Moparts

The Direct Connection Test Car

Posted By: ZIPPY

The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 04:26 PM

Four of my friends and I have been working on this '08 Challenger over the last several months, it still isn't quite "done" (are they ever?) but thought you guys might want to check it out anyway.

If you're interested, here are a few pics from this past weekend:

Attached picture 5896500-dctc1.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 04:27 PM

Attached picture 5896503-dctc2.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 04:32 PM

Zippy... where are they working on it at... cool project
Is this a Chrysler sponsored project

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 04:34 PM

Seems like there was some interest

Attached picture 5896515-dctc3.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 04:36 PM

What the heck is this guy looking at?

Attached picture 5896517-dctc4.jpg
Posted By: dOoC

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 04:48 PM

Direct Connection ?

So Mopar Performance is NO MORE ?

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 04:48 PM

Quote:

Zippy... where are they working on it at... cool project
Is this a Chrysler sponsored project

We're working on it after hours, mostly at our own place in north Oakland County.

The car belongs to Chrysler, Chrysler provided the car and the wrap....but we have to come up with all the parts and provide labor/all the work on it. We have been very lucky finding parts sponsors who are interested in getting involved.

I wasn't at the event it was shown at, but heard it got alot of interest and positive feedback which was great to hear. We've got alot of time invested in this thing and will have alot more later.

I have a ton more pics.... if anyone's interested in seeing, let me know....have to resize them before posting.

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 05:13 PM

Quote:

Direct Connection ?

Parts= Mopar Performance
Service=Direct Connection

The parts are still Mopar Performance and that hasn't changed.

Direct Connection was reinstated in 2005, representing a major change in customer service/information.

Hope that clears it up somewhat. It's hard to describe Direct Connection in perfect detail because activities/tasks overlap greatly these days.

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 05:23 PM

DC ...service ? .... for just the MP line .. or for all of Chrysler ?

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 05:30 PM

MP

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 05:41 PM

That's a pack of cigarettes, not a pack of gum.

Think it'll fit in there?

Attached picture 5896604-bigturbo.jpg
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 05:56 PM

Zippy that car is BAD AZZ!!!!!!!

I think its great that they are letting you work with the car.

I would love to see any pic you post!!

Please keep us informed on what goes in the car!!

Oh and thanks again for everything you do!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/30/10 06:20 PM

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 06:48 PM

Since we can't live in somebody else's time (they don't make Deloreans and flux capacitors anymore), we're making our own good ol' days.

The Ramchargers are a big inspiration. Without the "we were the Ramchargers" book, I'm not entirely sure this project would have happened.

Take a look at the car behind the group. That's the exhibition car Garlits drove, complete with the signatures on the hood, etc and was the starting point.

Though everyone's smiling, things got off to a rough start. The water was never drained out of the 392 from when Garlits raced it, it had sat for a long time, and by the time we got it the block was badly rusted inside and freeze cracked. So the first thing we had to do was rebuild the motor, and check everything else out for proper operation etc.

The car already had a tci 904, 9" converter and 4.56 Moser axle in it, everything seemed fine after the engine rebuild (392 G3, similar to a crate motor but with a drag pak intake, same thing it had before) we hoped it was all ready to rock.

That wasn't the case. In initial testing we had no end of fuel system problems.....the car had been previously built with anodized hard aluminum fuel line, and all the anodizing was flaking off on the inside, which then clogged the filter AND all 8 fuel injectors. Nice. I couldn't even make it to the 60 foot mark without it dying. The picture above is from that session in November....

Fixed that, and then later before the snow fell, eventually it ran fairly consistant 10.30s. I don't recall mph, 60 foot time was somewhere in the low 1.50s.

Then the real work began.

Attached picture 5896713-dctcgrouppic.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 06:55 PM

Anyone remember what the DC test-car(mule-car) way back when was ?

Xtra points if someone has a pic of it !!
Posted By: cudarex

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 06:56 PM

Quote:

Since we can't live in somebody else's time (they don't make Deloreans and flux capacitors anymore), we're making our own good ol' days.

The Ramchargers are a big inspiration, no doubt about it. Without the "we were the Ramchargers" book, I'm not entirely sure this project would have happened.

Yep, 30 years from now someone will post that picture and say remember when.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 06:56 PM

The more pics you post of the new chally's the more I want one
Posted By: StewartP

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 07:08 PM

you talking about the 67 Cuda Hemi prototype ?
Posted By: StewartP

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 07:13 PM

List

Attached picture 5896750-RamChargerRoster1963.jpg

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/30/10 07:27 PM

Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 07:34 PM

Quote:

I keep thinking Bauman's Whale, but I think they had a number of test cars all over the place so to say.

Stewart, did you get that list from The Koffel's? I remember Susie showing me one of those that she had kept with her in a binder.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 07:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Fred thanks for that picture. I loved the old round tower at Tulsa. Brings back a lot of good memories. Jim
Posted By: mike s

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 07:53 PM

White 1970 Duster was one.
Posted By: Race&Resto

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 08:01 PM

Quote:

Anyone remember what the DC test-car (mule-car) way back when was? Xtra points if someone has a pic of it!!

I'm assuming you're talking about the first race car that they used with Direct Connection logo's on it. If so then I think it was a white Duster or Dart w/stripes, or maybe it was a red Duster or Dart that they used on the mid-70's DC catalog cover, anyways there were several other race cars used in DC magazine ad's over the years.

It would be cool if someone used the old Paul Rossi colors on their new Challenger drag-pak race car though!

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 08:51 PM

I guess we could rename this
"Direct Connection, Then and Now", nice additions guys thank you.

So....we rebuilt it, fuel system problems troubleshooted and fixed, and raced with the only thing available at the time....a stock 6.1 block, with all the parts on it to make it a 392, + the drag pak intake and throttle body, etc......or at least that's what I thought it was at the time.

Attached picture 5896910-dctc5.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 08:59 PM

That "eh, it's just a stock block, might as well use it" piece turned out to be numero uno: 2008 Drag Pak 001, the very first drag pak engine block that was supposed to be used in the car, but apparently was not!

It's kind of cool that the first one that was cracked/junk was not the original engine the car was first built with. Maybe someone thought this one was no good or something?
I dunno. It ran fine for us. Nobody seems to know why that block was just left laying around, it'll have to remain a Mopar Mystery....but I'm glad we got to use it for awhile.

It's tucked away for safe keeping now.
And this time without any water in it

Attached picture 5896928-dctc6.jpg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 09:03 PM

Rich....That is cool!! You are now a part of history!! More pics,please!!

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 09:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I keep thinking Bauman's Whale, but I think they had a number of test cars all over the place so to say.

Stewart, did you get that list from The Koffel's? I remember Susie showing me one of those that she had kept with her in a binder.

NONE of the pics have loaded ...so I don't know what has been posted ....

But HERE ... sixpackdodge .... The WHALE ... ..another name of THE CAR !

Stewart ... there COULD have been a 68 car but I was in the service then. I went out to Milan in the middle/late 70's when they were testing "regular" stuff like we use here ... converters, intakes, tires etc ETC .....

THOSE guys working on that car were FLOGGERS .... made most of us here LOOK LIKE pure 1st graders !

... like during a torque-converter test .. they would run the car at say 2:00pm ..... then change the converter ... guess when the car was ready to test(at the starting line) again ?

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 09:24 PM

Turbonetics suggested one big, trash can lid-sized turbo rather than two small turbos....along with their intercooler which was the size of a small dog house. They're the gurus, so we got what they recommended.

After many brainstorming sessions it appeared it would all work....large amounts of steel and aluminum tubing were graciously donated by sponsors....several mockups ensued, alot of time was spent on this thing, and our resident fabricating genius went after it hard.

Some of the inspiration for the layout was, oddly enough, from a 2002-2005 5.7 Dodge Ram truck. They use a small offset AC condensor......we thought, shrink the radiator down, move it to the side like the Ram AC condenser, and mount the turbo up front. It's a drag car, it doesn't need a huge radiator anyway (hopefully).

Attached picture 5896973-dctc8.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 09:28 PM

You'll notice here we got away from the Drag Pak intake. Though an awesome piece, we couldn't figure out a way to plumb it and keep it all underhood with the DP manifold.

The only other intake we had was a used, bone stock 6.1 Hemi intake....nothing particularly exiting there, but the way it worked out, the plumbing came out super clean with the intake mounted backwards (throttle body facing the firewall).

When I saw what our on-staff fabricating guru had come up with, I was glad I kept my mouth shut about the other intake I was thinking of (I was briefly considering trying the 5.7 crate intake, maybe after a few hours of grinding to match the 6.1 heads).

More coming

Attached picture 5896978-dctc9.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 09:29 PM

Attached picture 5896983-dctc10.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 09:31 PM

Intercooler

Attached picture 5896987-dctc11.jpg
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 10:26 PM

You lucky dog! lol Lookin' good!

Have you weighed it?

Looks like something Kurt Busch would want to check out first chance he gets!

So that's the Garlits Mile High Nats exhibition car in a new wrap. Did anyone ever do anything with the Judy Lilly exhibition car? I guess that's the one they had at the PRI show?
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 11:08 PM

Quote:

Red 1975 Duster. Then they used the old Flack and Comstock small block gasser car which was a 76 Dart Sport.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/30/10 11:35 PM

Man that should make some steam, zippy! How much HP are you shooting for? And what class will it run in?

(I really like that SS intake, too, i'd almost get a GEN III hemi just for that!)

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/30/10 11:46 PM

Posted By: hemiparts

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 12:53 AM

are the graphics packages avaible from folks we used to get the barbwire and the other graphics pacakges from or is that something ya'll put together ???
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 12:59 AM

Quote:

Bill Styles referred to this as the original test mule that he drove when we spoke at the Hemi Reunion

Attached picture 5897436-IMG_1159.JPG
Posted By: Race&Resto

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 01:24 AM

Is it just me, I was wondering why you guys are turbo-charging an old EDSEL, sorry but just had to!
Posted By: A38s!

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 01:28 AM

You could almost chuck the headlights and do the turbos there.
Posted By: instigator

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 01:39 AM

Looks like someone is going to feel power like they haven't felt before!

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 02:18 AM

Myron, I sure wish I had more info on what cars end up going to what shows, but I'm usually not a part of those discussions. I don't usually know about any of that stuff until long after it happens...You've PMd me asking for info about show stuff so many times now, and I always feel bad because I never know anything...sorry about that....it's just the way things are right now.

As for the Lily car, I believe it has been mothballed about 2 miles from my house in Auburn Hills. There it sits, far as I know.

And you bet: I do feel very lucky to be involved with it!

AFAIK the graphics wrap package is exclusive...

We have not weighed it, however we've probably added about 100-150lbs to it with all the turbo stuff which would put it around 3250 dry. But then it's going to take a whole bunch of ice water to fill the intercooler, and we're looking at other liquid coolers, safety items need to be addressed, etc which will probably tack on a tad bit more weight. At that point, we'll probably be looking at ways to take the weight back off again without butchering it (we realize the historical significance of it...the only cutting has been for intercooler plumbing....easy to restore).

Sorry I have to be a little bit mysterious re: the HP target and all the gory details....you never know, I might decide to write a book about this someday. I will say the turbo should be capable of 20lbs of boost, though. Nobody expects the 904 and the 8&3/4 to be able to handle that, the stock block is probably a bad idea so that has been changed, radial stocker slicks were never really made to do what we're doing, and so on...so there is alot of work left to do.

It's being built mostly to push the G3 Hemi envelope as far as possible with one "power adder". Currently, alot of guys are boring stock blocks paper thin, sleeving all 8, boosting them AND spraying them until the sleeves let go in their 4300lb 4 door Chrysler product.... It's getting out of hand...there has to be a better way, so we are going to test a new engine block that MP has not released yet to see what it will take. More info on that tomorrow.

Hope you guys enjoyed the pics, I'll post a few more soon.

Good times ahead

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 02:48 AM

I'll be waiting

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 03:12 AM

Very cool project.... I was involved in projects sorta
like your but not quite up to that par but fun none
the less... the big thing with the projects I worked
on we didnt have to hunt down the sponsors like your
having to do... we could ask and magically parts would
show up but like you most of the time was on my own
time(after work but I had a good boss that would let
me slide)..... looking forward to hear how this comes
out

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 03:21 AM

Zippy,

Don't worry about it. I, like everyone else, appreciate all the info you do provide. It's cool to have someone "on the inside" but there is no way to know everything that's going on, and, as you mentioned once, you can't share certain information. I probably don't help matters by asking too many questions. I feel like a little kid looking through a store window at a shiney new bicycle, but only have a handful of change. At least there is a store employee who can tell us whatever cool stuff he knows about it.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 03:42 AM

Quote:

Here is a photo of the car being tracked with a green laser.

Attached picture 5897938-WhiteWhale.jpg
Posted By: YGBSM

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 12:41 PM

What an awesome project! Yes, definitely post more pics and information! So that's what happened to DP #001? And how about identifying all the members of the team in the group photo you posted?

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 03:37 PM

From left to right: Rich, Al, Evan, Brian, Dave,

I'm sorry I can't post a directory with everyone's home address, contact information and so forth like that old Ramchargers document....the new good old days are slightly different that way

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 09:31 PM

Swap time. Much easier to rip the engine, trans, and crossmember out the bottom than it is to just pull the motor out the top. The engine is set really far back in these cars and it's just easier to drop everything.

After this shot, we put the TCI 904 back in for the show, but it has to come right back out again soon....

Attached picture 5899218-dctc7.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 09:35 PM

Here's the aluminum block, closeup.....

Attached picture 5899229-aluminum6.1.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 10:00 PM

Here it is hanging off the stand, with the drag pak oil pan and some very different looking plumbing showing in the front.

I had to change the pan, pickup, and front cover because all our existing stuff was cut/welded on/modified already ..... It also had a strange crank position sensor I've never seen before, it almost looked homemade and was covered in epoxy, but I was told it might have been for a Viper (?). Not sure what was up with that.

Again, this block isn't released to the public yet. Somebody has to test this stuff in the real world before it goes up for sale....might as well be us!

The combo is 440CI, 392 cam, I can't remember the compression ratio, and I'm not supposed to tell anyone about the heads so I better not say anymore
Sorry, I just turned a wrench to tell you the truth, and I didn't spec all the parts in it.

Hopefully we will be able to keep the crankshaft inside it....This block has billet steel 6 bolt mains, and looks pretty darned tough, but nothing in there appears super thick or super heavy. It's nothing like the Megablocks, R3s, or World Blocks I'm used to seeing from being around MP for the last 5 years. Newer technology.....

Attached picture 5899264-dctc12.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 03/31/10 10:06 PM

Quote:

The combo is 440CI, 392 cam, I can't remember the compression ratio, and I'm not supposed to tell anyone about the heads so I better not say anymore

Cool heads!

Will a spiffy new roll of the silver duct tape be included with purchase?!?

Seriously, cool build!
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/01/10 12:44 AM

Sweet!, That's the same block being shown at the NHRA events? I checked one out at Gator-Nat's. they were saying that it should hold 1000 hp. You'll soon find out! ( I just had to add my self to the conversation for historical purposes)
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/01/10 01:01 AM

I like it!!!!!
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/01/10 04:53 AM

Thanks for all the info Zippy. It is really cool indeed to hear that there is a group of guys inside Mopar that are taking this so serious. Wish I could be part of it!!

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/01/10 01:59 PM

Quote:

Sweet!, That's the same block being shown at the NHRA events? I checked one out at Gator-Nat's. they were saying that it should hold 1000 hp. You'll soon find out! ( I just had to add my self to the conversation for historical purposes)

Only 1000HP?

Uh oh, nobody told us that

Oh well, it's too late to change it now...

Sorry about the top secret heads Mark, just trying to keep myself out of trouble. The nicest way I can put it is, the heads don't actually exist yet, but these ones do

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/01/10 02:20 PM

Hope you've got some beefy pistons, good rods, and some killer wrist-pins in that thing...I know from experience...good rings also, no moly at that poer level...

To me looks more like 1500hp ability.

Post deleted by Defbob - 04/01/10 02:30 PM

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/01/10 03:50 PM

we're committed to it...so

Unfortunately I have no idea what was actually used in it, because all I did was swap some parts around on the outside. The actual build was left to a sponsor who swears up and down it can handle it...I'd feel better doing it myself but the thought was "OK, let's see if they're right". If it lets go, then I guess we will have to give all their parts back in 5 gallon buckets

We will be running a diaper, hopefully won't need it....

The plan is to sneak up on the tuneup slowly while trying to keep an eye on it, and it'll see it's first testing locally long before it does anything at an actual "show". If I remember to bring my camera, maybe I can post some updates later.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/01/10 03:58 PM

Awesome project

Post deleted by Defbob - 04/01/10 06:33 PM

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/01/10 08:43 PM

To tell you the truth Fred, I don't have the specs
on too much of anything because Brian was keeping track of that sort of thing, spreadsheets and all.

I hope to get my hands on that sort of info later, but for now am happy to contribute mostly labor and general ideas towards the project.

On the turbo, my usual answer is along the lines of:

"Big."
"Trash can lid sized"
"about 90 lbs worth"

etc

I realize that ain't particularly informative, but I hope to have more tech info later.

ATI graciously stepped up to the plate, and as a result we will be running their "There aren't any GM parts in this trans" 2 speed/converter/flexplate. We were fortunate enough to already have their Super Damper on the first 392, so we will just keep using it.

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/02/10 12:59 AM

Zippy,That is so cool Will this be tested in private???And if it is,,,,,will some un-named person be providing some video that we NEVER admitt to viewing??
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/02/10 01:07 AM

No matter how many of those new Challengers I see...they dont even come close to the original... BIG bulky car. You did a great job on it though.

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/02/10 01:44 AM

Al, we are video capable.... more than one team member has the goods needed to get that done. We haven't discussed it, but you never know

The baseline was at a smaller, sandy, dirt pits and a cornfield type of dragstrip locally (local guys will know where I'm talking about) and nobody batted an eye about the 10.30 car with BIG DADDY DON GARLITS in the window.

Like two people came and looked close at it, and that was it....so I think we'll be OK doing some future testing there for awhile....until we turn up the boost, after that we might be hosed and may have to travel further.

We can't really afford track rentals, and the track costs are coming out of our own pockets so we have to be careful. Splitting the costs up helps a bunch.

Yep it's a big car. I like big cars and am right at home in a B or C body, so I guess I like the new Challenger because it's basically the same size as a B body, especially the width.
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/02/10 02:07 AM

bring it down to 75-80 when you turn the boost up. It will hook there!

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/02/10 02:12 AM

Quote:

Al, we are video capable.... more than one team member has the goods needed to get that done. We haven't discussed it, but you never know

The baseline was at a smaller, sandy, dirt pits and a cornfield type of dragstrip locally (local guys will know where I'm talking about) and nobody batted an eye about the 10.30 car with BIG DADDY DON GARLITS in the window.

Like two people came and looked close at it, and that was it....so I think we'll be OK doing some future testing there for awhile....until we turn up the boost, after that we might be hosed and may have to travel further.

We can't really afford track rentals, and the track costs are coming out of our own pockets so we have to be careful. Splitting the costs up helps a bunch.

Yep it's a big car. I like big cars and am right at home in a B or C body, so I guess I like the new Challenger because it's basically the same size as a B body, especially the width.

Rich, so you had that out to the big L ... I assume
that was last year... if you can give me a call
when you head out again... I promise I wont look
LOL... if you want I can PM you my cell number,
let me know

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/02/10 02:32 AM

N/P Mike. The big L! Yep, it was last November. As long as nobody actually sees anything, that would be fine

We were all sworn to secrecy long before then, and had to wait until the the cat was let out of the bag at MATS.

We were thinking if it would hook there with the sand and all, then it would probably hook anywhere....and it's a bit more private than the other places we could go....but that was with the baseline combo so who knows.

Testing is months away, we got tons of work to do in the meantime, but I'll try to remember.

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/02/10 02:40 AM

Quote:

N/P Mike. The big L! Yep, it was last November. As long as nobody actually sees anything, that would be fine

We were all sworn to secrecy long before then, and had to wait until the the cat was let out of the bag at MATS.

We were thinking if it would hook there with the sand and all, then it would probably hook anywhere....and it's a bit more private than the other places we could go....but that was with the baseline combo so who knows.

Testing is months away, we got tons of work to do in the meantime, but I'll try to remember.

Shoot me a PM a week or so before you head out to
test... I know NOTHING ... I realize it will
be a WHILE.... good luck with the build
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/02/10 03:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Only 1000HP?

Uh oh, nobody told us that

Oh well, it's too late to change it now...

Sorry about the top secret heads Mark, just trying to keep myself out of trouble. The nicest way I can put it is, the heads don't actually exist yet, but these ones do

I guess they were just pulling #'s out of their [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] because you have not tested it yet!
Posted By: Mr340

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/02/10 12:11 PM

Hey Zip, I thought those photo's looked familar.

I was the Yellow Challenger you guys pitted next to but I didn't see a thing , As a Chrysler retiree I am also sworn to secrecy

Car looks good,and cool gig for you.

Gary

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/02/10 01:30 PM

Good deal

I'm pretty sure this motor has been run hard on a dyno NA, and has been torn down and put back together over and over.....so maybe that's where they got the "it'll hold 1000" idea from. Not sure, as I wasn't part of that process or that discussion.

It was just "we're going to put this in, here do it"....so we did it
Posted By: BIGBLOCK_KAT

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/03/10 02:59 AM

Rich, Keep the pics and progress info coming. I picked up Jimmy larussa's Challenger for a twin turbo project, So the info will be of intrest.
Posted By: Labratt

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/03/10 03:58 AM

Ha,Zip! Looks like a cool project! Best of Luck with it! The "BIG L"!!! Leave it to Raff! BTW...would this engine builder have a 248 area code??? Just curious! Randy B.

Attached picture 5904525-GTX005(Small).jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/03/10 09:12 PM

Quote:

I picked up Jimmy larussa's Challenger for a twin turbo project, So the info will be of intrest.

It's a relief to know that car isn't in limbo anymore, thanks for chiming in. Good to know, and congrats!

When all the info about the combo is rounded up in one place and confirmed correct (unlike the mess I posted), no problem sharing all the info to anyone interested.

Randy: They're out of Auburn Hills if that gives a clue...
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/05/10 05:27 PM

Glad to see some folks "Grab the horns" and make some new Mopar history Rich!!

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/12/10 05:36 PM

Thanks Dean!

Been doing a little more work on it lately.
Here is the ATI trans in all it's glory. We have to make a new trans X member to get it mounted, looks like the swap will be fairly straitforward.

Attached picture 5921606-dctc13.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/12/10 05:39 PM

We're also getting started on the fuel system, and had the intake pulled off for better access to everything.

You can get an idea why we put the intake on backwards in this pic. It's plumbed right into the cab from the intercooler.

Could the stock intake prove too restrictive at some point later? Maybe, but the stocker is so convienient to use why not give it a chance.

Attached picture 5921618-dctc14.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/12/10 05:43 PM

One of those shots taken for no particular reason

Attached picture 5921627-dctc15.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/12/10 05:48 PM

Looks like an aftermarket casting. Is that an ATI powerglide with a G3 front bell?

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/12/10 05:55 PM

After a bunch of internal discussion and some debating, we are going with a crank driven mechanical fuel pump from Aeromotive along with their regulator/filter.

We're not sure if we really need this much fuel pump, but better too much than not enough.

Our in-house fabricating genius is going to make some new fuel rails from the extrusions you see poking out of the box. Not because he wants to, but because nothing is going to fit anymore. We have the MP billet fuel rails on it currently which are fine for a regular 392... but they won't work with the 120lb injectors (!) and -12 line we're going to use so they gotta go. The injectors look like a miniature fire hose nozzle....

Attached picture 5921647-dctc16.jpg

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/12/10 06:01 PM

Quote:

Looks like an aftermarket casting. Is that an ATI powerglide with a G3 front bell?

Yep that's what it is. SFI-everything, and everything from ATI. ATI's flexplate is a real nice looking piece also, but I didn't get any pics of it (maybe next time).

We're probably going to have to take a shot in the dark with the coverter. There is no dyno information at this time, only an internal thought (hope?) of what it might make power wise. It'll probably be run the old fashioned way and then dynoed much, much later (if at all).

That is, if we don't bring the engine back home in a bucket.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/12/10 06:04 PM

Great stuff!
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/12/10 08:26 PM

this is very cool stuff

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/12/10 09:06 PM

Unless I missed it , are you staying with 9" tires or going bigger, if there is room?

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/13/10 01:39 AM

Quote:

After a bunch of internal discussion and some debating, we are going with a crank driven mechanical fuel pump from Aeromotive along with their regulator/filter.

We're not sure if we really need this much fuel pump, but better too much than not enough.

Our in-house fabricating genius is going to make some new fuel rails from the extrusions you see poking out of the box. Not because he wants to, but because nothing is going to fit anymore. We have the MP billet fuel rails on it currently which are fine for a regular 392... but they won't work with the 120lb injectors (!) and -12 line we're going to use so they gotta go. The injectors look like a miniature fire hose nozzle....

Going to keep the cell in the trunk?...only 120lb injectors....don't plan on making as much power as I thought! ...
really going to run #12 to the rails....way, way overkill.
Posted By: Ranger50

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/13/10 02:16 AM

Quote:

That setup just doesn't seem to make sense to me. I have personally ran -10 line with a Weldon 2025 to 1/2" rails and 83# injectors up at 600rwhp and have seen even more power, ~1000rwhp, from the same setups. With 70# of FP, you aren't going to lack any flow problems until you run out of volume.

One other question, why not cheap-o 160# injectors??

Brian
Posted By: Mopar#1

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/13/10 11:50 PM

Zippy meant -12 to the pump, -10 to the Y, -8 to the rails.

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/14/10 12:23 AM

Yep, sorry about that...my statement didn't make any sense to me either after I re-read it a few times!

As Mopar #1 stated it's -12 to the pump, and then after that it steps down to smaller lines. The smaller line will fit the rail without a problem but the bigger injectors sure won't, and I messed up that particular detail. Trying to talk on the phone and type at the same time doesn't work too well....

Myron I think we will be looking at different rear tires, radial stocker slicks really weren't designed to work with a car like this.... There is a little bit of room left on the inside but not much...it might or might not be practical to use that space up but maybe not, depending on wheel selection etc. Haven't researched it yet but should probably start.

I'm going to be doing more wrench work on it over the coming weeks (which really means I'll be slacking off on pics). There probably won't be another update for awhile but if anyone has any comments or questions, feel free to chime in.
Posted By: bobbyb

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 04/14/10 12:08 PM

Looking good Zippy!

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 01/06/17 06:24 PM

Someone brought this up today and I had to go look and see if the thread was still there. Glad it still exists.

This is, of course, all ancient history now (and I'm also two jobs past this, still an automotive guy but not there anymore....and no longer have any idea what the heck anyone there is doing...or not doing...whole other topic) but man, I am really glad I was there and did everything that I could, when I had the opportunity.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion.
Posted By: BradH

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 01/06/17 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By ZIPPY
Someone brought this up today and I had to go look and see if the thread was still there. Glad it still exists.

grin
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 01/06/17 09:13 PM

Was/is there some other thread with the results?

This one just seemed to fizzle out before any details were revealed.

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 01/06/17 11:10 PM

It sure did fizzle out...there was a loss of interest all the way around. I may have mentioned the results somewhere else, can't recall.

ET was 9.24 in testing, I can't recall mph but it was a bigger number I definitely couldn't relate to comparing to my slow-ass street/strip personal experience. I'm sure my partner and/or engineering lead could remember MPH if asked.

I've attempted a bunch of times to document projects and results here over the decades(!), and it usually doesn't work out...this is usually what happens....
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: The Direct Connection Test Car - 01/07/17 04:17 AM

twas an exciting time....
© 2024 Moparts Forums