Moparts

Pushrod deflection question.

Posted By: PUNK

Pushrod deflection question. - 05/18/10 01:44 AM

I understand that there are many variable that dictate how much a pushrod will deflect such as overall length, width, wall thickness, valve spring pressure, valve train component weight, RPM of the engine, heat treatment, and construction material of the pushrod; but is there a general number to use for factoring actual valve lift when teh engine is operating? I know its complicated to say based on so many variables, but is it safe to say that a pushrod will deflect .020" regardless of all these variables? .030", .040". Lets say a 3/8 pushrod with a .080" wall thickness with an overall length of 7.75". Would it be safe to say at 650 pounds of open spring pressure that the pushrod will deflect a minimum of .020??....Or what as a minimum. Im not asking for absolutes, basically what as a minimum could be expected.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Pushrod deflection question. - 05/18/10 01:51 AM

Mock one up with the pushrods in question using light springs, measured the lift at the retainers at +.100, +.200 and so on and then switch to the actual valve springs and measure them again slowly. See how much net loss there is If you can swith pushrods to a thicker wall or a bigger diameter with the same wall thickness and check them
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Pushrod deflection question. - 05/18/10 02:41 AM

Terry at Manton told me min of 10 thou.If deflection occurs,the heads will act like guide bars.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Pushrod deflection question. - 05/18/10 03:28 AM

No matter what a test shows, it's much more running.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Pushrod deflection question. - 05/18/10 03:45 AM

Quote:

I understand that there are many variable that dictate how much a pushrod will deflect such as overall length, width, wall thickness, valve spring pressure, valve train component weight, RPM of the engine, heat treatment, and construction material of the pushrod; but is there a general number to use for factoring actual valve lift when teh engine is operating? I know its complicated to say based on so many variables, but is it safe to say that a pushrod will deflect .020" regardless of all these variables? .030", .040". Lets say a 3/8 pushrod with a .080" wall thickness with an overall length of 7.75". Would it be safe to say at 650 pounds of open spring pressure that the pushrod will deflect a minimum of .020??....Or what as a minimum. Im not asking for absolutes, basically what as a minimum could be expected.

http://www.engineersedge.com/column_buckling/column_ideal.htm

No difference on the heat treatment. Almost all steels have the same modulus or within a few percent. The equation listed is not the exact equation because it's pinned, but still will give you an idea of the important parameters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Pushrod deflection question. - 05/18/10 04:27 AM

Quote:

Terry at Manton told me min of 10 thou.If deflection occurs,the heads will act like guide bars.

That`s how it`s been working w/my rpm heads. I saw that they were close but figured that it was a built in guide bar of sort and so far after many street miles, passes and 5+ years it must be ok. Granted they were CLOSE but not touching as far as I can tell.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Pushrod deflection question. - 05/18/10 07:33 AM

I am going off memory, but thought I observed .020 to .022 loss with the old 3/8 heavy wall pushrods from Indy, new 1/2 inch tool steel lost .010. Both tests were with 340 lbs on the seat.
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: Pushrod deflection question. - 05/19/10 12:49 AM

3/8 .080" wall pushrods with 650lb spring pressure will possibly deflect a heck of a lot more than .020" , will look like bananas when you pull em out , @ least shoot for .145" wall if using 3/8th.

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Pushrod deflection question. - 05/19/10 01:07 AM

Quote:

3/8 .080" wall pushrods with 650lb spring pressure will possibly deflect a heck of a lot more than .020" , will look like bananas when you pull em out , @ least shoot for .145" wall if using 3/8th.

I've never seen any where near that... I use a 3/8
tapered to 5/16 .080 wall moly 7.2 long PR and I
have about .035 clearance to the PR with 800# at
lift... never seen any marks on the PR or the head...
maybe I'm just lucky

Posted By: 602heavy

Re: Pushrod deflection question. - 05/19/10 01:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I've never seen any where near that... I use a 3/8
tapered to 5/16 .080 wall moly 7.2 long PR and I
have about .035 clearance to the PR with 800# at
lift... never seen any marks on the PR or the head...
maybe I'm just lucky

Just my , although i was refering to 9 3/4 long PR.
Posted By: vcummins

Re: Pushrod deflection question. - 05/19/10 12:40 PM

Quote:

Lot depends on the cam ramp. roller with 260-280 @ 50 with 650 over the nose your on seat is around 260-270. You don't want to use the block or head for A guide. If you can run 3/8 rods that's A plus and make them .120 wall. with the new cam profiles you need wall thickness to keep the p rod from acting like A leaf spring storing energy and unloading on the closing side of the lobe and bouncing the lifter off the cam at the base. I have been there
Posted By: PUNK

Re: Pushrod deflection question. - 05/19/10 11:51 PM

Quote:

I was just using a standard 3/8 pushrod as an example. The ones im using in the new engine are Manton Series 5, 3/8, .145 wall straight pushrods. Thanks for all the responses guys. Just trying to figure out what may be a good number to use as a pushrod deflection number to figure the actual lift at the valve. There are more variables, but this is one that Ive heard many different sides of the story on.

Attached picture 5992185-1003phr_01_o+1969_plymouth_barracuda+passenger_side_front.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums