Moparts

M/T Street Drag Radial Users

Posted By: Kudakidd

M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/24/10 11:24 PM

I bought a pair slightly used (255/60-15) for a great price. Here's the help I need. What psi do you use on the street? At the drags? And is there any other tire characteristics I should know about. Thanks in advance, KK
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/24/10 11:34 PM

I ran 28-30 on the street with mine,and14-ish at the strip@ 3200 lbs..Start around 16 and go down from there,it depends on car weight,etc.
M/T says no less than 12 psi if I remember correctly.
Posted By: caper

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/24/10 11:44 PM

My car is 3800 lbs , I run 19 lbs at the strip
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 12:24 AM

35 psi on the street, 18 on the strip.
Posted By: 65signet

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 12:28 AM

28 on the street and 20 work good at the track over 3300 pd car, but if you race a lot they will not last long, just FYI
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 12:30 AM

18psi, street or strip, hooks everytime...
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 12:50 AM

16-21 depending on where I need my lights to be.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 01:42 AM

Quote:

I bought a pair slightly used (255/60-15) for a great price. Here's the help I need. What psi do you use on the street? At the drags? And is there any other tire characteristics I should know about. Thanks in advance, KK

I didn't like them. They shed lots of rubber during a burn-out. They would get "gummy". Could never get a feel for them - hooking or not. Be prepared to remove lots of rubber from your 1/4's.

Attached picture 6053293-Picture005.jpg

chico - 06/25/10 01:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't like them. They shed lots of rubber during a burn-out. They would get "gummy". Could never get a feel for them - hooking or not. Be prepared to remove lots of rubber from your 1/4's.

Speaking of burn outs, do they like short ones or long John Force types?
Posted By: codfish

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 01:48 AM

Quote:

My car is 3800 lbs , I run 19 lbs at the strip

HOLY COW your car is a pig

That's a heavy Dart. But I really dig it

I usually use 18-19 pounds too.

codfish

Re: chico - 06/25/10 02:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tried it both ways and lots of different tire pressures and never got a handle on them. Went to Hoosier Quick Pros and spend a lot less time cleaning my 1/4's.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 02:11 AM

Quote:

,and14-ish at the strip@ 3200 lbs..Start around 16 and go down from there,

Absolutely not.. Start at 20 and adjust from there.. I took someones advice and tried to drop the air pressure to 15 and the car would not hook at all..

Quote:

Be prepared to remove lots of rubber from your 1/4's.

True Dat!!!! These things are aweful during burnouts.. One time I did a show off move and a monster burnout at the Cannery during Vegas a couple years back.. It took me over 2 hours to clean the rubber boogers off..

But, I have found if you spray the 1/4's with Tri-flow or WD-40 prior to a burnout, it doesnt stick as well and cleans up very easy with a little kerosene..

Quote:

I have found a decent smoky burnout first thing in the morning and then just a quick little heat-up for the rest of the day works best..
Posted By: daithi2

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 01:53 PM

24# street 12# strip. one hard burnout for first one and very light burnouts after that. usually dont get a good hook until 2nd or 3rd pass.
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 04:17 PM

I love my E/T Radials.

35 lbs on the street / 17 lbs at the track. I found that anything lower didn't hook any better but slowed me down at the stripe. Below 15 lbs and they started to feel 'squirrely'.

I also need a good, healthy burnout to hook them. My old E/T Streets (bias-ply) only needed a light burnout, but the radials need to be hot.

I'm on my 2n set. Ran the first ones until the cords started showing.

Attached picture 6054045-Valiantburn-out.jpg

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 04:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's why you make polished stainless steel mud flaps............

Attached picture 6054048-rear-mudflap.JPG
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 04:25 PM

Quote:

Phill, how well did they hook on the street??
Posted By: RonP

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 04:29 PM

I run the 325/50-15's and I normally run 15psi. I am 3380 race wieght and have been 1.29 60's foot braking in cold weather. Normal 60's this time of year are 1.32. The do shread some rubber, but I see guys burning them way too much. As with everything else the cahssis setup will play a factor.

On a good track, as soon as they bring the motor down (sometimes hardly smoke at all) I roll out. I run consistent 6.teens in the 1/8 and have been 6.02 and 9.50's in the 1/4. I am on my 5th set and won't even consider anything else. car is deadly consistent. the driver? not so much
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 04:29 PM

Quote:

you mean "flaming blobs of rubbah" flaps, of course.
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 04:37 PM

Hey Ron,

How do they hook on the street???? Still LOVE that duster!!!!

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 06:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Awesome ride!
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 07:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Phill, how well did they hook on the street??

Mike, how fast is your car? Does it have a problem spinning the tire? The old cuda if I hammered it hard on the street would spin but just let off and it would hook and keep the power on. I see you just put SS springs on, The cuda just has 02/03 SS springs with no snubber, clamped the front leafs, I think the pinion is down 5*. 1.36 60' times....I wouldnt run any other tire on that car then the MT street radial. I also have gone through 4 or 5 sets of them my self....Phill

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 08:22 PM

Thanks.

Attached picture 6054289-engineatNats.JPG
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 09:07 PM

I tried them for the first time at Magnolia and they just went up in smoke at 16 PSI I didn't try to adjust them though,I just went back to the truck and got out the trusty old M/T drag slicks.Then I hooked better but still not good so it might have been the track
Gus
Posted By: 73swinger

Re: M/T Street Drag Radial Users - 06/25/10 09:27 PM

Either I'm odd, or my car is too weak, I run 24-25# 1 good burnout then just clean them.
mid to upper 12sec 1/4 mi Dart
I drive alot on the street, but I don't hammer it there,don't like hearing everything in the street hit the quarters. I think street hammering would shorten tire life faster than the track.

chico - 06/26/10 02:26 AM

Anyone ever get caught in the rain with these on? How do they feel in that situation?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: chico - 06/26/10 02:51 AM

I was on wet roads with mine and it was no problem if you just use your head.I might add that I have a spool on the Dana and a hair trigger metallic clutch
Gus
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: chico - 06/26/10 12:43 PM

Quote:

Anyone ever get caught in the rain with these on? How do they feel in that situation?

They're fine as long as you don't get stupid with them. I do have a set of Cooper street tires that I switch to when I'm not going to the track for a while. That makes the M/T's last a whole lot longer.
© 2024 Moparts Forums