Moparts

HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners

Posted By: Zapp

HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/22/10 04:55 PM

I am having my Hemi built ad was wondering if you kind people could post some pics of your Air Filter set-ups. Its going in a Challenge but pics of anything appreciated.

BTW this is not a resto or a Number match car all ideas welcome.

Thanks
Posted By: Lee446

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/23/10 01:41 AM

I am watching this one as well!

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/23/10 07:18 AM

Sadly nothing to see here yet
......anyone???
Posted By: Mac's Hemi 64

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/23/10 12:20 PM

What intake and carbs are you using?
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/23/10 01:13 PM

here's what i'm planning on using. i bought this air cleaner at summit racing (pt# sum-g288. i think that's the #. i bought it off of the return table at summit and there wasn't any info with it.). the spacing on the base isn't right when you get it but i was able to open it up to fit the mp crossram with the correct holley carbs. if you can do any fab work at all you can do this also. i haven't ran the car down the road yet so i can't say how well it works at this time. dave

Attached picture 5882369-DSCF1058.JPG
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/23/10 01:17 PM

from the other side

Attached picture 5882373-DSCF1078.JPG
Posted By: curbman68

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/23/10 01:26 PM

This is what I used. A little pricey, but worked well.

Attached picture 5882386-082.jpg
Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/23/10 01:38 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....................................

Attached picture 5882408-Hemiengine.jpg

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/23/10 11:50 PM

I have the MP crossram also. I need to measure, but I am thinking of trying to fabricate a base out of aluminum that would let you use the six pack filter and lid,diagonally of course, if that works, take it to Paint it Black and get him to do them in fiberglass for a resonably priced, somewhat factory appearing air cleaner. The other plus would be that the K&N sixpack filters are available in 3" to better match the flow capabilities of the Holleys.

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/24/10 01:10 AM

My engine is being built at FHO and will have MP Manifold with FHO Billet tops with corrct Holley's, I believe the FHO tops plates still maintain the same Carb placement I will check with Tim.
Posted By: moparphillie

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/24/10 02:31 AM

This is the best that I could do given the fact that the NEW Mopar Performance Cross Ram Intake is approx. 1 1/2" taller than the original intakes dating back to 1965. I purchased these ( 2 ) air cleaners from Jegs and had to cut down the bases and then re-weld the bases. They just fit under the factory style 1965 scoop...

Attached picture 5883849-JohnPhotosofHemiI.jpg

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/24/10 05:49 PM

What is the advantage of the FHO tops? What is different about them than the MP tops? I figured they were just plates to mount the carbs!

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/24/10 10:57 PM

Quote:

What is the advantage of the FHO tops? What is different about them than the MP tops? I figured they were just plates to mount the carbs!

When I asked if he was using them on my engine he replied "the billet tops are profiled and make quite a bit more power than the Mopar originals" I'll ask Tim for more info if you like

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/24/10 11:25 PM

You bet! I am interested in a set. I looked on their site but did not find them. I wonder how much they are and how much power they are worth?

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/25/10 12:59 PM

Just in from Tim
"We sell the cross-ram tops for $300 pair. Hp increases depends on total output of the engine. A 500hp engine will see little increase, and one of our NSS 1000hp 604’s will see more than 50hp, as their air flow requirements are quite different. The stock covers tend to warp and leak quite a bit as well, along with being ugly"

Over to you man, call or email Tim he is great to deal with.

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/25/10 03:37 PM

Thanks, Zapp.
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/25/10 09:27 PM

i run 10.40's with these

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/25/10 09:38 PM

whats so different than these?

Attached picture 5887010-HEMIREUNION69HEMIRR65DODGECORONET838.jpg

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/26/10 12:30 AM

Flow therefor Power, dont know how it is achieved but assume that all the work is done on the flip side as the flat top gives nothing away.

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/26/10 01:22 PM

Guy's, on a related note, I just put my MP crossram on for the first time. With stock type tin valve covers, I like to never got the covers on! I actually had to take the motor mount loose on the passenger side to jack the motor up to clear the shock tower. The plenums overlap the v/c a lot and I can't get all of the top nuts on the v/c's . It will be a PIA to pull the covers for valve adjustments. Any tips ? 68hemi gts, who's covers are you running? They have deep scallops for acces to the v/c nuts. Thanks!
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/26/10 02:27 PM

It is pretty common to mill the sides of the plenum for relief for the valve covers.
I know that Jeff @ MCH does this when he mods the internals of the MP Cross Ram.
My

Mark
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 03/26/10 10:48 PM

Quote:

Guy's, on a related note, I just put my MP crossram on for the first time. With stock type tin valve covers, I like to never got the covers on! I actually had to take the motor mount loose on the passenger side to jack the motor up to clear the shock tower. The plenums overlap the v/c a lot and I can't get all of the top nuts on the v/c's . It will be a PIA to pull the covers for valve adjustments. Any tips ? 68hemi gts, who's covers are you running? They have deep scallops for acces to the v/c nuts. Thanks!

i have indy valve covers, actually ground on the intake so much i put holes in it and had to do some patch work, just to get the intake to fit on. definatly don't recomend their valve covers with a cross ram. i have a buddy who's got Barton covers on his cross ram, they look to fit alot better.
Posted By: mo-dart

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 01/17/12 12:50 AM

Quote:

Hey there I was wondering if you can tell me exactly what year,model, and motor this air cleaner came on. I am building a small block with a str-12 manifold and thats the air cleaner. Thanks
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 01/17/12 01:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey there I was wondering if you can tell me exactly what year,model, and motor this air cleaner came on. I am building a small block with a str-12 manifold and thats the air cleaner. Thanks

that would be an aircleaner for a 64-65 race hemi. Rick allison @ a&a transmission builds repos that are very nice and expensive.

my mp crossram with barton (i believe stage V may cast them but not 100%) valve covers. never ground on the outside and them come off pretty easy. i have an adjustable engine limiter and have to "pull" the engine to the drivers side to get the passenger cover off

Posted By: curbman68

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 01/17/12 03:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As was said mine is an original 64/65 Race Hemi air cleaner. For the money a repro is probably a better deal, most originals you will find would need to be rechromed which adds to the expense. A&A Trans sells the repros in individual pieces, so maybe you would be best just to buy the top and make a custom base as I don't know if the carb spacing on an STR manifold would be the same as a Hemi crossram, kind of doubt it. It would look very cool when done though.
Posted By: moparclown

Re: HEMI Cross Ram Air Cleaners - 01/17/12 03:14 PM

I run a str12 on my street/strip car with the twin velocity stacks.

Attached picture 7022944-000_1942.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums