Moparts

Edelbrock heads ??

Posted By: johnnyrotten

Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 05:30 AM

I am currently bolting my junk back together to go to MATS and want some opinions on Edelbrock heads compared to a set of moderately worked 915's. I have a set of Eddie's laying around and I am thinking of throwing them on my 440. Here is a short spec list, trw 2295's, 304/272@50-555" solid cam, and basic oiling system. The 915's had stock sized stainless valves and were basically cleaned up and gasket matched. I ran it with an M1 intake and a 950hp holley. What gain do you potentially see from the edelbrocks? I also have a victor I could put on as well. All opinions welcome
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 08:41 AM

You cant go wrong with the modern aluminum heads compared to outdated , crack prone iron heads. As far as I know an out of the box Rpm head will make similar power to a ported factory iron head.

Bolt em on !

Depending on the car combo, even the lower $ Eddy Rpm's or 440 source heads can go REAL quick at the track.
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 09:12 AM

My car picked up a solid .2 plus when I went from ported 906's with big valves to edelbrock rpm's with just a light port clean up.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 10:22 AM

two tenths + and four MPH on my first run after swapping to a set of Eddy RPM CNC ported by MCH with no other changes
Posted By: Bighead440

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 06:03 PM

Be advised that the L2295F piston has a small dome with a centralized spark plug relief, and the Eddys have angled spark plugs that might contact the dome. I have never checked for this, but you should. Even a Ross domed piston has to be relieved to clear an Indy head's angled plugs... RB
Posted By: topside

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 08:47 PM

FWIW, my Eddy 84cc heads didn't flow their advertised #s OOTB, but they did respond pretty well to bowl & port work.
(Mine is a 440-port motor, not a Max Wedge deal).
I'm an aluminum fan when it comes to heads, for weight, port-work & repairability. I use the FelPro composite (1009?) gaskets, not metal, and run double springs.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 08:53 PM

I don't recall them listing an advertised flow #. All I recall is the advertised CC of the runners.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 09:06 PM

Quote:

I don't recall them listing an advertised flow #. All I recall is the advertised CC of the runners.

Bill I think in the beginning, they were hyping flow numbers in the magazine ads of 290-something. I've had three sets on two different benches that were no where close to that...

But to Johhny's question, they should be a gain over all but the most advanced OEM head...
Posted By: Chris_R/T

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 09:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bill I think in the beginning, they were hyping flow numbers in the magazine ads of 290-something. I've had three sets on two different benches that were no where close to that...

Yeah, they're saying 292. Scroll to the bottom

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/cylheads/chrysler/bb_perf_rpm.shtml

Doesn't give much info as to how they got those numbers though

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 09:43 PM

Quote:

How in the world did they figure that

IIRC mine folwed 268 OOTB

BTW Chris R/T

Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 09:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

BTW Chris R/T

well..you never know how many sets of heads to find the one that flowed the most....LOL

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/17/10 09:47 PM

The mystical 1 of 1 eddy head that was never reproduced
Posted By: stockerbill

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/18/10 12:41 AM

John Boy, Quit being a wussy and bolt on those old iron -1's on it!!! It will keep the front end down and plant you in the seat in high gear. You have everything to bolt them on so "do it"
Posted By: johnnyrotten

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/18/10 01:19 AM

Thanks for the replies. I had a similar shortblock to this with eddie's on it and was not impressed at all. Looking at them, I only see the weight,angle plug and smaller valve stem size as a benefit. The ports are far from impressive I will bolt them on and see what happens. If it's a turd I will spray the life into it
Bill, I have all the 470 parts together now, just need to get the block work done.I plan on stuffing that in sometime this fall. This engine will be my backup junker. Just want to go play untill then
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/18/10 01:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

BTW Chris R/T

The 292 was for the max wedge heads was it not?
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/18/10 02:17 AM

well i havent flowed my new ones i just got but
the past ones flowed pretty close to 285 -289
if you go by the numbers the eddies way out perform any stock head
Posted By: stockerbill

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/18/10 02:20 AM

Cool! See you and Pop in Vegas
Posted By: JcodeCharger

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/19/10 12:09 AM

Just to reinforce what others are saying. My small block Eddies flowed 217 stock on the intake with a 4.03 bore plate. Not 255cfm that Eddy says. I called the tech line and their response is that their numbers are accurate to 10% and that they use a 4.125 bore. That means they take the real number and inflate it 10%. I was really disappointed with the outcome. My J heads flow 255 and to put the eddys on would probably go slower.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/19/10 03:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/cylheads/chrysler/bb_perf_rpm.shtml

Doesn't give much info as to how they got those numbers though

They simply left out the part about the shop fan blowing another 30 cfm in there!! Or...to be fair to Edelbrock, maybe they used the bench at Westech...

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/19/10 03:36 AM

im sorry
we are talking diff heads
mine are big block
i can not say what the small do
i ve heard from several that the small block
may n ot be as good
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/19/10 03:45 AM

Quote:

Be advised that the L2295F piston has a small dome with a centralized spark plug relief, and the Eddys have angled spark plugs that might contact the dome. I have never checked for this, but you should. Even a Ross domed piston has to be relieved to clear an Indy head's angled plugs... RB

I have seen them together with no issues,,,, but check to be sure.
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/19/10 09:41 AM

Quote:

im sorry
we are talking diff heads
mine are big block
i can not say what the small do
i ve heard from several that the small block
may n ot be as good

Hey Dennis, dont be sorry, so is the OP.

Re: Edelbrock heads ?? - 03/20/10 03:22 AM

make any kinda head run time v/s monie
dan smith runs iron heads
has set of eddies (small block)
if they could run better than his irons he has
he would run-em
maybe a guy could run enough rpm ,right cam /comp/converter,
of course this is what we all chase
that ultimate creation
i like all others here come look listen
check ideas out see just how others run their combos and chose or not to chose that path
either by experience or exposure from close friends race cars
or lastly we just hand the duties over to an engine builder who builds something from nothing
and we run it
i just want to race
© 2024 Moparts Forums