Moparts

Street roller cams

Posted By: 383man

Street roller cams - 05/13/10 02:19 AM

Just curious if any of the people who run rollers in street cars use the street roller cams that use less spring pressure then race rollers ?? Thinking about using a roller in my next eng for my 63 but I do drive it alot on the street. Ron
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 02:26 AM

Run a Hydraulic roller grind, but use solid roller lifters. Or there are various street grinds as well, depending on how wild you're looking to go.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 03:04 AM

200#/500# is not uncommon on street designed solid rollers.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 03:17 AM

Hi Ron i have a used comp solid street roller i would sell cheep. please pm me if you are interested.OK back to your question. This will be my first time using a solid roller cam my self. so i don't have much info to give you. but i will be trying a comp solid roller in my 73 440 dart soon. I plan on driving it on the street once in a while and my cam is 264 @ 0.50 and 634 lift with my 1.6 roller rockers. every body i talk to says i will love the roller so we will see.mopar65
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 03:27 AM

I would use a street roller for a street car. Just seems like a good idea to me.
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 03:32 AM

Quote:

Run a Hydraulic roller grind, but use solid roller lifters.

WHY?????
Posted By: Von

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 04:30 AM

Ron,

Ive talked to Dwayne at length about this on a couple occasions.

He says the -5 Comp lobes are very very reliable in a real street driven application.

Posted By: JUST_N_TIME

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 08:16 AM

requires less spring pressures than a solid grind to achieve chances of float and lash is in the ±.006 range - less noise.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 09:17 AM

i have been running a smallblock with a comp XE solid roller for a few years on the street and no problems at all, and before that i had a diferent solid roller but much wilder that worked for a few years of summer daily driving including some pretty long drives and alot of 7500+rpm shifts and that one lost alitle spring preasure during the last summer, but none of them realy gave me any trouble being driven on the street for alot of time and both those rollercams have been at cruisenights basicly being at idle for about 8 hours at 8-900rpms with no bad effects that i have noticed

and i dont think a modern solid roller with .016-.018 lash makes enough noice from the lash to realy be anoying to anyone
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 12:02 PM

I run a roller on the street but I don't drive my car much. The thing you want to avoid is a lot of idling. I like the perfomrance of the roller cam. I am running .700 lift and if I remember correctly 240# of seat pressure. What I don't like about the cam is the bronze from the distributor gear in the oil and additional mantenance.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 05:52 PM

My cam is about as big as Isky generally uses in a daily driver situation and has served me well for over five years. After my 9-sec pass, I decided to change out the springs and the old ones were somewhere around 220-230 on the seat and 480 open and I drive it a lot and had several passes at that time. I swapped to a stouter spring and it`s still goin strong w/240-250 seat and 540+ open. I`m not the consertavite type and am of the "bigger is better" theory and so far have proven it can work well.

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 07:16 PM

Quote:

My cam is about as big as Isky generally uses in a daily driver situation and has served me well for over five years. After my 9-sec pass, I decided to change out the springs and the old ones were somewhere around 220-230 on the seat and 480 open and I drive it a lot and had several passes at that time. I swapped to a stouter spring and it`s still goin strong w/240-250 seat and 540+ open. I`m not the consertavite type and am of the "bigger is better" theory and so far have proven it can work well.

Just curious what the specs of your cam is??

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 07:26 PM

It`s a custom grind I came up with and it`s .680-.660 lift w/275-280 dur @.050 ground on a 108 lobe center. I don`t have the cam card handy to fully detail it but it`s just a bit different than their shelf grinds and VERY streetable.

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 07:42 PM

NICE!!!!!!!
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Street roller cams - 05/13/10 08:03 PM

Quote:

Ron,

He says the -5 Comp lobes are very very reliable in a real street driven application.

And Dwayne is right.
I got my -5 grind from PRH and it has been very good.

The first design street rollers are nice grinds too, though, and worth checking out if a guy wants to buy a shelf grind.

I was going to go with the older 308 street roller until Dwayne picked out a -5 for me instead. At the time our feeling was the -5 would pick up some power without hurting reliability/longevity enough to notice.

383man - 05/14/10 12:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. I know I will need a good strong valvetrain if I use the race roller with the spring pressure they run. Course I want a strong valvetrain no matter what cam I use. Ron

383man - 05/14/10 12:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ron,

And Dwayne is right.

The first design street rollers are nice grinds too, though, and worth checking out if a guy wants to buy a shelf grind.

I was going to go with the older 308 street roller until Dwayne picked out a -5 for me instead. At the time our feeling was the -5 would pick up some power without hurting reliability/longevity enough to notice.

Zippy can I ask you the cam specs on that cam and the spring pressure you run with it ??? Thanks , Ron
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: 383man - 05/14/10 03:18 AM

I have a Comp Cams solid street roller in my Challenger. There is about 1500 miles on the motor and so far all is good. The lifter bores have been bushed, I do not know if that helps.
The Cam is small- 248-254@ .050 and .622-.612 lift with 1.6 Rockers. Seat pressure is somthing like 200 on the seat 470 open.

Attached picture 5981626-IMG_1001.JPG
Posted By: roadrunnerreds

Re: 383man - 05/14/10 03:26 AM

darryls-demon your challenger reminds me of a car my aunt had when i was about 8 years old. do you have to bush the lifter bores. Bradley

Re: 383man - 05/14/10 04:46 AM

Quote:

darryls-demon your challenger reminds me of a car my aunt had when i was about 8 years old. do you have to bush the lifter bores. Bradley

Bradley, the lifter bores do not need to be bushed.
Did your aunt live in Gilbert Az in 1970?
I would like to talk to the person who bought the car new.
Posted By: roadrunnerreds

Re: 383man - 05/15/10 12:47 AM

No she is in Pa.my dad`s family are car guys but ford`s and chevy`s. my dad owned a few mopars but never long. I wanted to be different and took alot of ribbing for running a mopar. i have thought about a roller cam for a street strip car small block. i thought that unless you get solid body lifters you had to bush lifter bores. Bradley

Attached picture 5983011-IMG_0283.JPG

Re: 383man - 05/15/10 01:50 AM

In my big block I tried notched lifters and had low oil pressure then went to solid body type and solved it. My block is not bushed.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: 383man - 05/15/10 03:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ron,

And Dwayne is right.

Zippy can I ask you the cam specs on that cam and the spring pressure you run with it ??? Thanks , Ron

N/P Ron. It is .631 gross lift, 262/266 @ .050 on 110.
I usually just call it a 630 roller....

Spring pressure is 200 seat and roughly 500 open.

If the budget allows (careful shopping helps a whole lot)...a roller is well worth looking into.

I considered a roller for years before taking the plunge, and had 1,000 questions and concerns that a couple friends of mine + Dwayne cleared up for me in a hurry. No regrets at all, still very glad I did it, and I don't ever want to put another motor together with a flat tappet cam EVER!! (though I already have, for lower HP/lower budget stuff...oh well)

Anyway if you're in the same boat I was, send me a PM anytime if I can clear anything up bud.

Re: 383man - 05/15/10 04:55 AM

Quote:

No she is in Pa.my dad`s family are car guys but ford`s and chevy`s. my dad owned a few mopars but never long. I wanted to be different and took alot of ribbing for running a mopar. i have thought about a roller cam for a street strip car small block. i thought that unless you get solid body lifters you had to bush lifter bores. Bradley

My next project is a 408 small block with W2 heads for my 69 Dart that I drive every day to work in the the winter(no A/C so it is my winter beater)and I would like to put a solid roller in it but Iam not sure it would be a good idea for a driver. Sure do like the roller in my Challenger.
Posted By: torkrules

Re: Street roller cams - 05/15/10 11:47 AM

Quote:

Just curious if any of the people who run rollers in street cars use the street roller cams that use less spring pressure then race rollers ?? Thinking about using a roller in my next eng for my 63 but I do drive it alot on the street. Ron

FWIW I had Lunati do a street roller grind for me for a Hemi. It's a very mild 242@50, .590 lift with 110 lobe sepearation. The trick is to have gentler ramps on the lobes. I ran comp rollers and Isky gold tool room springs that have 190 on the seat and 450 open.

We ran it on the dyno up to 6500rpm with no float issues. It was still making power at 6500 (we just chickened out)

One of the better decisions I've made. You can barely hear the valve train and it idles smooth at 950rpm. And you don't need any lotions and potions for the cam, no break in.......
© 2024 Moparts Forums