Moparts

Byron Dragway

Posted By: MikeyT

Byron Dragway - 04/03/10 06:23 AM

Hi

I am wondering if anyone here, runs at Byron Dragways in Illinois and if so are they planning on attending the first race of the season there on April 10th or 11th?

Mike
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Byron Dragway - 04/03/10 11:47 AM

Thats my home track - or was my home track. Raced there in 1964 when it first opened ( then Rockford Dragway ). I'm in the process of moving to AZ, so I will miss the opening day this year. If you have never raced there before, you will like the track. Neat, clean, they don't put up with any screw off's, no booze, most of the pits are paved, good PA system, nice long shutdown area. I'm going to miss it. Ron Leek ( track owner )treats the racers right. Have fun.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Byron Dragway - 04/03/10 04:29 PM

I don't think I will make it 10/11, due to work. Which is a good thing, since whoever employs me is my sponsor so to speak!!
I race there, the one thing that is weird/I don't like is you drive around a steel plate or board, (used to shield rocks etc. from cars in line behind burnout box)pull up to almost the starting line. Then BACKUP into the waterbox. It can be a little tricky.
They treat the racers good. But it puts the HOT in hotlapping in the later rounds.
Don

Attached picture 5905182-cordova.jpg
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Byron Dragway - 04/03/10 04:38 PM

After what I noticed last night, driving around a plate isn't such a bad thing. Cleaning my windshield and seen several small rock chips. I was thinking of replacing the windshield when I paint, but it seems senseless now.

I agree backing up is no fun: I almost ran over a kid on a moped last year repositioning myself in the groove.

Re: Byron Dragway - 04/03/10 04:45 PM

That's true - forgot about that, and it can take some getting used to. They always have a backer upper guy for each lane though - and the lanes are super wide.

Attached picture 5905212-Picture005.jpg
Posted By: DAKOTA512

Re: Byron Dragway - 04/03/10 04:46 PM

It opens on the 10th
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Byron Dragway - 04/03/10 04:50 PM

I love that place. Just too far away. Oh well. The first thing Ron asked me in tech, was what my middle initial stood for. I answered, and he called me King Arthur after winning the reaction time contest. lol. Fun track.

Re: Byron Dragway - 04/03/10 05:39 PM

Ya, when Leek is on his game and at the mic, he can be hilarious.
© 2024 Moparts Forums