Moparts

acid ported intake manifold

Posted By: stage3

acid ported intake manifold - 06/28/10 12:15 AM

Looking for anyone that does acid porting on intake manifolds for small block Chrysler. Have got prices on extrude honing and would like to
know what acid goes for and what benefit either offers. Car is not legal for any sanctioned CLASS racing, just want a stock appearing car. Thanks in advance for any help. I have heard of Walters intake manifolds but no contact info.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/28/10 12:57 AM

From my understanding, you don't really port with acid. Acid was/is?
used to cover up the carbide finish left by hand porting. I might be
wrong. It's happened before.
Posted By: BradH

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/28/10 01:40 AM

Quote:

Acid was/is? used to cover up the carbide finish left by hand porting.

X2...
Posted By: BobR

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/28/10 02:26 AM

Quote:

Looking for anyone that does acid porting on intake manifolds for small block Chrysler. Have got prices on extrude honing and would like to
know what acid goes for and what benefit either offers. Car is not legal for any sanctioned CLASS racing, just want a stock appearing car. Thanks in advance for any help. I have heard of Walters intake manifolds but no contact info.

Be ready to crack your wallet open. If you are porting a 2 plane manifold you are probably just wasting your money.
Posted By: topbrent

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/28/10 06:29 AM

Get in good with some of the stock eliminator racers.

Isn't Don Little rumored to be one of the go-to guys to di$cu$$ that "pickle juice" $ort of thing?
Posted By: NoFrills

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/28/10 10:48 AM

my brother used to run a circle track small block chevy that had to have a stock intake and had some some stuff from this guy they spilit the intake port then weld back togeather and hide it all in the end http://www.castheads.com/
Posted By: BobR

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/28/10 01:50 PM

Quote:

my brother used to run a circle track small block chevy that had to have a stock intake and had some some stuff from this guy they spilit the intake port then weld back togeather and hide it all in the end http://www.castheads.com/

Several years ago A local Mopar stock eliminator racer told me that he had about 6 grand into SB thermoquad manifold. He figured that it was worth about .06/2mph.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/29/10 04:20 PM

What it does: removes material very slowly from the entire interior surface (not just the parts you want, or casting flash and machining errors).
Any area that isn't clean won't get ported.
If you know where you want it ported, mask the other areas with something acid-resistant such as wax. Don't melt wax into the manifold, it won't come off the areas to be ported by scraping. It may get hot enough to melt the wax anyway.
Chemical: for cast-iron, most strong acids will work but very dangerous to handle. Aluminum, you can use lye or acid, but they work much faster. Never add water to acid - you add acid to water.
Put it outside, plug the port runners, leave the flange open and fill with acid. It probably affects the bottom slightly more, as bubbles will tend to follow the walls upward.
Best results: plug everything, and rotate it 90° every 15 minutes for several hours, drain, examine.
Wear rubber gloves, goggles, respirator (not just a mask). Tell someone to call you back, and call 9-11 if you don't answer. Throw away whatever you wore.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/29/10 05:51 PM

Quote:

What it does: removes material very slowly from the entire interior surface (not just the parts you want, or casting flash and machining errors).
Any area that isn't clean won't get ported.
If you know where you want it ported, mask the other areas with something acid-resistant such as wax. Don't melt wax into the manifold, it won't come off the areas to be ported by scraping. It may get hot enough to melt the wax anyway.
Chemical: for cast-iron, most strong acids will work but very dangerous to handle. Aluminum, you can use lye or acid, but they work much faster. Never add water to acid - you add acid to water.
Put it outside, plug the port runners, leave the flange open and fill with acid. It probably affects the bottom slightly more, as bubbles will tend to follow the walls upward.
Best results: plug everything, and rotate it 90° every 15 minutes for several hours, drain, examine.
Wear rubber gloves, goggles, respirator (not just a mask). Tell someone to call you back, and call 9-11 if you don't answer. Throw away whatever you wore.

The EPA called and said they will be right over.....
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/29/10 06:33 PM

The proceedure is pushing the better part of 500. nowadays. Unless you absolutly have to have it its worth is marginal at best.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/29/10 07:10 PM

I remember a Pro Stock racer was letting the car body sit outside to rust and then cleaned it up with muriatic (HCl) acid. I think it was Glidden, but maybe you could do that with your intake. Have it tanked and paint the outside and mask the areas you don't want to rust and let it sit outside for a year or so. My experience with muriatic acid is the metal is very active and will start to rust again immediately after pulling it out and drying it off. NHRA doesn't let you paint the interior of the intakes or any coatings, so it will need to be removed before teardown. Maybe you can find out what Waltrip used on his Tyoder manifold years ago?
Posted By: LSP

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/29/10 10:05 PM

Quote:

I remember a Pro Stock racer was letting the car body sit outside to rust and then cleaned it up with muriatic (HCl) acid. I think it was Glidden, but maybe you could do that with your intake. Have it tanked and paint the outside and mask the areas you don't want to rust and let it sit outside for a year or so. My experience with muriatic acid is the metal is very active and will start to rust again immediately after pulling it out and drying it off. NHRA doesn't let you paint the interior of the intakes or any coatings, so it will need to be removed before teardown. Maybe you can find out what Waltrip used on his Tyoder manifold years ago?

Sterno, heard he had so much in there that they just threw the jets away.......LOL
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/29/10 10:41 PM

True - any chemicals use must not only be flushed, but neutralized with baking soda, etc. (reverse pH factor). Test water must come back 7.0.
The acid-dipped S/S and steel funny cars all disintegrated into piles of dust, except the one (Landy?) who neutralized his.
It's almost cost-effective in supplies (the acid actually used is much, but you need a lot for the fill), but it's labor intensive and scary to do, and dangerous.
Posted By: ademon

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/30/10 06:23 AM

No acid experience here, but i did modify my 71 340 intake, milled the divider and blended the plenum area, tried best i could to radius the "90's " in the ports, gasket matched also, there was a lot of metal removed just from the gasket match. probably got 30 to 40 hours in the intake and about $20, looked into thermo coatings and was quoted $120 to do the bottom of the intake and the carb flange area but i passed. your best bet is to at least deep port gasket match it.

Attached picture 6061145-71Demon340(90).jpg

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/30/10 06:23 AM

2'nd

Attached picture 6061146-71Demon340(92).jpg

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/30/10 06:24 AM

Attached picture 6061147-71Demon340(94).jpg

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/30/10 06:25 AM

last

Attached picture 6061148-71Demon340(96).jpg
Posted By: moeflo

Re: acid ported intake manifold - 06/30/10 11:54 AM

You'll come out better to get a good aluminum dual-plane and do what ademon did to his. Remove the brand name from the outside and paint it. If you're not in a car-show or stock eliminator, nobody will likely notice. They're better to start with. You'll have more power and will save a fair amount of front end weight.
© 2024 Moparts Forums