Moparts

Front wheel wobble after wheelie??

Posted By: crooksduster

Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/03/10 04:40 PM

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what causes this and what I can do to fix the problem. My front end is stock with 90/10 shocks and is probably pretty warn out. If u pause/play the video, its pretty scary how bad it wobbles in and out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_mSJcJBFmQ
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/03/10 04:46 PM

check for worn front suspension parts. I would replace the shocks if they are old and worn out.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/03/10 04:47 PM

Just the standard toe change... do a toe curve to
see what you have.... assuming you have good parts
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/03/10 04:50 PM

Quote:

check for worn front suspension parts. I would replace the shocks if they are old and worn out.

plus not enough caster.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/03/10 11:57 PM

check that steering box for excessive play too..what a wobble when it came down...check those tierod ends out as well...

time for a front end rebuild or replacement..
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/04/10 12:48 PM

Whenever I've had that problem,its always been the idler arm bushing.Disconnect the idler arm from the draglink and see if there's any play in the bushing.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/04/10 05:04 PM

Mine does exactly the same thing, all the front suspension pieces are new..... except the idler arm bushing
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/04/10 06:24 PM

Quote:

Mine does exactly the same thing, all the front suspension pieces are new..... except the idler arm bushing

thats the first place I would look
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/04/10 11:23 PM

I always thought it was bump steer. A lot of the SS/AH cars do this. Would a stiffer idler bushing help/eliminate the problem? I need to rebuild the front end on my 1969 Barracuda, so I could make the changes while I have it all apart.
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/05/10 12:02 AM

same thing here, with all new parts. i have'nt really looked closely to see if i can do this yet, but in my mind i'd like to put the tie rods on the top of the spindle by means of a heim joint on the outers and ream the spindles out to accept a shouldered bolt. that would keep the alignment straighter.
Posted By: Lil Wedge

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/05/10 01:42 AM

Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/05/10 09:23 PM

Quote:

I always thought it was bump steer. A lot of the SS/AH cars do this. Would a stiffer idler bushing help/eliminate the problem? I need to rebuild the front end on my 1969 Barracuda, so I could make the changes while I have it all apart.

Bingo...bump steer, guys, first all the front end parts must be in tip-top shape, then ya gotta plot the toe changes as the chassis rises and correct it. Time to get out the DC chassis manual; it covers it very well and what to do to correct it.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/06/10 01:57 AM

This is correct, it's a bumpsteer issue. New parts may help, but it won't fix it.

Monte
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Front wheel wobble after wheelie?? - 06/06/10 05:27 AM

Bumpsteer

When you have this the toe is out causing the tires to hit the ground turned out. Then they tug and try to jerk back. The more slack in your steering components and the more it does this.

You can limit travel. This limits some of the characteristics that can't be fixed on a stock front suspension.
© 2024 Moparts Forums