Moparts

Tranny Vent Ques.

Posted By: 80arrow

Tranny Vent Ques. - 04/24/10 12:34 PM

Someone told me that if you have a transbrake in your tranny that you have drill out where the vent goes in the back of the tranny, tap it, and put a fitting and hose in it and have an overflow bottle for it now. Is there any truth to this? The car should only run mid to low 9's if that matters. Thanks guys, Clint
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Tranny Vent Ques. - 04/24/10 01:11 PM

If the front drum is drilled for quicker release of the brake (most area) than you need to plug the factory vent and drill and tap the rear case for a vent. Most (I beleive) run a GM style vent but others (my self included) have had trans fluid leaking from the vent and that is when the hose up to a catch can is a good idea. Run the hose into the bottom of the can so that the fluid will drain back into the trans and you won't have to keep adding fluid.
Posted By: 80arrow

Re: Tranny Vent Ques. - 04/24/10 01:38 PM

I have a 904 tranny and the vent seems dry all the time. What are you using for a catch can, does a pop bottle work? Where are you mounting it? Is there a rule now that you need a catch can?
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Tranny Vent Ques. - 04/24/10 02:14 PM

As far as I know no rule about it. If your vent is dry then I wouldn't worry about it.

I'll probably use a catch can for a Jr dragster as I'm a stickeler for appearnce but I suppose anything that doen't get degraded by heat/trans fluid would work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums