Moparts

Ring question

Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Ring question - 03/20/10 10:16 PM

So Hastings claims their race rings are the exact same material as Speed Pro Pro series yet they call for about +.008/+.010 more ring gap??? Whats the deal there? I am sure the engine gurus on this site can help with this. I think I would like to use Hastings in the future cause I can get a single ring but they come with a big gap from the factory from the ones I received today. Any of the gurus here use Hastings or have a preference?
Posted By: eds dart

Re: Ring question - 03/21/10 12:01 AM

I just broke a speed-pro file fit ring the other day. Machine shop claimed he couldn,t get a single ring so he got me a hasting ring set for a cylinder, file fit also. put it all together and did a leak down on that cylinder. it would barely blow 60%. took it back out and found the second ring not touching the cylinder on almost 50% of its circumference. top ring wasn,t touching on 10% of its circumference. Googled the part # speed-pro ring i needed and jackpot. when it came in the mail filed it , put motor together and leaks 92%. Did i get a bad set? who knows, i have Hastings rings in my back-up motor and they leak great and work good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums