. You guys do realize that DANA corporation, was in no way shape or form, a part of Chrysler. It was and is, an aftermarket company, that Chrysler and all the other brands, bought rear ends from. Chrysler was smart enough to realize that their "best" diff, the 8.75, could not hack it behind their most powerful cars, so they had to outsource a diff.....Now I am not a Ford lover, or anything like that, but i hate when misinformation gets spewed around everywhere and taken for the truth.......That said..... Factory HiPo Fords, such as Cobra-Jet Mustangs, Torinos and other top of the line stuff, came from the FACTORY, with 9" rears, with "Nodular Iron" center sections, 31 spline, hardened axles and "Detroit Locker" posi units. You would be hard pressed to find a better and more durable "Factory" HiPo diff anywhere, under any car. My dad had a record holding SS/GA, six pack Challenger in the 70s. We went to the track with 3 spare 8.75 center sections, every race. When he tired of breaking those, we got a complete rear from a Cobra-Jet Mustang, out of a junkyard, complete with factory 4.10 gears. Installed a $200 Phallanx alum pinion support, on that 100% factory original Ford rear and NEVER broke that center section or the factory axles. Matter of fact, that same factory Ford center section and that same pinion support was under my GTX the whole time I ran it and I still have it to this day...So when all our so called "experts" start spewing rubbish about those weak, factory Ford rears, I know better. Sure, the days of finding a factory 9" with a locker and Nodualr center in a wrecking yard are likely over, so are they over for finding a factory HiPo Dana in a yard. Yes, you can spend as much as you want on aftermarket 9", but I see guys on here bragging about their 1700-1900 dollar danas. I can build Fords that will take the same power, for that money all day. The difference becomes, that you can't spend "enough" on a Dana to make it last in a max HP application, because there are simply no parts to do it with. A Pro-Mod or even a Top-Sportsman car, with "real" power, will shell a Dana in just a few passes and there is NOTHING you can do to stop it.

Each diff has it's place and everyone is welcome to suggest and defend their choice...just get the freaking facts straight before you start shooting your mouth off.

Monte
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 08:37 AM

Jeff Smith at CarCraft did an article comparing a Dana 60, a 12 Bolt Chevy, and a 9 inch Ford. All were pro built, weights are given, chassis dyno tested.

Here is a link:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0806_chevy_chevelle_rear_axle_swap/index.html

Granted, we're not talking about SS/AH or Pro-Mod level testing here, but it does answer a lot of speculative BS that gets shoveled around.

Dana 60, Ford 9"...they are both great.

Interesting weight finding:
WEIGHT (lbs)- complete assembly w/o brakes -
- Chevy 12-bolt - 171
- Strange S60 - 191
- Currie 9-inch - 174

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 08:42 AM

If you really think about it monty isnt alot of the parts outsourced? how much of the new chyrsler cars today are 100% chyrsler parts? however the dana 60 WAS made popular by MOPAR!

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 11:19 AM

Chrysler's use of the Dana in no way diminished the 8-3/4. As with most aspect of their cars, Chrysler over-engineered things back then, and then some.

Let's not forget Chrysler was doing something Ford was not - offering a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty on pretty much everything. If you had to hold the bag for a 19 year old kid with a stick shifted 440-6 Road Runner, would you use a 9" Ford or a Dana?

The nodular iron 9", and 31 spline axles, you mention were used in very few cars. Another good thing about Mopar, unlike Ford of Chevy, was they used the good stuff in everything, not just for the elite few.

The factory Ford 9" iron, nodular or not, was and is weak in the pinion 'nose' bearing area. Nothing to be proud of.

And for being a purist, the last place I'm going to apologize for that is on a BB called Moparts.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 12:50 PM

Quote:

Chrysler's use of the Dana in no way diminished the 8-3/4. As with most aspect of their cars, Chrysler over-engineered things back then, and then some.

Let's not forget Chrysler was doing something Ford was not - offering a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty on pretty much everything. If you had to hold the bag for a 19 year old kid with a stick shifted 440-6 Road Runner, would you use a 9" Ford or a Dana?

The nodular iron 9", and 31 spline axles, you mention were used in very few cars. Another good thing about Mopar, unlike Ford of Chevy, was they used the good stuff in everything, not just for the elite few.

The factory Ford 9" iron, nodular or not, was and is weak in the pinion 'nose' bearing area. Nothing to be proud of.

And for being a purist, the last place I'm going to apologize for that is on a BB called Moparts.

Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 12:58 PM

Quote:

You "purists" kill me. You guys do realize that DANA corporation, was in no way shape or form, a part of Chrysler. It was and is, an aftermarket company, that Chrysler and all the other brands, bought rear ends from. Chrysler was smart enough to realize that their "best" diff, the 8.75, could not hack it behind their most powerful cars, so they had to outsource a diff.....Now I am not a Ford lover, or anything like that, but i hate when misinformation gets spewed around everywhere and taken for the truth.......That said..... Factory HiPo Fords, such as Cobra-Jet Mustangs, Torinos and other top of the line stuff, came from the FACTORY, with 9" rears, with "Nodular Iron" center sections, 31 spline, hardened axles and "Detroit Locker" posi units. You would be hard pressed to find a better and more durable "Factory" HiPo diff anywhere, under any car. My dad had a record holding SS/GA, six pack Challenger in the 70s. We went to the track with 3 spare 8.75 center sections, every race. When he tired of breaking those, we got a complete rear from a Cobra-Jet Mustang, out of a junkyard, complete with factory 4.10 gears. Installed a $200 Phallanx alum pinion support, on that 100% factory original Ford rear and NEVER broke that center section or the factory axles. Matter of fact, that same factory Ford center section and that same pinion support was under my GTX the whole time I ran it and I still have it to this day...So when all our so called "experts" start spewing rubbish about those weak, factory Ford rears, I know better. Sure, the days of finding a factory 9" with a locker and Nodualr center in a wrecking yard are likely over, so are they over for finding a factory HiPo Dana in a yard. Yes, you can spend as much as you want on aftermarket 9", but I see guys on here bragging about their 1700-1900 dollar danas. I can build Fords that will take the same power, for that money all day. The difference becomes, that you can't spend "enough" on a Dana to make it last in a max HP application, because there are simply no parts to do it with. A Pro-Mod or even a Top-Sportsman car, with "real" power, will shell a Dana in just a few passes and there is NOTHING you can do to stop it.

Each diff has it's place and everyone is welcome to suggest and defend their choice...just get the freaking facts straight before you start shooting your mouth off.

Monte

Monte, you're a smart guy and I respect your opinion, but you're the one speading some bs here. Just run down to the local junkyard and pick up a factory CJ 9"? LOL, they must park those right next to the Hurst Hemi cars in the yard .

I saw factory, non CJ 9"'s(which is all there really was) get blown up all of the time on the street. I believe the 8.75 was a stronger rear than a 9".

I do agree that the aftermarket 9" is the only way to go in a high hp (1000hp+) car. Simplicity of gear changes and the availability of high end trick parts for the 9" make it the obvious choice.

That being said, if I need a rear for my 10 second b body I'll head down to the junkyard, find a Dana and have a rear that will handle all I will give it and not have to take out a second mortgage to buy a 9" that will be as strong and last as long.

You're mileage may vary
Posted By: BobR

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 12:59 PM

Quote:

That's right Dean. I have a Dana in my street car but my race car has a 9.5 Dewco.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 02:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

9" is a pure race rear end nowadays, there's many advantages. That's why they cost more, look under any serious race car and you'll see 9" rear ends.

I don't have to justify anything I say, greg.

I agree. The only guys who will likely argue pro-Dana are the weekend warrior type 10 second bracket racers. Almost all serious racers will use some form of the 9" and it doesn't matter one iota what design was stronger from the factory.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 03:06 PM

"i hate when misinformation gets spewed around everywhere and taken for the truth"???

"So when all our so called "experts" start spewing rubbish about those weak, factory Ford rears, I know better"???

"A Pro-Mod or even a Top-Sportsman car, with "real" power, will shell a Dana in just a few passes and there is NOTHING you can do to stop it"???

"get the freaking facts straight before you start shooting your mouth off."???

I don't know why you are talking about "factory Ford center-sections" in this thread, but since you brought it up, my findings, based on years of rebuilding/building/selling hundreds of 9" rears, suggest the factory units are VERY OVERRATED:

1. Most "factory Ford 9" rears have 28 spline axles.

2. "Hipo 31 spline hardened axles" (common in '70s pickups) strip the splines because of the shallow 45 degreee pressure angle.

3. Traction Lock posis break in half because of the thin casting around the clutch pack.

3. Stock 9" castings break in half, because of the thin area around the pocket bearing even when equipped with a big bearing Daytona "aluminum" pinion support.

4. A factory built Detroit Locker equipped "N" case is a fairly stout rear, but it is MYTHICALLY RARE.

I also don't know why you are talking about Pro-Mod rearends in this thread. THE OP IS NOT BUILDING A PRO-MOD CAR. A top fuel car "with real power" will "shell" a 9" rear "and there is NOTHING you can do to stop it". So, what is is your point?

BTW, what ring gear diameter do most Pro-Mod cars run?
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 03:14 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=2#Post6069465

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 04:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte, you're a smart guy and I respect your opinion, but you're the one speading some bs here. Just run down to the local junkyard and pick up a factory CJ 9"? LOL, they must park those right next to the Hurst Hemi cars in the yard .

I saw factory, non CJ 9"'s(which is all there really was) get blown up all of the time on the street. I believe the 8.75 was a stronger rear than a 9".

I do agree that the aftermarket 9" is the only way to go in a high hp (1000hp+) car. Simplicity of gear changes and the availability of high end trick parts for the 9" make it the obvious choice.

That being said, if I need a rear for my 10 second b body I'll head down to the junkyard, find a Dana and have a rear that will handle all I will give it and not have to take out a second mortgage to buy a 9" that will be as strong and last as long.

You're mileage may vary

I actually referred to that part in my post, if you had bothered to read all of it. No, you likely wont find a nodular center 9" in a wrecking yard these days, just like you won't find a HiPo Dana. You can find a truck Dana, that needs a ton of work on the housing. And actually, "Nodular" center sections not only came in Cobra Jet cars, they also came in trucks and vans, along with 31 spline axles. At one time, when you could actually still find parts in wrecking yards. I had collected over a dozen Nodular centers from various yards and only one came from an actual Cobra Jet car. Still have two.

Now which 8.75 are you talking about?? That scrawny POS, that came under A bodies, or the one that came under six pack cars. I believe I will take the Cobra Jet rear everytime over the mighty A body 8.75. Who quoted that Mopar put their best under everything????? May want to rethink that comment. This is always the issue. The "purists" always compare the best Mopar has to offer, to the worst others have to offer. I am as much a Mopar guy as anybody and people that know me, have met me, and have seen my collection of cars around here know that....but I am also a realist, respect all brands and if somebody has something better, I am not afraid to say it.

Just like I said, use the rear you want, they both have their place...but don't compare the best one has to offer against the worst another has to offer and then proclaim "all their factory parts are junk and ours are the best"...that is the misinformation I speak of

Monte

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 04:42 PM

Quote:

I actually referred to that part in my post, if you had bothered to read all of it. No, you likely wont find a nodular center 9" in a wrecking yard these days, just like you won't find a HiPo Dana. You can find a truck Dana, that needs a ton of work on the housing. And actually, "Nodular" center sections not only came in Cobra Jet cars, they also came in trucks and vans, along with 31 spline axles. At one time, when you could actually still find parts in wrecking yards. I had collected over a dozen Nodular centers from various yards and only one came from an actual Cobra Jet car. Still have two.

Now which 8.75 are you talking about?? That scrawny POS, that came under A bodies, or the one that came under six pack cars. I believe I will take the Cobra Jet rear everytime over the mighty A body 8.75. Who quoted that Mopar put their best under everything????? May want to rethink that comment. This is always the issue. The "purists" always compare the best Mopar has to offer, to the worst others have to offer. I am as much a Mopar guy as anybody and people that know me, have met me, and have seen my collection of cars around here know that....but I am also a realist, respect all brands and if somebody has something better, I am not afraid to say it.

Just like I said, use the rear you want, they both have their place...but don't compare the best one has to offer against the worst another has to offer and then proclaim "all their factory parts are junk and ours are the best"...that is the misinformation I speak of

Monte

Monte, I read your whole post and I have met you and know you're a Mopar guy, which is why I said I respect your opinion, something you seem to have a hard time doing in return. You complain about unfair comparisons, yet want to compare a 741 case out of a /6 Valiant to a CJ rear

The reality is that it takes a lot more money to make a 9" live behind a moderate amount of hp than it does a Dana. I've narrowed truck Dana's and used the factory R&Ps behind 600hp+ bracket cars without any troubles. You simply can't do that with a 9".

Also other than narrowing them for $150 not sure what all of this housing work is you speak of?

As for the purist thing, I'm the farthest thing from a purist there is. My all motor car will have a fabbed 9" housing and a all out big bearing pinion pig, not a Dana

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 04:57 PM

Since we are still talking about "stock" rearends, I will take a run of the mill, "scrawny POS" 8 3/4" rear over a run-of-the-mill, super scrawny 9" any day of the week.

I will also take the "best" stock Dana 60, over the best stock Ford 9" rear.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 05:14 PM

Funny. The ONLY place you'll see this pro Dana arguement is on Mopar sites. Go to a nondenominational race site and start this arguement. You won't last one page. As has been stated many times, Dana is not now nor has ever been a part of Chrysler. I don't understand the undying allegiance of some.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 05:26 PM

Quote:

Funny. The ONLY place you'll see this pro Dana arguement is on Mopar sites. Go to a nondenominational race site and start this arguement. You won't last one page. As has been stated many times, Dana is not now nor has ever been a part of Chrysler. I don't understand the undying allegiance of some.

For me the Dana was part of the package that was some of the best Mopar factory Muscle cars.
I don't know of any other brand using the Dana? As far as the OP if the Dana will get the job done, then that would be my choice.

Mark

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 05:34 PM

Quote:

Bob, how many Holley carbs did Mopar make? Bendix brakes, Spicer u-joints and so on. Not sure what the name of the vendor has to do with anything. Half of the car was someone elses parts.

That being said, Super Trac-Pac cars came with Dana 60's from the factory. That forever immortalized them in the minds of those that owned, drove and loved those cars. No other car company was smart enough to use them in their muscle cars.

The only people I really see pushing or mentioning the "purist" agenda in this thread are those that are trying to deflect from the real question. And that was which rear makes more sense for this guys 10 second "bracket car", not a twin turbo drag radial car or a ProMod.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 05:36 PM

Quote:

Since we are still talking about "stock" rearends, I will take a run of the mill, "scrawny POS" 8 3/4" rear over a run-of-the-mill, super scrawny 9" any day of the week.

Exactly Cass, that was my point as well.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 05:48 PM

Geeeeez Sloan, see what you started?? You have a PM by the way...

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 06:10 PM

Quote:

WOW, you guys only see what you want to see. That comment was in reference to another poster, NOT HEMIROID, that suggested Mopar put their best in EVERY car. Obviously you can't compare a SCJ 9" to the weak a$$ A body 8.75, just like you can't compare a standard 9" to a HiPo Dana or 8.75. The whole point here, was you have to compare apples to apples and not make sweeping generalizations, that "Mopars rule"(excuse me, DANAS rule) and everybody elses parts suck.

Hemiroid, the only part of that reply that was directed at you, was that the good Ford parts COULD be found in vehicles other than SCJ cars and at one time, were fairly easy to find, same as other HiPo parts from all the brands.

I got nothing against DANA rears, actually have a vehicle with one in it....my 1 ton truck...

Monte
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 06:13 PM

Quote:

Some of us remember when a few SS/AA hemi cars had 12-bolts in them, as the thought was back then they take less HP to turn than anything else at the time. Would hate to hear what those purists would have said then!!!

So, let's see: a guy wants to know who can contribute to his choosing which rear in a 3200# low 10 sec street strip car, right? Then the argument starts over which was stronger in OEM form and what/why the fuel cars and pro mods have.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 06:16 PM

I never said Spicer was part of Chrysler but I do feel Dana 60's make the strongest, bang-for-the buck street/strip rears and a Ford 9" is not the ultimate choice for every application.

If only Mopar guys run Dana 60 rears, why does Strange Engineering make new S-60 castings for all popular Chevy applications (torque arm provisions, upper control arm mounts etc...)? Beleive it or not, I sold several to small block Chevy loving drag racers lately.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 06:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

WOW, you guys only see what you want to see. That comment was in reference to another poster, NOT HEMIROID, that suggested Mopar put their best in EVERY car. Obviously you can't compare a SCJ 9" to the weak a$$ A body 8.75, just like you can't compare a standard 9" to a HiPo Dana or 8.75. The whole point here, was you have to compare apples to apples and not make sweeping generalizations, that "Mopars rule"(excuse me, DANAS rule) and everybody elses parts suck.

Hemiroid, the only part of that reply that was directed at you, was that the good Ford parts COULD be found in vehicles other than SCJ cars and at one time, were fairly easy to find, same as other HiPo parts from all the brands.

I got nothing against DANA rears, actually have a vehicle with one in it....my 1 ton truck...

Monte

It's all good Monte, I think we're on the same page here.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 06:23 PM

Quote:

that is correct.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 06:37 PM

personally i could care less who makes it if it serves my purpose so that whole aspect of this thread is irrelevant. i wouldn't use a dana in my dragster and i won't be calling MW for a 9" for my dart. both dragsters have a 9" one is strange and one is MW but i'll be ordering a dana for the dart, the 8.75" i built will be sold. for the price (or even less) of a good 9" center from MW i can get a complete brand new strange dana less brakes that will do what i need it to. everyone has opinions, imho for the OP the dana would be the most cost effective route.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 06:49 PM

DANA's are sexy

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 06:52 PM

Quote:

how many Holley carbs did Mopar make? Bendix brakes, Spicer u-joints and so on. Not sure what the name of the vendor has to do with anything. Half of the car was someone elses parts.

EXACTLY

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 06:56 PM

this is "sexy" but VERY expensive and unnecessary for the OP

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 07:25 PM

Quote:

this is "sexy" but VERY expensive and unnecessary for the OP

You could take that logic one big step further and say the whole damned sport is expensive and unnecessary!
That is one sexy rear, tho.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 07:38 PM

Quote:

the reasons are many starting with:
they build from scratch with unlimited budgets.
there's not a single bolt or nut from a factory rear.
they need to swap centers at the drop of a dime between rounds sometimes mandates using a pumkins style.
strength factory vs factory unit hands down the Dana

Attached picture 6081751-IMG_0117.JPG
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 07:44 PM

Another reason I love this place... WTGDF does a Pro mod, 10.5 outlaw car have to do with Sloan's Cuda????

Get a truck Dana and build it. Last one I did I had a little over $800 in, spool/axle/4.56/yoke/brakes

or

Call Dr and get one that way.

Carry on!

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/12/10 07:45 PM

Quote:

You could take that logic one big step further and say the whole damned sport is expensive and unnecessary!

lately i've been right on the verge of that

Quote:

That is one sexy rear, tho.

it ought to be it cost more than my parents paid for their house...$17,300 according to the site
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 12:54 AM

I went 9" in my latest project, my 70' Road Runner. It's a street/strip car. The only Ford factory part used was the Housing. Using mostly new & some sweet deals on some used parts, I put this one together for $1700.

Strange Iron Center Housing (new)
Moser 35 Spline Locker (used)
4.56 Gear (used)
Billet Alum. Pinion Support (new)
Moly Pinion Flange (used)
Moser 35 Spline Axles (new)
S & W Back Brace (new)
S & W Big Ford Housing Ends (new)
New Brgs & Misc. small parts

The main reason was the flexibility to changing gears. I will have one Iron center section with the Locker for the street & one Alum. center section wilt a spool for the track.

I'll accumulate parts for the alum. center as I find the good deals.

I had a Dana in my old Chally & it worked good. But, personally I'm really liking the 9" stuff now that I've been exposed to it & I think it's well worth the extra dough. And, I think they look KILLER!!

My Dana that's in my old Chally:
Posted By: jughed

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 03:17 AM

Quote:

so true. Ford engineers putting Dana 60s in their 3/4 tons is a flat out admission BY FORD that Dana 60s are much stronger than 9" rearends. that should be the argument ender when it comes to the FACTORY 9" vs FACTORY Dana 60 debate, but no.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 04:04 AM

After breaking a half dozen 9" rears myself in my mild 440 Demon I would think MY opinion would be obvious...

Dana 60 over a Ford 9" hands down.

A 9" rear can be made to last, but it's not going to have any stock Ford stuff in it, all costly aftermarket stuff, IMO anyways.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 04:07 AM

Quote:

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 01:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob, how many Holley carbs did Mopar make? Bendix brakes, Spicer u-joints and so on. Not sure what the name of the vendor has to do with anything. Half of the car was someone elses parts.

That being said, Super Trac-Pac cars came with Dana 60's from the factory. That forever immortalized them in the minds of those that owned, drove and loved those cars. No other car company was smart enough to use them in their muscle cars.

The only people I really see pushing or mentioning the "purist" agenda in this thread are those that are trying to deflect from the real question. And that was which rear makes more sense for this guys 10 second "bracket car", not a twin turbo drag radial car or a ProMod.

Look under some trucks.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 01:25 PM

Quote:

That doesn't look like a Ford 9" to me. It must not be for a serious race car.

What do you race, Doc?

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 02:36 PM

I don't race anything. I mainly build street/strip rearends.

My point is, application is everything. A 9.5" rear is not the best choice for a street/strip car OR a top fuel dragster.

If you want to build a streetable 9" rear, you are stuck with tiny bearings a tiny pinion shaft and as far as I know, only 1 choice for a 35 spline traction differential (Detroit Locker).

On the other hand, a Dana 60 has a 9 3/4" ring gear, big pinion shaft, big bearings, and ALL traction differentials are available in 35 spline. In addition, it costs LESS to build, robs less HP and weighs about the same as a comparable 9" rear. These work very well in heavy, torquey street/strip cars.

I don't consider a 9" or a Dana 60 to be to be a true "drag race rear". For higher end drag racing applications, I recommend skipping BOTH in favor of 9.5" (and larger) dedicated drag rears.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 02:56 PM

Quote:

huh how many people go climbing under your car tosee what rear end you run

all real mopar guys look under the car. nothing makes us horny like a dana 60 under there. but, deep down, you knew that.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 04:53 PM

Quote:

I don't race anything. I mainly build street/strip rearends.

My point is, application is everything. A 9.5" rear is not the best choice for a street/strip car OR a top fuel dragster.

If you want to build a streetable 9" rear, you are stuck with tiny bearings a tiny pinion shaft and as far as I know, only 1 choice for a 35 spline traction differential (Detroit Locker).

On the other hand, a Dana 60 has a 9 3/4" ring gear, big pinion shaft, big bearings, and ALL traction differentials are available in 35 spline. In addition, it costs LESS to build, robs less HP and weighs about the same as a comparable 9" rear. These work very well in heavy, torquey street/strip cars.

I don't consider a 9" or a Dana 60 to be to be a true "drag race rear". For higher end drag racing applications, I recommend skipping BOTH in favor of 9.5" (and larger) dedicated drag rears.

A lot of this discussion is merely a matter of interpretation. When some guys say a drag 9" rear they mean the full-on specialty version not something that was ever in a Ford automobile. The aftermarket made the "9 inch" what it is not Ford or any OEM. For the OP's application the Dana is a fine choice. Like I said, I have one under my streeter Challenger. For more serious race efforts it almost exclusively "9 inch" domain.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 05:03 PM

Boils down to this for me...I am NOT going to run a freaking truck rear end, in my hot street car, or race car. Lying on my back setting up a center section might be something I HAVE to do in my truck, but not my car. If an 8.75 won't get it done, I will go straight to the 9", don't care if it cost 100 times more than a DANA, because I am NOT going to lie on my back and set up gears....And before we hear about the DANA and "forget it" and "they don't break", just save that for someone who does not know better. ALL hot rod parts break eventually.

Monte

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 06:12 PM

Quote:

Boils down to this for me...I am NOT going to run a freaking truck rear end, in my hot street car, or race car. Lying on my back setting up a center section might be something I HAVE to do in my truck, but not my car. If an 8.75 won't get it done, I will go straight to the 9", don't care if it cost 100 times more than a DANA, because I am NOT going to lie on my back and set up gears....And before we hear about the DANA and "forget it" and "they don't break", just save that for someone who does not know better. ALL hot rod parts break eventually.

Monte

Expecially since Strange and Moser that I know of, have reproduced them for our muscle cars. I have one under my 71 street car.

My first race rear end back in 1990 was a N case 9". Since then it has been all aftermarket 9" parts.

Re: Im being harassed for wanting a Dana 60 in the Cuda. - 07/13/10 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Expecially since Strange and Moser that I know of, have reproduced them for our muscle cars. I have one under my 71 street car.

My first race rear end back in 1990 was a N case 9". Since then it has been all aftermarket 9" parts.

© 2024 Moparts Forums