Moparts

rusty distributor

Posted By: Big B

rusty distributor - 03/19/10 02:02 PM

My MSD distributor keeps rusting on the inside. The reluctor and pick-up are so rusted right now, the engine will barely run. Is there something I could spray in there to keep it from rusting?
Plus why does MSD build a distributor that rusts in the first place?
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 02:08 PM

theres a shocker. i have been saying MSD dist are junk for years

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 02:27 PM

I would have to agree with you. My mopar one lasted 25 years and not a spec of rust
Posted By: 727builder

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 02:28 PM

I've seen several of them do the same thing.
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 02:31 PM

Quote:

theres a shocker. i have been saying MSD dist are junk for years

Well quit saying it and put some CRC on them

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 02:38 PM

if i was in the market for a dist, it would be sunroofgtx's firecore dist
Posted By: emarine01

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 02:52 PM

My MSD is rusting also, My small block has always started on the first 1/2 turn till this spring atart up, hard to start and miss firing, cleaned up the rust and runs fine now, we run in a wet environment <mud> so this rust thing is gona get old fast, I am gona put a O ring in the bottom of the cap and see if it helps
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 03:02 PM

The first thing we do is spray the inside with WD-40 before installation.You can remove the relucter wheel and bead blast it,reinstall and set the air gap and spray it.Spray it early on at the beginning of each season.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 03:14 PM

Quote:

nothing against Rick, but how can you say that when there is no history to back up his new piece? they haven't even made it over here from china yet they may be great and have no issues as far as rust goes. but they may have the same problem. jut saying

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 03:17 PM

really a liitle maintenance goes a long way. my MSD is over 3 years old and no rust

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 03:19 PM

Quote:

really a liitle maintenance goes a long way. my MSD is over 3 years old and no rust

It must be dry in your barn
Posted By: R_Blaha

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 03:21 PM

Quote:

I've seen several of them do the same thing.

My MSD is also doing this, the car will run like like it has a slight miss. My dad has the same MSD distributor on his 496 and he has no problems.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 03:22 PM

99.9% of all BGR race and street engines use MSD distributers with no problems.The one in the 65 has been in it since 1994 As well as the 7AL box

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 03:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

nothing against Rick, but how can you say that when there is no history to back up his new piece? they haven't even made it over here from china yet they may be great and have no issues as far as rust goes. but they may have the same problem. jut saying

your right, it looks like the mopar dist inside so i like it. compared to "buy a bushing kit for my rotting msd dist" junk
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 05:56 PM

Quote:

How many runs?

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 08:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How many runs?

what does runs have to do with this problem? this motor has been in 2 different cars and I would guess 250 pases or more.

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 08:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It must be dry in your barn

barn? I don't have a barn. but I do live in Florida the humidity capital of the world I think. there is nothing wrong with MSD dist. nothing a little cleaning once in a while won't cure. and they a far better than anything mopar ever built.

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 08:26 PM

Quote:

The first thing we do is spray the inside with WD-40 before installation.You can remove the relucter wheel and bead blast it,reinstall and set the air gap and spray it.Spray it early on at the beginning of each season.

thats way to hard Bob
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 08:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How many runs?

what does runs have to do with this problem? this motor has been in 2 different cars and I would guess 250 pases or more.

Well if it doesn't go anywhere, not as likely to rust...
Sorry I assumed you were talking about your Challenger...

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 08:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How many runs?

Well if it doesn't go anywhere, not as likely to rust...
Sorry I assumed you were talking about your Challenger...

I am, I have put probably 60 passes here recently. rust it not related to passes. it could rust setting still.

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 09:10 PM

What no barn ...... But where do all your pinion angles live

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 09:38 PM

Quote:

What no barn ...... But where do all your pinion angles live

I have a tent out back that I keep all my angles in.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 10:04 PM

I've heard rust stories, but have never had a problem, but I also do the WD40 trick

Rickster
Posted By: jamesc

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 10:31 PM

i've had the same problem with my MSD distributor rotting and wonder if venting the cap would help. high voltage discharges (read sparks) generate ozone which is very corrosive and i wonder if that could be causing or adding to it. maybe someone should send this thread to MSD and see what they say. i can tell you one thing it is not an isolated incident.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 11:39 PM

I've had the same issues and wonder if it's just condensation build up
Posted By: jamesc

Re: rusty distributor - 03/19/10 11:59 PM

could be, could be ozone and moisture. either way venting it would probably help
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: rusty distributor - 03/20/10 03:19 AM

With the WD40 trick make sure the stuff dries up a little before you light the thing off as WD40 is extremely flammable - Did the WD40 trick one late night at the norwalk halloween classic - because of the heavy dew. I can tell you a mopar cap will not hold the explosion and be functional for next round!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: rusty distributor - 03/20/10 03:51 AM

Quote:

i've had the same problem with my MSD distributor rotting and wonder if venting the cap would help. high voltage discharges (read sparks) generate ozone which is very corrosive and i wonder if that could be causing or adding to it. maybe someone should send this thread to MSD and see what they say. i can tell you one thing it is not an isolated incident.

Maybe a anode would help..... I spray my dist with
wd40 every couple years and let it sit upside down
over night then put it in(lets it drip dry), still
looks good in there

Re: rusty distributor - 03/20/10 11:58 AM

Well I removed all the rust, sprayed it with WD40, put it back
In, and it fired right up. Guess I'll just keep spraying it a
Couple times/year from now on.
© 2024 Moparts Forums