Moparts

Burnout technique?

Posted By: 62 Savoy

Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 12:20 AM

Gentlemen,
Just curious, what technique do you recommend for burnouts with a torqueflite 727 transmission and why?

Thanks,
62 Savoy
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 12:35 AM

Hey George,,,,

I usually put mine in 3rd gear,,,pump the brakes,,,,hit the line lock,,,,SMACK the gas to bring up the RPM's to turn the tires over and count to 5 as i do the burnout,,,,let off the line lock,,,and roll out of the burn out box.
(this is my technique),,,

I know alot of people do theirs in 2nd gear and shift to 3rd,,,etc,,,,

You getting to the track soon ?

Doug Boyce

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 12:39 AM

3rd gear here also.... the purpose of a burnout is
to clean the tire and get it up in temp... you get the
temp faster when the tire spins faster so why waste
time in second UNLESS you have a hard time getting
them spinning
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 12:40 AM

2nd to 3rd then let of as relase the line lock and roll out all at once. 1st gear burn outs are bad.
Posted By: whiskeyrunner

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 12:45 AM

2nd to 3rd...bout 6000 rpm...pull out at 6500...i typically power out til i feel is neccesary
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 12:45 AM

start in 2nd, get the tire's spinning pull 3rd and let go of the brake, then I stay-in it till the tire's grab!!!
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 12:47 AM

Quote:

I usually put mine in 3rd gear,,,pump the brakes,,,,hit the line lock,,,,SMACK the gas to bring up the RPM's to turn the tires over and count to 5 as i do the burnout,,,,let off the line lock,,,and roll out of the burn out box.

Exactly what I do, then I make sure I have plenty of room to roll up to the line in first.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 12:51 AM

I get mine up on the tire in 2nd, click 3rd and watch my side mirror for smoke, release the line lock and roll out of the throttle.
I'll burn them about 10' when the tire starts to grab be out of the throttle. Don't shock the convertor too much.

Be sure to have plenty of room to drive up to the line in 1st so you don't frag the sprag.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 12:55 AM

Door Car
-----------------------
Every single time....
-I pull through the water, sometimes I will spin in the water just enough to rotate my tires and get them as wet as possible.
-set line lock, pump the brakes to build up good pressure
-Make sure the shifter is in 2nd lay it on the wood, go straight to high this gives me about a 2 seconds to turn off the line lock
-turn off the line lock and start easing off the throttle, by this time the car starts to go forward away from the water box, Im letting off the throttle as I can feel the tires getting sticky and the rpm is starting to fall/engine starts to load.
-I proceed to pre-stage the car, after the top bulb is on I go to neutral clean the engine out then I drop into 1st....
I do this also to insure I am in 1st..

Dragster
-----------------------
I make sure the 3 step is on and trans is in high roll through the water making sure Im headed straight...I lay it on the wood 6K on the chip and anticipate the tires hooking cause it jerks the crap out of you...I lift right after this happens...
People are intimidated by a dragster, and staging....IMO its as easy as pie..it doesnt take two people to do this.
But a 2nd pair of eye's looking and watching for debris, leaks, anything that has the potential of saving your or someone else life.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 02:06 AM

Is this a fully automatic 727 or a manual shift valve body or a stick shift car?
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 02:37 AM

An old Super Stock Hemi racer told me back in the day "start in 2nd engage your line lok..bring it up to 5000...shift into hi stabilizing at 5000..release the line lok and let it walk out." Works for me.

Attached picture 5949130-100_2208[640x480].JPG
Posted By: savoyracer

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 03:14 AM

The answer to the WHY is simple. So that you do not seriously hurt, maim, or disfigure yourself, the guy you are racing against, or some other innocent person/bystander when that puppy grenades from doing it in first gear!! I have seen one explode, the explosion was extremely violent. the car had a trans blanket, it contained the explosion. I have seen pictures [on here], of cars with shields, and the shields did not contain the explosion. there are replacement pieces to upgrade the trans, to help prevent those problems, and coupled with 2nd, or high gear burnouts, you should not have a problem with a 727 transmission.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 06:40 AM

Start in second, 6 grand, hit third, release line lock, come out of the box sideways 500 rpm over redline...still can't figure out why my slicks and valvesprings don't last as long as everyone else...oh well!!!

Attached picture 5949434-PB080019.JPG
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 11:13 AM

Billy..

That's a really great picture..

Also that's Leon in the other lane..

Billy D's Nephew..

Chris..
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 04:12 PM

In high gear, roll through the water, stab the throttle 6' past the waterbox, roll off the throttle at the 1/8 mile mark. Showy, lots of smoke, and helps get heat in the engine. Dragsters and altereds.
Posted By: hvyweight

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 04:52 PM

For my car with et drag radials. I start in high gear rolling thru and past the water box about 3-4 feet then stab the throttle. I don't use line loc never really needed it.

Mike
Posted By: PARTSMAN440

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 04:58 PM

I always wanted to try a piperack burnout, but they told me if i did they would throw me out. Mabe someday. Anyway I start in 3rd,set the linelock, stab the gas to 5000 and hold for a count of 5 then roll out trying not to shock the drivetrain to bad when it hooks up. Works for me.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 05:04 PM

-I proceed to pre-stage the car, after the top bulb is on I go to neutral clean the engine out then I drop into 1st....

Bob,
I thought that it was necessary to roll forward after putting the trans in first gear? Am I missing something?
I am just trying to learn, and have not raced a 727 trans yet.
Thanks,
Mark

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 08:12 PM

Quote:

Bob,
I thought that it was necessary to roll forward after putting the trans in first gear? Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Mark

I always stop short of the lights and go to neutral,
do a clean out put it in low then roll into the pre
stage and wait till the other driver gets into the
pre stage then I roll in under some power(about 1800
rpm) as soon as I get the full stage I set the trans
brake and bring the rpm to about 2000 then wait till
I see the top yellow(if box racing) then release the
button and go to the wood at the same time OR if
bottom bulb racing as soon as I see the top yellow
I go to the wood and release the button when I see
the last yellow(has to be on GOOD) or I go red
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 08:35 PM

Quote:

I go to the wood and release the button when I see
the last yellow(has to be on GOOD) or I go red

I think now I'm seeing why you were having problems racing no-box. Our no-box classes are pure footbrake here, but a few friends run SS cars and they have transbrake buttons that are adjustable so you can dial in what is essentially a mechanical delay. With the LED bulbs the only way I have found to be consistent is to leave off the first flash of the bottom bulb. If you have to wait, it's just pure guesswork.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 08:55 PM

I have only raced with street radials and found they would get greassy if I got em too hot so I just get the rear tires wet put it in 1st and stomp it with no brakes for a couple seconds and they were good to go. No need to run 6000rpm mabey 4000 max, I always run a VB with low band apply and never had a problem.

My favorite car I drag raced was a 4dr 66 dart with a mild 360 and a 2.94 open 7.25 rear. I pulled pretty consistent 2.1 60s and ocasionally got a 2.0 flat. When doing the burn out with that car I had to run the steering back and forth a little to make sure both tires got a little spin.
Posted By: The Shocker

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 09:01 PM

No need to get crazy with the Burnout ,unless you like buying slicks all the time.Heres my method.I spin the tires litely in the water to coat them with water.I then start out in low (powerbraking as i dont have or need a line lok).I run it up to about 4500 in low then shift to high .I run it in high for a few seconds to about 5000 .Once i see a bit of smoke in the rearview in high gear,i let of the brakes and rev it to about 5500-6000 and roll out of it for about 5 or 6 feet.Works everytime .Heres an example of my method in the Youtube link.I have PG trans ,but dont see why a 727 would be much different though ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWfN9ajAHm8
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 09:06 PM

As far as burnout technique, here's what i do:
Start in second, bring it up to 5000, shift to high, give it a little more throttle, at 6000 or so release the linelock, more power to hold it at 6000ish, do rolling burnout at least 10 ft to get you out of the water thrown forward by the tires and the balled-up rubber near the burnout box. Stop, kick it in neutral, clear motor, pull up to the line allowing 10ft or so to ensure proper engagement. Never stop the burnout in the water or near it, never start in first gear.
I usually do a bit longer of a rolling burnout (if you watch videos of my car, it almost looks like I dont hold it in the box at all) because i used to drive a jr dragster and that's what I'm used to.

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 09:14 PM

If you have to wait, it's just pure guesswork.

Pretty much.... basically I have to see it going out
to get a good light(in the .010 range) but I still leave
at 5600... if I lowered the rpm it can get closer to
seeing the last yellow coming on(first glimpse)
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 10:23 PM

Quote:

Bob,
Thanks,
Mark

Good question...I dont know...I do pull forward enough after I go in first to turn the stage bulb on so it does move...Then of coarse I set the trans brake so the clutch pack defiantly applied at this point?
Been doing it this way for a decade or so, havent seen any problems...
But if there is a better or more safe way of doing it..heck Im for it.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 11:22 PM

At some of the tracks I run at, we have to pull from the staging lanes and BACK into burn out box. I back into water, flap the throttle to get tires wet and roll out of water to do burn out. Trans in 2nd gear, line lock on, whack the throttle hard to get up on the tires and immediatly go to high gear. About 1 1/2-2 seconds, turn loose of the line lock and as the car starts to move foreward, I start rolling out of the throttle till it starts to bite, let completely out of the throttle and roll towards the beams. I stop short of the top light, go to Neutral, turn on air shifter, put pre stage light on and wait. (no hilbilly tune up for me, car "idles" about 1800 RPM's)
I'm not sure why I don't have a very long tire life???
Brian Dunnigan

Attached picture 5950516-drags5-30023w.jpg
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/27/10 11:28 PM

another

Attached picture 5950529-BowlingGreenHotRodReunion20082.jpg
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Burnout technique? - 04/28/10 01:09 AM

with old set up i used to go from 1st-2nd and out now i just stay in second. stay there for about 6 seconds and roll out stop open door let in some nice air and waite for the other guy shut the door prestage neutral clean it out bring it up to 3000 and it all business from there..
© 2024 Moparts Forums