Moparts

Full spool with stock axels

Posted By: flatiron

Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 01:42 PM

Can you use a full spool with stock axels? What spline are a body 8.75 axels
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 01:51 PM

30 spline. Yes, you can use stock axles, but they may break soon.
Posted By: Aspen7695

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 02:32 PM

If you are going to race at an NHRA sacctioned track you will not pass tech. The rules state you need aftermarket axles with a spool.

Raul
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 02:35 PM

They will never catch it in Tech, until you turn abruptly right or left, crash, hold up the show, and p i s s everyone off. Buy the spool and axles as a set. It's an investment.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 03:04 PM

If you're buying a spool. Get a 35 spline and axles to match. Moser doesn't even sell a 30 spline spool for 8 3/4 for fear of someone using stock axles in it.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 03:54 PM

If you don't break the axels you will surly twist the splines. I know I did.

If you're even remotly thinking about stepping up the power down the road build the car to handel the most you think you'll ever want to throw at it.

Spending money twice really gets old after a short while
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 04:00 PM

I ran stock axels and a spool for years. Did twist an Axel a little so I replaced them and twisted one of them a little bit, it's still in there.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 04:28 PM

Quote:

Can you? Yes. Good idea? Makes as much sense as holding a lit fire cracker. Listen to experiece and buy spool and axles together.

Brian
Posted By: BobR

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 04:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Can you? Yes. Good idea? Makes as much sense as holding a lit fire cracker. Listen to experiece and buy spool and axles together.

Brian

There's always someone who's done it but it's a real bad idea and a good way to wad up a nice old Mopar.
Posted By: DusterDog

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 04:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Brian

Posted By: flatiron

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 06:27 PM

Thanks to all. I'll save up a bit more and do it the Safe/right way
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 07:21 PM

if you're going to stay with the 8.75 as mentioned get 35 spline axles and spool. i don't believe the initial cost isn't much if any more
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 07:44 PM

I agree. If your buying it all new then 35 spline is the way to go.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Full spool with stock axels - 07/04/10 10:29 PM

All Mopar 8 3/4 axles use the same spline, 30. I used a stock set of axles with a 30 spline spool in my stocker for several years, it finally broke the left axle off in the spool Luckily it happened on the burn out so I didn't lose control of the car like might have happened on the launch or down track I have also broke a stock axle that was already twisted in the splines, it broke the convex beveled posi plates in the rear end, which eventually cause me to switch to a Dana 70 rear end in that car Best bet is to save your money and buy the 35 spline axles and spool, don't forget about the need for the a steel cap on the drivers side on most high powered good hooking Mopars also and the back brace, the list goes on Best bet is to save your money and buy a custom made Dana 60 for your car
© 2024 Moparts Forums