Moparts

compuflow vs muscle motors

Posted By: jef408

compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 10:57 AM

not trying to stir the pot or anything but would like to know who people recomends between the two builders and everyones experiences.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 11:44 AM

only bthing i know is Compuflow wont ship a motor.
i had to wait 7 months till he delivered it to Carlisle for me. He did a very nice job on my shortblock.His head work is better than Porters too.
I wouldn't hesitate to get a motor from Muscle Motors. it looks like he knows how to make some power.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 11:55 AM

Best machine in Detroit both perform porting on heads and built serious power short block and long block engine combos.

They will ship.
Works of art indeed.

Compu flow is also good.

Never worked with Muscle motors.
Posted By: supercomp

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 12:47 PM

Probably neither does their own porting. Although I wouldn't hesitate buying from Muscle Mike.
Posted By: Bob_Spelic

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 12:52 PM

I have not used Musclle Motors so I cannot speak to thier abilities.

I have been using Nick Wilson at Compu-Flow for the past 10 years and cannot say anything bad about Nick and his abilities. His flow bench numbers seem a little low compared to others but the engines perform as predicted. Customer service is as good as gets.

I started with Nick in a 14 second Dodge charger with 906 heads. My dragster runs 8.3's with a 493 and EZ heads. I pick up a 572 from Compu-Flow later this week.

As far as shipping goes, I don't know if he can ship. Call Nick and discuss it with him. 330-725-7591. He is not in the shop today, and returns tommorrow.

bob spelic
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 12:53 PM

Quote:

Probably neither does their own porting. Although I wouldn't hesitate buying from Muscle Mike.

I believe Nick does his own porting. Compuflo is a good place to get your power from. Yery knowledgeable and won't oversell you on anything you don't need.
Posted By: BradH

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 12:59 PM

Quote:

... His head work is better than Porters too.

Not from my experience. Nick's a good guy, but I'll continue to give my $$$ to Dwayne.

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 01:04 PM

I must admit I never heard of compuflow. Do they have a website?
Posted By: cudabin

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 02:11 PM

I would recommend dealing with a shop that is local to you...

Other than that, all shops can do good work, the question is how much attention do they pay your motor if they don't know you and you aren't around to follow the build?

My two cents.

Arnie
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 02:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I believe Nick does his own porting. Compuflo is a good place to get your power from. Yery knowledgeable and won't oversell you on anything you don't need.

Nick does do his own porting, he did my 440-1's. He will make recommendations about your combo, but does not try to push you on that product. The engine I just did for my Plymouth has been my first dealings with him and I will continue to use him from here out.

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 02:30 PM

Quote:

I would recommend dealing with a shop that is local to you...

Other than that, all shops can do good work, the question is how much attention do they pay your motor if they don't know you and you aren't around to follow the build?

My two cents.

Arnie

We build our own, I was just curious because I had never heard of compu-flow and thought maybe they sold parts.
Posted By: dbran451

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 02:49 PM

Nick just did my B1Bs heads got 331@700 intake and 259 exhaust good to work with I was happy with both service and results
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 05:27 PM

Supercomp let me get this right u never heard of Compuflow, and then u say they probably don't do the porting themselves, and u have been a member since 2004? I don't get that?

Nick does everything but cranks. And he's out there racing proving and improving his products.

He walks the walk.... Not taking anything from MM just that Nick is the real deal my 2cents
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 05:35 PM

I am planning to get a new set of heads in the next few months so I called most of the guys that are familiar to this board, Modern cylinder, Dwayne Porter, Compuflow, Shady Dell and Muscle Motors. I talked a little with all of them and I am now unsure of who to use. They all have great reputations and I had a great conversation with each and every one of them, they all seem to be close on price. I don't know who to buy from now because I'll feel bad not buying from the other guys. If I only needed 5 sets....

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/29/10 05:57 PM

Quote:

Supercomp let me get this right u never heard of Compuflow, and then u say they probably don't do the porting themselves, and u have been a member since 2004? I don't get that?

Nick does everything but cranks. And he's out there racing proving and improving his products.

He walks the walk.... Not taking anything from MM just that Nick is the real deal my 2cents

You notice I said probably. A large amount of builders do. That's all I was implying.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/30/10 09:13 PM

Nick is a honest guy and a straight shooter - one phone call is all it takes to find out if he is the right guy for you.

I used to help out there and he spends alot of time on the phone helping with a customers ENTIRE combination.. engine, chassis, etc.

He is also a WD for alot of other companies so he is more than just a machine shop/engine builder.

I can GUARANTEE the porting is done in house.

Crank work and balancing were the only things sent out.

I ordered some Ferrea hemi valves from MM one time and when I got them they substituted REV valves in the order. I wasn't to happy as I specifically asked them to verify the Ferrea valves were in stock - when I tried to return them I was told REV is the same thing (maybe they are, maybe not) BUT they did allow me to return them.
Posted By: 727builder

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/30/10 10:34 PM

Attached picture 5897119-boonscar0011111.jpg
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/30/10 11:47 PM

I have known Nick for over 20 years and IMO you won't find a better guy to do your heads and set you up with a solid engine.
He also will work within your budget and as stated he won't sell you something that doesn't make power
Gus
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/31/10 12:07 AM

Another vote for Compu-flow.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/31/10 12:07 AM

Quote:

Nick is a honest guy and a straight shooter - one phone call is all it takes to find out if he is the right guy for you.

I used to help out there and he spends alot of time on the phone helping with a customers ENTIRE combination.. engine, chassis, etc.

He is also a WD for alot of other companies so he is more than just a machine shop/engine builder.

I can GUARANTEE the porting is done in house.

Crank work and balancing were the only things sent out.

I ordered some Ferrea hemi valves from MM one time and when I got them they substituted REV valves in the order. I wasn't to happy as I specifically asked them to verify the Ferrea valves were in stock - when I tried to return them I was told REV is the same thing (maybe they are, maybe not) BUT they did allow me to return them.

You won't go wrong with Nick, he not only take's care of his customer's but he also join's us out on the track with his impressive car.

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/31/10 12:15 AM

Posted By: mopar65

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/31/10 12:51 AM

Dang Eric that is a nice looking car . man i wish i could get back into a old B body again.Mopar65
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/31/10 01:21 AM

Quote:

I think Nick has my old 64' post car...

I have Nick's old '68 Fastback car

Have dealt with both on a professional level for years without issue.

Seing as Nick is a close friend and local to me I wil refrain from recommending one over the other. Both are capable shops.

Greg
Posted By: orangeduster

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/31/10 01:48 AM

Hands down Muscle Motors . Mike is a great guy. He will go out of his way to help you @ the track on the phone in person . Anytime i'm @ a race and Muscle Motors is there you will see Mike giving his customers and other racers a hand .Thats my .
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/31/10 01:54 AM

I've had bullets from both Nick and Mike - both are great.

Nick's ran better than most people said it should have.

Mike's has not yet run as well as it is supposed to - but in complete fairness I haven't done much with it just yet. It feels like it will be as strong as advertised once a few things get sorted out.

I would not hesitate to recommend either one.

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/31/10 02:48 AM

Posted By: theclutcher

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/31/10 01:39 PM

Nick was there when I needed a hand.
I support as many shops as I my budget allows. Compuflo, Koffels, Weber all good local enterprizes.

Attached picture 5898309-IMG_0557(Small).JPG
Posted By: MAXEDWEDGE

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/31/10 02:12 PM

MUSCLE MOTORS WILL STICK IT TO YOU BEFORE YOUR DONE . I M O THEY HAVE A VERY SHADY OPERATION OVER THEIR . WHEN YOUR BUYING THERE YOUR BEST FRIEND AND WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM THEY DONT CARE AND DONT TRY TO MAKE IT RIGHT. USE ANYBODY BUT THEM
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/31/10 03:28 PM

I have a 500" rotating assembly from MM. It's 7 years old And still running as strong as ever. I have not had the pleasure of dealing with compuflo so I can't say good or bad about them.
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: compuflow vs muscle motors - 03/31/10 04:16 PM

To compare flowbench numbers, you have to know what the vacuum reading the flow bench is calibrated to. Big difference in the number for a bench calibrated at 28" vacuum and one calibrated at 10" vacuum.
© 2024 Moparts Forums