Moparts

493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts???

Posted By: The Cuda Guy

493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/09/10 02:47 AM

Hey guys just dropped my 73 cuda off with a great friend, he is going to put togeather a 493 (mancini Kit) RB for me while Im over seas for the next year. Just wanted to see what you guys think about the build and what type of power it will make. This will be a street driven car that will see a lot of track time.

1973 440 Block
4.15 Eagle Crank & Rods
Diamond Flat Top Pistons
Stealth Heads (Cleaned Up & Gasket Matched)
Roller Rockers 1.5
Comp Cam, Solid Roller: .600 lift
Comp Solid Roller lifters
Eddy Victor intake (matched to heads)
950 carb
2" Primary Headers/Full 3" exhaust
3500 stall

Looking to get about 10.1 to 11.1 comp. Want to run on pump gas.

Dana 60 cut to B-Body specs and 3.73 or 4.10 gear & New HD Springs with 1" relo kit, also getting subframe connectors put on. Going to go with 10" wide rims with ET streets or a similar tire.

My friend who is building the engine and taking care of all my stuff suggested I might want to switch to a smaller non roller solid (.566 lift) cam for my build. What are your guys thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Don
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/09/10 02:58 AM

Sounds really close to my combo. Yours will probably dyno about 570-600HP with about 640TQ.
Posted By: ahy

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/09/10 03:31 AM

A few thoughts based on building a similar 496" B. 10 - 11 CR is the right range. Depending on cam, closer to 10.2-10.5 would work better on pump gas. This requires a dish piston. With a long duration cam and good quench 11 may work but that's pushing it. BB's don't like detonation and you have to finish the race to win.

If you want to get the most out of it on pump gas, build a zero deck engine with a common .040 head gasket to get arount .040 quench with a "D" dish to get compression where it needs to be.

The stock port style heads make more peak power and lower ET with a big cam and high stall convertor but drivability and fuel economy suffer. I think its more fun to have a more moderate cam + convertor and enjoy the mid range torque of the stroker.

On cam type, the roller can provide better performance and avoids the issue of low zinc oil. However, since the BB wasn't designed for a roller, component selection and setup are critical. Perhaps your builder isn't comfortable with this. I wouldn't be either for what is worth.

My setup has 10.2 CR and a .55 lift 243deg@.050 "fast" MM lobe mechanical flat tappet cam from Muscle Motors with comp "pro magnum" rockers. It works with the stock Ed springs. I run diesel engine oil + STP to get additional oil protection.

I guess it has 550 HP at around 5600 RPM. Torque builds quickly starting at around 2000 RPM. Mine's an manual transmission application. With an auto, a little extra stall vs stock would be needed for sharp performance but not much.

I guess I'd follow your builder's advice and go with a more moderate FT cam.

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/09/10 03:49 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, I guess I forgot to add that it will have a 3000-3500 stall and 2 inch primary headers and a full 3" exh through flow master 40's.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/09/10 08:56 AM

You mentioned track duty alot do you have an ET goal? at least your going dana from the start also some might want to know the cam timing events / specs to give you a better choice on compression I think the duration @ 50 and intake valve closing ABDC should be balanced with compression choice also so you dont bleed off too much and loosing some free ponies! whats the weight on that thing anyways

here is something for ya to play around with so you get a better feel for it... I would say "about" 9.0 to 1 dynamic is pump gas frendly

http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php
Posted By: jbc426

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/09/10 11:53 AM

I'd buy him a copy of AndyF's book and let him read that first. What are you doing overseas for a year?
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/09/10 06:17 PM

Quote:

A few thoughts based on building a similar 496" B. 10 - 11 CR is the right range. Depending on cam, closer to 10.2-10.5 would work better on pump gas. This requires a dish piston. With a long duration cam and good quench 11 may work but that's pushing it. BB's don't like detonation and you have to finish the race to win.

If you want to get the most out of it on pump gas, build a zero deck engine with a common .040 head gasket to get arount .040 quench with a "D" dish to get compression where it needs to be.

The stock port style heads make more peak power and lower ET with a big cam and high stall convertor but drivability and fuel economy suffer. I think its more fun to have a more moderate cam + convertor and enjoy the mid range torque of the stroker.

On cam type, the roller can provide better performance and avoids the issue of low zinc oil. However, since the BB wasn't designed for a roller, component selection and setup are critical. Perhaps your builder isn't comfortable with this. I wouldn't be either for what is worth.

My setup has 10.2 CR and a .55 lift [Email]243deg@.050[/Email] "fast" MM lobe mechanical flat tappet cam from Muscle Motors with comp "pro magnum" rockers. It works with the stock Ed springs. I run diesel engine oil + STP to get additional oil protection.

I guess it has 550 HP at around 5600 RPM. Torque builds quickly starting at around 2000 RPM. Mine's an manual transmission application. With an auto, a little extra stall vs stock would be needed for sharp performance but not much.

I guess I'd follow your builder's advice and go with a more moderate FT cam.

I had "reverse dome" Ross pistons in my 440 with B1-BS heads and 10 to 1 CR. My engine builder felt this gives the best quench on pump gas. The reverse dome is like a "mirror" of the combustion chamber and is measured in CCs for the CR you want.
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/09/10 06:27 PM

Quote:

I'd buy him a copy of AndyF's book and let him read that first. What are you doing overseas for a year?

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/09/10 06:50 PM

I would look at a 4.25 stroke with BB Chevy rod journal sizes, this will increase the torque and HP s well as reduce the recriprocating weight, which will help the motor accelerate faster I have built several of these motors but not with those heads or cam. I would shoot for 10.5 to 1 compression

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/10/10 12:45 AM

I appricate all the comments. Im pretty sure he has Andy's book, not that he would need it he has been building engines for 30 years. The car is stock cuda weight im guessing 3600 lbs. I would like to see low 11 sec qtr mile times.

What are your guys thoughts on switching out from the solid roller I have to a smaller solid cam?

Im in the Army and headed to Afganistan for the next year.

Here is the kit I got from Mancini:
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/493440flpist.html
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/10/10 01:26 AM

I have a solid roller cam in my 440 and so far I really like it. There is about 1500 hundred miles on the motor so far. I lashed The valves one time so far,but it did not need it.
Also since you asked, I think you should get a better set of heads like Indy EZs or SRs and open them up to a Max Wedge port window. That big of a motor needs a bigger head.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/10/10 07:39 AM

The 440source heads are going to be your bottleneck. I would be looking at their CNC stealths instead of the base model heads. With unported CNC heads you will make a lot of torq, but I don't think you'll get much over 550hp out of it, at it will probably want to peak near 6000rpm.

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/10/10 11:20 AM

I had a 440/499 with a solid roller 248/254 @ 50 at .614 / .620 gross lift with 1.6 rockers at the time. this was with ported iron heads 906s with 2.14/1.81 valves. car ran GREAT on pump gas and out on the street and was heavier than your car by a couple hundred... had a coan 3000 stall in it! at least with that solid roller and your ET goal your covered there I read posts on here all the time about people wanting to change from a solid cam to a roller cam!
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/10/10 03:00 PM

Hello The Cuda Guy,

I would consider the 440 2D intake for that combo and keep the roller idea. I agree with the others about keeping it around the 10.5 mark and not hitting 11 on the cr. I would not go over 3200 on the stall and get the 3.73 gear.

Damon

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/10/10 07:48 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming.

Don
Posted By: Old School

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/10/10 08:11 PM

Quote:

Hello The Cuda Guy,

I would consider the 440 2D intake for that combo and keep the roller idea. I agree with the others about keeping it around the 10.5 mark and not hitting 11 on the cr. I would not go over 3200 on the stall and get the 3.73 gear.

Damon

x 2 on the dualplane,i have four of them.

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/10/10 10:23 PM

I'm suprised no one mentioned the 337 yet ! But atleast the 2d can go out to max wedge down the road if need be!

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/10/10 11:10 PM

Does anyone have a link to the 337? I have seriously concidered the Indy dual plane.

I guess the bottom line is that my engine builder will know what is best, I wanted to get some thoughts/opinions on the cam change should I keep the roller or go just solid with street/strip in mind.

Thanks for all the comments.

Don
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/10/10 11:36 PM

Hello,

Here is one from the Tech Archives about the 337. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post4613252
I think it might also be a good manifold for your use. I would give the nod to the 2D in your application though. Go roller. Get the block set up for a roller and you will likely not have to do any block mod's in the future unless you really step it up.

Damon
Posted By: jp66charger

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/10/10 11:36 PM

Sounds pretty similar to my set up. M1 with lightly ported eddy heads and 625 solid roller. Started with 4.10 and went to 4.30 gears with 8" 3800 converter. Big help came (.3) when I switched from 950 to a 1050 4150 quick fuel. If you don't already have the 950 then by the 1050 right away. Your car is lighter than mine and probably a bigger tire (mine are 275-60-15)and I weigh almost 4300#. You may crack into the tens since mine is 11.15 on super stocks. Good luck and be carefull overseas. Thank You for your service!!!!!

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/11/10 12:37 AM

Thanks for the link, what is the rpm range on the 337 I didnt see it listed.

Don
Posted By: Lifsgrt

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/11/10 04:11 AM

Don, I've just ordered a Scott Brown solid flat tappet stick for my 493 build - with flat tops zero decked for about 11:1 CR. Comp Cams recommended a flat tappet cam for street/strip use as well, as they said it's not as rough on the valve train. This was based on as much as 1000 miles a year including street driving and some time at the track. I should know in the next month or so how it's working out, I'll let you know. Jerry

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 04/11/10 04:33 AM

Jerry,

Thanks for chiming in. My builder said the same thing about the life of the valve train, engine ect. I will keep you posted on what I go with, I will be defulting all decsions to the builder as he has 30 years of mopar drag racing experience and engine building and I trust him fully.

Sounds like me and you will be running close at the track this next year! See you guys when I get back into town.

Don

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 04:14 AM

With 3:23 gears, the car ran 11.53 @ 118 at Monster Mopar. Picked up 8 mph and a full second. Looking to get a little more next weekend @ Bowling Green KY at the Nostalgia Nationals. Big difference in seat-of-the-pants feel...BIG smile on my face!
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 05:06 AM

my old combo was 493. 10.5-1, 590 mp cam. edel heads, tunnel ram w/six pack. 2" headers. 3" full exhaust. 4000 stall, 4.10s. ran 10.50s at 125 at 3800lbs. i shifted at 5800

if i was you, i would do the 337 intake and port the roof of either stealths or rpm heads to match intake. put the biggest 4150 carb on it. a 1050 quickfuel maybe. i would think about a hydrolic roller cam
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 05:40 AM

Don come home Safe and THANK YOU!
Posted By: 383man

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 05:58 AM

I plan on building close to the same combo this winter. I will be around 500 cubes and I plan to use Eddy RPM cnc'd heads. I talked with Dwayne Porter and he will be specing me a cam when I am ready. He also recomended a flat tappet solid as I put over 1000 miles a year on my 63 street driving and I dont want all that spring pressure on my valvetrain as I am getting old and dont want to change out roller lifters and valve springs every 3000 miles. Mine is also street/strip and I plan to run around 11.0 comp as I will use a flattop zero deck piston and will have a cam speced to keep my cyl pressure safe on pump gas. I will use the .040 head gasket with closed chamber heads for good .040 quench. I plan to run a very agressive cam to get the most power and torque out of it as I want the combo to put my 63 solidly in the 10's. And I dont care if it has a lumpy idle as I love that and have a loose enough converter. Good luck on your build and thank you for your service in our armed forces. Ron
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 08:02 AM

Thank you for serving

and your combo is VERY similar to mine too . I would do a roller cam if you can

ive battled real bad weather and gremlins this year , but i know this thing will go at least 10.30's or 6.50 1/8th or so ...

it did turn a 1.411 60' recently . and a 10.40 last may. But we have had brutal humidity/weather from may thru sept. here !

Get a good converter 4-5k and good rear shocks off the top of my head . And call Hughes Engines if you are trying to pick out a certain cam-- they are a great help and mopar only

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 01:26 PM

Quote:

With 3:23 gears, the car ran 11.53 @ 118 at Monster Mopar. Picked up 8 mph and a full second. Looking to get a little more next weekend @ Bowling Green KY at the Nostalgia Nationals. Big difference in seat-of-the-pants feel...BIG smile on my face!

Jerry,

"Holly ainchent thread Batman!" Sounds great! I bet your excited about trying to cut into that number huh!

My engine is at the machine shop right now getting all the ins and outs done to it. Cant wait to catch up to you guys next summer.

Thanks again to everyone who provided feedback on this and my other threads, reguarding my engine and car.

Don
Posted By: Von

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 01:52 PM

As mentioned the heads are too small for that CID. Id go a little better on heads, but if you cant, CNC them for sure.

As far as a cam, to get to the 11s you dang sure dont need a roller. If that is all you are after, then ya, Id stick with a flat tappet.

Also, IMO dont call anybody listed in this thread for cam suggestions, but Dwayne Porter...nuff said.

Compression, IMO 383Man has it right, shoot for 11.0 to 1....if you are going to run some duration...if your gonna stay with the baby duration then cut back the comp....

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 02:59 PM

I guess I should update this thread a litte since it has taken on life again.

Here is where Im at:
1973 440 Truck Block
CNC Stealth Heads
Lunati .586 lift solid cam
Gridle & Steel Caps
Mancini 493 stroke kit
2" Inch Primary Headers
Moroso 8qt Oil Pan

Looking into intakes, carbs, harmonic ballancers now.

Currently the engine block is getting all the machine work done it. The engine builder is great at keeping me in the loop and is a great friend.

Also talking through not switching to a exhaust cutout valance and going with a shorter exhaust exit in front of the rear wheels. Currently the car does not have this valance was looking into running it all the way out back, but leaning towards not doing this and going with the shorter exhaust and running some cherry bomb style mufflers stright through design.

Over all goal is to be in the high 10's low 11's. Going to put the cuda on a diet and lose some weight to help this out!

Thanks for the input guys, I appricate all the positive comments! That is what I like about this forum, most like to help out others. Thanks.

Don
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 08:17 PM

Don,,,just so you know whats coming...you will get your car into the 11's
then low 11's
then 10's
then low 10's
then.........

yes Im a speed junky

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 08:20 PM

you should start a what will it run thread don! ill say 11.40
Posted By: caper

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 08:20 PM

Here is my engine , built by Scot Brown.

http://www.buyracingparts.com/dyno-ehead496.html

just had it freshened up after 800 runs and about 2000 street miles. 3600# with driver It went 10.18 131 mph 1.42 60 foot , that run was in mineshaft air -382 feet. usually goes 10.41
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 08:43 PM

CAPER, thats a beautiful car
Posted By: caper

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 08:58 PM

Thanks man.
http://s85.photobucket.com/home/caper_2006/index
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 11:35 PM

I love my 493 Street/Strip combo:
Eagle crank
K-1 rods
Wiseco pistons
Indy EZ heads from Nick Wilson
Comp 588 XTQ series solid flat cam
Eddy Performer RPM intake
Quick Fuel/Pro-Max 1050 carb.
Isky iron rockers done by Gary at RAS
10.9 to 1 compression on pump gas
6.96 @ 97.5 1/8 mile
11.13 @ 125.4 1/4 mile
I also STRONGLY recommend the Firecore distributor ,wires and coil
Car is 3560# with me,3.54 gear in the rear,3.27 low gear.
Gus

Attached picture 6247073-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/12/10 11:56 PM

I'd definately go with the indy 440-2d intake, 337 flows more on a BIG motor but you don't have enough head onthat combo to make it pay off, the 2D will keep up with 360+ cfm heads....plus the 337 ports are on the small side, need a good bit of work to go to MX and they're really too big to work on a 906 port unless it's opened up a pretty good bit.

I'd run a Bullet Hydraulic roller around 258/264 @ .050 on 108 in at 104, you could run a solid roller but the spring pressure you'd need to run it won't be worth the trade off unless you're spinning +6500, my (slightly bigger) bullet spins 6800 without problem and the MW self-ported 440-2d has no trouble keeping up with Chapman Stage VI's Maxies that outflow most BB wedge heads (other than a B-1) on both sides. Bullet sure makes some sweet HR stuff. I thought about a 337 (and I have one all set to go), but my 'little' 517 probably needs another 40 cubes or about a .720+ lift solid roller cam for it to pay off (ie, to gain more power than it gives up in torque/throttle response). Guy's have tested the 337 vs the 2d on some BIG (572") motors with Big heads and it's worth 40-50 over a 2d, but I doubt the spread would be anything close to that on MY 2d (and I offered it up several times)

When comaparing a single plane to a dual plane it's generally accepted that a Dual plane wants/needs a bit larger CFM carb to make a fair max HP comparison, you have to compensate for the fact that each intake runner is not exposed to all 4 barrels at WOT like it is when using a single plane.

IMO the ultimate street 500" intake would be a ported MW 2d with a 4500 flange The Pro-systems tweaked 1000HP responds like a GP sportbike on my motor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd8GeXYYkKU

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/13/10 12:00 AM

anyone else like the old TM7
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/13/10 01:20 AM

While I agree this type of combo doesn't really "need" a roller camshaft, when the budget allows I think a mild roller is a good choice. No need to chase down boutique oil or use additives, no break in required are a couple reasons. No doubt a flat tappet will get the job done though.

If done correctly the engine combo should definitely make enough power for high 10s, low 11s in a street/strip type of build in a b/e body...I don't think anyone here would debate that.

The main things I can add are, don't forget about converter, suspension,tires, and the rest of the car.

Myself I have a long way to go on suspension but am getting there over time. To give an idea how much work I have left to do....my battery is still under the hood...and I had stock shocks until fairly recently.....so I'm kinda speaking from experience. 600+HP is nice to have but putting it to the ground is a whole other thing.

For comparison, mine is:
'71 casting 400 w/ground/reworked oe 440 crank, 451ci
10.75:1, Diamond/Manley pistons and rods
E heads with no porting
.630 endurance grind solid roller
Home ported Victor, 1000cfm Race Demon
2" super comps, 3.5" X pipe, ultraflows
4500 stall, 4.10 dana
wrapped in my rusty b body
Best et so far in signature...

No it isn't a 493 but the performance levels are similar and the top end of the motor is very similar. More cubes should make the job easier to do as long as it can be made to hook up.

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/13/10 11:32 AM

The suspension is going to be something along the line of D60 3.73, SS type springs, Hoosier QTPs or similar tire. That is what me and the builder came to when we talked through the concepts and goals of the build. The converter is a 3500.

As far as the heads holding me back, I have seen guys on here running high 9s low 10s with ported 906s so wont the CNC Stealths be ok looking at it from that point of view, they should flow 320 @ 600 according to the website. As far as the what will it run, I will save that for when I get the car back and all is said and done.

Don

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/13/10 11:42 AM

Big compression does wonders for the heads you mention ! I know you wanna stay on pump fuel also!
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/13/10 12:50 PM

Stealths are fine, especially in CNC form, 320 CFM will get you ~650hp with the right cam/compression, I just think the rest of your combo is better suited to the Indy 2d than the others mentioned

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/13/10 03:54 PM

Quote:

Big compression does wonders for the heads you mention ! I know you wanna stay on pump fuel also!

The comp will be either 10.5:1 - 11:1. Im not going to go higher than that because pump gas is a must are you talking higher than 11:1?

Im sure it will be fine and I will be close to 600hp it will come down to dialing it in on the track to get the #s out of it.

Don

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 10/13/10 04:11 PM

Quote:

Stealths are fine, especially in CNC form, 320 CFM will get you ~650hp with the right cam/compression, I just think the rest of your combo is better suited to the Indy 2d than the others mentioned

Wize,

I just checked out your website! I love the "High-High" blender comment! Thanks for your feedback, I am seriously considering the Indy intake or the 337. Thanks to all of you who have offered advice. Im just excited about getting the car done and down the track!

I have to show back up to Carlisle with a car that will run, after my last adventure at qtr aces the cuda fell on its face off the line and I got SMOKED by the MW Duster.

Don

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 02/19/13 06:27 PM

Speaking of "Holy ancient thread Batman", how'd your build work out Don?
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 02/19/13 08:09 PM

It's in my shop right now. Cudaguy has been to Iraq, Afganistan, and is now stationed in Hawaii till oct 2014. Engine is built and installed, trans is done, doing his dana now, and pulling the a/c system, plus some wiring work issues that had been haunting him. Stealth heads upgraded by Modern cyl heads, roller cam from sledgehammer, Victor intake, profab 950, 2 inch hooker super comps, 3800 ta with cheetah rmv, dana has a 373 with a 35 spline powerlok , moser axles. He is in town for a couple of days for family. He stopped by and drove his car for the first time yesterday, but only for 1/2 mile on a gravel road It will give him something to dream about until oct 2014.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 02/19/13 09:24 PM

Wow when I posted on here I did not have my 493 built and its been in my 63 since June 2011. Here is what I used so far:

440 block .030 over and main studs
440Source kit with 4.15 crank and dished pistons
Indy EZ heads from Dwayne Porter at 10.6 comp....I decided to go with EZ heads in case I want to step it up more in the future.
Custom grind cam solid flat tappet from Dwayne Porter .585 & .592 that is 264 & 270 @ .050 on a 110 LSA and its in on a 106 ICL.
Hughes 1.6 roller rockers
Indy dual plane intake and an 850 DP
Mallory dist and MP ign
TTI 2" headers and a full X-pipe 3" exh

I actually have only put 7 passes on the eng with a 10.76 @ 124.49 best in my 3700 lb 63. It is a street car I drove to the track and it runs on 92 pump. I really think it will go faster with more carb as it wanted a ton of jet in the 850. Good luck with yours , Ron

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 02/19/13 11:09 PM

Love your engine build. Cudaguys car has been running for quite a while now, were just not in a hurry to wrap it up, with him being gone out of the country. He has me do things to his car as finances allows. This lets me do others things to, so it works out good for us.

I also added billet mains and a girdle from 440 source. I am sure Don is hoping to run around the same times as you are. I told him low 11's and maybe be able to dip into the 10's once he's got it all dialed in. He will still have other things to do to his car, once it leaves my shop.

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 02/19/13 11:16 PM

pics or lie alan

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 02/20/13 12:16 AM

hehehe figures, I was waiting for that from you.. There is actually a youtube vid link I think on CC.c site. It just shows a small burnout in my shop tho. Jason, when Don drove his car yesterday, he didn't want to take it out of 1st or even go up to 2k. The gravel road had him hipmotized. His next visit, the car will be ready for the highway. No insurance kept me from letting him venture off to far. I live on a very short deadend road way out in the sticks.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: 493 RB Steet/Strip Combo, What Are Your Thoughts??? - 02/20/13 02:52 AM

I just want to say Thanks for your service, and stay safe while in Afghanistan!

© 2024 Moparts Forums