Moparts

odd ball question of the day.

Posted By: 71scamp440

odd ball question of the day. - 06/01/10 01:40 PM

my boss has a 73 duster that he drag races . has a 400 block stroked to a 472. its an alcohol motor. now the problem he is having is new to me . after 3 1/8th mile passes the intake valley pan split down the middle. its about a 7in crack right down the center . this is one of the most bizzare thing ive ever ran into. any ideas on this one???
Posted By: feets

Re: odd ball question of the day. - 06/01/10 03:23 PM

I've had a few of them split on me too. It's caused by pressure inside the crank case. The pan flexes up and down until it fatigues and splits along one of the creases.

You're probably getting a lot of blow by or don't have the engine properly vented.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: odd ball question of the day. - 06/01/10 03:27 PM

Quote:

my boss has a 73 duster that he drag races . has a 400 block stroked to a 472. its an alcohol motor. now the problem he is having is new to me . after 3 1/8th mile passes the intake valley pan split down the middle. its about a 7in crack right down the center . this is one of the most bizzare thing ive ever ran into. any ideas on this one???

Pretty simple really... he is pressurizing the engine
with blow by... the crank case is building pressure
from the air passing the rings... put a gauge on
a valve cover to measure the pressure... a vac pump
will eliminate/correct the problem
Posted By: 71scamp440

Re: odd ball question of the day. - 06/01/10 03:55 PM

i guess this is more common then i thought. thanks for the info guys. i will pass on your info on to my boss and hopefully he will be able to run a full day with out covering his windshield with oil.
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: odd ball question of the day. - 06/01/10 04:33 PM

My brothers old hi comp. 440 would do that. We put the header evac on it and it quit
© 2024 Moparts Forums