Moparts

440 Super Commando crate engine

Posted By: StrokedDart

440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/01/10 09:56 PM

I was just wondering if there was anyone who has picked one of these up yet and has some practical experience with one in a car? If so what's your opinion of it in regards to drive ability, performance, any ETs etc...

Domo Arigato!
Posted By: PUNK

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 01:03 AM

Did they ever actually materialize?? I have not heard of anyone that has been able to purchase one. Zippy would know.
Posted By: Pat7272

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 02:33 AM

good question, id like to know too

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 05:02 AM

wow so no one has purchased one? they are pretty pricey.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 11:46 AM

As far as I now The 440 super commando uses/used the large port commando heads and Mopar was out of them but they had a casting for a new revised version of the head that was supposed to replace the older "problematic" heads but they hadn't pulled the trigger on the heads yet or ran into other problems with them.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 12:51 PM

where is Zippy?
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 02:42 PM

Hey

They've been around for a little while now. The guys are right, the heads were a pain. The Engineering was done on them a long time ago, but there was a big disagreement on the business side that hung them in limbo for what seemed like forever.

I'm relieved to say the heads are now readily available both to Stanton (builder) and to the general public. The number is P5153850, and there are 26 of them in National stock.

That was the only holdup, the engines have been out for awhile now and have been doing pretty darn well.

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 02:55 PM

Quote:

Hey

They've been around for a little while now. The guys are right, the heads were a pain. The Engineering was done on them a long time ago, but there was a big disagreement on the business side that hung them in limbo for what seemed like forever.

I'm relieved to say the heads are now readily available both to Stanton (builder) and to the general public. The number is P5153850, and there are 26 of them in National stock.

That was the only holdup, the engines have been out for awhile now and have been doing pretty darn well.

The heads are out and any feedback on them yet Zippy.

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 03:50 PM

Not yet, not many folks know about them. Nobody has really given much feedback yet. Maybe I should put a post in the new product area?

They are an Edelbrock style head, but with the pushrod pinch area completely gone and wide open, so there's a straight shot from the flange into the port.

I think I can get my hands on one to take pictures, maybe it'd be a good idea to get the word out a bit?

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 04:23 PM

Quote:

Not yet, not many folks know about them. Nobody has really given much feedback yet. Maybe I should put a post in the new product area?

They are an Edelbrock style head, but with the pushrod pinch area completely gone and wide open, so there's a straight shot from the flange into the port.

I think I can get my hands on one to take pictures, maybe it'd be a good idea to get the word out a bit?

That would be great I have more questions but i will wait to post them If you are going make a post in the new products section Sorry for hi-jacking the thread
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 05:17 PM

So who knows somebody over at STANTON?
surely someone knows of someone over there.

what are the dyno numbers?
specs?

the "scoope" so to speak

cheapst
Posted By: Pat7272

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 05:53 PM

Quote:

They are an Edelbrock style head

Are they based off the currently available Edelbrock heads or are they truely new heads?

I too am interested in these heads and will look forward to more information here on in the new products section!

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 06:04 PM

They are based off an Edelbrock head but with some pretty severe changes, much closer to an Indybrock head.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 06:20 PM

Had I known about those heads I might have used them on my 427 inch small block.

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 07:01 PM

Those heads were listed in the catalog that I sent you.

But.....they weren't available until now, and you wanted to get your build and book done, so it's probably a good thing I didn't tell you to wait for the heads.

Who knows, things could have continued to go wrong. The heads were shown at trade shows since 2007, and only came out recently so that should give an idea how big of a headache (no pun intended) they were for quite awhile.

Posted By: StrokerPost

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/02/10 11:05 PM

Hey Zip, do you have a link to something to read on the heads as well as the motors?
Thanks.
Ken.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/03/10 12:43 AM

super expensive!!900+per head

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/03/10 03:41 AM

Yes, they're a pretty penny for sure.

For reading material, there isn't a ton of info out there yet but here is an example: Start here and then go to page 4.

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/04/10 01:57 PM

thats one bad torquemonster
Posted By: TiMopar

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/05/10 11:16 AM

I have been posting this same question for a couple of years now on this site and others. Come to the conclusion that they are a myth, although I have found a couple of dealers who were willing to take my money for one anyway....

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/05/10 12:04 PM

and a thread about those heads would be intresting

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/06/10 05:11 PM

Well just to follow up, I spoke with Bouchillion Performance who said they were not readily available, however apparently they work with Stanton Racing and could get me one of these through them??

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/06/10 07:42 PM

Translation: "We don't want to keep a crate engine in stock that someone may or may not buy".

That goes for both the WD you contacted and for Chrysler.

The engines are not stocked in a warehouse, they are st up as vendor ship direct. Order from the Mopar Performance dealer of your choice, the order gets processed to the builder, the builder builds the engine and ships it out.

Re: 440 Super Commando crate engine - 07/06/10 08:43 PM

thank you for the translation Zippy. kinda shoots the whole crate motor concept in the a$$ as far as i'm concerned, but hey such is life
© 2024 Moparts Forums