Moparts

What waste gate??

Posted By: 76dodgeboy

What waste gate?? - 06/25/10 07:39 AM

Whats waste gate should I get? Stock 318 or slant six. Most likely the 318 First. I have a Holset H1E and an intercooler and very little piping. What else will I need. Waste gate, bov, Blow through carb What carb is recomended aswell
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/25/10 12:27 PM

Depending on the amount of boost you might get by w/ just a POV. I ran 6psi on a S/C 440 and used a POV for a Audi turbo. As for a crab call somebody like Scott at SDCE or the guy at ExtremeAir. Both will help you get it right.
Posted By: dodge turbo

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/27/10 04:12 PM

38mm is fine...that should be on the flange on the kit i sold you...40-50mm is fine on the bov...you can get them cheap from vs racing on turbomustangs...just the x02 brand you dont need high dollar stuff

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/27/10 07:37 PM

Where exactly does the waste gate go. Just before the turbo or after? I was going to sell most of it but changed my mind. I want a turbocharged truck. Itll all be pretty mild to start with. I have an 80 St Regis copcar 318/4bbl that I plan to use.
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/27/10 09:04 PM

Hello,

Wastegate is after the turbo. It diverts the air from the pressure side to the exhaust for overboost conditions such as limiting boost and between shifts among a couple others.

Damon

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/27/10 09:31 PM

Anyone have pics? Im still fairly new to turbos and want to get it rite when I start. Thanks
Posted By: 1badx

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/27/10 10:22 PM

Quote:

Hello,

Wastegate is after the turbo. It diverts the air from the pressure side to the exhaust for overboost conditions such as limiting boost and between shifts among a couple others.

Damon

The wastegate needs to go before the turbo! It diverts exhaust gas away from the turbine to prevent overboosting during engine acceleration.

I believe Damon meant to say a "blow off valve or BOV" (not a wastegate) goes in the charge pipe to limit compressor surge when closing the throttle blades as can occur during shifts.

Here's a pic of a wastegate flange location on an import engine. Same concept on your car, somewhere before the turbine side of the turbo.

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/27/10 10:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,

Damon

The wastegate needs to go before the turbo! It diverts exhaust gas away from the turbine to prevent overboosting during engine acceleration.

I believe Damon meant to say a "blow off valve or BOV" (not a wastegate) goes in the charge pipe to limit compressor surge when closing the throttle blades as can occur during shifts.

Here's a pic of a wastegate flange location on an import engine. Same concept on your car, somewhere before the turbine side of the turbo.

I was alittle confused there. I knew the bov was after the turbo. Should the BOV be close to the carb/throtle body or anywhere after the intercooler Thanks
Posted By: joshking440

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/28/10 12:04 AM

The wastegate is before the turbo, and likes to be oriented in a manner that the exhaust can run right into the gate on its way to the...see the picture for explanation

The bov can go just before the carb/throttle body and is always closed and uses vacuum to open it

a lot of guys put the bov before the intercooler, others do it after, myself there is no intercooler to worry about yet

Attached picture 6057224-finishedexhaust.jpg

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/28/10 12:10 AM

bov pic if you needed

Attached picture 6057233-finishedturbo.jpg
Posted By: CW25

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/28/10 12:12 AM

I have my BOV after the intercooler. It is there for packaging reasons. Pretty much any wastegate would work with that combo. Ebay has cheap ones.
Posted By: 1badx

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/28/10 12:35 AM

Like CW said, buy a cheap gate for your combo, it will work just fine. Try SS Autochrome or Ebay
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/28/10 04:54 AM

If you have an intercooler BOV should be after it...

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/28/10 11:57 PM

Why do people comment when they have no clue what they are talking about gets me for sure....

Wastegate is before the turbo and as close as you can get it to the turbo or merge area, it vents exhaust way from the turbo to get the boost you desire....BOV is before the carb or injection. i dont think it really matters if its before or after the intercooler, mine is after, close to the carb, and you should always have one. It prevents compressor surge which will damage a turbo. i have X02 wastegate (60mm)and Bov(50mm) and have less than 250 invested for both of them and they work awesome, they are HKS knockoffs and would recomment with any cheap knockoff to take it apart and clean lube it well. i got both of them from Vsracing.net a site sponsor on turbomustangs.com

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/29/10 01:34 AM

Quote:

Hello,

Damon

pay no attention to any advice from this guy

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/29/10 03:52 AM

I was pretty sure its before. I ment where or how close to before the turbo.
Posted By: CW25

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/29/10 04:28 AM

Quote:

Like dodge turbo said after the merge before the turbo. Mine is about 3" from the turbo just make sure you vent both sides of the engine not just one.

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/30/10 05:54 AM

Quote:

38mm is fine...that should be on the flange on the kit i sold you...40-50mm is fine on the bov...you can get them cheap from vs racing on turbomustangs...just the x02 brand you dont need high dollar stuff

What Flang? The pic of it onstalled on your motor had a spacer between the manifold and the turbo with the bov but I dont believe I got that? Circled

Attached picture 6061134-turboforsale1.1.jpg

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/30/10 06:06 AM

Would this work for the BOV
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Im going to checkout the tiurbo stang forum aswell

Attached picture 6061139-rs-bov-rs-rd-fp-dg250_g.jpg
Posted By: feets

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/30/10 07:36 PM

That will work. It will also be most annoying. See the trumpets? They'll hoot and holler every time you let off the throttle.
Ricers flock to them. It's like a fart pipe muffler for the intake.
Find one without a trumpet and it'll be much easier to live with.

Factory turbo cars usually route the BOV back into the air filter to silence them.

On the wastegate, think of it as a short cut. When boost gets too high they open up and let exhaust sneak around the turbo and straight into the exhaust pipe. Again, smoother is better on the plumbing.

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/30/10 10:13 PM

I like the sound of a BOV . I like noisy geardrive aswell. When you drive crap like I have that rattles or whistles because of bad door seals and no radio less stuff bothers ya. Thanks

Re: What waste gate?? - 06/30/10 11:54 PM

yes i sent you that spacer when i sold that too you....and that is the wastegate...the bov is by the carb..

that was set up ran 7psi fine all the time with no creep at all and a masterpower 70mm turbo and that 38mm wastegate...

That H1E i sold you will fit right on there and is t-4 flanged and is about 67mm in size if a rember

Re: What waste gate?? - 07/01/10 12:25 AM

Never got that flange with it. Ill double check tomorrow but Im sure I didnt

Re: What waste gate?? - 07/01/10 08:32 PM

Ok I apparently never really dug throught the box Its there. So I need a 2 bolt waste gate for that piece than correct? so do I plum the exhaust tube from the wg back into the downpipe somewhere or just let it dump where ever? Thanks

Re: What waste gate?? - 07/01/10 09:18 PM

thats a 38mm wastegate flange for a 38mm wastegate...you can plumb it into the down pipe or cut a small hole in the inner fender well or route a pipe off it to underneath the fender well and vent it

Re: What waste gate?? - 07/01/10 10:56 PM

Sweet
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: What waste gate?? - 07/05/10 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,

Damon

Hello,

Yea, I stated it incorrectly. Sorry! Was in a big hurry.
What is up your back side Josh? Thanks for the personal attack.

Damon
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: What waste gate?? - 07/06/10 05:56 AM

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: What waste gate?? - 07/06/10 06:16 PM

Quote:

Can be as close as you want. Some turbos have their own internal wastegate built into the exhaust housing side of the turbo.

Re: What waste gate?? - 07/06/10 11:03 PM

I have a flange that it goes on. I didnt see it in the box when I got it so the location is taken care of now
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: What waste gate?? - 07/21/10 01:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,

Yea, I stated it incorrectly. Sorry! Was in a big hurry.
What is up your back side Josh? Thanks for the personal attack.

Damon

It was a response to the info you typed, not you personally. When you accidentally type incorrect info it can lead someone astray.

However, 'trust but verify' is ultimately the responsibility of the car builder. This is why I'd recommend to any newbie to buy a few books and learn the basics on their own. $75 on 3-4 books is a cheap but wise investment.

Re: What waste gate?? - 01/26/11 08:37 AM

Well I listed my stuff forsale as I dont believe Ill have the time to build a turbo truck and had to sell a couple trucks to downsize and save some money. Plus I dont think I could figure out how to set up the timing, ign or if I should carb or efi and from what Ive seen you guys have for a fuel system I really cant afford that but If I dont atleast get what I have in the parts Ill just hold on to it.

I have the H1E Turbo, the turbo manifold the wg Flange an intercooler, down pipe and a crossover pipe to conect both manifolds. What else would I need to finish?

Waste Gate, BOV, Carb or EFI, piping
What would be best carb or EFI and what for the fuel system and how to make it retard or advance when needed?
I really dont want to get rid of this stuff but I can find another truck cheap as I'd rather have the truck look beat for the ultimate sleeper. Any thoughts and encouragement

Re: What waste gate?? - 01/27/11 08:06 AM

Should I fuel inj or carb? What ign system? This will help me decide as I can finish the engine side of it and run the piping etc when I find the truck to use. Thanks

Re: What waste gate?? - 01/27/11 08:25 PM

Carb or EFI is personal choice and based on budget. Carb can be cheap or can be spendy. EFI is even spendier (at a minimum).

Earlier someone recommended to get a few books on turbos. Books will contain far better info than you'll get on the internet, and you can read them on the crapper to maximize your time. Fewer typos of where to mount a wastegate (and Corky Bell's book shows examples of good and bad wastegate plumbing).

Re: What waste gate?? - 01/28/11 01:33 AM

Thanks. I believe I have his book and I have another. I haven't read his yet but did some of the other.

Re: What waste gate?? - 01/28/11 07:09 PM

Corky's pretty downbeat on carbs, he thinks EFI is the only choice for forced induction. There is the assumption that port-EFI gives perfect cylinder-cylinder fuel distribution (which it probably can), but that's only ideal if you have perfect air distribution (which you probably won't).

Plenty of blow-thru carbs running successfully out there. Visit:
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?board=13.0 (the blowthru carb section)
and
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?board=21.0 (the Mopar section)
And remember, the easiest way to reach a performance goal is to pattern after someone who's already done it:
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=50928.175 (the 'builds' section)

Re: What waste gate?? - 01/28/11 07:30 PM

Thanks. My main thing is I dont understand the whole ign thing when boosted. I know there are carbs out there for boosted aps or one can be modified. Its funny that when I first got this setup everyone wanted the manifold but nobody has contacted me on it. Not a big deal to me. Thanks for the info and links. Ill try to find a book for carb apps.

Re: What waste gate?? - 01/28/11 08:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks. My main thing is I dont understand the whole ign thing when boosted.

'Ign when boosted' is somewhat simple. Generally you want to reduce timing when under boost, usually a few degrees per lb of boost. Look up the MSD BTM (boost timing master) for more info.

You can probably find better explanations out there, but the overview:
The burning of gasoline in a cylinder is actually a controlled burn, not an explosion as we would normally think of.
Detonation is an uncontrolled 2nd explosion in the cylinder, after the spark and from the other side of the cylinder, and the collision of the 2 flame fronts cause incredible cylinder pressure near TDC.
Detonation is a killer of boosted engines.
Hot temps, lean mixtures, hotspots, etc, can lead to detonation.
Denser mixtures require less ign advance because the flame front jumps across the fuel particles faster and in a controlled manner (ideally, anyway).
Lean mixtures have further to jump, and require more time for it, so they need more advance.

So, in a boosted engine, you have a nice dense mixture in a cylinder that is surely hotter than it was as NA, so you reduce the advance because you don't need it and you don't want it.
Quote:

Its funny that when I first got this setup everyone wanted the manifold but nobody has contacted me on it. Not a big deal to me.

I saw a smallblock turbo manifold in teh Swap section recently for $350 IIRC. If that one's yours, the price may have doused people's interest in it. Although there aren't a lot of those manifolds out there and market price is hard to establish, $350 might make guys look for cheaper options. Just IMHO.

Re: What waste gate?? - 01/28/11 09:09 PM

Well considering there aren't that many and I have close to $1000 for everything listed the price for the manifold won't come down much wich is fine with me. I'm not going to loose a bunch of money. Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums