Moparts

440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience

Posted By: Albert Lee

440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/20/10 05:29 PM

Does anyone have any experience with subject $135 balancer. Application is a drag race 500 Hp 440(RB) with 727, low 11 second '64 B Body.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: domingo

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/20/10 05:46 PM

Their cranks and rods are OK. But iD SUGGEST TO GET A GOOD damper.
Posted By: ebodiesonly

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/20/10 06:55 PM

Quote:

Their cranks and rods are OK. But iD SUGGEST TO GET A GOOD damper.

What's the problem with their damper?
Posted By: rebel

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/20/10 07:07 PM

i'm using their 18.1 sfi fluid damper. it's been ok but a couple of meetings ago the crank bolt started coming loose. used a big MF ratchet on it & it's staying put but i'm thinking the damper might be out of it's league. i'm running 730ish HP. will upgrade to an ATI over the off season.
Posted By: notchbackcuda

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/20/10 09:01 PM

We have one of their balancers on a 3100lb 68 Barracuda with a 499 cu in b block (eagle stuff).
car runs 10.24 in the quarter. 4 years no problems.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/20/10 09:45 PM

Al...I have a Summit SFI balancer on mine...The same one Vernmotor uses...You have a Summit pro shop discount number?
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/20/10 10:03 PM

I got ATI now,,the summit one took a poop..
Posted By: tboomer

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/20/10 10:39 PM

What happened???

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/20/10 10:44 PM

Outside ring of it moves.back and fore 4 degs...Makes for a back door- door stop now.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/20/10 11:30 PM

If I can't find an ATI used it looks like I'll be using a Profesional Products Dampner.

Scott has used them on a few builds and has not as of yet seen any issues. He did mention that prior to installing you should loctite the bolts that are in it though.

FWIW, I have one of these on the 360 in the 72 and it's been fine. It was on the motor when we got it.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/21/10 02:08 AM

ive had the 440source sfi balancer for 4 years or so. No problems

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/21/10 02:38 AM

here Bill
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATI-440-M...=item5190f8122c
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/21/10 02:59 AM

Quote:

If I can't find an ATI used it looks like I'll be using a Profesional Products Dampner.

Scott has used them on a few builds and has not as of yet seen any issues. He did mention that prior to installing you should loctite the bolts that are in it though.

FWIW, I have one of these on the 360 in the 72 and it's been fine. It was on the motor when we got it.

Be careful with the Professional Products balancer. I put one of their SFI balancers on the cast crank 440 in my wife's car since the OEM piece was on the ratty side and the engine honestly did not warrant spending a ton of money on a 'good' unit. It's been on the car for about 4 years, but over the winter I noticed the outer ring of the Professional Products balancer would move left or right about 1/8".

I sent an email to Professional Products customer service dept asking if anybody else had an issue with this happening. They did not really give me an answer, but they did send me a brand new balancer with no questions asked. I did not have to prove I even had their balancer...just said I had that problem and a new one showed up on my doorstep. I figured they would want the old one back. Nope.

The replacement is on the engine now. So far so good, but the balancer is not degreed accurately. As an example, 36 degrees actually reads 38 on the balancer.

I was obviously not expecting a quality piece for that kind of bargain basement price, but at least their customer service is great.
Posted By: BradH

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/21/10 03:03 AM

Quote:

... the summit one took a poop..

Which Summit balancer? IIRC they offer more than one SFI version, a "cheapie" and a $300+ model that I've heard is made by Cyco / Pro Race.
Posted By: Maximus_Wedges

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/21/10 11:41 AM

Been happy with all my 440 source stuff! About the only thing I can say about the source balancer is it fits tighter than it needs to. I hear tell this is common with other off shore brands too.

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/21/10 01:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... the summit one took a poop..

Which Summit balancer? IIRC they offer more than one SFI version, a "cheapie" and a $300+ model that I've heard is made by Cyco / Pro Race.

Yes it was the cheaper one bracket race 165.00 lasted 300 runs about 1 1/2 years..never over 6000rpm 500 hp motor.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-C4279/
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: 440 Source SFI Harmonic Balancer (BB) Experience - 03/21/10 05:47 PM

Quote:

Been happy with all my 440 source stuff! About the only thing I can say about the source balancer is it fits tighter than it needs to. I hear tell this is common with other off shore brands too.

Got one my Hemi and it took a lot of fitting to get it on.
© 2024 Moparts Forums