Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/18/10 01:40 PM

http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/353101333
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/18/10 03:09 PM

Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/18/10 03:19 PM

Quote:

Tony????.....

why do you call me? DRDIFF any many others have the same view as I do. that was a good article and I see many that have moved out the 60s way of thinking. even Dave Morgan changed hiw views on pinion angle over the way it was written years ago. and admitted it was wrong to set pinion angle off of the shaft. ujoint phase is important in stopping vibration and other issues. some choose to ignore it some don't. simple as that. and only 1 pinion angle thread per month please
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/18/10 03:21 PM

I figured I'd stir a few of you up
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/18/10 06:31 PM

Quote:

Tony????.....

i don't think he was calling you- was he wondering if you had changed your name?

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/18/10 07:45 PM

Quote:

I figured I'd stir a few of you up

you couldn't stir somebody up if you tried

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/18/10 07:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Tony????.....

i don't think he was calling you- was he wondering if you had changed your name?

no I don't change my name every week or 2 like a bunch of people on here.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/19/10 06:18 AM

I like they guy who said something like...

Make the pinion parallel to the crank when the car is under power. So easy a caveman...
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 03:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Tony????.....

why do you call me? DRDIFF any many others have the same view as I do. that was a good article and I see many that have moved out the 60s way of thinking. even Dave Morgan changed hiw views on pinion angle over the way it was written years ago. and admitted it was wrong to set pinion angle off of the shaft. ujoint phase is important in stopping vibration and other issues. some choose to ignore it some don't. simple as that. and only 1 pinion angle thread per month please

I think MOST PEOPLE refer to it (properly) as setting the operating angle, THEN rotating the pinion down to get your pinion angle....
Except that Tony guy....

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 08:21 AM

This is how I define those terms:

Pinion angle: Relationship between the pinion centerline and the transmission centerline.

Operating angle: Slope of the driveshaft.

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 12:10 PM

Quote:

Pinion angle: Relationship between the pinion centerline and the transmission centerline.

EXACTLY so easy even some crazymoparguy should be able to figure it out. and operating angle means absolutely nothing because you can set pinion angle without the shaft.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 01:38 PM

Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 01:44 PM

Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 02:20 PM

wedgie you out did yourself on that one LMAO..Poor Tony everyone pick on him !

Posted By: emarine01

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 02:37 PM

Wedgie, you have been holding back on some creative abilities just for Tony
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 02:37 PM

Quote:

LOL!!!!!!!

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 03:51 PM

yea old Vedgie has been over on the bullet trying to find out how many stupid threads he can start.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 04:23 PM

Quote:

yea old Vedgie has been over on the bullet trying to find out how many stupid threads he can start.

here for old times sakes

Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 04:43 PM

what's a heated pinion angle?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 05:12 PM

Quote:

it's what happens when it's not right, and the U-joints vibrate.

that vibration creates heat.

or at least, that's what I read on the internetz!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 06:09 PM

Quote:

Thats when you use a torch to change the angle... LOL

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 06:10 PM

Quote:

Here's the problem with that definition, IMO....

Can you set the pinion angle in a vehicle with a two piece driveshaft?
Can you set the pinion angle in a 4x4, front or rear differential?

How??

(C'mon Quicktree.... )

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 06:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

here for old times sakes

You musta read it 100 times Tony, but once more won't hurt you....

http://www.markwilliams.com/driveshafttech.aspx

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 06:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How??

(C'mon Quicktree.... )

we drag race and work on drag cars not 4 wheel drives and 2 piece drive shaft equipped vehicles. go find you a 4x4 or bus forum I am sure they can tell you how they do it. either that or ask sixpackgut

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 06:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How??

(C'mon Quicktree.... )

we drag race and work on drag cars not 4 wheel drives and 2 piece drive shaft equipped vehicles. go find you a 4x4 or bus forum I am sure they can tell you how they do it. either that or ask sixpackgut

Hummm.... Can you say constant velocity joint

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 06:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How??

(C'mon Quicktree.... )

4x4 guys figure THEIR pinion angles are JUST AS IMPORTANT to their drivelines as you figure pinion angles are to your cars.
If you need to dismiss the actual definition when it comes to certain vehicles then so be it, but unless YOUR version of what a pinion angle's TRUE definition is can be used to set up a race car, a 4x4, a street car, or a 1978 Dodge 2wd pickup with a two piece driveshaft.... well, it probably means you should redefine what YOUR definition is, don't ya think?

I have NOOOOO doubt what you do to set up your pinion angle will work, and it most likely will be exactly what I do to set up MY pinion angle, it's your DEFINITION of pinion angle that has me scratching my head year after year.
An operating angle being the driveshaft slope doesn't even make sense to me, different driveshaft slopes to different tranny and differential angles, height differences etc would have "operating angles" that were defined by driveshaft slope all over the place.

From the Mark Williams site... once again, and as was posted above in a diagram or two by others....

"Operating angles in a driveshaft are the angles between the pinion, driveshaft and transmission centerlines."

That's the definition I go by.

It can be used for a street car, a race car, a 4x4, a bus, whatever, and it works. Once set the PINION ANGLE can THEN be achieved.

Left two columns are setting up the OPERATING angle, and then and only then is the pinion angle set. The right column is the PINION ANGLE, which is set AFTER the operating angle is set....

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 06:38 PM

you don't have to worry about what you call it. you will never make it to the track to find out

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 06:40 PM

Quote:

you don't have to worry about what you call it. you will never make it to the track to find out

This summer I'll be there.

I'll have an English cap and some Grey Poupon, but I'll be breaking parts with ya!

And you have to admit... you ALMOST hit my 6.66 prediction....

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 06:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll have an English cap and some Grey Poupon, but I'll be breaking parts with ya!

we ran 6.57 last week

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 06:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

we ran 6.57 last week

You are running nitrous or lightening the car or SOMETHING to get away from my predicted number, ADMIT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6.66 is your destiny......

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 08:54 PM

Once again...I don't worry about the driveshaft angle unless the suspension is severely raised or lowered.

If the U-joints are close to binding (ie. lifted 4 x 4 truck), I alter the transmission centerline a few degrees to straighten out the driveshaft angle. I set the pinion parallel to the transmission, then I roll the pinion downward "X" degrees to acheive the desired "pinion angle".

Any other method is strictly hit or miss.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 09:55 PM

Needed to add this thread to my favorites.

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/21/10 11:53 PM

Quote:

then I roll the pinion downward "X" degrees to acheive the desired "pinion angle".

I think everybody, or MOST everybody... does it the same way. It's just what is called actual "pinion angle" or how the actual "pinion angle" is set, by itself, that has people arguing... year after year.

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/22/10 12:36 AM

I cant figure out what all the fuss is over rear pinion angle, That's the easy one to do, its the front drive axle that's a PITA

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/24/10 08:54 PM

Alright...bumping this one back to the top instead of creating a new thread!

operating angle--the angle between the drive shaft to transmission and drive shaft to pinion, yes?

so, I want to set my operating angle first, THEN set my pinion angle?

or should I totally ignore operating angle and just make sure trans and pinion are parallel?

what is the preferred operating angle? isn't there a number that is preferred so that it promotes the needle bearings to rotate?

I can set this by shimming the trans shaft up or down, right?

THEN, once I have the operating angle, I set the pinion angle to be parallel to the transmission? or I set it to be 4-5 degrees nose down from the transmission?

WHY IS THIS SO CONFUSING?!?! I've read several times that you want to set the pinion to be parallel to the trans, THEN rotate the pinion down 4-5 degrees...WHY!? THEN IT'S NOT PARALLEL!

I realize axle wrap under acceleration will bring it back into being parallel, but I'm trying to chase down my vibration that is constant at certain speeds. it vibrates under acceleration, cruising, AND deceleration.

one place I read that if it vibrates on acceleration, to rotate it pinion down, and if it vibrates on deceleration, to rotate it pinion up.

what about when it always vibrates?

with the truck on jack stands, my transmission center line is about 2 degrees off from my pinion center line, so my angles definitely need adjustment...but do I set the pinion to be parallel to the trans NOW, or do I set it to be 4-5 degrees nose down from the trans? if I go nose down, won't that make my truck vibrate when cruising under light load and when slowing down?
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/24/10 09:53 PM

you turn the driveshaft 180 and see if it still vibrates.

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/24/10 09:59 PM

Quote:

nope. hadn't done that. Hadn't thought about it. I've heard that before but never understood why.

how does turning it affect the vibration?
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/24/10 10:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

nope. hadn't done that. Hadn't thought about it. I've heard that before but never understood why.

how does turning it affect the vibration?

it changes the weight if there is any to change.

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/24/10 10:20 PM

what weight? I'm confused...the drive shaft was balanced off the vehicle and is balanced. how does rotating it 180 degrees affect a neutrally balanced shaft? the front slip yoke would rotate 180 degrees with the shaft, and the rear yoke...wasn't in consideration when the shaft was balanced.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/24/10 10:45 PM

The vibration is either caused by the angles at the u-joints,drive train alignment or other componants.The shaft alone will not cause the issue unless it is damaged(bent) or yoke alignment is off or totally out of balance.Since it is a straight tube,with the correct yoke orientation and balanced I would look at the angles,alignment and componants.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Another heated pinion angle debate!!!!! - 03/24/10 11:16 PM

Quote:

what weight? I'm confused...the drive shaft was balanced off the vehicle and is balanced. how does rotating it 180 degrees affect a neutrally balanced shaft? the front slip yoke would rotate 180 degrees with the shaft, and the rear yoke...wasn't in consideration when the shaft was balanced.

When it was balanced it might be just a little off
and if the yoke is off a little you might have stacked
both amounts in the same position... if you turn the
shaft 180 it MIGHT cancel out... definitely worth
trying... it only takes a few minutes and cost nothing
© 2024 Moparts Forums