Are you happy with them???
Posted By: DerickS

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/29/10 03:52 AM

Quote:

Are you happy with them???

Absolutely! Have been with the same pair for over 10 years
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/29/10 03:54 AM

What do you 60'?? Did you turn the front hanger upside down to lower the rear end??
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/29/10 12:50 PM

Mine have worked great for over 25 years.
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/29/10 01:30 PM

1.36 60' 02/03 with mopar drag shocks, no snubber....Phill
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/29/10 01:57 PM

Have 02/03 on my Duster and they work like a champ. Should I dump my pinion snubber ??
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/29/10 02:01 PM

Quote:

Have 02/03 on my Duster and they work like a champ. Should I dump my pinion snubber ??

Try it without it.... if the front of the spring is
strong enough you wont need the snubber BUT if the
spring gets too much wind up the snubber will help
cover the problem
Posted By: 1Bad440

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/30/10 02:53 AM

002 & 003 Mexican made
Posted By: DerickS

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/30/10 03:04 AM

Quote:

What do you 60'?? Did you turn the front hanger upside down to lower the rear end??

60 foot mid 1.6's did not flip the hanger or lower the rearend....its not a chevy guy!
Posted By: joedust451

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/30/10 06:11 AM

Mike, what springs are you running? Are you thinking of changing them? SS springs do work, but theres other stuff you need to do to make them benifit as i'm sure you know, like setting a steeper pinion angle, good shocks, then setting the rear hangers properly, i just did some mods too my old stock 5 leaf springs & the results are really good, i had NO seperation in back to help plant the tires, so the tires just "skated", at the track i needed to get them hot & then pray they would hook, the main problem was i never put in a snubber back on do to all the Neg. feedback on them, i figured clamping the front segments would be enough, well it obviously wasn't, just last week at the track it was squaling the DRs on the 1-2 shift , never did that before, so just yesterday i installed my homemade snubber figured what the hell, it is sitting just shy of a 1/2" from the floor, that fixed it, it now seperates a good 2-3" back there & plants the tires nicely, so nice it boggs the engine down & hooks, the front end now yanks ups really good, so this might be something you may want to try if you have old springs, i also installed 1/4" thick steel plate 2.1/2 wide x 16" long on the top of the front segments & clamped it all down, & then pulled off the rear straps on the springs, the car acts "totally" different now, it reacts like a mopar

Whatever you decide, good luck with it

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/31/10 01:54 AM

Thanks guys and yes,you too Derrick!!!!

Joe...I have stock springs that are SHOT!!! There bent and broke where the bushing is. A Moparts member from Pa "HOOKED ME UP" with a set of SS 3 weeks ago so I am planning on putting them on.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/31/10 03:44 AM

ss springs work great. i've had a set of 002/003s on my turd FOREVER. they will not die. i moved them into the frame rails, and i run 2" billet lowering blocks, no snubber, and rancho 9000S set on 7 usually. i got a 1.56 60' on drag radials at our iceskating rink last time out.
Posted By: meus31

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/31/10 12:50 PM

I have a customerscar with 02 03 on it 70 duster with 3.5 degrees pinion angle with a pump gas 408 and a 727 and a 8 inch turbo action convertor and 430 its been 10 48 at 126 with a 144 60 ft time . gonna try 4.5 degrees pinion angle gonnaput a set of afco sliders in the back to lower the car hopfully a inch and a half or so it has qa1 shocks all around was also wondering if any of you guys have ever tried any staggered shock settings .a also had lenny at ultimate convertor build a convertor matched for the motor so we will see.

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/31/10 01:25 PM

Quote:

I have a customerscar with 02 03 on it 70 duster with 3.5 degrees pinion angle with a pump gas 408 and a 727 and a 8 inch turbo action convertor and 430 its been 10 48 at 126 with a 144 60 ft time . gonna try 4.5 degrees pinion angle gonnaput a set of afco sliders in the back to lower the car hopfully a inch and a half or so it has qa1 shocks all around was also wondering if any of you guys have ever tried any staggered shock settings .a also had lenny at ultimate convertor build a convertor matched for the motor so we will see.

Whats in the 408?? Any pics of the duster??
Posted By: meus31

Re: SS SPRINGS - 05/31/10 08:39 PM

I will try to get you some pics its a pretty neat car cause the guy bought it when it was like 4 weeks old and hes had it ever since and other than one quarter it retains all it original paint . its a 408 all eagle rotator 10 75 to 1 comp. a super victor intake with a set of ryan ported eddys its a solid roller with around 640 lift and 256 intake duration i beleave 260 exhaust @ 50 it has a quick fuel 850 on it with a 727 trans and a 8 3/4 with 430 in it. not sure of the weight but should now in a week or too. hopefully gonna try all the new stuff this week at the track

Re: SS SPRINGS - 06/04/10 03:29 AM

Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: SS SPRINGS - 06/04/10 03:39 AM

Have them 02/03 as well, 1.40 60ft so far!
Posted By: BobR

Re: SS SPRINGS - 06/04/10 02:01 PM

For 1.50 or slower short times they are fine. For faster cars they are less and less effective the quicker the times. If someone doesn't want to go to the trouble or expense of a real race car suspension CalTracs are the next best option. I can hear the criticism coming but that's my opinion. I, personally, wouldn't use them on anything.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: SS SPRINGS - 06/04/10 05:34 PM

Then what the HE!! am I doin wrong.

i have ss springs, et streets drag radials, 3.91 gears, and a snubber. 4 gear car also, I had summit rear shocks, was told they were too short. I bought the xtra long mopar shocks, they were only 1.5" longer. Havent driven the car since. I was running the air psi all over trying to get them to hook, and the best I could muster was a 1.99 60 ft.

What is the 02/03 all about?

Did I order too stout of spring when i ordered mine? I think I have the 3200lb spring.

Kasey
Posted By: ademon

Re: SS SPRINGS - 06/04/10 05:38 PM

02/03 is the part # left /right spring, the spring with the extra leaf should go on the pass/R side thats why a lot of cars with SS springs sit a bit higher on the pass side.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: SS SPRINGS - 06/04/10 05:43 PM

Got that, I knew they were stacked stiffer on the pass side.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: SS SPRINGS - 06/05/10 03:27 AM

Here's a set of "new" SS springs that were NOT heavy enough. When the car would launch it felt like it was going to roll over on the right door. I ended up adding a extra leaf to the right side. (took the 2nd leaf from the old SS spring and made it the 3rd leaf on new set). The car sits with the RR higher than the left, but it launchs fairly level. 11.5MT's, 4:56 Dana, no snubber, 3200 lbs, Calvert front shocks, 6 cyl torsion bars.
I'm pleased with mine.
Brian

Attached picture 6021385-PinksAllOutCharlotte42009037.JPG

Re: SS SPRINGS - 06/05/10 03:28 AM

another

Attached picture 6021386-IMG_0830.JPG

Re: SS SPRINGS WITH FLOATERS???? - 06/11/10 02:13 PM

I have been reading some posts and online about floaters and thought id ask if any of you use floaters WITH your SS springs???

Re: SS SPRINGS WITH FLOATERS???? - 06/11/10 05:09 PM

Quote:

I have been reading some posts and online about floaters and thought id ask if any of you use floaters WITH your SS springs???

I'm not aware of anyone doing that. The floaters are used when you have leaf springs AND ladder bar/4 link set. Now days you can buy a set of coil over shocks relativly inexpencive. Add a dia bar and no need for heavy springs.

Brian

Re: SS SPRINGS WITH FLOATERS???? - 06/13/10 01:02 AM

Thanks.

Re: SS SPRINGS WITH FLOATERS???? - 06/13/10 04:13 AM

What I meant was sliders,NOT floaters!!!

Re: SS SPRINGS WITH FLOATERS???? - 06/28/10 01:10 AM

My old leafs are out and my SS springs will be in hopefully tomorrow night or at least this week. My new front hangers will be here tomorrow too.

I have 2 questions.
1, Which spring on which side??? (002/003)
2, What pinion angle do I need??
Posted By: tubtar

Re: SS SPRINGS WITH FLOATERS???? - 06/28/10 01:17 AM

02/03 is the part # left /right spring, the spring with the extra leaf should go on the pass/R side thats why a lot of cars with SS springs sit a bit higher on the pass side.

Quoted from a half dozen posts up.
As for pinion angle , I am shooting for 3 down to start and will shim till happy.
I am using sliders , but am still a ways from putting laps on it.
On paper , they are a fine idea.
We'll be finding out how good of an idea it is on concrete pretty soon I hope.
Posted By: 383man

383man - 06/28/10 02:17 AM

I have the 3400 lb springs on my 63 and they work great for me. C-body long shocks and no snubber. Ron

Re: 383man - 07/01/10 03:11 AM

Well,my SS springs are FINALLY in!!!!! A BIG thanks goes out to my buddy John who helped me take the old leafs out and put in the new leafs!!!!!!

I do have a question...On the purch theres 3 holes,we put the dowel pin on the leafs in the middle hole and it looks like it moved my rear forward a inch or so.
My question is...Can I move it back to the back hole to get my tires more clearance in the front of the wheel well???

Re: 383man - 07/01/10 05:07 AM

Quote:

Well,my SS springs are FINALLY in!!!!! A BIG thanks goes out to my buddy who helped me take the old leafs out and put in the new leafs!!!!!!

I do have a question...On the purch theres 3 holes,we put the dowel pin on the leafs in the middle hole and it looks like it moved my rear forward a inch or so.
My question is...Can I move it back to the back hole to get my tires more clearance in the front of the wheel well???

They should be in the middle hole, so thats ok, if i remember, the SS springs will have the Pin alittle more forward then on the stock springs, i'm sure they did this for better spring control & less wrap-up, If the tires clear, you should be good to go

Mike, make sure you check pinion angle, see where the trans tail shaft is at, then adjust from there, shoot for a bare minimum of -4, also make sure the rear hangers are in the 10:00 & 4:00 a clock position, top 10:00, bottom 4:00.

Re: 383man - 07/01/10 01:03 PM

I havent set up the pinion angle as of yet. Im still putting my motor together and when thats done we will put the motor/tranny in together. As of right now,it is 7 degrees.

So,CAN I move the rear back and put the SS pin in the back hole of the purch???

Re: 383man - 07/01/10 07:08 PM

Anyone????
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: 383man - 07/01/10 07:33 PM

Quote:

I havent set up the pinion angle as of yet. Im still putting my motor together and when thats done we will put the motor/tranny in together. As of right now,it is 7 degrees.

I`ve never tried that but wouldn`t that mess up the u-bolt location in terms of how it clamps to the housing?
Posted By: sshemi

Re: 383man - 07/01/10 08:53 PM

Quote:

sure you can but you will have to offset the hole in the lower plate the same amount

Re: 383man - 07/01/10 09:11 PM

Quote:

Why not put spacers at the front of the front hanger
to move it back

Re: 383man - 07/02/10 02:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Why not put spacers at the front of the front hanger
to move it back

Now THATS a GREAT idea!!!!

Re: 383man - 07/02/10 04:50 AM

Mike, i wouldn't try & move the rear back, if anything, you want to move it forward, Remember the "altered" Mopars back in the 60s, they move the rear forward for a reason , if you still have tire clearance in the stock position (which you should) just leave it be.

Re: 383man - 07/02/10 02:09 PM

Quote:

Mike, i wouldn't try & move the rear back, if anything, you want to move it forward, Remember the "altered" Mopars back in the 60s, they move the rear forward for a reason , if you still have tire clearance in the stock position (which you should) just leave it be.

Joe...I do have clearance but with these new SS springs,my 1/4 is sitting about 2" higher than before. I need new QTP's so I thought I would go from 28" tall to 29" tall to FILL IN the wheel well. If I do that,I would need to move the rear back about an 1".

Re: 383man - 07/02/10 02:21 PM

Quote:

They also moved the wheel house forward to go along
with the tire... sure it would be great to move the
axle forward but if you dont want to move everything
it usually causes a clearance issue.... JMO

Re: 383man - 07/02/10 04:32 PM

Right now I have about 1/2" of clearance between the front of the 1/4 and my tire. I want about a 1" so I can run 29" tall QTP's so I think the spacers in front of the hangers will work!!!! .
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: 383man - 07/02/10 07:57 PM

i posted about spacing the spring back about 2 weeks ago.had some pics of cpacer...i will put them in this weekend.I PROMISE!

Attached picture 6065775-100_4159.jpg
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: 383man - 07/02/10 08:50 PM

if i remember right every inch forward is worth 50lbs more on the rear, moving the rear back an inch is 50lbs less, i would be making room for them bigger tires and keeping the extra or atleast not losing 50lbs on the rear

Re: 383man - 07/02/10 10:15 PM

I measured my tire and the space between the front/back of 1/4. I have 1" in the front and 2 3/8" in the back. A 29" QTP still may fit leaving everything the way it is.

Re: 383man - 07/03/10 05:38 AM

Quote:

if i remember right every inch forward is worth 50lbs more on the rear, moving the rear back an inch is 50lbs less, i would be making room for them bigger tires and keeping the extra or atleast not losing 50lbs on the rear

This is exactly what i was talking about, plus it will also have more of the car to transfer weight, which is very important when trying to achieve as much traction as possible, big mistake in my book "unless" its just a street cruiser & you never intend to race it.

Mike, why not keep the 28" tires, they should be more then enough for what your doing, there are guys running in the 9s on a 28" tire with BB A bodies, a bunch running in the 10s.
Posted By: bp27

Re: 383man - 07/03/10 03:57 PM

Mike if you end up with less tha 1/2" you should get the solid front leaf spring bushing. So your tire does not hit the 1/4.

Re: 383man - 07/05/10 02:53 AM

Joe...I want to fill in the wheel well,thats why the 29"
Bp...Good info...THANKS!!!

Re: 383man - 07/06/10 02:26 AM

Quote:

Mike if you end up with less tha 1/2" you should get the solid front leaf spring bushing. So your tire does not hit the 1/4.

Should I get them for the back too??

Re: 383man - 07/06/10 02:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Should I get them for the back too??

Not needed in the back just the front leaf spring bushing

Attached picture 6070859-dustermike.jpg

Re: 383man - 07/09/10 02:04 PM

Thanks Bob!!!!

Re: 383man - 07/09/10 02:33 PM

Your welcome Mike. I found out the hard way. I kill a new set of Hoosier

Re: 383man - 07/09/10 02:40 PM

Quote: