Moparts

checking piston to valve with domes

Posted By: deaks

checking piston to valve with domes - 04/06/10 09:32 PM

I'm claying my domed pistons for clearance and wondered if it is common practise to cover the whole dome in clay or different points of the dome. The last time i did this was with my old six pack pistons when i fitted my 76cc eddy heads, so not much clay was needed to fill the valve reliefs.
This time i may have got a little heavy handed with the clay and couldn't compress it, so i've taken the heads off again and i'm going to roll it a out thinner and try again.
Mick
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: checking piston to valve with domes - 04/06/10 10:03 PM

I just did mine last week and I just rolled strings of clay about .250" diameter and strung them (four lines) over the valve reliefs, from one side to the other.
Brian
Posted By: deaks

Re: checking piston to valve with domes - 04/06/10 10:08 PM

Thanks, that's what i was thinking of doing, just wondered what others more experienced than me did.
Mick
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: checking piston to valve with domes - 04/06/10 10:53 PM

I just did mine (flat tops).. just rigged a dial indicator for it, put check springs on, and pushed the valve down till it hit the piston for every 5 degrees of crank rotation where it was going to be close, i.e. not at BDC..lol.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: checking piston to valve with domes - 04/07/10 04:08 AM

The clay method helps on checking the lateral clearances, edge of valves to the edge of the valve reliefs. That needs to be known I have had several motors that did not have enough lateral clearances to the valve reliefs once the motor was warmed up and driven BTW, 1/8 string of clay works good across the valve reliefs and anywhere else your worried about
© 2024 Moparts Forums