will put the car up for sale and turn more time into
my other hot rods for the street..... getting old
sure does SUCK... I'm recuperating from shoulder
surgery right now and cant get in the seat even if
I wanted to..... Oh well... I'll see what shakes
thanks guys
Posted By: deaks

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 06:59 PM

Sounds like you've really gone through the wars in the last few years, good luck in whatever decision you make and i hope you continue to contribute to this site as you have a great deal to offer.
Mick
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 07:02 PM

Sorry to hear about all the health issues. MY GF has had a rough year as well. If you lived closer, I would jump at the chance.

Ran a car for a local owner last year as well as my milder hot rod at some pretty big events and shut a few regulars down big time. Forgot how much I missed the seat time, and my reactions are still just as good at cutting 0 lights. I will always like the old cars and bracket racing as I did it for 7 years straight, just not the expense of a new engine every few years. The guys car I was running sold this winter, and he has not bought a new one, so I am in limbo.

I have the cash to rebuild my hemi and have decided its going to sit for at least another year. Just can't figure out why a fricken block has to cost almost 3k rough bored. I will be putting my green truck back togather shortly though. Hope you get better and find someone that will get to learn what a chance of a life time drag racing really is.
Posted By: Mopar Ron

Mike sorry to hear about your medical issues and hope things work out for you, I am 58 now and hope to be racing before the year is done, I have been away from the track for about 20 years and I sure do want to make passes again
good luck with what ever you decide to do Ron...
Posted By: Hemiroid

You seem to be a intelligent, down to earth guy and I'm sure finding someone competent to drive who you can get along with won't be too hard.

Whether you're the crew chief/owner or driver, you're still part of the team and you're still competing, just in a different way. I help a friend with a S/C car, and we're in the middle of putting together a T/D (going to Milan tomorrow to cert it) and I enjoy it a lot. You may just find out you enjoy it as much or more being the crew chief. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Posted By: chris3

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 07:09 PM

Mr. P, there is nothing wrong with crew chief. I have been mainly crew chiefing now for 2 years. Drive some times but my son is the primary driver, I have my two grandson out there with us. Every one right down to 3 year old CJ is out there spraying water to cool thing down.

You get the right young man or lady that shares your interest and you will enjoy it. Good luck.
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 07:25 PM

Mr P you will make some kids dreams come true.

I say keep the car and look for a racin buddy
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 07:31 PM

Quote:

Mr P you will make some kids dreams come true.

I say keep the car and look for a racin buddy

Goodluck whatever you decide Mike.
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 07:33 PM

Mike sorry to hear about your health problems you have been very helpful to me with your advice on exhausts and stuff. Racing seemed to be in your blood and I do think you would make an excellent Mentor and crew chief.
Posted By: Diego_Ted

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 07:34 PM

Mr. P you do what gives you enjoyment. CrewChief is King in my book, I would be lost without HOLLYWOOD! Just too many things going on with two cars for one guy and he has years of experiance racing.

I wish someone would have taken me under their wing 20 year ago....... wait I mean 30 years ago!!LOL I am sure there is a kid out there waiting for someone to show him how it's done, the right way.
Diego
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 07:39 PM

Quote:

Mike sorry to hear about your health problems you have been very helpful to me with your advice on exhausts and stuff. Racing seemed to be in your blood and I do think you would make an excellent Mentor and crew chief.

Raff is one of the good guys!!
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 07:45 PM

It might take some time to find the right kid, but when ya do its kinda like being young again , Hang in there Mike, it will come around
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 09:14 PM

I feel for Mr. P...........my s.w.a.t. goggles are definately affecting me also. I also know what you mean about not slowing it down so why not offer the driving duties to a qualified driver that way you can still be involved? Good luck either way.......
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 09:22 PM

Packing it all up would truly suck
I agree finding a young gear head to drive would be the way to go.
Don't pack it in yet
The first thing to teach the new guy is how to run the trailer broom.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 09:45 PM

I dont think anybody would blame you for retiring from competitive racing, with all the health issues you've had. I used to work with a bunch of young guys and many volunteered to drive my car for me. Maybe two of 'em i would trust to do it. So i believe you could find someone that you liked.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 10:40 PM

Thanks guys.... when/if I find a driver I plan on
making it worth their while to drive for me... like
paying for the entry and half of all winnings... I
like to race the long weekend events so if the driver
wants to stay in the trailer with me(trailer has LQ)
then fine but if the driver wants a hotel/motel room
thats on their own... I always take plenty of food and
drink so that would be covered... so over all I think
its a pretty good deal.... now to see if I can find
a driver... but if not I guess it goes up for sale
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 11:02 PM

First off let me say sorry to hear your thinking of giving up the drivers seat. Second you might not like, have you gave up those cancer sticks yet? I hope so. I just came back from the hospital , visiting my younger brother [ 52 ] who is in there for respiratory failure. He now has a trach in his throat, on a respirator to keep him alive and can't talk. He wouldn't stop smoking either. I know it only happens to the other guy

Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 11:02 PM

Quote:

I will put the car up for sale and turn more time into my other hot rods for the street..... getting old sure does SUCK

I can relate, even though my health is fine, I bought the roadster after a 20+ plus year hiatus and after running the circuit for 2 years, it wasn't what I thought it would be, although it had it's rewards....now that my son is driving and we built him a truck to play with and now that the roadster's sold, I'll build a street/strip car for myself so we can still race together, but locally, and to be honest even though it won't be as fast does sound like more fun....

Mike, whatever you decide to do, just enjoy it

Rickster
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 11:35 PM

Here's a different angle. Sell off the car and all the smallblock stuff, and use the $$$ to finance a nice NSS car. The et breaks (not trying to put down the hemi and B/RB folks) are slow enough to not need a license. Plus, since they are heads up, I think you would have a better chance at battling it out. Mike, do what you have to, but I sure hate seeing another person sell out and go polish and shine.
Posted By: The Shocker

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/23/10 11:53 PM

Sorry to hear about your health problems .I would sure jump at the chance to drive a faster car like that if i didnt live so far away .There is a good driver out there somewhere for you .Good luck ...
Posted By: BPE

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 12:00 AM

Mike,
Although you may not know it, I have been on this site lurking for a long time before I became a member. I have read your posts, bought parts from you and seen how you have helped people on here. I have seen you at the track and wanted to talk to you but you were busy and I didn't want to bother you, but I will say this, Never give up your passion or your willingness to help others. You yourself know your abilties and limitations but don't sell yourself short, you still have alot to offer.

Rod
Posted By: BobR

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 12:18 AM

Hey Mike,

Get a driver. I don't drive any more but still have a great time at the track. I never really thought that driving was the best part. Find some heads up class where your knowledge and skills are at a premium and run that as the owner/tuner. It's a blast and it will keep you thinking-if not poor.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 12:23 AM

SORRY to hear about your health probs P .. but have you ever thought of running Super Street ? ..... I would think your car would be a KILLER in that class with a muchO milder and ZERO-maintanance A engine on E-85.

ANY of this relate to being a Vet?
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 12:28 AM

Quote:

Hey Mike,

Get a driver. I don't drive any more but still have a great time at the track. I never really thought that driving was the best part. Find some heads up class where your knowledge and skills are at a premium and run that as the owner/tuner. It's a blast and it will keep you thinking-if not poor.

I suspect that you'll miss it if you walk away from it.

Maybe hold the car/equipment for awhile before you make any rash decisions

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 12:37 AM

Quote:

SORRY to hear about your health probs P .. but have you ever thought of running Super Street ? ..... I would think your car would be a KILLER in that class with a muchO milder and ZERO-maintanance A engine on E-85.

ANY of this relate to being a Vet?

Just my cancer(forgot to say I have that also) my
doc figures I got that from my days in Nam, pushing
over trees that were full of defoliant(agent orange)
As to driving other classes guys... aint gonna happen
the brain to hand/eye is too slow for any kind of
decent reaction time... if I didnt have this issue
I would just slow the car down
Posted By: moparx

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 12:44 AM

geeze mr. p. i don't know what to suggest. i know it's tough having health problems , cause i have some too. you have a ton of knowledge we all appriciate, and somewhere out there is a youngster you can teach to be deadly ! good luck with what ever you decide !
Posted By: mark_gates

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 12:49 AM

Geeze, Mike; sorry to hear about the health problems-I've been out of it for a while and hadn't heard. On the Agent Orange thing-my brother's brother-in-law just started receiving a boatload of money from the VA and the govt for his AO-related cancer. If you're not-you should be in on this. It won't restore your health but it sure can make things easier. And shoulder surgery sure does suck, doesn't it? I had mine done 10 years ago. It's fallen apart now and can't be fixed. It's the main reason I'm not in my car anymore-I couldn't safely drive it. Whatever you do, I think we've all got your back. Keep in touch.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 01:17 AM

Quote:

my

PUSHING over trees? .. I did some of that when I was first in-country with a D-9 up and around Tay Ninh. Most of the heavy equipemnt work I did was on a grader though.

THEN I was a helicopter crew-member in and around the Delta and Plain-of-Reeds ...we flew air-cover for the River Rats on many occasions and flew-through AO many times.

Have you contacted the VA on any of this?

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 01:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

my

PUSHING over trees? .. I did some of that when I was first in-country with a D-9 up and around Tay Ninh. Most of the heavy equipemnt work I did was on a grader though.

THEN I was a helicopter crew-member in and around the Delta and Plain-of-Reeds ...we flew air-cover for the River Rats on many occasions and flew-through AO many times.

Have you contacted the VA on any of this?

Yeah I was a D-7 D-9 operator(Corp of Eng, combat)and
a demo guy... I spent most of my time up in the
highlands
Yes I got all of my paper work in for the agent orange
Posted By: DartMan380

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 01:32 AM

Man...My dream come true but to bad you were not closer to Norwalk..

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 01:38 AM

Mike I would look at some of the younger talent coming up from the jr's like Wild Bill's kids.I was at a benefit for a young racer that passed and there was a practice back in the corner to raise money for the cause.Well I witnessed a 14 year old kid cut FOUR perfect lights in a row during the practice tree bracket race
Gus
Posted By: DblOJoe

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 01:41 AM

Good luck with whatever you decide. Just a thought you could always teach your wife to drive.

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 01:47 AM

Quote:

Good luck with whatever you decide. Just a thought you could always teach your wife to drive.

She doesnt want to, to hard on her back
Posted By: cgall

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 01:58 AM

Hey Raff, you gotta be ready for the next thing in your life, if you want to sell out and work on hot rods for awhile, that's fine, I've seen many guys sell out and come back later with something else.

Look at me, I ran brand "C" stuff for 11 years, sold out, quit for 8 years, bought a Mopar, ran S/ST for 10 years, gave that up and bracket raced until work issues shut me down. I might race again, or I might put my car on the street.

Gotta move on and not fret about it.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 03:01 AM

Quote:

Man...My dream come true but to bad you were not closer to Norwalk..

He's not that far.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 03:13 AM

Mike

Nice talking with you at SGMP.

I also had health issues and the van sat in the trailer for five years. I tried to do the hotrod deal. Went to some cars shows, Turkey run at Daytona, Billetproof and Mopar shows in Ocala. You know what got me excited? Firing off the van after it had sat that long and enjoying the smells that go with it.

Sat down with the guy that goes to the races with me and expained it was a new era. I now go to the races just to go down the track and enjoy the ride. If I win a round or two it is just gravey. With buybacks I know I will at least make it to second round.

Down here the 6.50 index racing has become popular as you saw when you were here. It is alot more fun than racing NHRA's BS. There are also a couple of outlaw tracks that have 6.0 racing.

Years back I didn't have many places to race SG so I started the south's Super Gas Association. Maybe you could start some 6.5 races if there aren't any in the area.

I know for me sitting in a parking lot in a lawn chair doesn't cut it. I need to tear something up.

Try wrenching and see how it works out. You still have the car and can jump back in it.

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 03:15 AM

I wish you all the best and I totally agree getting old really does suck.

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 03:27 AM

I know for me sitting in a parking lot in a lawn chair doesn't cut it. I need to tear something up.

Try wrenching and see how it works out. You still have the car and can jump back in it.

I dont plan on the car show stuff.. did that stuff
before... I just want to travel in my hot rod...
might do something like drag week.... if I find a
driver I will wrench and I'm sure that'll make me
happy
Posted By: Islandcuda

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 05:15 AM

This story is just so sad,... wish I lived close mike
Posted By: 383man

383man - 04/24/10 05:41 AM

I know about getting old as I have alot of issue's myself. But you seem like a real down to earth guy and I think alot of younger guys would love to drive your car and work with you. Good luck whichever you do. Ron
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: 383man - 04/24/10 10:01 AM

good luck , It shouldn't be hard to find a good driver. go to your local track and watch some of the young guys.
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 10:52 AM

Sorry to hear this, Mike. You are right- getting old sucks. Good luck with whatever you decide. Hopefully you can hook up w/ a young gun and teach him (or her) a thing or two.

Tim
Posted By: rockerbob

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 12:25 PM

Mike sorry to hear you are having a bad time. You are one of the smartest people on this board. Always have helpfull info you are willing to share. I think you would make one heck of a crew chief. I wish you lived down here & ran the local tracks cause I'd be buggin the heck out of you Do what you need to do to feel better. I'm betting that being at the track with your friends is part of that plan

Attached picture 5944231-RACECAR002x.JPG
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 01:57 PM

Hey MR P.
Hang in there and chin up .
Really now, getting old is a fantastic thing.
Forget when I had a normal life, with no thought of my limited, shortened lifespan.
From what I know of you and our brief encounters at Norwalk, you have done very well with much left to do.
Dont distress on the way your lifes road leads.
Over the bumps and thru the turns, opportunity and happiness abound.
Keep the throttle wide open, take in as much life as a blown fueler gulps nitro.
Chew your blueberries a bit slower and a couple more times... to enjoy.

< me before cancer
< me every day alive since
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 01:57 PM

Mike, have you tried the local auto shop teachers? I would look for a kid who is a real gear head, have him help you in the shop part time, then you will know what he is worth, then after he has paid some dues teach him how to drive, school is out for summer soon and lots of guys will be lookin for something to do.

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 02:15 PM

Quote:

Mike, have you tried the local auto shop teachers? I would look for a kid who is a real gear head, have him help you in the shop part time, then you will know what he is worth, then after he has paid some dues teach him how to drive, school is out for summer soon and lots of guys will be lookin for something to do.

This is my plan of attack (to hit the auto class)
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 02:26 PM

Quote:

Mike I would look at some of the younger talent coming up from the jr's like Wild Bill's kids.I was at a benefit for a young racer that passed and there was a practice back in the corner to raise money for the cause.Well I witnessed a 14 year old kid cut FOUR perfect lights in a row during the practice tree bracket race
Gus

I have to agree Raff, scope out the kids at the local tracks. There is some awesome talent sitting in those cars.

Another reason to consider it would be the tremndous help to the rest of the family. I know most dads (myself included) have no idea how we can manage to get a big car for them and let them continue to race.

The opportunty you offer will be well aprectiated by the right family I beleive.

And I have no doubt you would choose the right family.
Posted By: 727builder

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 02:41 PM

Has to be a hard decision to quit driving. Been doing it 25 years myself and hate to see the day come when i cant do it anymore. Best of luck on what ever you do.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 02:53 PM

Quote:

Raff is one of the good guys!!

Posted By: BBR

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 04:03 PM

Mike!

I say finish up a street car for Drag Week!!!!!
Posted By: bill_greenwood

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 08:36 PM

I'm having serious thoughts, too. I lost my job a year ago, and with that went my sponsorship money along with the trailer. I did some consulting for several months, which didn't pay the bills by a long shot. I started actively looking for work last September, and finally landed a job that seems to have some great potential- I'm now a Hotsy territory manager- but our retirement savings have taken a beating. (I guess that's what I get for taking my boss at his word for being ethical and honest. We shook hands on a deal regarding the future of the company, only to find out later that he was negotiating to sell the company to a bigger company at the very time he was making a deal with me.) All my racing money will come from after tax income while we're trying to rebuild our retirement fund at the same time. I have an income target, and if I get to it, I'll keep racing, but if I can't get there in a year, the car will go up for sale next spring.
The upside is that the Alberta economy seems to be bouncing back pretty darn good, and my brother wants me to go in with him on expanding his trucking company, which will also help out. Bottom line? I'll beat up my golf clubs a bit more this year, and see what I can make happen.
It won't be the end of the world if you have to hang up the old Sundance, Mike. If you do, at least hang out on Moparts occasionally, as you are a fount of knowledge, and it's no pint keeping it all stuffed inside your head.
It needs to leak out occasionally, otherwise it's just inanimate tissue.
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 08:43 PM

Mike,
The High School Vo-Tech sounds like a great idea. Looking back some 30 years, I still use more from auto, woodworking, and mechanical drawing in high school than all else. Was just talking about this the other day with old school buddy about how much we gained from our Vo-Tech teacher. Maybe have the Sophmore's and Jr.'s wrench the car, learn it and reward comes Sr year with driving to sort out the less dedicated. Aside from all that thought....hope you get to feeling better!
Posted By: The Shocker

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/24/10 09:22 PM

Not to take away from MR P Bodies thread (because i think alot of him and his know how),but if someone in the North Texas /DFW or southern Oklahoma area is in the same delima ,let me know.I would be gratefull to drive your sub 10 second car any way you want me to and help wrenching any way i can if you want.I am currently racing my own mid 11 second Dart ,but would jump at the chance to go faster.$$$ is the obsticle i have at the moment ...
Posted By: BluCuda

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/25/10 12:18 PM

Mr P. This is sad to hear. You will be in our prayers. My son and I will always remember those wild, wheelstanding starts of yours. We stopped by your pit once and enjoyed talking to you. If we only lived alot closer. My son wishes he could be the chosen one.
Posted By: dare_dude

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/25/10 01:46 PM

Mike! I wish you the best will keep you in my prayers. I'am turnning 62 in Nov. damn good health so far.(been blessed) After I get daughter"s wedding taken care of hope to put BB in dart and do some racing again!!!
Posted By: blown360

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/25/10 04:31 PM

Hey MR-P Its sorry to hear about all your health problems mate. I really hope you can find a suitable driver so you can keep racing! There must be tons of people who would love the oppurtunity to be involved in drag racing I know for sure if I lived stateside I'd be knocking on your door! You have so much knowledge and experience and whoevers lucky enough to get the ride will sure as learn heaps of valueable information and techniques!Wish it could be me! You've always helped me whenever Ive had any questions and that means a lot and im sure theres a heck load of people that would second that! Whatever happens MR-P I wish you all the best!

Re: 383man - 04/25/10 05:37 PM

Sorry to hear about all the medical problems Mike. I know what you are going through as I am in the same boat. I am lucky I have my son Casey that does the driving now. One thing you could try if you want to be a Pro car is a transbrake button that is adjustable to aid in the reaction times.

Attached picture 5946459-CIMG0365.jpg
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/26/10 02:04 PM

Quote:

I have been thinking of packing it up and...
I am going to look at the local high school/trade school to see if I can find a driver(I prefer a local kid...and to be honest I wouldnt mind at all just being the crew chief on
it as I do enjoy working on it...
turn more time into my other hot rods for the street...

Man, I missed a lot in the few days I haven't been here. I haven't read thru this thread. (no time yet). First, whatever you decide, my best wishes. As you already see, there are many ways to enjoy the sport/hobby. I'd like to submit a vote to the idea of you finishing the street rod (looks good in pics) then finding a kid to race with. I'll keep my eyes open for a good kid, maybe I can recommend.

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/26/10 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have been thinking of packing it up and...
I am going to look at the local high school/trade school to see if I can find a driver(I prefer a local kid...and to be honest I wouldnt mind at all just being the crew chief on
it as I do enjoy working on it...
turn more time into my other hot rods for the street...

Man, I missed a lot in the few days I haven't been here. I haven't read thru this thread. (no time yet). First, whatever you decide, my best wishes. As you already see, there are many ways to enjoy the sport/hobby. I'd like to submit a vote to the idea of you finishing the street rod (looks good in pics) then finding a kid to race with. I'll keep my eyes open for a good kid, maybe I can recommend.

Thanks Sean... if you know of some one up in our
area it would be good

Eric... my car isnt set up for throttle stop racing
but if you want to use it thats cool... I can crew
for ya
Posted By: topside

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/26/10 04:36 PM

Mr. P, gettin' older isn't for the weak-minded. You know your stuff, and you're anasset not only to this board but to your fellow racers. Personally, I would go to the track and watch the younger racers in the staging lanes & pits, and see who's a leaver and a natural. Buddy of mine did that with his car when he decided to get out of the seat. You might find a kid in school, but you might be arguing with him all the time because his teacher doesn't know what you know. Crew Chiefing a good kid in a car you know inside out would be cool and a noble way to pass on your skill & knowledge.
I'm probably nearing the time when I'll be done driving the drag car - I just don't run it as often anymore - but at 58, I'm probably going back to road-racing, at least track days: it lasts longer and is slightly more forgiving than having only 10 seconds to do everything perfectly.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/28/10 01:29 AM

Mike, I feel for you on your health issues, my prayers are with you. My shoulder is getting better but my driving ain't I'm 65 now,(retired since 52 yrs old after the company I work for got bought out ) three time cancer survivor I'm sure you will be a survivor also As far as drag racing and fun why do it if it ain't fun anymore I take my Duster out as many times as I feel like it each year , I still like the hit on the line and I occasionally win a round or two, I to have thought about putting a younger driver in the car and coaching, mentoring them. I have a 17 yr old grandson that may fill the bill, if he gets his grades up enough Only you are in charge of what you do, d what is best for you and yours. I'm getting closer on having my hot rod (1940 Ford 2dr. sedan)done and have two other cars that I want to do, bring back from half junk to decent running and looking, just need more money and tme A guy needs a reason to get up in the morning and it might as well be doing something you like and I like working on cars and motors I hope yours is to I will take you up on the exhaust advice as soon as I get the 527 back together and redynoed

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/28/10 01:43 AM

Yeah Cab I would like to finish up my 38 Ply and I
also want to do my TT Rampage(or it might be a blower
I have both set ups).... I can still race at the local
2 tracks(outlaw tracks) but dont think I will be all
that competitive (no big deal to me.... well thats not
true)
Posted By: racerhog

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/28/10 02:15 AM

Head down to the your local track and find the mopar guys and find someone to hang out with and ask them to drive the car....Lots of summit guys out there to get into something.. Sounds fun to me.....
Posted By: 6packattk

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/28/10 04:15 AM

Your a great mentor Mr.P and whatever you decide will work out,you are a store house of info so don`t jump to no decisions and it will all work out.Put out some feelers for drivers and go from there.Who knows,a couple years from now you may be glad you kept it or regret you didn`t.....I dislike them there regrets.
Posted By: FY1CUDA

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/28/10 04:42 AM

Sorry to hear about all the health issues Mike!
Go back to the street, it's usually a lot more seat time and a heck of a lot safer in your case!

In the end, do what makes you happy! None of us are getting any younger, so make yourself happy and have as much fun as you can.

All the best,

Chuck West
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Yet Another Thinking About Quitting - 04/28/10 05:05 AM

Mr P, you have a great wealth of racing knowledge and all I can say is you will make someone's dream come true. I know for myself I would have loved nothing better than for a pro like you take me under his wing and show me how things are done in the racing scene. I had nobody around to even really help me get into cars at all. I guarantee you there's someone of good character in your area who would absoloutely love the opportunity.
© 2024 Moparts Forums