Moparts

Cleaning inside aluminum radiator

Posted By: marvo451

Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/10/10 04:29 PM

What is the best way to clean the gunk out of an all aluminum radiator? There is some brown oily feeling residue inside the tanks from when the main webbing and cylinder cracked?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/10/10 04:37 PM

The acid type cleaning stuff but make sure you use
the neutralizer also
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/10/10 04:42 PM

Using anything like that is like thinking mouthwash is a substitute for toothpaste.

That crud doesn't just dissolve for you to rinse away, it needs to be brushed to get rid of it all. Good luck with that.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/10/10 05:42 PM

we cut them open, rod them out, and weld them back together. find a good radiator shop that can weld aluminum. sometimes they can be improved with compressed air and water (backflush).
Posted By: marvo451

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/11/10 11:56 AM

BTT...any more ideas?
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/11/10 12:07 PM

i'd try dumping a cemical in there to desolve it, like gasoline or diesel. let it soak a few days,just rinse it well when your done. anythings worth a try at this point.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/11/10 12:17 PM

Quote:

BTT...any more ideas?

i cant realy evaluate the condition without seing it[picture]but for a cost effective method there is a cleaning product sold at the $ store called mean grean in a qt spray bottle for 2$ a bottle.get 2 of them put them in not diluted and tape some plastic on all the openings and shake.you will be suprised.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/11/10 12:33 PM

I believe hot water would be effective. Maybe some simple green or some degreaser. Hot water will get rid of most of the oil, imo.

I would NOT use radiator cleaner from a parts store as it's not made for aluminum radiators, say so right on the bottle.

Posted By: justinp61

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/11/10 01:00 PM

Mean Green is pretty good but Purple Power is the best water soluble I've used. I get mine from Advance Auto Parts.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/11/10 01:38 PM

Quote:

BTT...any more ideas?

On Horse Power TV this Sat. they said mix equal parts vinegar and water, let sit and rinse. Could use it with the rad. in the car to clean the block too. Then use FILTERED water NOT distilled water and put some Prestone anti rust in.
Works on coffee makers. Except the Prestone part! Don

Attached picture 5976166-DSC00073.JPG
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/11/10 03:21 PM

x2 on the 50/50 vinegar and water.
or if you can get it..50/50 beet juice and water
both will take an enourmous amount of crud out.
let it soak...
or cycle if you have an electric water pump with the t-stat out..
on the refill definately distilled water.. $0.99 at the grocery store for a gallon.
fwiw.
cheapst.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/11/10 03:48 PM

Why not distilled water?
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Cleaning inside aluminum radiator - 05/11/10 11:46 PM

Quote:

Why not distilled water?

Distilled water is completely devoid of any minerals. So it will leach aluminum from rad, heads etc. Iron from block etc. It will leach=eat your metals to equalize the solution.
FILTERED water will be clean enough but not cause leaching. Don

Attached picture 5977168-cordova.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums