Moparts

B1 Valve Gear Geometry ???

Posted By: sg66mopar

B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/12/10 08:23 PM

Would you run these heads as is or buy the correct length intake valves and start over?

It looks like the exhaust valves are pretty happy where they are but look at where the roller tip sits on the intake valve.

The stands can't be shimmed up because then the springs/retainers will hit the under side of the rockers.

Lash caps on the exhaust would make the valve tip heights about even but the ex. are about where they need to be already and that won't fix the intake valve problem.

Intake

Exhaust
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/12/10 09:44 PM

I think that I would shim them up to see how that helps and then deal with the issues on the retainers to rockers clearances and so on BTW, are these rockers the ones Koffel supplys with the kit? Just wondering, I buoght a poted kit two or three years ago and I have not got around to starting mocking that motor up yet
Posted By: supercomp

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/12/10 10:14 PM

Isn't there some blocks that go on there?

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/12/10 10:21 PM

Quote:

Isn't there some blocks that go on there?

Yeah, there's normally a rocker stand at the end but I left it off so the rocker would show. The rest of the stands are in place and the shaft height is correct.
Posted By: jafr

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/13/10 02:30 PM

You can't run them like that, if you do you will have the guides wore out in no time. Plus if you run the motor through a rotation and watch it will more than likely run the trunion off the back of the valve. I don't think that lash caps will fill that void. Looks like you will need a longer valve to get the right geometry. If you try and shim that mess you will run the intake off the front.
I can't believe they set the head up like that, the valves should be set up within a couple thou on valve height.
I'm not an expert just my opinion.
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/13/10 03:18 PM

Whats the spring PN, installed height of the E & I and how high do you intend to wind it up?

BTW, the ex looks pretty close.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/13/10 06:56 PM

Dick, have you tried the lash caps?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/13/10 07:05 PM

Quote:

Dick, have you tried the lash caps?

I`m not sure lash caps would help......the valve appears to be too long now. What about shimming the shafts to move the rocker outward more to get the roller closer to center?
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/13/10 08:01 PM

Lash caps wont help...You need to correct th valve stem height problem first....This will require the head to have the seats machined correctly.
Then machine the stands or shim them to get the correct geometry....
They are correct, no way will that work currently.
The person who set the heads up should have checked that out IMO...
Posted By: BradH

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/13/10 08:04 PM

No "band aid" solution I can think of is going to resolve that situation. Whomever did the prep work on the heads should have seen that coming and let the owner know it was going to need some $$$ and rethinking the parts combination to straighten that out. Just an IMO, naturally.

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/13/10 08:21 PM

Lash caps on the intake would make the problem worse. If I put them on the exhaust side they would get the valve stem heights closer but the exhausts are real close to right already.

This morning I mocked up 1 intake and 1 exhaust with no springs installed so I could run the gear through it's travel easily and take some measurements.

The intake rollers get pretty close to centered on the valve tip at somewhere over half travel. Not right in my opinion but maybe workeable. If I can't get new valves here pretty fast I'll probably put it together this way and hope for the best 'til next season.

The exhaust valves are .100 shorter than the intakes. I think they are just about right as is so if I can run them without lash caps they will probably be OK.

If I was to run it this way it would mean two different length pushrods.

If I can get the shorter intake valves that'll mean I have a brand new set of 5.50" long, 11/32" stem, 2.40" diameter titanium intake valves that I'm into around $1000 for sale. Anybody interested?

Shimming the stands up probably won't work. As the shafts move up they get closer to the spring and retainer which eventually causes them to rub at the rocker radius and from prior experience I can tell you that's NOT good.

Also, that would still leave the problem of two different height valve tips and different length pushrods.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 01:15 AM

well, that's a mess for sure. i'm curious about the valve spring installed height on both the intake and exhaust. can you tell us what it is currently...
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 01:42 AM

So why is Koffel backing away from this? there must be some reason he doesn't want to make it right. Did he do all the work? Help us understand what's going on. This sounds like an Indy story, not Koffel.

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 02:28 AM

DRAM, I'm going to measure that tomorrow. I broke both my pairs of Starrett dial calipers today. Had them since 1978! I'll set up everything and use a telescoping gauge and micrometer. My motor dude says the installed heights are both wrong.

Tom, Scott says they've been sending them out this way for years with no problems,

It's pretty hard to disregard what Mitchell says I need to do. Guy and Roy (Paola) have both been building serious race stuff for what, 40 years? Mitchell puts together 2000+ HP funny car motors that live as long as most bracket motors.

Guy's a good personal friend and he just wants to see my stuff live.
Posted By: go green

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 04:44 AM

That's not correct and I would not accept that "they have been building engine for XX amount of years and who are you to questions my experience" Bull crap.

#1 who cares what the installed height is ,if the valve length is wrong it will not work

#2 The intake is to long period .

#3 If they piled up the valve job so bad that the valve is .100 deep in the seat , they have no business selling heads. ( not to mention that you will have brutally bad air flow.

The B1 head is still a in line valve cylinder head. The intake and exhaust rocker arm have the same fulcrum point and are parallel in relationship with the valve .

You should have a 5.400" intake and a 5.400" exhaust .

Get on the horn and make them get you new valves.

The Koffels are pretty good at fixing there mistakes ,you just have to call them on it. ( If that was the vender that sold you the parts. )
Posted By: PUNK

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 06:19 AM

100%
Posted By: 72sat

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 07:20 AM

put lash caps on all the valves & shim the shafts as close as you can get to the retainers.if you keep these valves,you are not going to get around having diff pushrod lenths.or start over with longer exhaust valves.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 01:03 PM

Quote:

That's not correct and I would not accept that "they have been building engine for XX amount of years and who are you to questions my experience" Bull crap.

#1 who cares what the installed height is ,if the valve length is wrong it will not work

#2 The intake is to long period .

#3 If they piled up the valve job so bad that the valve is .100 deep in the seat , they have no business selling heads. ( not to mention that you will have brutally bad air flow.

Posted By: joshking440

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 02:59 PM

Have you sent scott the pictures? Im sure once he sees this he will correct it.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 03:16 PM

Wow, that's a mess I would not try to make that work, take it apart and measure
Posted By: go green

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 04:54 PM

Quote:

Tom, Scott says they've been sending them out this way for years with no problems, .

Well then they should have no problem selling those valves to someone else.

If you say the only differance between the intake and exhaust length is .100" then I would judge by your pictures that you valve job is spot on.

They are probably doing this modification to give you a greater installed height so you can run more lift.

It would of been better to have the exhaust +.100 , and put a .100" shim under the rocker stands and call it macaroni.

Or maybe get the 5.40" intake and have the heads assembled in a few hours.

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 06:14 PM

OK Guys

I appreciate the input. I also want to say my intention here was just to get an idea if it would be safe to run the heads this way. If I went to the head builder and said "fix this" I'm sure they would.

All I want to do at this point is get it put together as cheaply and quickly as possible but so it'll live, and not miss any more of the season than I have to.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/14/10 08:55 PM

Quote:

I also want to say my intention here was just to get an idea if it would be safe to run the heads this way.

No Sir, no way.
Posted By: kens avenger

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/15/10 12:34 AM

Nice Scott

Another happy customer
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/15/10 03:49 AM

Just for fun:
1. Changing the rocker height, stem height, lash cap etc. all change the geometry - they are not adjustments.
2. There is no "correct" valve length, only correct for a specific geo method (Miller, etc.), rocker ratio, and lobe height.
3. The position of the roller on the stem with correct geo only 1/32" from the edge will do less damage than centered by trashing the geo - which is what is advised several times here.

What to do:
STOP.
Set the geometry using the parts you have now.
Assuming mid-lift is your target, the roller should begin on the stem edge closest to the shaft side, roll across the stem to center @ 25% lift, continue across to 50% lift at the far side, stop, and reverse, passing through 75% on center and reaching full lift at the same position as closed.
If it does that, and the roller is too close to the near edge, you need to shorten both the stands and valves to separate them by the difference between the vertical stand position and stem axis. Too close to the far edge: raise both.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/15/10 03:55 AM

Ding Ding...We have a winner..

Chris..

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/15/10 11:59 PM

FWIW, I pulled an intake valve spring and lowered the valve by the suggested .100" then ran the valve through a couple cycles with a dial indicator to keep track of things.

With the .100 lower valve tip starting point the roller to valve tip relationship stayed real close to what polyspheric says we want to see.

Re: B1 Valve Gear Geometry ??? - 03/16/10 06:27 PM

In case anybody missed my "update" here it is again.

Scott contacted me and Koffel's is having Manley make me the shorter intake valves that my motor "Guy" (inside joke ) wants.

Still hoping to salvage a little bit of this season!
© 2024 Moparts Forums