Moparts

727 parking pawls-levers

Posted By: VernMotor

727 parking pawls-levers - 04/04/10 05:34 PM

Did they do any year change on the pawl-lever-tailshaft ? Can't get my shifter adjusted to this trans to go all the way in to park. never have any trouble with this before. My trans that blew up end of last year and for 3 years before work fine. Borrowed a trans at the end of last year. Never had to ajust anything work great. Now with this trans don't want to go all the way in to park It is close you can hear the pawl ratching-clicking almost going in. Same shifter-cable-valve body. only thing change here is main case-tall shaft housing. has same outputshaft and parking gear. I have ajusted it 6-7 times over the last two days. will start in park and neutal. any ideas..I am about to put my other tailshaft housing back on it ?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 727 parking pawls-levers - 04/04/10 06:58 PM

If you're using the same VB I will assume that you're using the same park rod that worked in other transmissions, the 904 and 727 park rods are different

With the VB removed, look into the hole that the park rod passes through and note the position of the snap ring that holds the tapered ramp into the tailhousing; in rare cases the position of the snap ring ears will interfere with the park rod operation. If the bottom ear is installed low in the housing the park rod can get wedged against the pawl.

Attached picture 5907185-Parkcavity.jpg

Re: 727 parking pawls-levers - 04/04/10 07:03 PM

Same park rod..Ok I will look the snap ring..Good info thank you.

Re: 727 parking pawls-levers - 04/05/10 11:00 PM

Well here is pics of both parlking pawls.. something a little diff about them.

Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: 727 parking pawls-levers - 04/05/10 11:13 PM

Which one are you having trouble with?

Re: 727 parking pawls-levers - 04/05/10 11:27 PM

The one that has fluid in it. Is the trouble maker ! I just try the old one and it works fine ! that what I get for trying a new one Just because LOL.. the new one came off a late model lock up small block 727..got me ?? Maybe they ain't all the same ?
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: 727 parking pawls-levers - 04/05/10 11:45 PM

Kinda looks like the cut out on the lower one is smaller then the upper

Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 727 parking pawls-levers - 04/06/10 09:27 PM

The snap ring in the upper pic is clocked in the preferred position, in the lower pic the ear of the snap ring is low enough to allow the rod to become positioned under the sprag and over the ear of the snap ring.

Attached picture 5910914-DSC00317.jpg

Re: 727 parking pawls-levers - 04/06/10 09:41 PM

OK I see what you are saying John..You bet I be looking for that from now on !! Thank you
Posted By: moparniac

Re: 727 parking pawls-levers - 05/31/10 03:33 AM

Quote:

The snap ring in the upper pic is clocked in the preferred position, in the lower pic the ear of the snap ring is low enough to allow the rod to become positioned under the sprag and over the ear of the snap ring.

wonder if this is my issue ... it looks like this
© 2024 Moparts Forums