Moparts

How much is too much?

Posted By: clyde

How much is too much? - 05/05/10 01:14 AM

Oil pressure. 15/40 Delo. Cold start it's over 100psi. After warmup 75-80. All at idle. Thru the traps at 6400 rpm, waaaay over 100 psi. Thx
Posted By: dave571

Re: How much is too much? - 05/05/10 01:21 AM

That's too much.

Go back to a std volume pump, and/or put thinner oil in.

Re: How much is too much? - 05/05/10 01:31 AM

Standard off the shelf advance auto replacement pump. Anybody make a softer by-pass spring?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: How much is too much? - 05/05/10 03:30 AM

Quote:

Standard off the shelf advance auto replacement pump. Anybody make a softer by-pass spring?

That doesn't sound right Sounds like they sold you a high volume or high pressure pump and said it was a standad pump you can cut one coil off of the spring, especially if it is the black spring. I'm assuming this is a BB and not a SB Mopar, either way the pressure is to high and you can trim either spring to reduce pressure if you can find a spring that will reduce the pressure. I trim almost all of the new springs on the high volume pumps I use, I like to have 10 lbs per 1000 RPM, or 70 lbs at 7000 RPM I do break the motor in with 5W20WT oil and wait until the oil is hot before starting the trimming process, rev it up and read the oil pressure and go from there
Posted By: Sport440

Re: How much is too much? - 05/05/10 03:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That doesn't sound right Sounds like they sold you a high volume or high pressure pump and said it was a standad pump you can cut one coil off of the spring, especially if it is the black spring. I'm assuming this is a BB and not a SB Mopar, either way the pressure is to high and you can trim either spring to reduce pressure if you can find a spring that will reduce the pressure. I trim almost all of the new springs on the high volume pumps I use, I like to have 10 lbs per 1000 RPM, or 70 lbs at 7000 RPM I do break the motor in with 5W20WT oil and wait until the oil is hot before starting the trimming process, rev it up and read the oil pressure and go from there

Good advice!!
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: How much is too much? - 05/05/10 03:44 AM

I have an all alum Indy motor, with there oil pump and spray bar oiling and it has the same kind of oil pressure your dad has. The guys at indy say that is how it should be. They did not biuld the motor.

Re: How much is too much? - 05/05/10 04:26 AM

Yea it's a 440. I actually pulled the spring out of a 383 that had "normal" pressure and put in this pump but, made no difference in pressure. I'll try the trimming routine and see if that helps. THX
Posted By: Twostick

Re: How much is too much? - 05/05/10 04:29 AM

Sounds like the relief valve is stuck.

Kevin
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How much is too much? - 05/05/10 09:54 AM

I put a thicker washer in my by-pass to up the pressure
due to a error in my build(forgot the plug in the front
oil galley) and when I figured out what the problem
was and corrected that , I forgot to pull that washer
out and when I rev'd it the pressure went to 140 and
blew the oil filter apart.... so watch out for that high
pressure...... also it takes more HP away from your
engine to spin the pump with all that pressure
This was on a BB
Posted By: dave571

Re: How much is too much? - 05/05/10 02:36 PM

Quote:

Sounds like the relief valve is stuck.

Kevin

try a different pump
Posted By: Twostick

Re: How much is too much? - 05/09/10 07:24 AM

Quote:

I put a thicker washer in my by-pass to up the pressure
due to a error in my build(forgot the plug in the front
oil galley) and when I figured out what the problem
was and corrected that , I forgot to pull that washer
out and when I rev'd it the pressure went to 140 and
blew the oil filter apart.... so watch out for that high
pressure...... also it takes more HP away from your
engine to spin the pump with all that pressure
This was on a BB

Buddy of mine did exactly the same thing years ago.
It blew a brand new Lee Eliminator filter across the shop with 8 quarts of Kendall racing 50 right behind it.

Kevin
© 2024 Moparts Forums