Moparts

Comp Pro Magnum rockers ?

Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 07:48 PM

I have read about these rockers being a problem with bigger cams and higher spring pressures. Is anyone using them with a milder hydraulic or solid lifter FT cam?
The cam I am going to use is a Comp Cams XE284.
I have these mocked up and ready to use, but I am having concerns. I really don't want to spend the bucks to have them bushed if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Mark

Attached picture 5974690-CopyofRRengine014.JPG
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 07:50 PM

They should be fine with a flat tappet cam. The new rocker arms from Comp are bushed so evidently the engineers decided to make the switch.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 07:50 PM

I ran em for 5+ years w/a solid cam and had zero issues and as far as I know, they`re still going strong.

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 08:01 PM

Quote:

They should be fine with a flat tappet cam. The new rocker arms from Comp are bushed so evidently the engineers decided to make the switch.

Thanks Andy,
BTW I bought your book and I am enjoying reading it.

Mark

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 08:03 PM

Quote:

I ram em for 5+ years w/a solid cam and had zero issues and as far as I know, they`re still going strong.

Thanks Thumper,
How big of a solid cam did you use with these rockers?
This is a 470 inch BTW. A lot tammer than yours though!

Mark
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 08:31 PM

The cam was a solid Isky w/.590-.605 lift and the dur. was somewhere around 260 @.050 I think.

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 08:55 PM

Quote:

The cam was a solid Isky w/.590-.605 lift and the dur. was somewhere around 260 @.050 I think.

Well that sounds reassuring! Leaves a lot of room to grow!

Thanks,
Mark
Posted By: Badfish67

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 09:19 PM

Let me tell you about my issues with the Pro Magnum rockers.
I had them on my small block with a .670 lift solid roller cam and 260ish seat pressure. The rockers galled the shafts and from that I bent a few valves. The rockers suck and i'll never use them even on a street engine.
I know ya'll going to say that I should not have used them with my cam and springs, but Comp and Indy said I would be fine.
Now the engine is at RyanJ's shop and I cant wait to get it back!!!
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 09:44 PM

I ran the Comp SB rockers 125 passes. Rotella-T 15W-40,
Shubeck lifters and 440+ lbs. open pressure.
They looked better than I expected.

Attached picture 5974878-CompCamsProMagnumSBM003.jpg
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 09:46 PM

You won't have any problems with them if everything is set up correctly. It should be fine.

I haven't any issues with them at 500lbs open pressure without any bushings or honing.

Use/create Comp's recommended .030" side clearance, use a liquid assembly lube or oil (not thick paste), and whatever
you do...don't overtorque the shafts.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 09:49 PM

You ran $450 rockers with a 670 lift solid roller? they work fine for street type stuff
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 09:51 PM

Attached picture 5974892-CompCamsProMagnumSBM011.jpg

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 10:14 PM

I haven't any issues with them at 500lbs open pressure without any bushings or honing.

Use/create Comp's recommended .030" side clearance, use a liquid assembly lube or oil (not thick paste), and whatever

Sounds like I have it right except that I used Lubriplate assembly lube on the shafts? Is that a problem?
Thanks,
Mark
Posted By: RyanJ

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/10/10 10:26 PM

They work great until you get over 500 lbs of spring pressure... more pressure, the quicker they will gall.

Have had a bunch of customers not listen to me & end up galling their Pro Mags on Solid Rollers. Nice to know Comp is now bushing them...

PRW Chrome Molys are an almost exact copy of the Pro Mags, & have a thick bronze bushing in them... Alot less $, more choices of rocker ratios...(Pro Mags only 1.5) only problem is the adjusters are brittle. I just went over 8000 miles this morning on my PRW's on my 440, mild street solid roller, 190 seat, 550 open. I put T&D adjusters in them... been great rockers other than the adjuster issue.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/13/10 01:19 PM

Quote:

Sounds like I have it right except that I used Lubriplate assembly lube on the shafts? Is that a problem?
Thanks,
Mark

Lubriplate should be thin enough to wash away fairly quick. As usual prime with the valve covers off, watch everything....whenever possible you want oil flowing through there as opposed to great globs of greasey gunk clogging everything up (exaggerating a bit there).

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/13/10 01:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,
Mark

Lubriplate should be thin enough to wash away fairly quick. As usual prime with the valve covers off, watch everything....whenever possible you want oil flowing through there as opposed to great globs of greasey gunk clogging everything up (exaggerating a bit there).

Thanks Zippy!

Mark
Posted By: Torred

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/14/10 12:42 AM

I use the Comp Pro Magnum Rockers on a 440 with
COMP Cams XE 284 cam
COMP Cams P/N #911-16 Single Outer Valve Spring; 1.524" (with Damper)
COMP Cams P/N #867-16 Pro Magnum Hydraulic Lifters
Going on 5 years Street/Strip no problems, no complaints but I believe that the springs are considered marginal for my application.

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/14/10 04:35 PM

Quote:

I use the Comp Pro Magnum Rockers on a 440 with
COMP Cams XE 284 cam
COMP Cams P/N #911-16 Single Outer Valve Spring; 1.524" (with Damper)
COMP Cams P/N #867-16 Pro Magnum Hydraulic Lifters
Going on 5 years Street/Strip no problems, no complaints but I believe that the springs are considered marginal for my application.

Thanks for your input. I am using the springs that came with the Edelbrock heads and I don't know how they compare to the Comps?

Mark
Posted By: AutoEngineer

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/14/10 05:40 PM

How do they feed oil to the pushrod cup and adjuster ball?

Is there an oil passage through the rocker body?

Re: Comp Pro Magnum rockers ? - 05/14/10 05:56 PM

Quote:

How do they feed oil to the pushrod cup and adjuster ball?

Is there an oil passage through the rocker body?

Yes, there is and oil flows directly to the cup.
© 2024 Moparts Forums