Moparts

Tig Welding Practice........

Posted By: STEFF

Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/17/10 04:57 PM

I thought I would post some pics of a Ford 9" Housing I just finished. I've been helping a friend of mine do chassiswork for his company KB Race Cars, over the last 3 or so years & I've tig welded very sparingly, since I wasn't experienced enuff for customer's cars. So, with the some of the earned money from the last project we just finished in March, I bought a brand new Lincoln Precision Tig 225 & I LOVE it!! Now, I can practice all I want.

Now back to the 9" Housing. It is for a street car I'm building for myself. I picked up a truck housing, back braced it, installed all of the ladder bar & panhard bar bracketry, fill plug & drain plug & some tubing gussets for some "cool" factor". I've never done any of this axle housing fab stuff before & I'm extrememly proud of how it came out.

Here's some pics:

Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/17/10 05:05 PM

Looks great! I'm shopping for a new welder as well. Looking at the Lincoln and a Syncowave 200-250. Good to hear you like the Lincoln.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/17/10 06:47 PM

Looks great! Nice fab work.
Posted By: tonycpe

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/17/10 06:52 PM

Lookin real good!
And for a street car , wow
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/17/10 07:06 PM

Man,nice lookin beads, STEFF! really nice!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/17/10 07:09 PM

Looks good Steff... with some practice you will be
able to keep the heat the same(the blue color line)
nice job... what ya building now
Posted By: MuscleMike

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/17/10 07:10 PM

Where does the pinion snubber go?

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/17/10 07:28 PM

Quote:

Where does the pinion snubber go?

I just spit my beverage all over my work computor with that comment, Mike!! LOL!!
Posted By: 70SWGR

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/18/10 06:14 AM

Looks good Steff
When the puddle starts dancing around just move the torch a little faster plus your filler wire can help control the puddle also.
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/18/10 09:24 AM

Nice job Steff!
Posted By: Dartman928

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/18/10 12:47 PM

Looks great Steff
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/18/10 02:04 PM

Lookin good. I am trying to learn this very skill myself. My son already has the skills I am tryign to catch up.
Posted By: Bubba

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/18/10 03:25 PM

nice.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/18/10 04:43 PM

Quote:

Lookin good. I am trying to learn this very skill myself. My son already has the skills I am tryign to catch up.

no, no you've got it wrong Al. if he already has the skills what you're supposed to do is deliberately screw up everything you weld and point it out to him. that way he'll take care of all the welding leaving you free to do other things. Bill Cosby once spoke of this principal.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/18/10 05:13 PM

Quote:

Looks good Steff... with some practice you will be
able to keep the heat the same(the blue color line)
nice job... what ya building now

I would bet it's more that he welded in smaller stretches so as to not warp or pull out of alighnment the two parts being welded.

After your done there Steff come down here and finish my junk. Looks good man.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/18/10 07:35 PM

Looks great I too was proud that I tubbed my dart,moved the springs in and did most of the welding myself although mine doesn`t look as good as yours but, it`s still holding up.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/19/10 02:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

no, no you've got it wrong Al. if he already has the skills what you're supposed to do is deliberately screw up everything you weld and point it out to him. that way he'll take care of all the welding leaving you free to do other things. Bill Cosby once spoke of this principal.

SHHHHHH...He lurks on here all the time

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/20/10 12:21 AM

Thanx for the kind words Fella's!! I'll post a few pics of the Housing when it comes back from Powder Coat.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/20/10 12:23 AM

Did you weld it on a jig? My Dana was crooked as a dog's hind leg after welding on it. I would check for sure, before powdercoat. By the way, looks good.

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/20/10 01:17 AM

Quote:

Did you weld it on a jig? My Dana was crooked as a dog's hind leg after welding on it. I would check for sure, before powdercoat. By the way, looks good.

I built a fixture to pre-load the tubes when I welded the back brace on. It worked sweet!! No fixture for final welding the ladder bar brackets etc...

I used the narrowing fixture (centerless ground shaft & mandrels) for welding on the housing ends. They're perfectly inline to the diff bore.

Preload fixture for welding on back brace:
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Tig Welding Practice........ - 05/20/10 01:18 AM

Very nice.
© 2024 Moparts Forums