Moparts

NHRA Stocker 64 Max Wedge

Posted By: dannysbee

NHRA Stocker 64 Max Wedge - 05/05/10 07:26 PM

What class would a 64 Savoy with 415 hp engine, auto and steel front end fit into? Has anyone tried any of the latest Max Wedge Head offerings from Mopar performance? What other cars would you be competeing with?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: NHRA Stocker 64 Max Wedge - 05/06/10 12:37 AM

Quote:

What class would a 64 Savoy with 415 hp engine, auto and steel front end fit into? Has anyone tried any of the latest Max Wedge Head offerings from Mopar performance? What other cars would you be competeing with?

That car fits B/SA IF NHRA has not factored the HP on that combination, it might be able to fit C/SA by adding weight, maybe not Check with NHRA tech to find out there rae a lot of different brand cars with different motor combinations that can run B and C/SA. Your best bet for accurate information on this subject is with NHRA and on line at classracer.com
Posted By: mr_340

Re: NHRA Stocker 64 Max Wedge - 05/06/10 01:55 AM

Looks like a natural A/SA to me. Drop to B/SA with weight. See the attached classification guide.

Attached File
5966351-1964PLY[1].xls  (207 downloads)
Posted By: jpm1916

Re: NHRA Stocker 64 Max Wedge - 05/06/10 02:16 AM

64 Max Wedge 415 can run aa/sa,a/sa or b/sa
the 415 is rated @ 410 hp in IHRA

Re: NHRA Stocker 64 Max Wedge - 05/06/10 03:13 AM

Looks like 135# would put it at the top of B/SA.

Re: NHRA Stocker 64 Max Wedge - 05/06/10 04:49 AM

Quote:

Oops, it is a Savoy, not a Fury or Sport Fury Sorry for the inacuraties(SP?)
Posted By: 383man

383man - 05/06/10 04:58 AM

This Max Wedge steel nose 64 Plymouth ran B/SA and could have run A/SA with some weight removed. What I dont know is the rules when it has the aluminum nose and scoop ?? Seems most in Stock are steel nose no scoop cars. I believe they built 145 Max Wedge 64 Plymouth's and about 100 were aluminum nose cars so I thought most would run the scoop. Or does it have to have the aluminum front end to use the scoop ?? Ron

Re: 383man - 05/06/10 05:09 AM

Ron, to be NHRA legal you have to have the aluminum front end to run the aluminum hood with the aluminum scoop, at least the last time I heard anyways. That can be changed on a whim from NHRA
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: 383man - 05/06/10 10:51 AM

You'll want to stay out of A/SA because of all the new Mustangs and Challengers that are not factored right. They are way fast and in a heads up race it would be tough to outrun them.
Posted By: Tommy D

Re: 383man - 05/06/10 10:59 AM

I believe the top cars in B/SA are running very low tens right now (10.08 or so). Some have gone faster. There are a bunch that run in the 10.30-10.40 range. It will cost huge money or huge time...probably both to build a competative car. Then you get torn down for running a good number. IMO build it the way you want and run it in Nostalgia Super Stock. The money is close to the same with no tear downs. Good luck. 64 Savoys are my favorite of all time. As Jerry Stein says, "Wedge em out!"
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: 383man - 05/06/10 11:57 AM

Lately anything in the upper classes of stock with a carb has been served for lunch. A 383 would be a much better choice.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: NHRA Stocker 64 Max Wedge - 05/06/10 01:15 PM

If you have the car a 426 Street Wedge is a decent package. As stated above AA, A, & B are real Hornet nests right now. The late MP 518 heads are not real good. They need a lot of work to get them to work. Better pff finding the hens teeth that are the real McCoy. One more note the Stage 3 intake is better than the early ones too. More Hens teeth to find.

Re: 383man - 05/06/10 03:33 PM

Quote:

What I dont know is the rules when it has the aluminum nose and scoop ?? Seems most in Stock are steel nose no scoop cars. I believe they built 145 Max Wedge 64 Plymouth's and about 100 were aluminum nose cars so I thought most would run the scoop. Or does it have to have the aluminum front end to use the scoop ?? Ron

The last time I saw a complete aluminum nose for a 1964 Plymouth (fenders, hood and scoop to make it legal for Stock or SS), the price was about $20k. NHRA should look at equivalent weight replacement fiberglass parts as a cost savings for racers. Or, at least allow a fiberglass hood and scoop and make them run steel fenders. It appears to me that NHRA doesn't want anyone to run the light weight package.

I'd try to contact John Shaul in NY about that combo. I think he's the fastest MW car out there in Stock. He did a set of carbs that I bought from Bogner several years ago.

383man - 05/06/10 04:45 PM

I believe this car was originally built by John Shaul as it is owned by Danny Jones right now and my brother drives it. It runs in the 10.40 to 10.70 area running B/SA. I would think NHRA would let them at least run a glass scoop since no one make an aluminum one. I have seen 63 and 64 Max Wedge cars dip in the 9's now and then on good tracks on good days. I believe John Shaul has run 9.70's with his 64 AA/SA car. They look so much cooler with the scoop also. Ron

Re: 383man - 05/06/10 05:00 PM

You can buy the scoop in aluminum or steel but it is a all or none deal with NHRA. To run the scoop you have to run the aluminum fenders and hood.
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: 383man - 05/06/10 06:26 PM

Can run a scoop only with single 4bbl Nascar Hemi and only the steel front.
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: 383man - 05/06/10 09:42 PM

I may be wrong but I think the scooped alum front end is a super stock designated item only. Not legal for stock. I believe the package was only available with 425 hp.

383man - 05/06/10 10:12 PM

Quote:

I may be wrong but I think the scooped alum front end is a super stock designated item only. Not legal for stock. I believe the package was only available with 425 hp.

I believe thats definetly right for 63. I know Plymouth built 1196 Max Wedge cars in 63 and only 40 were the aluminum front end cars. And as you said they were all 425 hp engines and in the Savoy only from what I remember. Now in 64 only 245 Plymoth Max Wedge and Hemi cars were built. I believe it was 155 Maxie cars and 90 Hemi cars. Dont remember how many were aluminum cars. Ron

Re: 383man - 05/08/10 04:00 PM

Quote:

Look at the classification guide I posted near the top. The aluminum nose and scoop is legal for Stock (and SS). You would have to run the high compression MW and the factor is 7.61 to put a Savoy in AA/SA, or add weight to drop to A/SA. The factor with the LC MW is 8.18 with steel nose and flat hood. Natural A/SA car, move up or down a class.
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: 383man - 05/08/10 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What I dont know is the rules when it has the aluminum nose and scoop ?? Seems most in Stock are steel nose no scoop cars. I believe they built 145 Max Wedge 64 Plymouth's and about 100 were aluminum nose cars so I thought most would run the scoop. Or does it have to have the aluminum front end to use the scoop ?? Ron

The last time I saw a complete aluminum nose for a 1964 Plymouth (fenders, hood and scoop to make it legal for Stock or SS), the price was about $20k. NHRA should look at equivalent weight replacement fiberglass parts as a cost savings for racers. Or, at least allow a fiberglass hood and scoop and make them run steel fenders. It appears to me that NHRA doesn't want anyone to run the light weight package.

I'd try to contact John Shaul in NY about that combo. I think he's the fastest MW car out there in Stock. He did a set of carbs that I bought from Bogner several years ago.

Seeing that the price of aluminum has went up so much I thought you should know what AMD is up to..

http://www.autometaldirect.com/

It's time we lobby AMD!

Re: 383man - 05/09/10 05:46 AM

I'd buy a set of 1964 Plymouth fenders and hood. Maybe two hoods (one MW, one Hemi scoop). I wonder if the 1969 Camaros on the drag strips have aluminum fenders on them? I might have to take a small magnet with me to the next national event?
Posted By: gtx69

Re: 383man - 05/09/10 11:55 AM

Let us know what happen's when someone catches you sticking a magnet on their car!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums