Moparts

The HHR fan went out...

Posted By: Jeepmon

The HHR fan went out... - 05/10/10 03:35 PM

Maybe they arent so wonderful afterall.. The HHR fan was less than one year old and only saw the occasional weekend street duty and at the strip..

Last weekend, I was on my way back from a car show about 40 miles away and notice the temp gauge creeping up.. I really didnt think too much of it, but kept an eye on it..

Yesterday, we took the Duster to the grocery store and instantly the temp shot up to 210 degrees.. I limped the car home, got out the volt meter and sure enough.. the HHR fan gave up the ship..

So maybe its not such a great idea to rely on these after market fans for those street driven cars like mine
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/10/10 03:47 PM

Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/10/10 04:22 PM

maybe just a fluke there are HHR's out there with 100k plus still using the original fans may have just gotten a bad 1.

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/10/10 05:06 PM

I'm not sure if there is a difference from the OEM fans and the aftermarket fans that Rock Auto sell.. but the fan I have is made by a company called "TYC"..

Regardless, I ordered a new fan last night and should receive it shortly..
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/10/10 06:04 PM

Hey Jeep, just curious what alternator you are running. I have an HHR fan that I picked up this winter that I was about to install, but I heard some folks saying that the stock alternator won’t keep up with the power draw.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/10/10 06:24 PM

HHR fan, stock alternator here. My car is stored outside 24/7 365, easily 300+ passes and thousands of street miles later, still spinning away.

I bought mine direct from Eric though while he was at the GM dealership.

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/10/10 07:38 PM

Quote:

Hey Jeep, just curious what alternator you are running. I have an HHR fan that I picked up this winter that I was about to install, but I heard some folks saying that the stock alternator won’t keep up with the power draw.

Stock alternator, just like Dustin runs... and up to just recently, I had no problems running the fan.. Even at night, there was no noticeable difference when running the fan and headlights at the same time..
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/10/10 10:40 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 01:00 AM

If it was aftermarket replacement compared to OEM....I would say that is probably the problem. I thought about buying an HHR fan too...but I wanted to make sure it was an OEM one if they are different.

PS...I still can't find that sticker...

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 03:22 PM

Quote:

If it was aftermarket replacement compared to OEM....I would say that is probably the problem. I thought about buying an HHR fan too...but I wanted to make sure it was an OEM one if they are different.

PS...I still can't find that sticker...

I guess that is the question.. is the Rock Auto fans made by the OEM manufacture... or are they just aftermarket?? I thought they were OEM, but now I'm not so sure..

And no worries about the sticker.. you'll find it the moment I no longer need it.. lol
Posted By: bobby66

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 03:50 PM

Do the Rock Auto fans have a GM p/n on them?
Posted By: DartMan380

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 04:07 PM

The ones Rock Auto sells are aftermarket made by TYC. TYC is a good company that makes about 75% of the aftermarket fans that are on the market.

If you guys have a Keystone Auto store around you check with them for a price. If you buy a fan from Keystone it will include a lifetime waranty on the motor.

Might want to check into that before buying one from Rock Auto...
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 04:14 PM

Quote:

Do the Rock Auto fans have a GM p/n on them?

Not if they are tyc I would assume...same company that makes all the chinese reproduction headlights,taillights, etc..

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 04:22 PM

I found this fan while looking at HemiFreds fan post... Its too bad I had already placed an order with Rock Auto for another HHR fan, or I would have bought this one...

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/black-magic.html

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 05:38 PM

how much is the aftermarket fan from rock Auto because the oem fan from GM is not that much

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/11/10 05:54 PM

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/11/10 05:56 PM

Posted By: RonP

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 06:05 PM

By far the best money I have ever spent. Writting it off because of one failure isn't the way to go. If that was the case none of us would/should by a single part mentioned on here.

gmpartsdirect.com has the complete setup for 73.00.

Hopefully your next one will give you long life.
Posted By: HemiGreg

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 08:40 PM

5000 CFM

Attached picture 5976871-5000cfmdieselfan.jpg

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/11/10 08:56 PM

Posted By: dannysbee

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 09:17 PM

Quote:

5000 CFM

Don't turn that thing on when you are making a pass. Be sure your in park in the staging lanes, it might blow you into the car behind you.

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 10:38 PM

Quote:

dealer 171 rock 60 something

must not have a good connection at a GM dealer my cost on a new GM unit is less than 80.00
Posted By: HemiGreg

Re: The HHR fan went out... - 05/11/10 11:49 PM

yea but think how it will pull you into the wind with all that force...
IE: Swamp boat with huge propeller!!!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums